Guarantee Cabins

wlewis5038

Why do they advertise their cabins as guarantee, when they know what cabins are vacant? I plan to spend about $26000 for a cruise, I want to know where I am going to be. The last (and only) guarantee cabin I had was on Deck 3, over the engines. The cabin vibrated terribly, usually at 3 AM.

Why do they advertise their cabins as guarantee, when they know what cabins are vacant? I plan to spend about $26000 for a cruise, I want to know where I am going to be. The last (and only) guarantee cabin I had was on Deck 3, over the engines. The cabin vibrated terribly, usually at 3 AM.

Because they truly do not know which cabins will become vacant until the major travel agencies release their holds on unsold inventory. And yes, you could end up with either a terrible or great cabin - that's the game you are playing when you sign up for a guarantee cabin at a lower price than that of a specific cabin.

Guarantees give the cruise lines the flexibility to move passengers around according to supply and demand.

Exactly! Same reason the airlines allow you to book a ticket without a particular seat, cruiselines are known to oversell their rooms now and again. They can't sell a specific cabin to two different sets of passengers. They count on so many cancellations.

I've booked a Veranda GTY twice and both times got a really nice cabin. A friend booked an inside GTY and ended up in a giant family veranda on the back corner of the ship. My next sailing (in March) I switched to a Veranda GTY from a C2 and saved $1900. I was assigned a cabin on deck 9 right at the front (2B I think). Once you are assigned a cabin in a particular category you can switch within the same category. I called and switched to one farther back and closer to the elevators. So for me it's worked out well each time.

I agree, we never book guarantees. And there is no way I would pay that much money for one. Typically when the bookings first open, ‘pick your cabin’ is the only option, then as final payment gets closer you can pay more to ‘pick your cabin’ or less for a guarantee, and last minute bookings may have guarantee bookings as the only choice. So unless you are booking last minute, ‘pick your cabin’ should be an option, if may just cost more. We usually book a year or more out and pick out cabin without an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are spending $26,000 for a cruise I doubt you would be booking a guarantee. Most guarantees, even for suites, are less than $4,000 on the exciting deals I've seen.

Doesn’t that depend on how long the cruise is, and how many are going on it.

We booked a guarantee sky suite and ended up with a handicapped cabin. We were disappointed as the suite was geared towards a handicapped person. The bathroom had a roll in shower and low sink. The closet was also low. While the cabin was larger, we felt it really wasn't for us. But when you take a guarantee you get what you get.

I've done GTY quite a few times. It was always because it was significantly less $$$ and I was willing to take any cabin in the category. Generally it's been W suite GTY. Yes we have been assigned an accessible suite one time and I was fine with that. Like I said you have to be happy with being assigned any cabin in the category.

Lately I've seen the specific category GTY cabins listed where the cost is not really discounted. I suspect this is because they have availability in higher category cabins and they don't want to discount those prices and are trying to upsell the people in the category they did the GTY on, if no takers they give you the better cabin. At least I'm hoping that's the case as I just upgraded to a S1 GTY where there hasn't been any inventory in months but there are a couple of CS available. I'll be happy with any S1 or CS that is assigned. It's been a week with no assignment and I take no news as good news.

Doesn’t that depend on how long the cruise is, and how many are going on it.

Of course, just like regular pricing, guarantee pricing depends on the length of the cruise and how many cabin are available at the last minute. That's why I said most of the guarantees are less than $4,000. I've certainly never seen a guarantee for $26,000 on Celebrity.

$26000 for a cruise - What ship and cruise itinerary. I cant find any X cruise that costs that amount of money except the Edge

$26000 for some 14 -15 day cruises in a Suite is not unheard of, or maybe it is a family booking more than one cabin.

If you book the penthouse and royal suite it is very possible. In fact a good price.

Really? I've seen many lengthy sailings for RS and PS where the prices are nowhere near that for two people on M and S class ships! Less than half that in many instances.

Really? I've seen many lengthy sailings for RS and PS where the prices are nowhere near that for two people on M and S class ships! Less than half that in many instances.

Try a penthouse on the Celebrity Eclipse for two weeks- in Jan or Feb. 2019. Or try holiday periods. And add insurance which is something many people pay for.

I agree, we never book guarantees. And there is no way I would pay that much money for one. Typically when the bookings first open, ‘pick your cabin’ is the only option, then as final payment gets closer you can pay more to ‘pick your cabin’ or less for a guarantee, and last minute bookings may have guarantee bookings as the only choice. So unless you are booking last minute, ‘pick your cabin’ should be an option, if may just cost more. We usually book a year or more out and pick out cabin without an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We booked a guaranteed suite on Millennium. The cost was just $50 per person more than aqua class and it included OBC and a beverage package. Two days later we were allocated our room number. Arguably the worst S2 on the ship. I noticed however that 6145 (One of the two best sky suites on the ship) was available. We called our TA and asked if we could switch to this cabin. I expected to be told no, however they were helpful and called Celebrity to ask. They agreed.

As a result I wouldn't be against booking a GTY cabin in the right circumstances. I'd certainly do my homework and try and find out which rooms were available first though.

It's also not unheard of for those who book W class cabins (Guaranteed suite) to score an RS. Though this is rare and certainly the exception and not the rule.

We’ve tried guarantees through the years with X and stopped doing it. Usually got a bad cabin which they would or could not change. Honestly I do think they were the worst in their category. Fair enough, we got a lower price.

(I should add that we got great upgrades from booking guarantees with other cruise lines.)

Two times we ended up in outside rooms that were near crew or staff offices and/or quarters. Once, the corridor was always filled with cigarette smoke seeping from their entrance. (Yes, we filled out the form about it, after which our housekeeping frequency greatly declined. At least once, our room was never made up even though we were out all day.) Another time, the crew corridor door (at a right angle to our room door) was flung open and slammed constantly, and our room’s furnishings were stained. The last time, we were in a Sky Suite, reasoning it surely would be fine since it was a Suite category. Wrong! Overlooked mechanical stuff so not a nice view. And a crew closet across the hall was where they lined up rolling carts - very noisy and busy 24/7 with bright light shining under our door in the middle of the night.

Thinking back I realize we really were slow learners! But we did learn. If you want to be sure of a nice room, book very early and get your choice.

When the cabin is assigned. check the location and configuration with the plans. If you do not agree you can call to request a change to the cabin you choose from the same category assigned.

That is if any other cabin is available. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes Celebrity gets lucky.