Medical Kit

babs135

Although we don't sail until January I'm in the early planning stage of what to pack, shore excursions, etc. and along with this is what medicines to take.

We will be away for 5 weeks, by far the longest cruise we have ever taken and with DH not being very well on our last cruise I feel I need to think more carefully about what we pack. We are doing Southampton to San Francisco in January so will experience both hot and cold weather.

Obviously prescription medicines are first in the case along with the anti seasickness tablets (!) but what else do people take?

Most important for me is a box of band-aids plus gauze pads or gauze roll and tape. And a tube of antiseptic cream. Don't want to have to visit the medical center just for a bad cut.

Headache remedy of choice. But be careful: on the behind-the-scenes tour the ship's doctor told us the second most frequent emergency on board (after injuries from falls) is passengers ill from taking too many NSIDS.

Stomach ache remedy of choice. Plus a pack of Gas-X tablets--because even long-time partners may wish to be a little more discreet being in much closer than normal quarters for more than a month.

Lip balm, eye drops, a small tube of Gold Bond cream--especially if travelling to a drier climate than at home. (ETA after seeing above response: cough drops or lozenges as well)

Beyond the obvious, you have to ask yourself: what occasional ailments would crimp my vacation? Even if they only come up once or twice a year, would not having the medicine handy be a setback? Anything from toenail fungus to hemorrhoids--you know your own bodies. So pack your kit accordingly.

Because you asked & BTW, it all fits in a zip lock bag.

Probiotic & Bonine (we take daily)

Benadryl, Zinc cold tabs, Sinus tabs, cough drops

Tylenol & Advil

Bandaids & Moleskin

Antiseptic wipes & antibacterial cream

UTI test strip, Cipro & cranberry tabs

Z-PAC & Amoxicillin

Anti-diarrheal & Beano & Rolaids

Bear in mind that many of your port stops will be in civilized lands, so you can easily restock supplies for reasonable prices, and worst case there is a medical facility onboard. I'd certainly agree that a few pills/small tube of ointment etc. are sensible suggestions.

Sun block will be MUCH cheaper buying a good size bottle at home than onboard if you run out - and while initially you'll be in the cold water part of the cruise and might not think about needing it, reflected light off water really ramps up the sunburn potential so even in January I'd make sure to have whatever Factor you normally apply for sunny days on hand.

Something else I've found very handy if you change up your routine - perhaps not a factor on the transatlantic part unless you're on a ship with climbing walls or similar very physical activities! - is tiger balm, hot/cold cream or similar muscle-relaxant rubs. After doing anything unfamiliar, or just more walking than you're used to, a run with those can really help avoid stiffness next day.

With five weeks onboard laundry becomes a necessity, but you can still cut back on how many clothes you take with efficient layering items - your lightest layers should be suitable for the warmest climate you'll face, and all layers combined enough to handle the coldest (NB: wind chill and ship movement can easily drop 'real feel' temp by 10C or more). A wind- & water-proof top shell layer will be a necessity if you want to go on deck while crossing the ocean in January!

I take a dental adhesive repair kit. I have a number of crowns and one permanent bridge. I don't know if I could really glue something back if it fell off, but I'd like to try.

Linda, you are my hero. I'm adding dental adhesive to my stash.

Although we don't sail until January I'm in the early planning stage of what to pack, shore excursions, etc. and along with this is what medicines to take.

We will be away for 5 weeks, by far the longest cruise we have ever taken and with DH not being very well on our last cruise I feel I need to think more carefully about what we pack. We are doing Southampton to San Francisco in January so will experience both hot and cold weather.

Obviously prescription medicines are first in the case along with the anti seasickness tablets (!) but what else do people take?

On a long cruise we take a lot and we expect that we will get a cold.

So cough syrup and cough drops and other over the counter items for colds. Pills for headaches. Band Aids of all different sizes, anti bacterial ointment, extra prescription medications just in case there is a delay getting home. Aspirin, Tylenol, and over the counter medicine for severe headaches, alcohol wipes, anti diarrhea, tums, and probably thirty or so other items that my wife takes for the two of us.

Keith

In addition to what has already been suggested, we also take an emergency dental kit. They cost fewer than $10 and contain toothache medication, temporary glue in case a filling, cap, etc, falls out, and a few other items.

Have you ever tried to use one of those?

It ain't as easy as it sounds.

I travel a lot internationally for work.

I carry:

Ibuprofen (back issues, I live on these)

Tums

Imodium

Ducolax (yes sometimes you need one, sometimes the other. :) )

Pepto chewables

Benadryl

Hydrocortisone cream

Antibiotic cream and bandaids (anything more, and I want a professional to look).

Ambien (to deal with time zone dislocation sleep issues for a few days)

Tropical areas I will typically carry a tube of anti fungal cream. Damp areas of the body can be an issue, not just feet.

I don't carry antibiotics, as I would rather see a professional before using them. Misuse of antibiotics can cause bigger issues.

we bring everything.... 2 adults in their 40s and 1 6 year old child.

Last time we forgot a thermometer, but, thankfully, our friends brought one. In Celsius. Mercury based. It was a bit tough, but we managed.

Hubs and kid have allergies and stomach problems, I have arthritis and migraines.

Ibuprophen/acetaminophen for adults and for kids

Tums and prescription antacids, such as esomeprazole, but non-prescription omeprazole will do in a pinch. Ranitidine for the kid per pediatrician.

immodium AND constipation relief

pepto in chewable tablets. Regular pepto is NOT SUITABLE for children, beware!

Echinacea and vit C for colds (last time kiddo caught one from the friend's kid)

Thermometer

migraine meds

a TON of bandaids in different shapes and sizes. Regular and waterproof. Kid sliced a foot open on Princess Cays, and these have been irreplaceable.

hydrocortisone and antibiotic creams

cold tablets

over-the-counter allergy meds

saline spray for hub's nose, but he didn't need to use it because the air was very humid and full of sea water. :)

Not a medication, but I thought I'd mention it - a bottle or so of SPF50+ lotion per day.

That's about it. Comes to about 2 gallon sized ziplock bags (without the SPF lotion), which we put into our carry-on luggage. Saline spray got confiscated on the way home (by TSA).

we usually travel to the Caribbean and I'd never trust any meds I'd buy there.

Apart from medications etc the first thing in my case is a dental repair kit. In the UK Boots the Chemist sell them. I'm convinced that the one time I don't pack it is the time I'll need it! Also an extra week's worth of prescription meds.

We take what we know was needed on previous trips:

Headache pills, various cold medicines and a bag of ordinary cough/throat lozenges, Imodium, motion sickness pills, ginger pills, band aid, antibiotic cream. Add whatever you need occasionally.

Mosquito spray, sunscreen lotion, disinfectant wipes, a small container for toilet paper ashore in countries that don't supply any.

I used to take more, but never needed it. We also bought extras in countries where drugstores are well stocked such as New Zealand, Australia, France, Germany, Canada. In some countries, I prefer their local product and plan shopping accordingly.

Mask. Just been on British Isles last week and we had severe cough due the changing weather in a day. We wanted to wear mask while on excursion to limit the spread of germs and not be embarrassed while coughing. We were unable to get one on the ship. Had to look for, and found, in a pharmacy in port.

I have taken and found very useful non-stick gauze pads, paper tape, regular gauze pads of a couple of sizes, antiseptic cream, band-aids of various sizes, Q-Tips, sore throat lozenges, Aleve, and a package of Meclazine, just in case. (Fortunately, I've never needed it.)

Don't be afraid to visit your ship's Medical Center, if you need to do so. Kind, considerate, and professional treatment is what I always have experienced.