Live from the Regal Princess First Ocean Medallion Cruise November 13 2017

mcg1313

what kind of lock is on the thing to prevent kids from removing it?

I'm going to guess there isn't an option to turn off the location for the under 18 set, so nothing to lock/unlock.

It's likely done on a device. It's just like on a forum. If you aren't an admin, you can't see the administrative options. :)

I never carry my smartphone with me on the ship. I am there to relax - not use the phone, unlike most of the rest of the world.

eclue:cool:

This my phone goes in the safe. My wife carries hers sometimes, same with her mini ipad. definitely not glued to them after the sailaway.

I'm going to guess there isn't an option to turn off the location for the under 18 set, so nothing to lock/unlock.

It's likely done on a device. It's just like on a forum. If you aren't an admin, you can't see the administrative options. :)

stated another way: how can a parent prevent removal of the device by the underage child?

Now this thread is becoming fascinating. So I leave to get specialty coffees for both DW and myself...and take both OMs.....and when I return to the cabin DW is sitting in a dark cabin (no OMs in the cabin = no lights)?

As to SmartPhones, when I am on a ship (which is about 100 days a year) I prefer to turn off my phone and lock it in the cabin safe. The last thing DW and I want to do is carry a phone around on a cruise ship (DW does not even carry a purse....just her Kindle). I don;t even like to carry a phone in ports (we have T-mobile so our phones work just about everywhere in the world for no extra fee). There are still some of us who vacation to get away from it all :). Besides, how long before the cruise lines constantly push ads to everyone's phones. I can see the first text, get your bargain BINGO card for only $50 per card....with a $10million jackpot!

Hank

Now this thread is becoming fascinating. So I leave to get specialty coffees for both DW and myself...and take both OMs.....and when I return to the cabin DW is sitting in a dark cabin (no OMs in the cabin = no lights)?

As to SmartPhones, when I am on a ship (which is about 100 days a year) I prefer to turn off my phone and lock it in the cabin safe. The last thing DW and I want to do is carry a phone around on a cruise ship (DW does not even carry a purse....just her Kindle). I don;t even like to carry a phone in ports (we have T-mobile so our phones work just about everywhere in the world for no extra fee). There are still some of us who vacation to get away from it all :). Besides, how long before the cruise lines constantly push ads to everyone's phones. I can see the first text, get your bargain BINGO card for only $50 per card....with a $10million jackpot!

Hank

Breathe, Hank, Breathe. :) You can opt out. https://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/ocean_medallion.jsp If you prefer to stand in lines to board, order drinks, food, excursions, etc...No one will stop you! You don't need a phone to cruise. You can still cruise the way you want, and I can cruise the way I want. Everyone's happy. :cool:

Hank

OMs are not controlling cabin lights at this time. The light systems and the ***** systems are not connected together. It's a future possibility but way in the future and I'm sure the kind of problems you mention will be worked out.

Another thought, you're taking a shower and your spouse grabs both medalions to get coffee and leaves the cabin. Now the cabin steward thinks the cabin is empty, AND the lights go out, if lights are integrated with the medalion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Make sure you always have a night lite plugged into the bathroom.

Tom🤔

Hank

I guess you never take photos on your cell phone while on a vacation. Some of us take a lot of photos with our phones.

Tom😎

Hi Karen,

I have seen the medallions and they can easily slide into the Princess wallet and stay there for the entire cruise. Because you don't need the card to open your cabin or get on board the ship you can just leave it in the wallet and door will unlock when you get close to it.

I too don't normally carry my card with me, especially in the evening and if I do I usually stick it in my bra :o (don't judge me) so I am guessing the medallion might just get lost in there. :')

Following along in the live thread to see how it rolls out. Quite excited about the entire thing. We will be on for the Royal Roll Out

Just like my Truck, I just keep the keyfob in my pocket and I can unlock, and lock my doors, and start the truck. Isn’t modern tech wonderful.

Just like my Truck, I just keep the keyfob in my pocket and I can unlock, and lock my doors, and start the truck. Isn’t modern tech wonderful.

My car is 6 years old and does not have this. However I have rented cars at airports that do have this feature and I loved it. I put it in my pocket and never had to get it out. Walk up to the car and the doors unlock, get in, push the start button and I was off. Get out, close the door and walk away as the car locks the doors. I am really looking forward to the *****. No more flashing a cruise card for anything. How easy it will be.

As for my android phone, I have been using it for a few years now since Princess started the Princess@sea. I order room service for breakfast, buy FCDs, view the activities on board and monitor my folio all from this one device. I can check when venues are open and see where they are located so no more carrying the Patter around with me. How easier can this be? The ***** will just make it even easier. I was told by a ship officer that the ***** will be installed on all Princess ships by the end of 2019.

Good Morning,

We are still here "LIVE" on the beautiful Regal Princess and would like to thank you all for giving this thread a "life of it"s own".

I would especially like to thank Kris for all the great accurate information she has given us. I had the great pleasure of meeting her and she is as charming in person as she is informative and intelligent. Please keep helping us sort out the "real News" and not what someones opinion or hopes about ***** are.

When I started this thread I had no idea the quality of information and comments that have been and will be posted here.

Again thank you all we will see you all some day on a Princess cruise.

God bless you all.

John McGibbon " The OTHER John"

Another thought, you're taking a shower and your spouse grabs both medalions to get coffee and leaves the cabin. Now the cabin steward thinks the cabin is empty, AND the lights go out, if lights are integrated with the medalion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yep, I guess that would be a problem. "You can't fix stupid."

I guess you never take photos on your cell phone while on a vacation. Some of us take a lot of photos with our phones.

Tom😎

Exactly! Just because you don't use the phone for all those wonderful real life things doesn't mean it's not used for so many other things... like music, reading, photos, messaging friends on the ship, and all the other cool things that RCL seems to be doing... they seem to think, and I totally agree, people WILL have their phones to take advantage of all the neat features... just turn the phone, email, data, and other crap OFF... use the "device" to make your experience on the ship better. Sorry, but spending $24.95 on .20 cent piece of plastic on a lanyard to insert my Medallion is, well, lol, ridiculous. I guess we'll have to wait for all the wonderful Amazon and eBay vendors to create their own for $4.99! ;p

I also turn my phone off when on a ship.

I may use it in port but not on the ship at all!

I don't really want to use all those features of the medallion except the ones we do now with our room key card.

I suppose I do not belong in the modern world at all! The info about the medallion says we can turn off the other features and just set it on "emergency" and that's probably what I'll do.

I also turn my phone off when on a ship.

I may use it in port but not on the ship at all!

I don't really want to use all those features of the medallion except the ones we do now with our room key card.

I suppose I do not belong in the modern world at all! The info about the medallion says we can turn off the other features and just set it on "emergency" and that's probably what I'll do.

[/quote

I'm with you - I use my cruise card - carrying my phone around the ship is a real inconvenience.

eclue