How hard is the ship laundry on your clothes?

gvre

It seems lately( Last ship Dawn Princess) when we send out our laundry on the ships they come back scorched, buttons melted, and other stuff. Does anyone have any recent experience on the Pacific Princess?

Thanks Debbie

It seems lately( Last ship Dawn Princess) when we send out our laundry on the ships they come back scorched, buttons melted, and other stuff. Does anyone have any recent experience on the Pacific Princess?

Thanks Debbie

In our experience.....Yes! We stopped sending out expensive stuff. Other things only as a last resort.

One of the issues is the high heat they use.

We get small holes in garments.

For the last few years we have rarely used the service.

Now we just go to the self serve launderette.

All over the fleet, its the same issue. They are really rough on clothes - must the rocks they use to beat the clothes against. The elastic goes frizzy, tiny holes appear, the fabric gets thinner, threads unravel. Whites turn grey, greys turn greyer, etc. It looks like my laundry during college - one bag to rule them all...one cup of cheer...cold water...double rinse...done...

After a longer cruise, we typically have to toss most of the underwear, socks, t-shirts and other everyday wear out. Still beats having to do laundry.

However, a friend of ours puts in a bag and marks it delicate and has not had similar issues with her delicate unmentionables...

All over the fleet, its the same issue. They are really rough on clothes - must the rocks they use to beat the clothes against. The elastic goes frizzy, tiny holes appear, the fabric gets thinner, threads unravel. Whites turn grey, greys turn greyer, etc. It looks like my laundry during college - one bag to rule them all...one cup of cheer...cold water...double rinse...done...

After a longer cruise, we typically have to toss most of the underwear, socks, t-shirts and other everyday wear out. Still beats having to do laundry.

However, a friend of ours puts in a bag and marks it delicate and has not had similar issues with her delicate unmentionables...

Funny:D..

I filed a claim last cruise with the hotel manager for a Brooks Brothers shirt they scorched and a Columbia shirt where they melted the buttons. After filing out the form I was visited by various members of the laundry department to inspect the clothes. They agreed to reimburse me the cost as ship board credit provided I give them the clothes to keep which I did.

I see you've learned the hard way, just as we did many years ago. :(NEVER trust them to wash good clothing and only use the "cleaning" service for older items.

My underwear & socks get washed in the sink using their bathroom soap because if you have them wash it, they'll be shrunk for sure.

Wow. I guess I'll just bask in the joys of not being Elite! ;p

We're pretty happy that there is self service laundry onboard. When we finally (someday!) become Elite at least we will be pre-warned.

Here are my visual aids to describe how tough the ship's laundry is on clothes. These were all from the Emerald Princess, and we found that ship to be the most egregious laundry destroyer (we have had far more than I've attached photos for). Still, I haven't found any ship's laundry that is kind to clothing. If we cruise for three months, I never plan to return home with any underwear nor most t-shirts. And I wash all our washable dinner clothes myself. However, I have not had bad luck with the Cleaning service, and do still send my slacks to be cleaned.

blogger-image--1035845317.jpg

This was the back of a two month old heavy weight t-shirt ($35 new). The holes stretched about 12" top to bottom. This is the only damaged item I've ever claimed, and I received 10 times the laundry price (I think) which was less than the cost of the shirt.

blogger-image--1712713953.jpg

The neckline of my husband's t-shirt.

blogger-image--1285376694.jpg

The small holes that are fairly common.

blogger-image--2041850655.jpg

More small holes.

We've also had lost clothing (shorts and socks) and twice had waistband buttons destroyed.

Use at your own risk.

Make sure if good that it goes as cleaning NOT laundry. My only issue has been jeans shrinking, I switched to putting them in a bag for cleaning and never had another issue. Never had damage in ~ $1000 worth of cleaning/laundry.

The wife also does take photos of what being sent and matches up with the stuff coming back, she OCD.

framer

I was on the Royal Princess in January and the same thing happened to my t-shirts. Little holes in them. See post #14. The girl at passengers service said she never seen this happen before. Who is she kidding :rolleyes:.

I was given SBC for my loss.

Tony

Make sure if good that it goes as cleaning NOT laundry. My only issue has been jeans shrinking, I switched to putting them in a bag for cleaning and never had another issue. Never had damage in ~ $1000 worth of cleaning/laundry.

The wife also does take photos of what being sent and matches up with the stuff coming back, she OCD.

framer

I have the same problem with pants shrinking after 5-6 days but it never was the laundry it was my expanding waist!