No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

Save Our Cruise Log HAL !

Holacanada en direct de Québec

P.S. : take the example at what some hotels and palace offer to their patrons… Every night we receive a card (carton) with the name of the maid and the weather forecast. Sometimes with a doodle on it !

We, your distinguished clientele deserve this recognition… A simple way to rise above the competition. You do not think ?

Edited by holacanada

I just sent my complaint to Customer Service so I hope as many of you that can will do the same. I got off a HAL ship three weeks ago and got Cruise Logs for both segments, so I am unhappy to hear of this cost saving measure. Cut the sale fliers by one or two and keep the Cruise Logs!

So have I. I suggest that you also send one to the Office of the President.

I too am missing looking at the cruise log. It was a wonderful Voyage of the Viking cruise, but.... I did not check the television screen for the total sailed mileage before leaving the Rotterdam. And heaven knows, we paid enough for that cruise that printing the cruise log would not make a dent in HAL's profits.

If HAL says it is too costly to keep printing the cruise logs, well.... how about all of those ridiculous ads and promotions we receive onboard???

HAL is not wasting money on keeping the Lido open. You eat on their schedule or pay for room service if you want something nice.

HAL has brought onboard a lot of entertainers that really do not encourage the normal HAL cruiser to go and see.

HAL has cut the kitchen staff and dining staff so much that people have to wait and wait. Saving money here.

SO..... this new HAL president has had no experience with cruising before accepting his current job.... and it shows!

Okay. I am done complaining. Sorry for going on and on.

Any chance HAL has been get lawsuit threats regarding port times (arrival & depart times) and that log I fuel for the fire?

I understand the Cruise Contract is in place, to avoid that kind of crap, but trust me, there are folks willing to sue and want money back because they did not get their 8 posted hours of beach time because the ship arrived late, and their entire vacation was ruined. That cruise log verifies their claim. And there are always lawyers willing to try.

Any chance HAL has been get lawsuit threats regarding port times (arrival & depart times) and that log I fuel for the fire?

I understand the Cruise Contract is in place, to avoid that kind of crap, but trust me, there are folks willing to sue and want money back because they did not get their 8 posted hours of beach time because the ship arrived late, and their entire vacation was ruined. That cruise log verifies their claim. And there are always lawyers willing to try.

What a world !

What Dockman and KNOT said. Although they theoretically recycle the ads and promotionals if disposed of in the PAPER section of the trashcan -- just the INK on the multicolored spa commercials would pay for the cruise log. I've often remarked, well it must work or they wouldn't keep doing it, but can this be true? I don't begrudge people who enjoy a spa treatment, but is finding almost glossy flyers on their beds what motivates them to show up there?

We are just off the Rotterdam 8/2-9/9 Voyage of the Vikings. There was no Cruise Log at the end. I inquired at the Front Desk' date=' and was told that this was the new policy. This is very disappointing. Aside from being convenient remembrances of past voyages, the Logs are the only source for the names of the principal ship staff. Many passengers were grumbling about this one more bit of economizing. HAL makes a big deal about the loyalty and repeat cruising of its passengers, but it seems to be eliminating many of its 'signature' features. So what will there be to be loyal to ? The Cruise Log is a trivial document to format. If the expense of printing it is just too great, how about sending it out as a PDF with the post-cruise questionnaire ?[/quote']

Thank you, Jenny's Uncle, for noticing and speaking up both on board and here. I like your PDF suggestion. Wish I had thought of this before I spent nearly two hours online filling out the HAL questionnaire for our spectacular Voyage of the Vikings. The Cruise Log truly WAS special.

For what it is worth, we sailed a total of 9245 nautical miles together.

Barbara

I think it a really bad decision and a disappointing change... but to what purpose? most changes usually revolve around cost cutting but what meaningful money saving here to discontinue a feature because it requires paper and printer ink ? :loudcry: I expect one poster or another will provide us with the projecedt arithmetic. ...... Save yourself the trouble, no way to total it to more than minimal , IMO. :D He keeps removing so many features that make HAL, ,,, HAL. Is there no end to so many silly changes?

They could cut down on all those useless advertisements we get everyday and night about this sale and that sale. I want my end of cruise log.

I have also sent my concerns to the above mentioned guest services and office of the president. Last year on our cruise on Koningsdam, we did not get one and were told that this was new policy. We mentioned our discontent about this in the survey. The two cruises after Koningsdam, last year on Prinsendam and this year on Maasdam, we again got our beloved cruise log, so thought Koningsdam was a one-off. Having read comments here, made me react to the head-office, hoping we can turn this around.

I would not mind having it only in PDF to my mail address, which I suggested in the mail, hoping somebody will listen!

I too am disappointed with HAL's decision to discontinue the Cruise Log. Another cost cutting measure that is not appreciated by many of us who are loyal to the cruise line. As I mentioned in my e that I just sent, it is another step backwards - what happens when they hit a brick wall?

This occurred to me, too. The cruise logs may have been used just as you suggest, wannagonow. This seems more plausible than cost-cutting just for the printing costs. Maybe the result of handing out these nice mementos is "no good deed goes unpunished."

Anyhow, I'm sorry to hear about this change. I'll miss the logs. They were a very nice touch that we appreciated. DH especially enjoyed looking them over.

:(

I'm really disappointed in this also. It seems like the trend with HAL is to make the cruise experience less sea based.

Look at the changes in the recent years:

* promenade deck on K-Dam high , narrow in places, and no loungers

* less public outdoor space

* interiors looking more like Starbucks or Pottery Barn, less nautical

And now no cruise log.

:mad:

One thing the paper Cruise Log did that a PDF version won't cover is the dining times for the dining room and Lido on disembarkation morning.

How is that (vital) information being disseminated with no log?

Although I like the logs, and have always read & kept them, I can live without them. However, I do see the discontinuance of the logs as just one more take away of the cruise experience on the way to changing to a money-making experience only. One by one the niceties of cruising are disappearing, to the point now that there are few left.

So, what time is breakfast, anyway?

One thing the paper Cruise Log did that a PDF version won't cover is the dining times for the dining room and Lido on disembarkation morning.

Although I like the logs, and have always read & kept them, I can live without them. However, I do see the discontinuance of the logs as just one more take away of the cruise experience on the way to changing to a money-making experience only. One by one the niceties of cruising are disappearing, to the point now that there are few left.

I asked the same question earlier in this thread Ruth.

I suspect the breakfast times would show in the Navigator app which is available on board. The only problem is that it would not be available to people who do not have smart phones, ipads, etc.

It would be in the When and Where too possibly the day before???

Just a guess.

I suspect the breakfast times would show in the Navigator app which is available on board. The only problem is that it would not be available to people who do not have smart phones, ipads, etc.

Breakfast hours are the kind of information that every passenger should have access to---without purchasing a smart phone, and requiring that it be with you and turned on.

I wish someone who has reported not getting a Cruise Log would let us know how they learned what the breakfast hours were on the last morning.

Not everyone disembarks, so knowing how long you can sleep in on turn-around day can be helpful.

Are you talking about the daily program / When & Where, which we did receive, or the Cruise Log?

Barbara

Are you talking about the daily program / When & Where, which we did receive, or the Cruise Log?

Barbara

I'm asking about the Cruise Log. The procedure has been that if you are disembarking in the morning, you do not get a daily program delivered the night before. You do get the Cruise Log, and in there the breakfast hours are listed. It's the only way to know the hours of operation.

If you are staying on, you get both the Cruise Log from the completed cruise, and the daily program for the next one. But since everyone has to disembark eventually, I am asking how you learn the breakfast hours if there is no Cruise Log to list them in.