Prescription meds

jeeperzz

How strict are they on traveling with meds in original bottles? I have all my pills in an organizer and labeled. No pain killers or anything like that. Just allergy and cholesterol and epilepsy meds. Didnt want to bring the massive 90 day bottles I get from doc.

thanks

They've never looked at our meds. It might be a concern for TSA though (although come to think of it they haven't looked either). In any event your pharmacist should be able to give you some smaller bottles with the RX on them to use for traveling.

We always bring our original bottles. Think of it this way. On these discussion boards, people tell you "Buy insurance" just in case. They tell you "fly the night before just in case!". They tell you "Get a passport!" So all these items people tell you to do, just in case but an actual item that is either recommended or required by the countries you are visiting, people say, don't bother, just put it in a pill case.

So if you are driving, than why not bring it? I carry 14 different bottles. It does not take up much room. If you are flying, put it in your carryon bag. If the bottles are too big, get labels printed at pharmacy for small bottles. Bring a two week supply, just in case on your trip. Just like insurance, flying night before, passports, you should bring the bottles just in case.

I don’t believe the cruise line cares in the least about prescription meds. If anyone cares it will be TSA (if you are flying) and customs. If you have controlled substances (pain killers are an example) you really should keep them in their original bottle. Controlled substances are illegal to possess without a prescription and the bottle is the easiest way to prove you have a prescription. Other prescription and OTC meds are fine without bottle - unless someone somewhere along the line wants to make an issue out of it and needs to identify your meds. I always carry meds in the containers to keep it simple but I know many don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless you are flying into countries such as United Arab Emirates, Singapore or Japan, and you are taking codeine or opiates into those countries no problems. Never had any issues boarding a ship and there’s been a few of them, not as many as Keith though.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Completely agree! There are only a few countries where flying in with pain killers or other banned pills might be a problem. The majority of people on this board will be going to Mexico and the Caribbean. If you fly into Europe they also don't check your meds when you arrive. TSA here in the USA don't check meds either unless they are liquids and then they should be in the original bottle.

All the other suggestions of why you need original bottles is not borne out be experience!

I take supplements in a pill case, but my prescription meds go in a small prescription bottle. Your pharmacy can print a label and give you a smaller bottle. I always take double the needed supply. The reasoning for this is that if something were to happen where our return was delayed, I would not want to be without my necessary meds. I don't worry about supplements as it doesn't really affect my health if I were to miss them for a week. Prescriptions are another story.

If your seizure meds are controlled, you probably should take a labeled prescription bottle. I've never been questioned about any meds/supplements in my bag, but I feel it's better to be safe than sorry.

Completely agree! There are only a few countries where flying in with pain killers or other banned pills might be a problem. The majority of people on this board will be going to Mexico and the Caribbean. If you fly into Europe they also don't check your meds when you arrive. TSA here in the USA don't check meds either unless they are liquids and then they should be in the original bottle.

All the other suggestions of why you need original bottles is not borne out be experience!

No; it’s born out of law. It is simply illegal to be in possession of a controlled substance without a prescription. Yes, it’s unlikely anyone will realize you have a controlled substance and challenge if you have it legally. But it’s so simple to carry that medication on a prescription bottle to prove it’s legal. In this day and age of the opioid crisis; you don’t want to be in possession of one without proof it’s yours.

I take 4 pills daily and just take them in my daily pill organizer, not in a bottle and not labeled and no one has ever said anything.

DH takes a number of pills daily and travels with a daily organizer as well. We carry a list from the pharmacy should he ever be questioned which we have not on any of our 14 cruises.

No; it’s born out of law. It is simply illegal to be in possession of a controlled substance without a prescription. Yes, it’s unlikely anyone will realize you have a controlled substance and challenge if you have it legally. But it’s so simple to carry that medication on a prescription bottle to prove it’s legal. In this day and age of the opioid crisis; you don’t want to be in possession of one without proof it’s yours.

Exactly. Why risk ruining your vacation over something preventable??

if you take a med off the ship in a country other than the one you reside in, keep in mind it may be banned or classified differently than your home country. For example, benedryl is banned in certain countries - bet no one thought of that - and ignoring this has a more severe penalty than the authorities “throwing it away” and you move on.

I wouldn’t take any med into any country without checking their laws and I would keep anything allowed in original packaging. What are the chances of an official in a country that requires original packaging going through your “list” of meds in an organizer and matching them up - zero.

I am with those that say - why not respect the law of the country you are visiting.

If you are the one that gets busted - just tell the authorities you asked on CC and they said don’t worry about it.

I always carry mine in the labeled containers from the pharmacy, DW takes hers in pill case organizer. I have never been questioned on anything medical except for once. The TSA agent was also a type 1 diabetic and asked me how I liked my glucose meter as he was looking to get a new one. This was when I was flying on a one way ticket as I was flying to meet someone and was going to drive home with them. I bought a last minute one way ticket and got flagged as a *SSS* and had to get hand checked at the TSA check in and at the gate.

I wonder how much traveling some of you have experienced??

Of course you shouldn't bring meds into a country where it is banned but you will be on a cruise ship and no one boards the ship to check your luggage or meds that are on board.

Now if you need the meds on shore that may be a different scenario but on the ship there is no problem at all.

Obviously if you are flying into a foreign country you need to check those laws.

USA TSA does not check your meds unless you are carrying tons and tons that look like you might be selling them and not just have them for your personal use.

Let's be specific here. IF you are going to Japan then you need to watch what your are bringing. IF you are going to Mexico or the Caribbean you do not. That's it!