Upgraded by Princess but never noticed

taylorhhan

We booked an inside for the overnight cruise on the emerald princess from Seattle to Vancouver. I did not find out till I print out my boarding pass yesterday that we were upgraded to a balcony room. No complaints, just wondering if they normally give you a notice or not for the upgrade. Booked through TA

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Edited by taylorhhan

We booked an inside for the overnight cruise on the emerald princess from Seattle to Vancouver. I did not find out till I print out my boarding pass yesterday that we were upgraded to a balcony room. No complaints, just wondering if they normally give you a notice or not for the upgrade. Booked through XXXXXX XXXXXX.

Please note that using the name of a Travel Agent is expressly forbidden by the rules of Cruise Critic.

I've been upgraded from an inside to a balcony and the only way I found out about that particular upgrade was by checking my cruise personalizer. Otherwise I would have been surprised at the pier - or when I went to print out my boarding pass and luggage tags. Your TA may have been notified and simply failed to pass it on to you. On that cruise I had booked direct with Princess. Any cruise booked through my TA would have resulted in an immediate notification as soon as the TA was notified (if he was notified...)

Please note that using the name of a Travel Agent is expressly forbidden by the rules of Cruise Critic.

I've been upgraded from an inside to a balcony and the only way I found out about that particular upgrade was by checking my cruise personalizer. Otherwise I would have been surprised at the pier - or when I went to print out my boarding pass and luggage tags. Your TA may have been notified and simply failed to pass it on to you. On that cruise I had booked direct with Princess. Any cruise booked through my TA would have resulted in an immediate notification as soon as the TA was notified (if he was notified...)

Sorry, wasn't aware about this rule.

We booked an inside for the overnight cruise on the emerald princess from Seattle to Vancouver. I did not find out till I print out my boarding pass yesterday that we were upgraded to a balcony room. No complaints, just wondering if they normally give you a notice or not for the upgrade. Booked through TA

Some people have all the luck. Congratulations :D :D

Tony

If you've booked through a TA, the TA receives all notifications. It's their responsibility to notify you. Sounds like your TA dropped the ball. Nice upgrade, though.

Princess can change anyone's booking at any time even if you're linked to another booking or changed your booking to "No upgrade." The default for all bookings is "Will accept an upgrade" so Princess really doesn't need to notify you. Your chances of being changed are reduced if you have it as "No upgrade" but Princess retains the right to move you.

I had a Riviera deck balcony for the 10-26 Regal. I was checking cabin availability and saw mine was available. Without checking the personalizer I called Princess and said why was my cabin available and was told of upgrade to Caribe deck deluxe balcony. Finally realized TA got the heads up and never told me. No complaints on the new cabin.

I am on the same cruise and booked as an Inside Guarantee room. Two days later I received an email stating my cabin had changed and I saw I had been assigned to Mini Suite. I booked directly through Princess, since the TA price was a little higher

If you've booked through a TA, the TA receives all notifications. It's their responsibility to notify you. Sounds like your TA dropped the ball. Nice upgrade, though.

Princess can change anyone's booking at any time even if you're linked to another booking or changed your booking to "No upgrade." The default for all bookings is "Will accept an upgrade" so Princess really doesn't need to notify you. Your chances of being changed are reduced if you have it as "No upgrade" but Princess retains the right to move you.

is the "no upgrade" option visible on princess site? I always book through princess site, but I don't remember every checking or unchecking the "no upgrade" box.

ETA: I just searched the entire princess site and I can't find it.

I am on a different cruise, but accidently booked a sideways room not knowing what it is. Princess will not change me to a non-sideways inside room without me paying $200 more per person (there are 3 of us).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

We were also "upgraded" to a balcony from an inside cabin several years ago on a partial transit Panama Canal cruise on the Emerald.

We found out at the pier when checking in.

For reasons, I won't go into here, we found we didn't like a balcony cabin and now always have our reservations marked no upgrade.

Back in 2011 on a November transatlantic cruise from England back to Ft. Lauderdale we had the best upgrade ever. We had been traveling for 3 weeks in Egypt, Israel and Jordan, flying from Jordan back to London at the end of our land tour. Having not used the internet during our land tour we arrived at Southampton to board the Grand Princess. We were assigned to a cabin which I did not book. I asked at check in if this was correct and they said your cabin has been changed. To end this tale, we were upgraded from an ocean view cabin to one of the newly built Window Suites. My guess was they were afraid of upgrading someone with a balcony to a cabin with only a window. Our good fortune.

I also booked a DV balcony, E409, on the Regal for January, it is one of the angled huge balcony mid ship with no obstruction at all. So just wondering if they end up upgrade us to somewhere else we don't like can we ask to keep the original room instead?
First, make sure your booking is marked No Upgrade. That limits the odds of being moved. If you are moved (rarely happens on NUP bookings) it depends on how soon you notice it as to whether you can be moved back. If they say the room is already taken, tell them to move the people they just put in there to your upgraded room...that usually works since you were marked No Upgrade.

Sorry, wasn't aware about this rule.

Here's your clue: now would be a great time to read all of the rules, and be up to date on them. Scroll up, and near the top of the page, there's a light-blue shaded bar with links in it. You want the "Guidelines" link. Read that, and you'll be all caught up!

I'm really confused about upgrades and changing your cabin. If there is another one in the category you booked available can you request to be moved? There are still cabins available on our Oct cruise.so I contacted my TA to see if he would change our cabin and he said because when we booked it was a special and because of this he really couldn't change our cabin. Last night I needed to have an issue with our EZAir resolved, so when it was done I explained my situation to the Princess rep and she said my TA would have to change our cabin. By the way, we do have that we would expect an upgrade..Do you think my TA is giving me a run around

M Mojito, I am thinking that recieved a special offer, discounted price... And, If this is no longer available, it might be true that you can not change your cabin, without paying the current rates, etc. You can def. change your cabin to any available cabin... But, not necessarily without additional costs.

You said that you checked cabin availability. Have you checked on your TA web-site to see what the current fares and perks happen to be? That would probably be the info that you would need to decide whether you want to make any change to your booking.

It is hard to tell if there is just some confusion, or if your TA is just not well informed, or not great at explaining these factors.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Also, just to note: Our TA def. asked if we wanted to mark this as NO-upgrade or not.

Generally, we have done this, because of the unknown factors, like a supposedly better cabin, but is in a noisy location, etc....

I have heard of something that I think is called a Meta-Upgrade only. That would be an upgrade that, for example, would not be from a balcony to at 'better' balcony, but would be an upgrade to the next type of room, such as a mini-suite. I am NOT an expert, but just mentioning this.

No Upgrade

I cannot find a prompt in my Personalizer that would allow me to specify this choice. Was it there when I originally booked online at Princess, and I just missed it? I suppose I could call in tomarrow, but it just seems like it should be listed.

No Upgrade

I cannot find a prompt in my Personalizer that would allow me to specify this choice. Was it there when I originally booked online at Princess, and I just missed it? I suppose I could call in tomarrow, but it just seems like it should be listed.

You cannot add it yourself.

It used to be in the booking process online through Princess. But could only be done in the initial booking process. Not sure if it's still there or not.

After the booking is established that you have to call Princess to have them add it or your travel agent must contact Princess if you used a TA.

I'm really confused about upgrades and changing your cabin. If there is another one in the category you booked available can you request to be moved? There are still cabins available on our Oct cruise.so I contacted my TA to see if he would change our cabin and he said because when we booked it was a special and because of this he really couldn't change our cabin. Last night I needed to have an issue with our EZAir resolved, so when it was done I explained my situation to the Princess rep and she said my TA would have to change our cabin. By the way, we do have that we would expect an upgrade..Do you think my TA is giving me a run around

In general, you should be able to move to another cabin in the same category regardless of the promo. As long as the category remains the same, no money will change hands and the promo should remain as is. As noted, if you booked through a TA, they'll have to do it.