Sea legs on land/ MdDS

jaee901

I was wondering how long it takes most people to stop feeling like they are on a cruise. I am woobly/swaying/rocking, feel dizzy and nauseous, my head feels heavy and my ears feel full. I am looking for other people's experiences and how long this may last. I am afraid it is MdMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was wondering how long it takes most people to stop feeling like they are on a cruise. I am woobly/swaying/rocking, feel dizzy and nauseous, my head feels heavy and my ears feel full. I am looking for other people's experiences and how long this may last. I am afraid it is MdMS.

When I first started cruising, the Mal de embarkment syndrome (sort of reverse sea sickness) I got was pretty much about a week. Except one cruise, it took about a month to fully resolve itself.

It's not really anything to worry about. It will resolve itself. If it doesn't, then it's something else.

I don't seem to have as much problem with it now, but it's still there for a few days after cruising.

This last cruise it took both of us a solid week but it was getting better along the way. We had a very rough passage outside Vancouver Is. both ways so it seemed worse afterward than other cruises - even Transatlantics. I say "worse" loosely because we both sort of enjoy this continuation of the experience of being onboard.

When I first started cruising, the Mal de embarkment syndrome (sort of reverse sea sickness) I got was pretty much about a week. Except one cruise, it took about a month to fully resolve itself.

It's not really anything to worry about. It will resolve itself. If it doesn't, then it's something else.

I don't seem to have as much problem with it now, but it's still there for a few days after cruising.

I have read about it lasting for months. I am seeing an ENT, even though I'm not expecting anything major to come out of it. It is very scary and overwhelming. I don't even want to move. As the day goes on it gets worse and in general the symptoms are getting worse instead of better. I am trying to stay positive but it's hard.

Honestly there is no answer for this.

It depends on the person.

If I felt the way you are describing I would see my doctor and not rely on what people say.

Keith

If your ears feel full, it suggests an ear infection. Do go see your doctor to get this checked out as the symptoms can be similar to what you described. You might also talk to the doctor about continuing your anti-seasickness medication as well.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

The 1st time it happened to me, took about 4 days to get over it. The next time it happened, took about 10 days! It hasn't happened on every cruise....and the 'rocking' of the ship was rough on the 1st time it happened...but calm on the next....so who knows why it happens, but it's quite common.

This happened to me after our first few cruises. I mentioned it to my FP in passing, while I was seeing him for something else. He recommended that I continue taking my Meclizine for a few days after disembarking. I haven't had a problem since starting this routine. This is the same drug as Bonine, Dramamine Less Drowsy , and Antivert. The latter is commonly prescribed for patients with vertigo. You might want to ask your doctor about it.

It usually takes me about 10 days.

I was put on meclizine. The doctors mentioned it can be withdrawl from the patch, that I should have left it on for a week after. I feel a a little better but still feel like I'm rocking. I am just hoping it isn't MdDS.