Live from the Regal Princess First Ocean Medallion Cruise November 13 2017

mcg1313

Kris;

To put to rest (possibly) the concerns about blocking the RFID chip.. DW brought an RFID blocker which works for cc's and passports. We used the Navigator's tablets for the demo. It appears that the tablets pick up a medallion about 12-15 feet away. When DW put her Medallion in the RFID blocker the tablet picked it up at about the same distance. We were told that the battery and the frequency used made the difference.

Perhaps you can verify this.

Robin

From what I've read elsewhere about the technology, the Medallion's use 2 types, RFID & BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy). It's the BLE that allows for the distance, and, isn't being blocked. The battery in it should last about 30 days.

I thought they should include a watch on the face with the date & time and sync it to the time zone.

http://www.rfidjournal.com/articles/view?15502/3

We're looking forward to the 1/28/2018 cruise on the Regal.

Yes, I know I'll probably be hammered for my negative comment, but I can't believe that people actually think this is all about making the 'cruiser's' experience more enhanced. Really? We just disembarked from the Regal...we do love the ship...The sensors or whatever you call the apparatus that is part of this technology......look at the stateroom bathroom, there's even one in there. Isn't the medallion kind of like having a GPS tracker attached to you?

My 2 cents ... even before the ***** went live for only a handful of peeps on the Regal, I figured out this is to create greater efficiency for Princess ... possibly fewer onboard staff and an enhanced bottom line and more profit for the company. All the hoopla and rollout excitement is just plain old marketing and endless spin.

I would hope that during this rollout Princess would refund to the ***** guinea pigs at least half their cruise fare. But I suppose Princess wants the selectees to feel so special that they'll participate for free.

It would seem that a lot of money was spent to create and market a half-baked concept that won't be ready for primetime for a very long time.

I do believe the ***** is meant to increase Princess profits by adding onboard efficiency more than enhancing passenger experience.

It's all in the marketing and the spin.

Yes, I know I'll probably be hammered for my negative comment, but I can't believe that people actually think this is all about making the 'cruiser's' experience more enhanced. Really? We just disembarked from the Regal...we do love the ship...The sensors or whatever you call the apparatus that is part of this technology......look at the stateroom bathroom, there's even one in there. Isn't the medallion kind of like having a GPS tracker attached to you?

is this program mandatory or can you still use your old cards?

is this program mandatory or can you still use your old cards?

I don't believe you will be able to use the current style card, but according to Princess you can opt out.

Is using Compass or Medallion required?

Using either Compass or Medallion is not mandatory to have anamazing vacation. But the more you engage with both, the more you’ll see theexciting opportunities available on your journey.

Will I be able to opt out of or turnoff this new technology?

If you do not want to take advantage of the full OceanMedallion experience, you can switch your privacy setting to "SafetyOnly" and enjoy the cruise the same great way you do today.

I do believe the ***** is meant to increase Princess profits by adding onboard efficiency more than enhancing passenger experience.

I think the ***** can do both.

A few posts have been mentioning this is about princess profitability. That's a good thing. I want to sail with a company that is profitable. This leads to enhanced services, happier crew and happier passengers.... :)

On the other hand we do wonder about the privacy related issues of a medallion. Consider that the cruise line could, in theory, track your every move on the ship. They would know how long you are in the bathroom. bed, bars, where you go, what you buy, etc. That is why we speculated will they question a cruiser who spends too much time in the bathrooms ("are you ill?). I do see the advantages for the cruise line such as not having to scan each cruise card as folks rush back aboard from a port.

Interesting thought re privacy.

Don't wear the medallion in the bathroom - put it on your pillow so they'll just think you sleep alot ;)

The Medallion is not the first tracker, Disney has had it for years, and RCCL recently came out with their version. So if you don't want to be "tracked" you had better cruise quickly or it will be too late.

Technology advances are incredible. We are being tracked regularly off the ship anyways - automobile GPS, traffic cameras, location services on cell phones, internet cookies and browsing history, and the list will go on.

An article this week says flying cars possible in two years! WOW! new ships will need extra decks to store our cars (for a hefty upcharge service fee of course) - we can put our medallion on, get in our car, fly to the ship, ***** let's them know we are 10 minutes out somehow, facial detectors are placed on the landing pad so we just have to look straight ahead when we touch down to check-in, the concierges get ready at the landing bay to grab our luggage, and on and on..

Have The Jetsons arrived and are the days of kids playing in the park together to have fun gone?

" Technology advances are incredible. We are being tracked regularly off the ship anyways - automobile GPS, traffic cameras, location services on cell phones, internet cookies and browsing history, and the list will go on. "

I've been thinking the same thing. Add CCTV cameras, social media and shopping apps.

Forgive me if this is a very silly question but will the medallion track you when off the ship? Have to admit that I am not excited about this new venture....yet!. The card was simple to use, light weight and easy to tuck out of sight. However, I shall reserve judgement until I have actually had the experience of using a medallion and certainly appreciate all the first hand accounting of this new technology.

Sandy :)

It’s kind of odd they have a sensor in the bathroom. Like someone posted earlier...hmmm you’ve been spending a lot of time in the bathroom. Are you I’ll?

But maybe it has something to do with the lighting system if they eventually tie the lighting system to the Medallion. So if the lights automatically turn on in the room when you’re in the cabin with your Medallion maybe they’ll automatically turn on the bathroom lights when your Medallion is in the bathroom...since there’s a separate switch for the bathroom.

There are new room service menus' date=' I will post pics later, but we haven't noticed much change to the dining menus.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Look forward to seeing them. Thank you for posting the pictures of the accessories for the medallions.

In that case, should your millions of airline miles make me pay more attention to your post - quite the opposite. Why did you feel the need to qualify your opinion with the addition of all your travel experience - seems the same as those who you are maligning.

Let’s stay on point people! This thread is Ocean Medallion! Whine about status somewhere else

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's going to be a feature coming called something like "find my family". If the family member is under 18 they won't be able to hide their location. This could be good if your child/ grandchild/ etc doesn't show up for dinner when they're supposed to. If you're over 18 you'll have the ability to "hide" your location from your family. I'd imagine that Princess will be able to find anyone in an emergency situation but they wouldn't take advantage of the technology.

Kris

Wasn't room service available 24 hours a day? Now it says 20 hours or am I reading it incorrectly?

I loved the Ernesto burger at Salty dog, nice to see it on the room service menu.

Edited by cjskids

When we were on the Regal (2 weeks ago) our key/card got demagnetized and I stopped by Guest Services to get a replacement. They gave me another card that was slightly different (although it looked nearly the same) and told me that this was the new type card and would not get demagnetized. They also mentioned that one is not supposed to punch a hole in the card (like for a lanyard). My impression was that this was the card they would use for those that did not want a *****.

Hank

Oh my lord! I am coming from another cruise line that does not have anything near what those room service menus have. Could make someone just stay in their cabin and eat all cruise! Just joking. [emoji14]

Thank you for posting the menus.

Lol! Sometimes we do! My wife had the tacos last night and wasn't impressed but said the key lime was good.

I believe "tracking" is an over used fear. I have not found any indication that any part of the crew will be sitting at computer screens watching the whereabouts of 3600 passengers as they wander around the ship looking for miscreants. If you walk/drive around any large city in most of the world you are tracked constantly by people who are actually watching screens. The ships simply do not have the crew necessary to do that.

The Medallion is not the first tracker, Disney has had it for years, and RCCL recently came out with their version. So if you don't want to be "tracked" you had better cruise quickly or it will be too late.

RFID “tracking” is THE hottest thing right now in retail and hospitality. That is it’s actual purpose! It’s not for the consumer - of course that is how they market it of course - can’t say it’s to track your every move.

For example, I went to a retail analytics talk and they plan on using it see how people flow through the store, what items they stop at, how long they linger at each. To decide things like: how the store should be layed out, what they should stock more of, how to increase sales in general, targeted ads/emails etc.

Princess can say it’s for “guest experience” but it’s for analytics. And that does not require someone to stare at a screen - they use programs.

Wasn't room service available 24 hours a day? Now it says 20 hours or am I reading it incorrectly?

I loved the Ernesto burger at Salty dog, nice to see it on the room service menu.

I thiught it was 24 hrs too and mentioned that to my wife, she thought maybe it was because of breakfast time, I'll ask around and see what I can find out.