re meat pies

3 hours ago, Russell21 said:

I prefer the Kiwi way of having your fish and chips, a couple of fried eggs on the battered fish. We first had that at the Blue waterside fish shop in Tauranga.

Eggs on fush and chups, sounds gross. Yes mushy peas has long been a tradition in UK with fish and chips.  And as has been said the English Pub Lunch on Princess has to have fish, chips and mushy peas, to be authentic, like the bangers and mash, must have HP sauce.hp.jpg.ba72d08164000f56434672ce29703d6d.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

I prefer the Kiwi way of having your fish and chips, a couple of fried eggs on the battered fish. We first had that at the Blue waterside fish shop in Tauranga.

In 40+ years of living in NZ I never ever saw fish and chips served that way. I've only ever heard of that particular shop doing it. 

Of course, you wouldn't have been able to do it that way back then. Fish and chips were always sold wrapped in paper, not in put in cardboard boxes, so there is no way you could put eggs on them.

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

In 40+ years of living in NZ I never ever saw fish and chips served that way. I've only ever heard of that particular shop doing it. 

Of course, you wouldn't have been able to do it that way back then. Fish and chips were always sold wrapped in paper, not in put in cardboard boxes, so there is no way you could put eggs on them.

Maybe it is a Tauranga thing.  I have been to NZ 4 times, twice on cruises and twice on land travel, not seen the fried eggs on fish and chips.  Seen the odd pickled egg from a big jar like in the pom bubs and a scotch egg. 

12 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There were a heap of takeaways, could be a Maori thing as there were a lot of them buying. It was so popular they had one woman at the hotplate just cooking eggs. The eggs sit on the fish fillet and you dip your chips in the soft yoke. If it is confined to the area or shop then the rest of the Kiwis are missing out on a treat.

I'm with Les, no eggs on the fish or chips. Although I understand the mushy peas is an "English" thing with fish and chips, I'm not sold. There were a couple of places that did it that way on request here but it didn't appeal to me. Anywhere I have had Fish and Chips in Canada the "side" served is coleslaw.

26 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

There were a heap of takeaways, could be a Maori thing as there were a lot of them buying. It was so popular they had one woman at the hotplate just cooking eggs. The eggs sit on the fish fillet and you dip your chips in the soft yoke. If it is confined to the area or shop then the rest of the Kiwis are missing out on a treat.

Only if you like fish with fried eggs. Personally I'll pass, that's just too much for one meal. I'd rather have half a dozen fried oysters if I want more than just fish.

Actually, again it could be based on a British thing. Eggs and chips is a common meal there, so someone may have just added fish to that.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

23 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm with Les, no eggs on the fish or chips. Although I understand the mushy peas is an "English" thing with fish and chips, I'm not sold. There were a couple of places that did it that way on request here but it didn't appeal to me. Anywhere I have had Fish and Chips in Canada the "side" served is coleslaw.

Malt Vinegar or Tartare Sauce on my fish and chips, or perhaps a bit of lemon juice.  Coleslaw does accompany fish and chips very well.

Edited by NSWP

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

Malt Vinegar or Tartare Sauce on my fish and chips, or perhaps a bit of lemon juice.  Coleslaw does accompany fish and chips very well.

That's the way to do it Uncle Les. I usually get the malt vinegar and salt on it right when it hits the table, then the tartar sauce on the fish side of the plate and red sauce on the chips side.

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That's the way to do it Uncle Les. I usually get the malt vinegar and salt on it right when it hits the table, then the tartar sauce on the fish side of the plate and red sauce on the chips side.

Crikey Lyle, you do like your condiments and sauces. I only use one or the other not the trifecta.

th (1).jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Sparingly Les, I put some sauce on the plate and dip a bit. A couple of drops of vinegar and a couple tablespoons of sauce. 

Tartare Sauce is nice on fish, sparingly, have you tried it ? Always have a bottle in my fridge.

This is always handy, Heinz Fiery Chilli.  It is a tomato ketchup, loaded, I mean loaded with chilli.  Lyle mentioned this I think.  Hard to get but I have a bottle in the fridge, probably last me 2 years, you only need a real small drop.

download.jpg

We have 2 good fish and chip shops that make their own tartar sauce in house both very good but different. I also make my own but it's definitely different, it's a mayonnaise base with a little Miracle Whip (it's a Kraft product sweeter than mayonnaise) I use capers in mine and a good measure of smoked paprika and fresh dill. There are a lot of tartar sauces available around here.

As to your chili sauce ours doesn't have the "fiery" part.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have 2 good fish and chip shops that make their own tartar sauce in house both very good but different. I also make my own but it's definitely different, it's a mayonnaise base with a little Miracle Whip (it's a Kraft product sweeter than mayonnaise) I use capers in mine and a good measure of smoked paprika and fresh dill. There are a lot of tartar sauces available around here.

As to your chili sauce ours doesn't have the "fiery" part.

Fiery is an understatement for this sauce Lyle, wish I could give you a taste, you need a glass of iced water on standby.

18 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Fiery is an understatement for this sauce Lyle, wish I could give you a taste, you need a glass of iced water on standby.

When confronted with something hot like that go with a glass of milk or lemonade, capsicum is an oil based substance. It will bond to the milk or be cut by the lemonade.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

When confronted with something hot like that go with a glass of milk or lemonade, capsicum is an oil based substance. It will bond to the milk or be cut by the lemonade.

A pint of very well chilled Semillion Sauvignon Blanc works for me to extinguish the fire of the Heinz Firey.  Send in Launch Nemesis with the fire hose.Nemesis.jpg.e20ccdacf626dfbe0225a9d28fce59c9.jpg

That is a much more substantial looking vessel than the tunnel hull portrayed in water rats. Of course if that was the launch of that time (late 1990s) I'm guessing she is long since paid off and is now someone's private yacht.

3 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

That is a much more substantial looking vessel than the tunnel hull portrayed in water rats. Of course if that was the launch of that time (late 1990s) I'm guessing she is long since paid off and is now someone's private yacht.

Most probably, don't know where the former Launch Nemesis went, she was know to the cops as 'The floating Cocktail cabinet.'🍷 I wonder why.  She was often used as a VIP boat, taking government officials and other visiting VIP's from  around the world on a nice Sydney Harbour cruise.  Much to the ire of some 👮‍♂️

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

At least we're back to pies. Is that custard? With some nutmeg grated on top or even better cinnamon? 

Custard tart - a real Aussie dessert, whether a family size or individual tart. Yes nutmeg sprinkled on top 🙂

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

At least we're back to pies. Is that custard? With some nutmeg grated on top or even better cinnamon? 

We call them custard tarts, yes nutmeg normally. Something else for you try Lyle, available at most bakeries

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I order a side dish of raita to help with the heat when eating Indian food. Yogurt and cucumber are the main ingredients.

Cucumber Raita recipe | Epicurious.com

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Custard tart - a real Aussie dessert, whether a family size or individual tart. Yes nutmeg sprinkled on top 🙂

The family size IS the individual size  isn’t it ????😂😂👍

• Like 2