Reveal?

deliver42

Hi Everyone,

Watched this evening's Edge reveal on Facebook. I posted my thoughts earlier tonight, but thought it might be of interest on this thread.

================================

Hi Everyone,

Gotta say, I was underwhelmed with this evening's presentation. I think Eden might be OK, but it looks like a re-working of the Two70 venue on the Royal Caribbean ships. Only thing is, Eden looks far more "out there". From the video - I noticed lots of steps, ramps, heard about waiters climbing on ladders to get ingredients to prepare drinks, and - about a venue at Eden that will be serving Sea Urchin - none of which appealed to me.

BTW, doesn't ANYONE involved in this project, realize that lots of steps with few handrails is never a good idea for a cruise ship ? Will there be 1 or more elevators for those who are challenged with steps ? I sure hope so !

I figured that Celebrity was going to push the envelope with Edge... but I wonder if they're pushing too hard. I'm still excited about what's ahead, and, our Edge sailings - though I am slightly apprehensive now.

Let's hope that future Edge reveals will be more interesting/appealing than what was presented tonight.

Hi Andy, hope you and your mother are doing well.

This reveal was weird and as I said above to Ma Bell, the Eden, apple, snake and sin theme were odd and maybe offensive.

Looking at the pix it does appear there are railings along the windows and one would hope elevators to get to each level. I'm with you on the sea urchin and live fish, uck.

Katie

I found Eden intriguing. I love snakes so was totally not offended by them. Actually do not understand why anyone would be.

Not a fan of a 7 day Caribbean cruise, but if the ship was interesting and unique would consider trying it. The reveal actually made us more interested in sailing on Edge.

Just another opinion. To each his own.

I was impressed by it. I haven't been on an RCL ship with a similar space, as my recent cruises have been on Princess, Disney and NCL. The only mega-ship we have been on is the NCL Epic and the thing we disliked about it was that you really couldn't see the ocean ... even the "promenade deck" had lifeboats hanging out at eye level so you could only see the ocean between them. The connection with the ocean is one of my favorite parts of a cruise, and all the mega ships seem to focus on the inside. I admit I haven't been in the RCL "central park", but it looks too much like a shopping mall to me. I want to see the ocean.

So Eden appeals to me as a large, spacious place with a connection to the sea. The snake and apple fit the name, of course, and it was artfully done in the video. As long as they keep the snakes in the video and not in the actual place I am OK with that.

Artist renderings of interior spaces usually don't show handrails. I'm sure they will comply with all the rules and regulations concerning hand rails at the proper height, etc. The spiral ramp idea covering three stories would make a great place to walk, with views changing all the time.

I think this is a bigger deal than the movable platform thing they are hanging over the side. That is a cool idea too, especially for the tenders, but I think Eden blows it out of the water (so to speak).

I found Eden intriguing. I love snakes so was totally not offended by them. Actually do not understand why anyone would be.

Perhaps you need to Google the Garden of Eden and then you might understand what the snake/serpent represents.

First impressions - those people who were hoping for a smaller ship atmosphere will be disappointedl. This ship looks every bit as big as the current S class ships.

As for Eden...

Large spiral ramps are great.... the first time. After that they are a pain - I want to get from here to there but have to go round and around to get to it.

Space looks interesting. Not sure about the up close and personal performance art. Climbing ladders at sea to get to the herb library - obviously the concept of designing out Health and Safety risks is lost on these designers.

Surprised you'd design a restaurant around such a Marmite dish as Sea Urchin.

I await (did I miss it) the first marketing mention of "indulging in forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden"

It is either ignorant or a willful distortion of the Garden of Eden story in Genesis. Eating the apple was not 'playful' -- it was a deliberate violation of God's law. Using the apple and snake image for their evening turn to 'sinful' is Biblically correct, but they made it a joke -- which in some societies would be considered blasphemy. So yes, many people of faith will be deeply offended by this imagery. But heh, the company that couldn't see why "Sail Beyond Borders" could be construed as a political statement isn't likely to understand why anyone has faith in anything other than marketing and dollars, right?

I think this is absolutely amazing. As soon as they said "Fibonacci sequence" my ears perked up. This seems like an awesome experience and now I actually want to sail on Edge. I'm not a fan of bigger ships, but this may entice me.

whatever will bewilder me

It is either ignorant or a willful distortion of the Garden of Eden story in Genesis. Eating the apple was not 'playful' -- it was a deliberate violation of God's law. Using the apple and snake image for their evening turn to 'sinful' is Biblically correct, but they made it a joke -- which in some societies would be considered blasphemy. So yes, many people of faith will be deeply offended by this imagery. But heh, the company that couldn't see why "Sail Beyond Borders" could be construed as a political statement isn't likely to understand why anyone has faith in anything other than marketing and dollars, right?

This is ridiculous, they are using "sinful" synonymously with a good time, not in the biblical sense of deeming of damnation. Regardless, what does it matter anyway since Jesus died for our sins, right?

Hi Everyone,

Watched this evening's Edge reveal on Facebook. I posted my thoughts earlier tonight, but thought it might be of interest on this thread.

================================

Hi Everyone,

Gotta say, I was underwhelmed with this evening's presentation. I think Eden might be OK, but it looks like a re-working of the Two70 venue on the Royal Caribbean ships. Only thing is, Eden looks far more "out there". From the video - I noticed lots of steps, ramps, heard about waiters climbing on ladders to get ingredients to prepare drinks, and - about a venue at Eden that will be serving Sea Urchin - none of which appealed to me.

BTW, doesn't ANYONE involved in this project, realize that lots of steps with few handrails is never a good idea for a cruise ship ? Will there be 1 or more elevators for those who are challenged with steps ? I sure hope so !

I figured that Celebrity was going to push the envelope with Edge... but I wonder if they're pushing too hard. I'm still excited about what's ahead, and, our Edge sailings - though I am slightly apprehensive now.

Let's hope that future Edge reveals will be more interesting/appealing than what was presented tonight.

Not seen the video yet, but just reading these comments made me instantly think of Royal's Two70. I thought X would have wanted something different (at the edge) rather than getting ever closer to the Royal offerings?

Not a fan of a 7 day Caribbean cruise, but if the ship was interesting and unique would consider trying it. The reveal actually made us more interested in sailing on Edge.

Just another opinion. To each his own.

Guess some will like the concept and maybe we will too if we experience it, but for now we are thinking we may cancel if other venues are as out there as this one..,true it is only conceptual but seems to signal orgy at sea with food that is wierd..who eats urchins?,,... not very appealing.

. we hope there will be regular entertainment, restaurants, bars etc.,.Too early to decide but so far not our idea of Modern Luxury!

The whole Eden, snake, apple and sin thing for sure was really odd and I think it will offend many people.

Eden_zps8himqlqt.png

I think this introduction is pretty appalling... the story of Eden, the Snake and the bite of the Apple has all the imagery of the human downfall and got us kicked out of paradise. Why do the ad guys think it is great to be sinful??? How is this appealing?

Thanks for posting

Wow...really out there stuff..The snake intro was truly repulsive.

Not liking this space very much...I am fearful of heights.. do not like all those open ramps and hope not to fall walking on stairs such as those shown.

I haven't watched the video yet but we love reptiles and snakes. Maybe they are giving you a bite of what to expect...

It sounds like they are going after a new audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Jade13

No thanks, I think they've lost their minds. Everyone hated the interactive concept of people slithering around in your space while having cocktails in the lounge the first time they tried it.

I get the concept but don't find it sustainable after a first curious look for most people.

How do you know everyone hates the interactive parties? I liked the interactive themed parties with dancers going down the grand staircase or in the lounge (usually held late at night). They have drawn huge crowds.

I do agree that I do not want this while eating dinner.

No thanks, I think they've lost their minds. Everyone hated the interactive concept of people slithering around in your space while having cocktails in the lounge the first time they tried it. Now we'll have to put up with it while having dinner? I enjoy looking at the sea and speaking with my dinner companions. Someone has gotten carried away with delusions of "Modern Luxury". I've seen them try it with mermaids in the pool at night and dancers on the helipad at sail away and most people just feel sorry for the performers. Entertainment is usually much better at a bit of a distance so one can get the whole picture, not in your face.

I get the concept but don't find it sustainable after a first curious look for most people.

I agree, but Eden reminds me somewhat of the 270 venue on Royal's Quantum class. The show I saw there on the Ovation was the best I have ever seen on a cruise ship. The performers used the whole space but stayed at a respectful distance from the audience with only minimal interaction. If Celebrity can do something like that then I'm all for it.

Celebrity has lost their minds. So far nothing I've seen or read about The Edge Class Ships are making me want to book. That and the fact that prices will be so high in it's first season I doubt we will sail Edge unless they put her in Bayonne and I don't have to fly.

It looks like a pretty space to have a drink. Not sure if I'll pay extra for dinner, since we are in a suite for the first time. Since we sail in March, we'll have to see what those sailing before us have to say. I'm trying to remain open to new ideas and experiences, (probably why I have three cruises on different lines booked over the next couple years). I've never been on RC and experienced the 270 venue, so nothing to really compare it to. It's obvious Celebrity wants to try something different, and it won't appeal to everyone. Fortunately for those who choose Celebrity, the different classes of ships provide options.

How do you know everyone hates the interactive parties? I liked the interactive themed parties with dancers going down the grand staircase or in the lounge (usually held late at night). They have drawn huge crowds.

I do agree that I do not want this while eating dinner.

I answered this once already. My comments were about years ago on the M-Class ships. The dancers going down the staircase are not particularly interactive and it's not while you're trying to eat dinner.

Eden_zps8himqlqt.png

I think this introduction is pretty appalling... the story of Eden, the Snake and the bite of the Apple has all the imagery of the human downfall and got us kicked out of paradise. Why do the ad guys think it is great to be sinful??? How is this appealing?

It's appaling how people think stories from centuries ago shared by ancient Bedouins is taken literally as human downfall, and not the million other atrocities that shame our genus. It's the bite of an apple that did us in.

Smh

The first time I stepped on Millennium and Solstice I was amazed! Perhaps I'm jaded, but I've been on these classes of ships so many times that I barely look around. What I see is great service by hard working crew. I appreciate when they greet me. I appreciate that they remember my preferences. Sure I'll be amazed when I first board Edge, but in the end to me a ship is just a ship taking you from one point to another and seeing fellow passengers and crew who you enjoy.

I love the look of this new ship! I've always been loyal to Royal but this ship has enticed me across to give it a go..... oh and I am prepared to take a 28 hour flight from Melbourne Australia to Miami ! Booked for March 2019.

Aussie Cruiser

I guess I am one of the few that LOVED Bar at the Edge of the Earth when they had it on Constellation. Additionally, I got to experience 270 on RCCL Quantum of the Seas and thought it was the best space AND performance I've ever seen at sea. Eden, to me, if much more exciting than anything they have revealed so far. It also looks like X is borrowing a bit from the wildly successful Queen of the Night, in New York City ( http://queenofthenightnyc.com ). I assume X is trying to reach beyond their base and gather the attention of younger people to get them to cruise. Hopefully, there will be other spaces that will accommodate the cruisers who don't care for Eden.

I have 25 cruises with X and have been a long time cheer leader. In the past year I have cruised with Oceania, Crystal and in August Seabourn. All 3 of these cruises were less money than a week in the Caribbean on the Edge. ( in a preferred Sky Suite ) I can`t believe people are sucked in. I will try the Edge at some point but only after all the prices and hoop la has died down. Will be watching for the reviews after the first few sailings. I`m afraid this will not be my idea of Modern Luxury.

As everything is planned when making a presentation, these are interesting representations.

"Funny" Things in the Eden pictures.

1) Very few people have drinks

2) One person appears to be on a cell phone

3) Lots of non-designer jean wearers

4) No one is watching the dancing couple.

5) In the "taste" picture - the women have nice dresses and one man is wearing shorts.