Boorish behaviour on Seabourn

crwydryn

Such behavior is unusual on luxury lines as most (not all) luxury ship pax are not this inconsiderate. That is one of many reasons to cruise luxury lines, fly business class, and live in nice neighborhoods with more cushion between you and the next house.

However, there are still plenty of very well-off people, varying nationalities and countries and states or origin, who behave boorishly, in many different ways. As long as they remain a minority, in one location, and I have an escape ( e.g., I can go elsewhere like the Club such as lincslady suggests) I can manage, and then decide if I want to book again or not.

But SB needs to deal with pax if their behavior is over the top, either in degree of excess or frequency. Toddlers in diapers should expeditiously be removed from pools.

Private bars and restaurants can decline to keep serving drinks to drunk people, at their discretion, and can also ask overly rowdy people to tone it down, noting other customers are being disturbed. So can SB. On site management should have done something, right there, not just express empathy after the fact. They can even argue it is a safety issue if people are that drunk, but they do not have to.

The excess late caviar ordering, though it can be perceived as piggish, is irrelevant, given SB insiders know you have a right to order it whenever you want ( though it is not regularly advertised). The topics of conversation, if quiet or in normal tone, should also be irrelevant, or we will get onto a slippery slope of censoring people for words and topics perceived as offensive, an ever- growing list these days. Disruption of the pleasant, luxury lounge with soft music environment, for long periods, day after day, is what really mattered. It should have been nipped in the bud after polite requests to the offending pax were ignored.

We had a toddler in diaper in pool episode on a recent cruise- I was wondering whether to report it, when a junior member of staff walked by, telephoned a senior member, who came out and quietly asked the (somewhat unwilling) father to take the toddler out, which did happen without too much fuss. That is, in a way, an easier problem to deal with than whether people are being overly noisy, drunk, etc., because it is obviously a yes or no situation. As Henry says, it is easier to offload someone who has taken drugs, attacked someone on board, etc., than the more nuanced situation of people being very annoying.

I could write a book on Crystal passengers behaving badly and being very annoying. Who wants to hear a guide when someone's call to their lawyer or FaceTime with the grandkids at that millisecond is of earth shattering importance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have seen this behavior across the board. Crystal, Regent and Seabourn oh I forgot SS. No line is exempt unfortunately.

I guess I've been lucky then. Or perhaps it happens more often when people are on their home network rather than abroad.

Yes, we had our worst experience of this kind of behaviour on Crystal, when a hundred strong group of Venezuelan insurance salesmen turned up and promptly took over the pool areas everyday from lunchtime onwards. Loud drunken behaviour and inappropriately scantily clad obese women was enough to put us off crystal for a looong time. Crystal were not interested and just kept plying them with alcohol to make things worse. Not a good experience.

I could write a book on Crystal passengers behaving badly and being very annoying. Who wants to hear a guide when someone's call to their lawyer or FaceTime with the grandkids at that millisecond is of earth shattering importance?

Is this your current experience? If so, you should also post about this on your current crystal cruise thread

Nancy

Is this your current experience? If so, you should also post about this on your current crystal cruise thread

Nancy

Oh I'm planning on it. Especially after my Vintage room dinner got hijacked into a virus/virology discussion. Sad end to an otherwise wonderful evening.

• 4 months later...

We have just finished a 10 day Encore cruise and I am happy to say that we saw no misbehavior onboard. However, we saw some very rude behavior from a Russian passenger on one of the excursion buses. He had mistakenly sat in the front seat of the bus which was reserved for the tour guide. He refused to move when this was pointed out to him by the guide and said rude things to her--treating her like dirt. We were all appalled.

I did cringe a bit when a poster said that this was more likely on a 7 day cruise. Seaboard is expensive---and a 7 day cruise is a real splurge and luxury for many ---and many of these people are well educated, genteel people. Let's not throw the 7 day cruisers under the bus because of a few bad apples.

I am curious what your obsession with Carnival Corp? During the 19+ years that they have been the 100% owner of Seabourn I have had the most amazing experiences on the original triplets as well as the Odyssey and the Sojourn. I am looking forward to my Encore sailing later in the year.

Seabourn, and also Cunard Line, would probably not exist at all now if Carnival Corp did not purchase them. Have things changed over the years, of course. Show me one cruise line that has not changed in the last 20 years and I'll show you a cruise line that is losing money.

Sadly, I have seen drunk passengers, occasionally behaving badly, on Regent, Silversea, Crystal. Hmmmm, none of those are owned by Carnival. Whatever can be the reason there were unruly passengers if the cruise lines are not owned by Carnival?

I agree with you completely concerning the bad passengers. It seems to be happening all over and money does not seem to be a controller. Only strict enforcement by the cruise line will handle it. I do want to take issue with those that give Carnival (imho) too much credit. Yes, Cunard and Seabourn might have failed without Carnival but "saving" them was purely a money issue for Mickey Arison. If Carnival was the only way to go we would not be seeing the expansion of smaller, more inclusive lines like Scenic, Crystal, and Viking Oceans. Not a Carnival connection to be found. Thank goodness.:cool:

Let's not generalize. Lower prices or aggressive marketing does not necessarily mean 'lower class' or boorish.I have met many well heeled travelers on Seabourn whose manner, style and demeanor is terrible. To equate money with class is out of date, discriminatory and the height of snobbery. Everyone likes to get a good deal on a cruise and just because you paid 'full boat,' hardly means you're full of style. That sounds like a lot of hot ballast air to me.

Very well said-- agree wholeheartedly

And boorish behavior is found on other cruise lines as well. I was on a Crystal cruise last year and had the “pleasure” of watching the most appalling rude abuse of the wait staff in the dining room for two weeks. I spoke to my waiter who said she’s a big spender and multiple repeater so nobody says anything.

I have only seen bad behavior once on Seabourn (a very intoxicated gent) and he was quickly and professionally removed by security.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread reminds me that when you choose to sail on a cruise with other people you are going to meet people you like and people you don't care for and be in situations you like and situations you don't like. The only way to get around that is to stay home or to charter your own cruise.

When we are in situations like the one described we just move somewhere else.

Keith

This thread reminds me that when you choose to sail on a cruise with other people you are going to meet people you like and people you don't care for and be in situations you like and situations you don't like. The only way to get around that is to stay home or to charter your own cruise.

When we are in situations like the one described we just move somewhere else.

Keith

Great advice, as usual, Keith.