re meat pies

5 hours ago, NSWP said:

Malt Vinegar or Tartare Sauce on my fish and chips, or perhaps a bit of lemon juice.  Coleslaw does accompany fish and chips very well.

Yes, a tangy coleslaw is good with fish and chips. I just like a bit of lemon juice on the fish. I'm not a fan of most tartare sauces although one fish restaurant we've been to a few times makes their own and it is delish.

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We have 2 good fish and chip shops that make their own tartar sauce in house both very good but different. I also make my own but it's definitely different, it's a mayonnaise base with a little Miracle Whip (it's a Kraft product sweeter than mayonnaise) I use capers in mine and a good measure of smoked paprika and fresh dill. There are a lot of tartar sauces available around here.

As to your chili sauce ours doesn't have the "fiery" part.

I must try making one with smoked paprika, that could be yum. I don't mind a little dill but have to be careful as I seem to have a supersensitive palate for some flavours these days. Lots of capers, the salted variety, and some finely chopped cornichons, and in a home made mayo base - I make mine in the mini food processor bowl of my stick blender and it's usually very easy as long as I don't add the oil too fast.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I went to school with a little dill, we had some capers, nothing about food though.

Oh dear, I could get you a job on CMV, Mic.  Resident comedian, have to find you a ship first and Amy Johnson is no longer flying, in the air or on the sea.  But CMV has no money left, so you would have to be paid in cornichons.😁

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay back to the custard tart. I have to assume that a quality tart, has made from scratch custard or is Birds Brand custard a common filling?

Depends on the cook Lyle, some would make custard from scratch, other use carton custard and thicken it. The commercial bakeries would make their own custard. The custard on the custard pies is jelly like, it does not pour all over you like some meat pies do that have excessive gravy.  That is my experience, but of course I do not eat them these days unless I find a GF pastry one, which is rare.

Edited by NSWP

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay back to the custard tart. I have to assume that a quality tart, has made from scratch custard or is Birds Brand custard a common filling?

It has to be made from scratch custard. It's not a pouring custard, it's a baked egg custard. The best ones are found in Chinese restaurants, which are the virtually the same as Portuguese tarts without the torched top. I think the Chinese got the recipe from the Portuguese some centuries ago. I wish I knew how they got their pastry so flaky. It's divine! Some bakeries use a short pastry instead but that's not as nice.

Then we have lemon tarts which are lemon curd filling in a short pastry case. And variations on that - lemon/lime or passionfruit. Add torched Italian meringue and you have mini lemon meringue pies.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Love Lemon Meringue Pie . 🥮

At one stage I really disliked the pastry base of lemon meringue pie so used to make lemon meringue pudding instead - just a bowl filled with lemon curd topped with meringue and baked until the meringue browned a little. No blowtorches for the meringue in those days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

At one stage I really disliked the pastry base of lemon meringue pie so used to make lemon meringue pudding instead - just a bowl filled with lemon curd topped with meringue and baked until the meringue browned a little. No blowtorches for the meringue in those days.

No meringue for me, just a lemon tart. Meringue is too sweet for my taste as is pavlova. Whereas DH loves both.

Leigh

Gut, one thing I used to make years ago was a sweet souffle-style omelette that I then filled with lemon curd and cream (ice cream might work but it might melt too quickly and make the omelette soggy).

It was just separated eggs, whites beaten until firm peaks, yolks beaten with a little sugar, then folded into whites. Heat a little butter in a pan on moderate-low heat and add egg mixture. Cook until the underside is golden and the omelette is almost set. Flash under a grill to finish setting the top. Put lemon curd on half, top with whipped cream. Quickly fold over, slip onto plate and dust with icing sugar. 

8 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Gut, one thing I used to make years ago was a sweet souffle-style omelette that I then filled with lemon curd and cream (ice cream might work but it might melt too quickly and make the omelette soggy).

It was just separated eggs, whites beaten until firm peaks, yolks beaten with a little sugar, then folded into whites. Heat a little butter in a pan on moderate-low heat and add egg mixture. Cook until the underside is golden and the omelette is almost set. Flash under a grill to finish setting the top. Put lemon curd on half, top with whipped cream. Quickly fold over, slip onto plate and dust with icing sugar. 

Sounds interesting. I’m up for pretty much anything with lemon or pineapple.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've always liked the raspberry version and the lemon version sounds really interesting.

Yeah I have been eating the raspberry or strawberry jam version for years but the lemon takes it to a whole new level, Mrs G bought some lemon and lime curd (it may be a jam) which I am tryin to persuade her to sacrifice for the cause.

Thank you mic, i have no problem getting gf breads, but getting cakes is a problem sick of friands. I would need a load of butter and strawberry jam on that. Did Rosie bake that for you? Good baking.

Edited by NSWP