Johnny Rockets now $9.95 cover charge.

I ... I thought they instituted the $4.95 charge because it was very crowded and the kids would plant themselves there because it was free, and it was difficult to get in. ...

Same story I heard.

I looked at some old Cruise Compass's from the Explorer of the Seas in 2002 and the Navigator in 2003 and JR was free.

I thought they instituted the $4.95 charge because it was very crowded and the kids would plant themselves there because it was free, and it was difficult to get in. My, how times have changed.

mac_tlc

......... and Chops was $20 .........

mac_tlc

So I'm guessing there's no grill or food venue by the pool that does pizza/burgers/hot dogs? (I'll be on the Adventure this year, first time with Royal). My limited cruise experience is mostly with Princess. The ships I have been on with them have had a grill, pizza, and ice cream around the pool area.

On one of our cruises, I remember seeing a metal pan poolside with hamburgers halfway submerged in some liquid inside of it.

I looked at some old Cruise Compass's from the Explorer of the Seas in 2002 and the Navigator in 2003 and JR was free.

I thought they instituted the $4.95 charge because it was very crowded and the kids would plant themselves there because it was free, and it was difficult to get in. My, how times have changed.

mac_tlc

That and the fact that people would order scads of food and leave most of it.

You probably need to give them 24 hours notice for any special request in the MDR, even for grilled cheese. They are usually willing to fulfill requests but they really struggle if you spring anything off-menu on them without notice. I did it once and they delivered what I requested but I think my waiter lost years off his life and I felt bad afterwards.

Grilled cheese is on the kids menu...

That and the fact that people would order scads of food and leave most of it.

it wasn't any good when it was free, nor when they are charged 4.95 and I am going take a wild guess its not going to be any better now that the charge $9.95.

Really? I thought it was complimentary when it first was introduced.

Was on Sovereign, Majesty, Grandeur, Enchantment, Vision, Voyager and Explorer when they were brand new. I'm one of those that saved all my cruise papers, including charge slips from all my cruises. Just checked and there was a cover charge on Johnny Rockets when Voyager first came out. Fee was canceled after couple months...

Has this new $9.95 price for JR been confirmed for any ships other than Oasis at this point?

I checked the Royal app for Oasis and it does indeed say $9.95 -- but when I switch to Allure's Jan 28th sail date in the app, it still says $6.95 for JR (+18% gratuity).

I wouldn’t pay $10 for JR’s on land so not on a ship where lunch is included in the cost of the cruise. I understand Guy’s is far superior and free on Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This will be our first time on RC. We have sailed 7 Times on Carnival and Guys burger are amazing! My husband usually will have a couple through out the cruise. That is the first place we go when we get onboard. But we are looking forward to sailing on the Oasis. There is a lot to see & do on this ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

mac_tlc

Same story I heard.

I guess it takes more money to keep the kids out these days.....:rolleyes:

Has this new $9.95 price for JR been confirmed for any ships other than Oasis at this point?

I checked the Royal app for Oasis and it does indeed say $9.95 -- but when I switch to Allure's Jan 28th sail date in the app, it still says $6.95 for JR (+18% gratuity).

No idea, but not uncommon for RCCL to test a price increase or product change on one ship to collect data before rolling it out on others.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Forums mobile app

No idea, but not uncommon for RCCL to test a price increase or product change on one ship to collect data before rolling it out on others.

That's exactly what I'm wondering (and was seeking confirmation on), just as Oasis has had new MDR menus for a while now. This week we've had a report of new MDR menus on Freedom as well, but no other ships yet as far as I've read on CC.

That's the price listed on the RCI app.

Do they still do free made to order breakfast on the Oasis class ships? I love eating there before going to advanced stand-up first thing in the morning. I have eaten at JRs on land one time in my life back in the 90s in Miami. I have never eaten lunch or had a milkshake on the ship even one time. I do like breakfast though.

JC

Sent from my LG-H873 using Forums mobile app

That was exactly how the J.R. charge came about in the first place. Navigator and Mariner were used as test ships while there remained no charge on Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure. During that time there was a C&A coupon good for one no charge visit. I guess that was RCI's way of keeping past cruisers from making too much of a fuss about the new charge. Eventually the charge moved to all ships, the coupon disappeared, and the charge has been steadily increasing ever since.

Just a note, last year Celebrity took out the Mast Grill by the pool on many of their ships and put in a fancier burger bar that was a fee charged. Between the uproar from people here and the lack of business there the change lasted just a few months and the Mast Grill came back with free burgers, hot dogs etc.

Do they still do free made to order breakfast on the Oasis class ships?

I believe so but for me the lack of crowds and good enough selections means I have breakfast at the Wipeout cafe looking at the sports staff getting the Flowriders ready in the morning.

I believe so but for me the lack of crowds and good enough selections means I have breakfast at the Wipeout cafe looking at the sports staff getting the Flowriders ready in the morning.

I like the food better at JRs for breakfast. Although, if I am in a hurry, then Wipeout it is. Will there be a Wipeout Cafe on the Symphony?

JC

I like the food better at JRs for breakfast. Although, if I am in a hurry, then Wipeout it is. Will there be a Wipeout Cafe on the Symphony?

JC

If in a hurry you can always get your breakfast to go and eat in line for advanced.:D