re meat pies

Thanks Mic and Les for such sage advice to go with the previously offered suggestions from OzKiwiJJ and Leigh. Clearly the key to success is the know your limit and stay within it. I've been looking for the Vegemite, I know we have it here, that being said I think that needs to be on the list of things one does while on vacation in Oz.

16 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks Mic and Les for such sage advice to go with the previously offered suggestions from OzKiwiJJ and Leigh. Clearly the key to success is the know your limit and stay within it. I've been looking for the Vegemite, I know we have it here, that being said I think that needs to be on the list of things one does while on vacation in Oz.

Lyle, you can have my share of the stuff I call axle grease, it is not to my taste, never was. My late wife, bless her soul, loved the black stuff on toast for breakfast. The Vegemite is now produced by Bega Cheese in Melbourne.  Other companies produce a similar product, i.e. Mighty Mite, Aussiemite, Ozemite and probably a few more.  But rest assured Vegemite addicts will stay loyal to the one they say is best, ye olde Vegemite !!

I will stay with my favourite peanut butter.also made by Bega Cheese in Melbourne...pb.jpg.4f074268692962f0227f157dcb072ff4.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I find Vegemite is really good for settling queasy tummies. Vegemite on toast is the only thing I can eat when I'm feeling off-colour.

You mean like having a hangover?  I prefer a Berocca followed by a glass of chilled tomato juice, followed by the...wait for it...20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.940746282123d551630fd03ead8831a5.jpg

• Like 1

Not necessarily a hangover, any sort of tummy upset. I occasionally get a mild form of migraine. I wake up with it and although the headache isn't too severe I usually get a queasy tummy as well and can only eat vegemite on toast then. Although I try to avoid the triggers - aspartame, msg, some artificial colourings, and lights flashing in my eyes - I don't always succeed. Eating Asian food out can be a problem but I soon get to know which outlets to avoid. 

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Not necessarily a hangover, any sort of tummy upset. I occasionally get a mild form of migraine. I wake up with it and although the headache isn't too severe I usually get a queasy tummy as well and can only eat vegemite on toast then. Although I try to avoid the triggers - aspartame, msg, some artificial colourings, and lights flashing in my eyes - I don't always succeed. Eating Asian food out can be a problem but I soon get to know which outlets to avoid. 

I understand completely. My wife reacted to MSG with mega migraines, even a couple of Mersyndol would not fix them.  So when eating at an Asian eatery which was rare she had prawn cutlets or a prawn cocktail and boiled rice, nothing that might have MSG. Difficult when we were in HK or Singapore, so we had to settle for hotel food mostly instead of the food courts etc.  Although even in the hotels there I could get my Asian dishes. Yes I am a Asian food addict. I am partial to Singapore Noodles - rice noodles with curry, chilli, prawns, chicken, onion, carrot, capsicum what ever. But most Asian food is good really, except squid !!

Edited by NSWP

She was lucky with the prawns, Les. Some of the ones that come from Asia are coated in MSG. A couple of times I couldn't work out what had triggered a migraine. Both those times were prawns and at a place I'd eaten at heaps of times before. Shortly after that I spotted some frozen prawns in a store, checked the label and, sure enough, there was MSG listed. I had to stop going to that place. 

Oddly enough I've never had a problem in Singapore. 

• Like 1

I like Thai and Szechuan but lightly spicy, to much heat just makes it unpleasant. I like a good curry as well, just keep the spice balanced.

We have had some very good Chinese restaurants around in the past (mostly North American style Cantonese, some Szechuan) unfortunately many have changed hands and are mere shadows of their former selves. One in particular had excellent BBQ pork buns (Chinese equivalent to meat pie 😉) We have mostly switched to Thai and Vietnamese for our Asian food fix.

55 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Eating Asian food out can be a problem but I soon get to know which outlets to avoid. 

I thought Asian restaurants in Australia no longer use MSG after all the uproar🤔. You should probably avoid tomatoes too as they are very high in MSG. Seaweed is another food to avoid (in Japan they extract their MSG from seaweed) though I suppose it is not a food most Australians eat 😂. Also if you haven't already any fermented foods like yoghurt, beer, wine or sauerkraut, the fermentation process produces a lot of MSG. I had a friend who was allergic she said cutting out wine and yoghurt really helped with what she had thought were random migraines🤗

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

She was lucky with the prawns, Les. Some of the ones that come from Asia are coated in MSG. A couple of times I couldn't work out what had triggered a migraine. Both those times were prawns and at a place I'd eaten at heaps of times before. Shortly after that I spotted some frozen prawns in a store, checked the label and, sure enough, there was MSG listed. I had to stop going to that place. 

Oddly enough I've never had a problem in Singapore. 

Yes she got caught a few times with the MSG in prawns.  No doubt msg is in the prawns for colouring.   Msg is a colour and flavour enhancer is it not.?  That is how they get those veges those vivid colours ike the carrots, mine are not in technicolour.  Down here there was a  fantastic chinese restaurant in the Malua Bay Bowling Club, but alas all got destroyed in the Bushfires recently.  Raymonds is going into business again in a few weeks at the new Abode Apartment Resort at Malua Bay, which is half hour south of Batemans Bay CBD. They won't go back to the club when it is rebuilt.  So if you are down this way, you know where to get your chinese fix.  There are 3 or 4 other chinese restaurants around here, most ok. When we went to Raymonds she never got crook from the food, but other places she did.🥢

Edited by NSWP

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I thought Asian restaurants in Australia no longer use MSG after all the uproar🤔. You should probably avoid tomatoes too as they are very high in MSG. Seaweed is another food to avoid (in Japan they extract their MSG from seaweed) though I suppose it is not a food most Australians eat 😂. Also if you haven't already any fermented foods like yoghurt, beer, wine or sauerkraut, the fermentation process produces a lot of MSG. I had a friend who was allergic she said cutting out wine and yoghurt really helped with what she had thought were random migraines🤗

I am sure they still use it, how else do they get their veges with a vivid colour.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Most of them don't use MSG directly but it may be in sauces they use - next time you're in the supermarket check how many varieties of Asian sauces list 621 in the ingredients list, especially oyster sauce. Ayam is the only safe brand.

Oddly enough I've never had a problem with tomatoes, beer, wine, sauerkraut, or freshly prepared Japanese food. I did have a problem with instant miso soup though, and also a Japanese bottled salad dressing I used to love until I started reacting to it. I did read somewhere that there is some difference between naturally occurring MSG and artificially produced MSG. Anyway I rarely get the migraines these days as I'm careful, just the odd one when I've been to a new restaurant or something. Actually the last restaurant triggered one was from a Middle Eastern restaurant - very strange.

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

You mean frutter. As for crisps v chips, look at what is on the packet...crisps gee, we inherited the chips term, not the hot ones, from the yanks, but whats new?  Ketchup came from there, it was tomato sauce before, still is for me and dont get me started on biscuits v cookies, another yank variation on the Queens english. 

Hmmm but I am old enough to remember when smith had the Gobbledock who ran around saying “chippieeees”

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

You mean like having a hangover?  I prefer a Berocca followed by a glass of chilled tomato juice, followed by the...wait for it...20121432_1498366156869106_6543050952178438338_o.thumb.jpg.940746282123d551630fd03ead8831a5.jpg

I love eggs and I love beans, but not together, me and Maxy often share a feed of baked beans for brekky.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

But most Asian food is good really, except squid !!

The fresh squid is fine, it's the bloody dried squid that's deadly. The smell of dried squid being grilled is exactly the same as the smell of burning dog hair, if you've ever made the mistake of throwing dog hair, after grooming, onto a fire you wil know what I'm talking about.

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

I am sure they still use it, how else do they get their veges with a vivid colour.

My family uses MSG and it has never done anything to the colour of the food 😂. You must be mixing up your additives or you are going to really good restaurants cooking the food at the right temperature and speed that gives you that vivid colour. MSG extract is a plain white powder, that is pure umami. It was invented in Japan over 100 years ago by a scientist who loved the meaty flavour of the soup his wife prepared and decided to try and extract that flavour. He identified the protein as MSG. In Asian food we use it like you would salt. MSG is in fact everything some less some more, even humans are made up of MSG😜

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I did read somewhere that there is some difference between naturally occurring MSG and artificially produced MSG. 

I would not call it artificially produced. It is an extract like if you extract salt from seawater or chlorophyll from plants. It is still the same just not mixed with anything😉. I should add that generally when serving Westerners Asians do add extra salt because they have found historically that Westerners like more salt than Asians would use and some people have found that was the actual cause of their headaches not the MSG. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

22 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

MSG is in a lot of western food. 

Look for flavour enhancer 621 on the label. Sausages, cured meats, soups, etc.

So msg is a flavour enhancer, like sodium?  As a coeliac i avoid the wheat and look at labels for 1442 which is non gluten thickener, i.e maize. I have no problems with msg, just a dry mouth at night after a chinese feed, bur that could be excess white wine as well, lol 

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

My family uses MSG and it has never done anything to the colour of the food 😂. You must be mixing up your additives or you are going to really good restaurants cooking the food at the right temperature and speed that gives you that vivid colour. MSG extract is a plain white powder, that is pure umami. It was invented in Japan over 100 years ago by a scientist who loved the meaty flavour of the soup his wife prepared and decided to try and extract that flavour. He identified the protein as MSG. In Asian food we use it like you would salt. MSG is in fact everything some less some more, even humans are made up of MSG😜

I would not call it artificially produced. It is an extract like if you extract salt from seawater or chlorophyll from plants. It is still the same just not mixed with anything😉. I should add that generally when serving Westerners Asians do add extra salt because they have found historically that Westerners like more salt than Asians would use and some people have found that was the actual cause of their headaches not the MSG. 

Thanks is your family involved in catering?

3 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

So are we, except that SWMBO does not like me mixing the two, she says that it spoils two great activities. 😊

You are a brave man; does SWMBO read these threads? And does she know what that means? I would be a roasted duck if I referred to Lynn with that description.

17 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't think my trigger is linked to salt unless it's the combination of MSG and salt. But the first products that I noticed the link to MSG to were purchased at a Japanese grocery store. 

It is possible that it is a combination reaction. It's very hard to track. Certainly MSG appears to be part of the trigger. I wonder if it's a quantity thing? That reaction happened a few years after I'd finally identified the artificial sweetener Aspartame as my migraine trigger. Avoiding that kept me mostly migraine free. I've always loved Asian food (although I can't eat coriander) and often picked up Asian from food courts for lunch. I'd also discovered a lovely Japanese salad dressing which we happily used for a couple of years. Then we went to Japan. No problems there, we ate Japanese meals the whole time we were there. However I did develop a slight addiction to miso soup. When we got home I bought some instant miso soup for the occasional snack. After a few weeks of having those 2-3 times a week I started getting migraines again. So I stopped having the soup. A couple of weeks later I had a salad using the Japanese salad dressing and got a migraine. The obvious link between the two was MSG. To cut a long story a bit shorter I've avoided MSG in products I cook with since then and have had no migraines. Occasionally I get one after going to a new restaurant or food court outlet so avoid those as well. But since I do eat a fair bit of Asian food still either I've been very lucky or, as you suggest, it's not a straightforward trigger.

The really strange thing, which still perplexes me, is why a product I could eat with no problems suddenly caused a reaction.