Celebrity introducing nonrefundable deposits?

bornabilly

I saw in an email from a travel agent today that non-refundable deposits are coming in November. Anyone heard about this?

Aren’t all deposits non-refundable?

Transferable yes, but refundable???

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Paul

The US get deposits back if they cancel a booking up to final payment I think, there is a lot of discussion about people booking multiple cruises and cancelling as they draw nearer which reduces availability and keeps prices high. Also the US don't get travel insurance as we do, we purchase annually but some Americans just purchase something called "cancel for any reason" to protect a deposit.

Hi Paul

The US get deposits back if they cancel a booking up to final payment I think, there is a lot of discussion about people booking multiple cruises and cancelling as they draw nearer which reduces availability and keeps prices high. Also the US don't get travel insurance as we do, we purchase annually but some Americans just purchase something called "cancel for any reason" to protect a deposit.

Then it’s nice to see one of the many “advantages” they have in the US being brought into line with the rest of us [emoji38]

BTW, if you book with Cunard they want 15% deposit, non-refundable!!!

I was shocked to discover that when I was forced to cancel and lose a deposit to take advantage of a better offer, that if this had been a USA booking not a UK booking, there would have been no problem.

Hope they follow through completely and not go on with this new idea of higher deposits refundable and lower non-refundable. But it seems they are learning that they have given themselves full ships until final payment and then empty ships where they have to sell cabins cheap.

I was shocked to discover that when I was forced to cancel and lose a deposit to take advantage of a better offer, that if this had been a USA booking not a UK booking, there would have been no problem.

Hope they follow through completely and not go on with this new idea of higher deposits refundable and lower non-refundable. But it seems they are learning that they have given themselves full ships until final payment and then empty ships where they have to sell cabins cheap.

It’s the cost pp that is different i.e. if it’s the same system as Royal, the cost of the cruise pp is more expensive for a refundable deposit and a cheaper rate pp for non-refundable - the same system as hotels use for booking.

It’s the cost pp that is different i.e. if it’s the same system as Royal, the cost of the cruise pp is more expensive for a refundable deposit and a cheaper rate pp for non-refundable - the same system as hotels use for booking.

Yes some of the hotels do use that system. maybe they will roll it out for UK customers too.

Not for me have had enough of their shenanigans.

When RCI first introduced their non-refundable deposits at a "lower" fare, we had bookings already in place with them. A price check indicated that the new "lower" fare non-refundable rates were at or similar to the already booked refundable rates we had in place, and the new refundable rates were higher for new bookings.

So be advised that, at least in our case, the non-refundable rates are not necessarily at at lower rate than that of the previously refundable deposit rate. It would seam that this could just be a thinly disguised way to increase their overall fare base.

In short, we are not fans of this and this is one of the many policy changes in recent years with RCI (under the former Celebrity CEO) that had us move our bookings from RCI to Celebrity. It would be a real shame in my opinion to see these types of changes now headed for Celebrity.

nothing new in europe...,

book what you want to use, nothing else or additional..

I case you do not use, you loose your deposit....

Thats the worst part of the game here, the great part is: the cruise lines are not able to kick you

out of the contract as well...

I've never taken travel insurance. Not just for cruises (about 20) but also for foreign trips including 3 week safari. I'm 60 and my wife is 64. Maybe in the future we might get insurance, who knows. Now I've saved enough over the years that if I happen to lose a cruise I've still made out in the long run. Now if going over seas I do sometimes book medical insurance.

Having travel insurance is seen as the sensible option here in the UK. Very few Brits travel abroad without it. Understand that if you break your arm or leg here you simply visit a hospital, get it fixed and don't pay a penny.

If I were to break my leg in the US and have no travel insurance I believe my medical bills could be several times the cost of the vacation. So it's a no brainer really.

Many UK bank accounts give you free fairly comprehensive annual multi trip travel insurance as a perk of banking with them so many take advantage of that. With other EU member states we also have various reciprocal agreements for medical care independent of travel insurance policies.

We also have a wealth of insurance policies to cover more dangerous activities etc as you will do also, though these are probably not required on a cruise ship!

Since I have never cancelled a booked cruise with all the cruises we have done, this could prove to be a positive for us. We book early to get the cabin we want. With nonrefundable deposits, maybe the better cabins won't be booked by people that aren't sure if they are going on the cruise; but want to reserve the cabin in case. My only concern is that if we aren't able to benefit from price drops with out losing the deposit.

As far as losing the deposit due to a medical condition or other valid reason, if you charge the deposit on a credit card that provides free travel insurance, I assume you should be able to get it back.

I understand penalties for for last minute cancellations but to place penalties on consumers for cancelling a reservation made two years out is bothersome. There are many factors in planning a cruise vacation and one cannot know about unexpected events that may occur 18 or 24 months from now. Job situation could change. An uexpected family situation could create a fiancial issue. Air service to your destination could be terminated or become cost prohibitive. Health could become an issue. So, while intentions to follow through on a cruise booking may be valid at the time of booking, stuff happens and the cruise line needs to maintain some flexibility (i.e., transferring the deposit to a future cruise if cancelling). It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

That is essentially what Chucktownsteve is saying. He's pointing out that for these genuine potential problems that you should be adequately insured.

His issue is with people booking multiple trips with no intention of taking all of them. Something that is common, I've read of people openly admitting that they do this on this very forum. Due to the increased number of essentially 'fake' booking prices are inflated artificially high for those wanting to book before final payment date. Hope that makes sense?

So be advised that, at least in our case, the non-refundable rates are not necessarily at at lower rate than that of the previously refundable deposit rate. It would seam that this could just be a thinly disguised way to increase their overall fare base.

That's what I suspected was the real modus operandi behind the non-refundable deposit. I have only cancelled one cruise I booked due to a situation at my DW's work. We received a full refund. We had one cruise where we were a no show at the dock because American Air failed to get us to the ship before it sailed. We received full compensation for all non refundable deposits for the cruise and hotels.

So I understand both positions. However I always purchase independent trip insurance not just for the cruise but for medical outside the U.S. I don't see a problem with people who like to self insure if they have the assets to cover a catastrophic occurrence. I personally don't wish to take that risk.

Insurance is a bet. I bet something bad will happen and the insurance company bets it won't. Either way I still win with peace of mind. One claim could cover the cost of about ten insured trip's premium.

I took a non refundable deposit on our upcoming HAL sailing because we never book a cruise with the intention of not taking it. I'd much rather have a less expensive cruise so the new deposit policy will benefit me...especially if it keeps the faux bookings from escalating the cabin pricing.

That's just my POV ; YMMV. :D

Then I guess you need to get travel insurance for the amount of the deposit with a "cancel for any reason" option. BTW, I don't like non-refundable deposits, either. And I rarely cancel reservations.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Celebrity doesn't offer cancel for any reason or any other type of cancellation for any Canadian clients. This is a problem, and it will sink them. I am a TA, and this was driven in part by my industry. I strongly disagree with it, and it was a way to have commissions paid earlier We wait until final payments are made to get our commissions, which means 90 days out for cruises booked maybe 2 years ahead. I'm a wee small agency and I wait. The big boys don't like it. I have clients booked with non-refundable on cruises affected by IRMA, and it's not pretty. They want out but now have to rebook. I hope they will not do this until RCCL tests it for a couple of years to see how the clients react.

I'm not booking a cruise with a non-refundable deposit. That's just my personal opinion. Our upcoming Silhouette cruise had a $450 per person deposit! I guess I will either be booking after final payment when I can insure the whole amount of the trip if sailing with Celebrity (we're Elite Plus) or I will be moving on to enjoy other cruise lines.

Since I have never cancelled a booked cruise with all the cruises we have done, this could prove to be a positive for us. We book early to get the cabin we want. With nonrefundable deposits, maybe the better cabins won't be booked by people that aren't sure if they are going on the cruise; but want to reserve the cabin in case. My only concern is that if we aren't able to benefit from price drops with out losing the deposit.

As far as losing the deposit due to a medical condition or other valid reason, if you charge the deposit on a credit card that provides free travel insurance, I assume you should be able to get it back.

Trust me Mike, you can never have too much travel and medical insurance! [emoji6]

I guess I'll wait and read the new rules thoroughly before doing anything. Although we enjoy booking early to secure those much sought after "special staterooms," we'll probably give them up and book later in the process, maybe even after final payment depending on how the new booking rules affect those last minute price drops. We've never cancelled a cruise, and don't plan to, but you never know what life has in store. And we ALWAYS book travel insurance.

Double thread.

You are correct..There are two threads about the exact same thing, but it does not help to say "Double Thread" You should have reported it.. that's what the report feature is for..

It is not the OP's fault as both threads were started within minutes of each other.. It will be up to the Hosts how to combine them.

I have now reported it to the hosts, & it may take them a while to do something about them..

Edited by serendipity1499

Andy's information is interesting. They will give you a choice of refundable higher price, or non-refundable for a lower price, for a specific November promotion.

I would bet, without hesitation, that they will make this two choice system the standard. Royal already does. HAL is doing it.

Further I would expect that the non-refundable/lower fare option will be at the current price level equivalent.

One fact not being discussed is that the cruise lines rely on bookings to keep the public stock markets happy that sales are strong. The company would have to reeducate the market analysts.

I realize that others in this thread have said similar, or pieces, I just wanted to put all together.

Ken

Andy's information is interesting. They will give you a choice of refundable higher price, or non-refundable for a lower price, for a specific November promotion.

Further I would expect that the non-refundable/lower fare option will be at the current price level equivalent.

Ken

I agree. You will pay more if you want a refundable deposit.

We haven't booked far in advance in years. We have never cancelled a cruise (fingers crossed). But still I'm not happy with this change..:(

I as well am not crazy about this policy.

I am looking at cruises in the Summer of 2019- nearly two

years away and they are already filling up! A lot can happen

in people's lives in that time span; however, I do like planning ahead.

Recent hurricanes are an example- the two couples traveling with

us both cancelled! Bummer

I would not be planning so far ahead, but to get a cabin that we want,

it is a necessity.

Thanks for listening :)

I would bet, without hesitation, that they will make this two choice system the standard. Royal already does. HAL is doing it.

Ken

....which to me is disappointing. Why not maintain a profile that is different from the others? Having cruised with RCI for over 25 years I clearly remember all the things they did that the others were not to grow their business. They were the innovators and the ones that were different who focused on the customer as a growth strategy. That is one of the main reasons we stayed with them through the years.

Now (surprisingly under the leadership of the ex-Celebrity CEO) they are the "me too-ers" with their primary focus on their bottom line IMO at the expense of their customers. That is one of the key reasons we shifted to Celebrity. They still seemed to maintain a more independent brand attitude in their business with a good customer focus. What a shame it would be for them to now follow suit with RCI and the others.....

Since Celebrity's current CEO comes from a Royal Caribbean background it would explain the current series of changes. I think Celebrity would be wise to take a minute and remember what has made them special in the marketplace. Progress is important and inevitable, and of course profit is every company's goal, but sagacious progress would be prudent and remembering who your customer base is would be smart business IMHO.