Mosquitos - December Cruise

lmb1988

Hi all,

So mozzies seem to be more attracted to me than others! [emoji849] And we are on a 14 night Southern Caribbean in December, Barbados, St Lucia, Aruba etc

I’ve been reading up, and planning to take vit B supplements/garlic tabs from a few weeks before leaving. Have also previously been told to buy repellant in the specific place we are travelling to, rather than bringing it with me.

Are there any other helpful hints and tips to help me avoid looking like a red, swollen splodge for the 2 weeks?! [emoji1317]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A lot depends on what you plan to be doing. If you do mostly beach or town, then mosquitos are not really a big problem - actually probably no problem. If you plan to do some hiking or visiting botanic gardens or the like, that's a different story. I personally would bring with me what I need - a spray with a high percentage of Deet. It is too darn expensive to buy stuff in port if you don't need to. The ABC islands are more of a dry climate so mosquitos are not an issue that I know of. St. Lucia and Barbados are more lush so maybe more of an issue if you are near the foliage areas. I have traveled to all of these areas many times and never got a single bite (and the little buggers do like me a lot), but I usually do not do hiking or things like that in the forests or other foliage.

Why on earth would you be told not to buy insect repellant at home? That only makes sense if you're doing carry on luggage only. The insect repellant should contain DEET. Deep Woods OFF is one brand that's recommended. And apply it before you leave the ship!

There are mosquitoes that are active in daytime, and other mosquitoes that are active at night. If you will be in an area likely to have a lot of these critters, like in the mangroves in Bonaire, or in inland forested areas, consider wearing long sleeves and pants.

You won't have to worry about them at sea. I've rarely gotten bitten by mosquitoes on a beach - it's usually too breezy. Sand fleas, however are a different matter.

A lot depends on what you plan to be doing. If you do mostly beach or town, then mosquitos are not really a big problem - actually probably no problem. If you plan to do some hiking or visiting botanic gardens or the like, that's a different story. I personally would bring with me what I need - a spray with a high percentage of Deet. It is too darn expensive to buy stuff in port if you don't need to. The ABC islands are more of a dry climate so mosquitos are not an issue that I know of. St. Lucia and Barbados are more lush so maybe more of an issue if you are near the foliage areas. I have traveled to all of these areas many times and never got a single bite (and the little buggers do like me a lot), but I usually do not do hiking or things like that in the forests or other foliage.

At least 5 days of cruises are at the ABC islands, so guessing I should be OK there! The other ports, we aren’t likely to venture far from the coast, we haven’t planned all our excursions yet but it’s good to have an idea what to look out for/avoid!

Why on earth would you be told not to buy insect repellant at home? That only makes sense if you're doing carry on luggage only. The insect repellant should contain DEET. Deep Woods OFF is one brand that's recommended. And apply it before you leave the ship!

There are mosquitoes that are active in daytime, and other mosquitoes that are active at night. If you will be in an area likely to have a lot of these critters, like in the mangroves in Bonaire, or in inland forested areas, consider wearing long sleeves and pants.

You won't have to worry about them at sea. I've rarely gotten bitten by mosquitoes on a beach - it's usually too breezy. Sand fleas, however are a different matter.

So what I have been told, is that you should buy it in the country you are visiting because it is more effective. Now, whether that is true or not, I don’t know, but we visited Egypt from the UK a few years ago and the stuff I brought in Egypt was far more effective than the spray I brought with me from the UK!

Hi all,

So mozzies seem to be more attracted to me than others! [emoji849] And we are on a 14 night Southern Caribbean in December, Barbados, St Lucia, Aruba etc

I’ve been reading up, and planning to take vit B supplements/garlic tabs from a few weeks before leaving. Have also previously been told to buy repellant in the specific place we are travelling to, rather than bringing it with me.

Are there any other helpful hints and tips to help me avoid looking like a red, swollen splodge for the 2 weeks?! [emoji1317]

You'll probably receive many different post saying this or that repellant is the best, but this report provides really good objective information: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/insect-repellent.htm

If you can buy one of the higher rated repellants in the UK, I'd buy it there. If not, get it in the US before embarkation. Don't wait until you are aboard.

There's tons of tips on the internet, such as wearing light coloured clothes, long sleeves, long pants etc., should you not get enough helpful information here.

I've done the 14-day Southern Caribbean cruise several times on Celebrity and have visited all of the islands multiple times on other cruises. We've never had any problem with mosquitos, and while we take it with us on every shore excursion, we've never applied any. You are wise to take precautions, but don't let it become a distraction.

So what I have been told, is that you should buy it in the country you are visiting because it is more effective. Now, whether that is true or not, I don’t know, but we visited Egypt from the UK a few years ago and the stuff I brought in Egypt was far more effective than the spray I brought with me from the UK!

The most effective spray you can buy, regardless of where, is one with a higher percentage of DEET. There are no other special, secret ingredients that work better. Not sure if you can buy that in the UK or not. If you can, go ahead but don't go crazy worrying about it. Unless you hike a lot odds are small you'll be bit

You'll probably receive many different post saying this or that repellant is the best, but this report provides really good objective information: https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/insect-repellent.htm

If you can buy one of the higher rated repellants in the UK, I'd buy it there. If not, get it in the US before embarkation. Don't wait until you are aboard.

There's tons of tips on the internet, such as wearing light coloured clothes, long sleeves, long pants etc., should you not get enough helpful information here.

I've done the 14-day Southern Caribbean cruise several times on Celebrity and have visited all of the islands multiple times on other cruises. We've never had any problem with mosquitos, and while we take it with us on every shore excursion, we've never applied any. You are wise to take precautions, but don't let it become a distraction.

Thank you very much for this! I’m not concerned about Zika or anything, if that’s even still a concern, I just don’t want to end up itchy and blotchy for the trip. That probably makes me sound totally selfish, but it’s a big, almost trip of a lifetime for us, so I really don’t want to get a case of the bug bites!

Hi all,

I’ve been reading up, and planning to take vit B supplements/garlic tabs from a few weeks before leaving.

Are you afraid of the mosquitos or the vampires.:tropical-drink: - full of blood.:evilsmile:

Keep taking the garlic tabs and you'll get a table for two in the MDR every night.

Are you afraid of the mosquitos or the vampires.:tropical-drink: - full of blood.:evilsmile:

Keep taking the garlic tabs and you'll get a table for two in the MDR every night.

[emoji23]🤣 love this!

I'm just back from 11 days in the southern Caribbean, which included Barbados, Grenada, St.Lucia and four nights in Puerto Rico. Not a single mosquito to be seen or heard.

BTW, a few bee stings, spider bites and mosquito probes etc.. can be beneficial to your immune system!

Trying to find a way to diplomatically responding to the post. Part of me wants to say, if you are going to worry about lots of things...just stay home. But we know that is not a reasonable answer. DW and I are very seasoned travelers/cruisers and 6-7 months a year finds us in travel/cruise mode. We live in Puerto Vallarta in the winter (for the past 12 years) and Mexico is considered a Zika (and Dengue) risk. We have been in PV for the past few weeks and I am usually out around 6AM (when its still pitch black) getting in my long daily walk. In 3 weeks I have not received a single mosquito bite...despite being out at dawn and dusk (the worst times for Mosquito bites). Do I worry about Zika, Dengue, etc? Not really. There are just too many things that one can let fill their mind including mosquitos, parasites, food related illness, drug cartels, terrorists, meteors hitting you on the head, earthquakes, pestilence, sorrow, etc.

If one chooses to live their life in perpetual fear of all the bad things that can happen they are truly in a prison of their own making. Yes, we do try to minimize risk and use some common sense, but the truth is that DW and I spend less than 5 seconds a day worrying about what can happen! On the other hand, when our DD thought she was pregnant and was planning to fly down to visit us.....we were very happy that she quickly changed her plans and canceled Coming here or to the Caribbean if you might be pregnant (or even trying to be pregnant) is just not worth the risk. On the other hand, if I get Zika I will likely not even have symptoms and its no biggie. If I get Dengue I will be sick...but will likely recover..just like if I get the flu. A few years ago when we were happily dining out every night in Puerto Vallarta, there was a food poisoning problem in the USA at many Taco Bells. Go figure. In 12 winters living in Mexico DW and I have each been sick 1 time (probably food poisoning) and we are sure it was caused by Sea Bass imported from Chile.. If we had stuck to good ole Mexican seafood (here it would be Red Snapper or Mahi Mahi) we likely would not have suffered a very short-term GI illness. Go figure. Truth is that there seem to be more Noro problems on cruise ships then food related problems we see here in Puerto Vallarta. But yet we see cruisers here many days who are carrying their trusty water bottle and are afraid to try some of our wonderful local cuisine (Tripadvisor rates more than 800 restaurants in Puerto Vallarta).

There is risk to any trip outside of your front door. If you are addicted to travel (like DW and me) you apply some common sense to the risk and plan accordingly. On the other hand if you choose to obsess on the risk...then please stay home.

Hank.

Edited by Hlitner

Trying to find a way to diplomatically responding to the post. Part of me wants to say, if you are going to worry about lots of things...just stay home. But we know that is not a reasonable answer. DW and I are very seasoned travelers/cruisers and 6-7 months a year finds us in travel/cruise mode. We live in Puerto Vallarta in the winter (for the past 12 years) and Mexico is considered a Zika (and Dengue) risk. We have been in PV for the past few weeks and I am usually out around 6AM (when its still pitch black) getting in my long daily walk. In 3 weeks I have not received a single mosquito bite...despite being out at dawn and dusk (the worst times for Mosquito bites). Do I worry about Zika, Dengue, etc? Not really. There are just too many things that one can let fill their mind including mosquitos, parasites, food related illness, drug cartels, terrorists, meteors hitting you on the head, earthquakes, pestilence, sorrow, etc.

If one chooses to live their life in perpetual fear of all the bad things that can happen they are truly in a prison of their own making. Yes, we do try to minimize risk and use some common sense, but the truth is that DW and I spend less than 5 seconds a day worrying about what can happen! On the other hand, when our DD thought she was pregnant and was planning to fly down to visit us.....we were very happy that she quickly changed her plans and canceled Coming here or to the Caribbean if you might be pregnant (or even trying to be pregnant) is just not worth the risk. On the other hand, if I get Zika I will likely not even have symptoms and its no biggie. If I get Dengue I will be sick...but will likely recover..just like if I get the flu. A few years ago when we were happily dining out every night in Puerto Vallarta, there was a food poisoning problem in the USA at many Taco Bells. Go figure. In 12 winters living in Mexico DW and I have each been sick 1 time (probably food poisoning) and we are sure it was caused by Sea Bass imported from Chile.. If we had stuck to good ole Mexican seafood (here it would be Red Snapper or Mahi Mahi) we likely would not have suffered a very short-term GI illness. Go figure. Truth is that there seem to be more Noro problems on cruise ships then food related problems we see here in Puerto Vallarta. But yet we see cruisers here many days who are carrying their trusty water bottle and are afraid to try some of our wonderful local cuisine (Tripadvisor rates more than 800 restaurants in Puerto Vallarta).

There is risk to any trip outside of your front door. If you are addicted to travel (like DW and me) you apply some common sense to the risk and plan accordingly. On the other hand if you choose to obsess on the risk...then please stay home.

Hank.

Thank you Hank. Not sure if you saw my previous comments to other posters, but I’m not concerned about health risks any bites may, or may not cause. I do however know that mozzies are overly drawn to me and that any bites I get normally end up pretty nasty and are uncomfortable which is why I am trying to be prepared as this is a big trip for us.

I am a massive lover of travel and having never travelled to any of the places on the cruise itinerary before was keen to know what to expect in some of the ports which has been answered.

I do however know that mozzies are overly drawn to me and that any bites I get normally end up pretty nasty and are uncomfortable which is why I am trying to be prepared as this is a big trip for us.

I am a massive lover of travel and having never travelled to any of the places on the cruise itinerary before was keen to know what to expect in some of the ports which has been answered.

I am fellow Brit who also seems to be tasty to mozzies and other bugs! I now just automatically use my Deet spray when we get off the ship.....My philosophy tends to be if there is just one biting bug in a port it will smell me out so I will make myself as untasty as possible.

On our early visits to the Caribbean I used to ‘research’ the likelihood of being bitten in some ports and consequently sometimes did not spray myself. This was on occasion to my cost...Areas were deemed safe but something bit me! It didn’t make any difference to me if it was a mozzie, sandfly or something else I still was bitten!

We buy in the UK, as others have said, look at the deet percentage...You can also get smaller ‘travel size’ sprays ideal if you are on a long tour and want to ‘top up’ protection.

The only place my deet has let me down was in Cosumel at a very green AI resort. Local advice was to get a glass of the all inclusive cheap brandy from the bar and splash it over my arms and legs just before dark every evening. It did seem to repel the mozzies a bit but it was fairly repellent to my husband too!

For the sake of a couple of sprays (which may not be necessary but I am not covering myself with chemicals the rest of the year) I feel protected against returning to the ship covered in lumps and bumps!

We are back in the Caribbean in March, can’t wait! Deet spray ready!

Perhaps there is something in our English DNA that makes us super tasty.....

My philosophy tends to be if there is just one biting bug in a port it will smell me out so I will make myself as untasty as possible.

So glad I’m not alone, this is so me as well! DH hardly ever gets bitten and I feel like I’m wearing a sign saying bite me!! I have a good look around before we go and go with some repellent then might another in Florida before we go. My in laws live in Florida and they get this most amazing stuff and I never get any bites with it on!

So glad I’m not alone, this is so me as well! DH hardly ever gets bitten and I feel like I’m wearing a sign saying bite me!! I have a good look around before we go and go with some repellent then might another in Florida before we go. My in laws live in Florida and they get this most amazing stuff and I never get any bites with it on!

No, my DH and DS never get bitten either...perhaps it is the Corvoissier from the evening before sloshing around in their system that puts the mozzies off!

No, my DH and DS never get bitten either...perhaps it is the Corvoissier from the evening before sloshing around in their system that puts the mozzies off!

I’ll have to try that!! [emoji16]

Have a fab time in March!

Hi all,

Indeed “deet” is the magic ingredient for the squitto cure but it is not the best smelling or feeling product. Have you tried “Skin so Soft” lotion? It smells nice and keeps the squitters but not your honey away. Works wonders in the Everglades during summer months.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were at the beach in North Carolina and the wind direction brought flies to the beach and they had a rather nasty bite. Went to the local pharmacy and found spray for flies.

The directions advised us to first put on tan lotion and then apply the repellent. It worked like a charm, the repellent was not "hidden" by the tan lotions.

Don't worry so much. In 25 years of cruising including a number of sailings to ABC islands and even an overnight in Aruba have NEVER suffered a mosquito bite.

That's because I was probably on your cruise. If there are 1,000,000 people and 1 mosquito, I will get bitten 5 times.:eek:

Indeed “deet” is the magic ingredient for the squitto cure but it is not the best smelling or feeling product. Have you tried “Skin so Soft” lotion? It smells nice and keeps the squitters but not your honey away. Works wonders in the Everglades during summer months.

If you look at recent studies, there are insect repellents readily available that contain 20% Picaridin available through amazon and probably at your local store these days. It has none of the smell/stain issues of Deet and works just as well.

For the record, skin so soft is near the bottom of most mosquito repellent comparisons....and a final comment...more is not better when using DEET....30% is about the max you really want.

For a comparison of some different approaches:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents.html

If you look at recent studies, there are insect repellents readily available that contain 20% Picaridin available through amazon and probably at your local store these days. It has none of the smell/stain issues of Deet and works just as well.

For the record, skin so soft is near the bottom of most mosquito repellent comparisons....and a final comment...more is not better when using DEET....30% is about the max you really want.

For a comparison of some different approaches:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/insect-repellents.html

No surprise there about SSS since it is not even sold as a squitto repellent. It just works well enough to be a compromise between smelling like a chemical factory and getting bitten.