Should alcohol carry on fit the length of the cruise?

Velvetwater

I was just thinking about how most cruise lines allow 1 standard wine bottle per adult for most cruises regardless of the length.

So a passenger on a 3 day cruise that has paid a lot less and has a lot less time can take the same amount as someone on a 13 day cruise that has paid a lot more and has a lot more drinking time.

So 7 days and under 1 bottle and 7+ days 2 bottles?

Yes I know this makes me sound like an alcoholic but I do like wine and I do like certain types to take on a cruise. :)

I doubt the cruise lines were considering what volume a person may consumer over a given period of time when they offered the option to bring wine on board. That likely was not the point. It was more of a gesture of good will - along with a revenue generator for those that also charge a corkage fee - than anything else. The one bottle per person or two per stateroom - whichever policy is followed - is a way to provide a guideline for this gesture.

My issue is more with the imposition of a corkage fee (which on RCI was originally on, then off, now back on again) which typically outweighs the value of the wine brought on board and is more of a pain then a pleasure with the ability to bring wine on board at all.

Of course it’s not “fair” - there is virtually no aspect of life which cannot be shown to be “unfair” when looked at closely enough.

For example, why should a 115 pound woman have to pay the same fare for a flight as a 325 pound man - when it is clear that the weight carried directly effects a plane’s fuel consumption: a major component of operating cost?

My issue is more with the imposition of a corkage fee (which on RCI was originally on, then off, now back on again) which typically outweighs the value of the wine brought on board and is more of a pain then a pleasure with the ability to bring wine on board at all.

That's frequently true, but not always - it depends what ship and what embarkation port. And whether you prefer the safety of a wine you know & trust.

When we sailed out of Sydney on Princess, the prices in the bottlos (Aussie-speak for offies) were very reasonable, and the shop price plus Princess' A$15 corkage was no higher than Princess' cheapest wines. As we'd had a few days in Aus to sus out the wines we liked, we took a dozen bottles aboard. And - shhhh, don't tell them :D - we had the bonus of putting our two-bottle allowance in our checked bags & Princess only charging corkage on 10 of the 12 bottles in our carry-on.

Where are you boarding, VelvetWater?

JB :)

Boarding in Singapore with P&O Australia so not permitted to take any alcohol on board.

But also have drinks package included so all is good. :)

I know cruise lines won't likely do it but it did have me wondering about it the other day.

I was just thinking about how most cruise lines allow 1 standard wine bottle per adult for most cruises regardless of the length.

So a passenger on a 3 day cruise that has paid a lot less and has a lot less time can take the same amount as someone on a 13 day cruise that has paid a lot more and has a lot more drinking time.

Yes I know this makes me sound like an alcoholic but I do like wine and I do like certain types to take on a cruise. :)

I have found that they have alcohol on the ship for purchase on every cruise I have been on.

Of course it’s not “fair” - there is virtually no aspect of life which cannot be shown to be “unfair” when looked at closely enough.

For example, why should a 115 pound woman have to pay the same fare for a flight as a 325 pound man - when it is clear that the weight carried directly effects a plane’s fuel consumption: a major component of operating cost?

good point.

That's frequently true, but not always - it depends what ship and what embarkation port. And whether you prefer the safety of a wine you know & trust.

When we sailed out of Sydney on Princess, the prices in the bottlos (Aussie-speak for offies) were very reasonable, and the shop price plus Princess' A$15 corkage was no higher than Princess' cheapest wines. As we'd had a few days in Aus to sus out the wines we liked, we took a dozen bottles aboard. And - shhhh, don't tell them :D - we had the bonus of putting our two-bottle allowance in our checked bags & Princess only charging corkage on 10 of the 12 bottles in our carry-on.

Where are you boarding, VelvetWater?

That is a standard with Princess but not with other lines, some of which do not allow anything but a dozen cans of soft drink.

Boarding in Singapore with P&O Australia so not permitted to take any alcohol on board.

I know cruise lines won't likely do it but it did have me wondering about it the other day.

You can bring up to a dozen cans of soft drink on board, so perhaps that can help but as you have a drink's package I wouldn't worry.

As for Singapore, the alcohol is likely to be more expensive on land than on the ship.:eek:

You can bring up to a dozen cans of soft drink on board, so perhaps that can help but as you have a drink's package I wouldn't worry.

As for Singapore, the alcohol is likely to be more expensive on land than on the ship.:eek:

More likely to board with an entire suitcase of unusual food items and craft bits anyway...I really like aspects of Asian culture. :)

More likely to board with an entire suitcase of unusual food items and craft bits anyway...I really like aspects of Asian culture. :)

If you are debarking in Australia or NZ (or anywhere really), just make sure you declare any goods to customs. You wouldn't want to get fined.

Really? Two bottle of wine in 7 days makes you sound like an alcoholic? If this is the sole basis for the self-diagnosis I think you can write alcoholism off and move forward.

Really? Two bottle of wine in 7 days makes you sound like an alcoholic? If this is the sole basis for the self-diagnosis I think you can write alcoholism off and move forward.

LOL, maybe this is in addition to what is purchased on board.:D

It would be so easy for the airlines to charge by weight. They have the scales right there at check-in to weigh your luggage. Just hop on the scale too and presto, your fare is calculated.:D Now, that would be a fun check-in process.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Even if you were permitted to take booze aboard (you can on P&O UK) I doubt that shop-bought in Singapore plus corkage would be cheaper than ship's wines.

P&O UK's bar prices are very reasonable, probably its the same with P&O Aus.

All of which is irrelevant if you have the drinks package.

Just attach an intravenus drip to your arm & get them to keep it topped up. :D

It was a bit of a joke to end the post....that is all.