Keeping things secure on the beach?

RoxiRoo

Hi All,

Just wondering what you do if you and your traveling partner want to both go in the water/snorkel etc. What do you do with your valuables? Like keycard, camera, etc? I realize if I am on an excursion, the excursion folk might watch our stuff. But what about if you just walked to the beach or took a taxi on your own??

Thank you in advance. :)

If you want an actual product to purchase rather than just packing light and using common sense, Pacsafe has several options.

I have one of these:

http://www.pacsafe.com/travelsafe-12l-gii-portable-safe/10480.html?dwvar_10480_color=104&cgid=portable_safes#start=1

It's probably overkill for what we need, and slightly expensive, but it slips down into a tote bag or backpack easily and can be secured to a beach chair, umbrella, etc. It's not fool proof but it would deter someone from casually walking past and swiping your belongings.

If we all plan on going in the water we don't bring any valuables except ID, cash, and a credit card. We keep them in a waterproof case you wear like a necklace. We do leave out clothes unattended but don't wear anything nice. Old sneakers are an odd thing to steal.

I wouldn't leave any valuables during an excursion either. There's usually too many people on them for the guide/staff to keep track of anyone's stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only valuables I bring on water excursions are stored in one of those little plastic waterproof containers you can hang around your neck. Being female, I tuck it into the top of my swimsuit - DH stores his in a zippered pocket in his swim trunks. It holds my key card, drivers license, and usually a $20 bill - that's it. There is really no other way to make sure your valuables will be secure. I would not count on tour operators, although I have left some minor things on locked buses. I definitely would not count on some locking contraption attached to a beach chair or umbrella that can pretty easily be destroyed. It's true that those are a deterrent, so I would use that for 'hope I don't lose it, but I wouldn't be lost without it' things. Certainly not a camera or money or similar.

I worry about not bringing a cell phone, I have a fear of not being able to call a taxi to get back to the ship. But, I will have to make sure I go to a beach that isn't too secluded then!

Hubby isn't going this time, girls trip! so no velcro trunk pockets - unless I pick up a pair of boardshorts - which isn't a bad idea!

Thanks all!

I use a KYSS bag and I love it. It is knife resistant and has a combination lock and chain. I always attach it to two lounge chairs. It is perfect for ensuring our valuables are right where we put them. Here is a link to the bag I use. Note: I bought the large and found that I don't need one quite that big...I am planning on getting the medium next.

http://www.kyssbags.com/

Have to trust crew on a snorkel boat...we just bring a bag with dry clothes towels , not expensive sunglasses etc...we bring disposable cameras for underwater...

DH does not go swimming so he watches our stuff at beaches,,, i watch when he goes for drinks, food or mens room...,..the plastic pouches often leak result is wet money and key cards

Sometimes we leave stuff but not valuables in tour bus,, if licked or dtuver stays with bus...,no choice..

I use a KYSS bag and I love it. It is knife resistant and has a combination lock and chain. I always attach it to two lounge chairs. It is perfect for ensuring our valuables are right where we put them. Here is a link to the bag I use. Note: I bought the large and found that I don't need one quite that big...I am planning on getting the medium next.

http://www.kyssbags.com/

I agree with KYSS bag.

I bought the 'compact' size and can also use it as a shopping tote or large purse. I don't wordy with trying to keep towels, etc in it.

I bought mine in blue (royal, maybe?) so hubby doesn't look silly if he carries it.

We've used those water tight bags for years, started when we went white water rafting! They really work. We have three different sizes, one that just fits some money, a key card, license and credit card. One of them fits all those things plus a cell phone or camera. That is the one we use the most as we just connect it around our neck or waist and go out swimming or snorkeling. Lastly, we have one that we've used on multiple rafting trips and even took it to the beach a couple of times, although this one is a bit cumbersome for swimming. It has a adjustable belt that wraps around your waist. They've never sprung a leak ... not once .. and we've used them all numerous times over the years!

Dry Pak is brand we've used but there are numerous different ones out there. Here is a good size if you need to carry more than your ID and a little money. I found this on Amazon.

Waterproof Pouch with Waist Strap (2 Pack) | Best Way to Keep Your Phone and Valuables Safe and Dry | Perfect for Boating Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking Beach Pool Water Parks

Just of note, we tested ours in the pool without anything valuable before we trusted them with our cameras and such. If any sign of water inside, we'd have returned them ... but we were lucky and never had a leak.

We have a yellow Walt Disney World watereroof container. It holds ship key cards, credit card, and a reasonable amount of cash. I keep it in my swimsuit pocket that is sealed with velcro. So far, so good.

We do tend to leave some items on the beach and so far we have had no issues. :D

Hi All,

Just wondering what you do if you and your traveling partner want to both go in the water/snorkel etc. What do you do with your valuables? Like keycard, camera, etc? I realize if I am on an excursion, the excursion folk might watch our stuff. But what about if you just walked to the beach or took a taxi on your own??

Thank you in advance. :)

We don't go into the water together. We take turns watching the stuff.

Some beaches do have lockers. Nice for long beach days.

If not....We bring next to nothing when beaching. DH has the cards and cash around his neck. Leave our phones and camera behind. I carry the beach bag with towels.

Most times you can share " watch time " with other cruisers. Everyone has the same fears.

We usually try to find another older couple from our ship (easy to do if they bring towels from onboard). After showing them our towel and striking up a conversation we offer to switch out being watchdogs when each couple is swimming. It's always worked well... and we make new friends too. Just make sure you agree on time limits.

We've used those water tight bags for years, started when we went white water rafting! They really work. We have three different sizes, one that just fits some money, a key card, license and credit card. One of them fits all those things plus a cell phone or camera. That is the one we use the most as we just connect it around our neck or waist and go out swimming or snorkeling. Lastly, we have one that we've used on multiple rafting trips and even took it to the beach a couple of times, although this one is a bit cumbersome for swimming. It has a adjustable belt that wraps around your waist. They've never sprung a leak ... not once .. and we've used them all numerous times over the years!

Dry Pak is brand we've used but there are numerous different ones out there. Here is a good size if you need to carry more than your ID and a little money. I found this on Amazon.

Waterproof Pouch with Waist Strap (2 Pack) | Best Way to Keep Your Phone and Valuables Safe and Dry | Perfect for Boating Swimming Snorkeling Kayaking Beach Pool Water Parks

Just of note, we tested ours in the pool without anything valuable before we trusted them with our cameras and such. If any sign of water inside, we'd have returned them ... but we were lucky and never had a leak.

Thank you for the brand recommendation! We tried the plastic kind from the ship gift shop that latches, but water still got in.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just use / travel with a light weight cable with eyelet's at each end which I use to wrap around something immovable and use a lock to secure it to my closed back pack.

attachment.php?attachmentid=410491&stc=1&d=1504475187

So far so good, I suppose if a thief really wanted to he/she could steal my stuff, but why go through the trouble and extra fuss when there'll be other opportunities that are less problematic.

1357587751_IMG_0346(2).jpg.49a624dcaf7a45545c6d99e862498ce7.jpg

We usually try to find another older couple from our ship (easy to do if they bring towels from onboard). After showing them our towel and striking up a conversation we offer to switch out being watchdogs when each couple is swimming. It's always worked well... and we make new friends too. Just make sure you agree on time limits.

I like this idea! I will be on the lookout for other grey-hairs like me. :)

Remember that just because they're fellow pax doesn't make them honest. I was on a smallish snorkel boat (about 20 people) and someone stole my sunglasses whilst snorkeling. I even had a really good idea who it was as neither she nor her daughter went into the water and someone saw them suspiciously progressively sitting beside peoples' stuff when the rest of us were snorkeling. The crew were occupied at the time.

I made a point to let everyone know there was a thief on board and that the sunglasses were cheap crap.

• 4 weeks later...