How Do You Deal with Non-Responsive TA?

RU_Gremlin

I've booked a cruise to Alaska for next year. I wanted to go about it myself, but my fiance convinced me that the best choice was to use a travel agent. They'll help with the flighst she said, and watch for better deals, and make recommendations. Long story short, I lost that battle. Now we have an issue where the travel agent we booked is horrifically unresponsive (I'm not talking about a day or even a week to respond... I'm talking it's 2-3 weeks before we get frustrated, send an email asking what's going on, and then 2-3 weeks before we get a response to that). The response is always accompanied by an excuse.

What recourse (other than leaving a terrible review, or going through all the documentation that Princess requires to change the booking to as if we did it ourselves) do we have, if any?

Thanks

You are well before final payment. Find a new TA. When you do, let them know what happened. Contact Princess - Customer Relations even. Let them know briefly that you are firing the TA you have now for good cause and you wish to switch the booking over to the new TA. Princess will require your authorization somewhere along the line. Either given to the new TA, or directly to Princess. You won't lose your booking.

You can also advise Princess you are firing TA and want them to take it back so you are dealing with Princess directly. But, you can probably find a better TA and one that will give some discount.

Once you have wrested the booking to yourself or a new TA, go ahead and post a review somewhere (not here as we cannot mention specific TA's, even to warn people off the bad ones).

Another idea is to cancel out and re-book if there is no financial difference involved to your fare.

I had heard that you can transfer FROM Princess to a TA, but they would not take bookings back????

Hopefully, since this is well before final payment. this poster would not have to pay any fees or forfeit any money or perks like S&S to just cancel and then book with a better TA. (or even Princess, after cancelling....)

Anyhow, while we are not having any true problems... We thought we had found a good TA when I got a recommendation from a good CC member we are familiar with. This new TA did come out $250.00 ahead... but, to be honest... the communication and service has been very lackluster. No assistance or extra info or advice More than once we are in the position to try to call Princess ourselves. As she "doesn't have time for every little thing..." : (

Call princess give them your booking number and have it pulled from the TA.

As for better deals keep a watchful eye out yourself and make the phone calls. Iv never had a TA or CL call and tell me there was a price drop.

As for better deals keep a watchful eye out yourself and make the phone calls. Iv never had a TA or CL call and tell me there was a price drop.

Actually, I would modify my original advice and agree with ppmanusa. Pull the reservation right now to Princess. If you find a good TA later on, transfer to them if you like. But you have nothing to lose by dumping the loser you have now.

I've booked a cruise to Alaska for next year. I wanted to go about it myself, but my fiance convinced me that the best choice was to use a travel agent. They'll help with the flighst she said, and watch for better deals, and make recommendations. Long story short, I lost that battle. Now we have an issue where the travel agent we booked is horrifically unresponsive (I'm not talking about a day or even a week to respond... I'm talking it's 2-3 weeks before we get frustrated, send an email asking what's going on, and then 2-3 weeks before we get a response to that). The response is always accompanied by an excuse.

What recourse (other than leaving a terrible review, or going through all the documentation that Princess requires to change the booking to as if we did it ourselves) do we have, if any?

Thanks

I had heard that you can transfer FROM Princess to a TA, but they would not take bookings back???? NOT TRUE.

Anyhow, while we are not having any true problems... We thought we had found a good TA when I got a recommendation from a good CC member we are familiar with. This new TA did come out $250.00 ahead... but, to be honest... the communication and service has been very lackluster. No assistance or extra info or advice More than once we are in the position to try to call Princess ourselves. As she "doesn't have time for every little thing..." : (

Fire Those TAs. They don't deserve your business.

It's easy. Just call Princess and tell the rep what you want to do. IIRC the one time I did it, there is a form that Princess will email you and you send it back. That puts your booking back with Princess.

Then go shopping for a new TA.

Actually, I would modify my original advice and agree with ppmanusa. Pull the reservation right now to Princess. If you find a good TA later on, transfer to them if you like. But you have nothing to lose by dumping the loser you have now.

Totally agree! There are great TAs out there who are responsive and will work hard for you. To not respond to a client for weeks as you have described is unacceptable.

Thanks

Where did your fiance get her info..and did she recommend the TA to use....just sayin'....... If you are new to planning getaways do what is easiest for you.

JFYI...most TA's that give large discounts or OBC do not handle flights and do not watch for price adjustments, it is generally up to you.

A TA that who keeps more commission or is a top seller for Princess thus, gains more benefits from Princess will be more hands on.

Personally, I would cancel the booking and re- book with Princess..sometimes it is best to go through them on your first few cruises.

If you got some screamin' deal, then you'll have to accept the lack of service from the TA because if you transfer back to Princess the only thing you will keep will be your cabin, pricing may change.

Also is your deposit refundable? Does the TA charge a fee to cancel.

Planning trips you learn by trial and error.. I've been doing it for my family for over 30 years...I am still learning,........best wishes...

Edited by land lover

Past few years we have had so many bad oneS it is ridiculous. I have been afraid to do anything or say anything so now I will book with the cruise lines. After last years issues I got a higher level person to help with the already booked cruise.

Send an e-mail to the original agent and said

"YOU'RE FIRED" GAVE ME A LOT OF PLEASURE- SHE WAS NOT HELPFUL AND NOT RESPONSIVE.

NO MORE AGENTS. Enough said.

If you got some screamin' deal, then you'll have to accept the lack of service from the TA because if you transfer back to Princess the only thing you will keep will be your cabin, pricing may change.

Also is your deposit refundable? Does the TA charge a fee to cancel.

Never heard of pricing changing or losing a deposit when transferring a booking. If you cancel and rebook, then yes, but that's entirely different from transferring.

It's easy. Just call Princess and tell the rep what you want to do. IIRC the one time I did it, there is a form that Princess will email you and you send it back. That puts your booking back with Princess.

Agree.

Great advice I totally agree with you.

Tony

I must be missing something. We've done 19 (I think) Princess cruises and always made all the arrangements. I'm just not sure what a travel agent could do for us that we couldn't do (and have done) for ourselves. Besides, making all the arrangements is fun and guarantees that we end up with everything we want. One thing is for sure, there are no hassles.

I must be missing something. We've done 19 (I think) Princess cruises and always made all the arrangements. I'm just not sure what a travel agent could do for us that we couldn't do (and have done) for ourselves. Besides, making all the arrangements is fun and guarantees that we end up with everything we want. One thing is for sure, there are no hassles.

What you are missing is the fact that using a TA can save you 8-10% in the form of lower fares on some lines, access to group rates, getting OBC, and various other perks.

I went with a on-line no frills Travel Agent for my Alaskan cruise because I wanted to do a back to back, wanted the same cabin and it got more complicated than I wanted to deal with. I decided what ship, when, and cabin I wanted ahead of time and got the TA to book for me. Bonus was about 7% refundable onboard credit for each leg of the cruise. Negative is for most things I have to give them a call - and don't expect a upsell call or notice of fee lowering... but I do not want to move cabins and I monitor cruise prices regularly so no problem on either of those points for me.

Any good TA will watch for deals, and keep you in the loop. In our case, our TA knows what to look for and doesn't need our permission to make certain changes. We have a small TA, who specializes in cruising. When we find a cruise and the right suite (usually a vista) we keep it.

I booked our cruise last month with a new TA after the one I used for our February cruise did not return my calls in a timely manner. Since I book most of our cruises after the final payment date, I need a TA who will respond the same day--not two or three days later. After the final payment date, it's not possible to transfer a booking from Princess to a TA.

We deal very easily with a non-responsive (or lousy) agent or agency. To quote the President, our words are "Your Fired!" We will either transfer the reservation...or sometimes if that is not possible we have been known to cancel a cruise and re book with a different agency. If there are bad problems we will call the cruise line, ask to speak with a supervisor, and make it clear that we want the reservation transferred or canceled. I should mention that we have not had to "fire" an agency in years...because we eventually developed our own "short list" of favored agencies which have withstood the test of time.

Hank

I think the very large discount we received off of the price for our next cruise is sufficient reason to use a TA.