Unfair Drink Policy

Popcorn70

We have 3 adults in our room. Because 1 person wants to buy the deluxe beverage package that includes alcohol every one in the room has to either buy that package or a deluxe package without alcohol. The cost is prohibitive. I don't drink alcohol, coffee, tea etc but am forced to buy an expensive package that I will not use. I understand some people, in the past have cheated, and that is why they have the policy. But why should I be punished for the behavior of others. They should find another way to enforce their alcohol consumption policy and not force me to spend hundreds of dollars. Note: this was not in place when I booked the cruise.

We have two adults in my cabin. I can't drink except for the occasional one glass of wine (or margarita) but my daughter is sharing the cabin with me and purchased the Deluxe package. I only purchased the soda and internet. All we did was call RC and they accommodated it without any problem. In fact, I think you can eve do it on-line. We just gave them a call by phone while we were on our way to lunch and got it taken care of.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Sadly, we are often punished for the bad behavior of others in many aspects of life. This rule is not uncommon in the cruise industry. Perhaps you could convince that one person to not get the package?

We have 3 adults in our room. Because 1 person wants to buy the deluxe beverage package that includes alcohol every one in the room has to either buy that package or a deluxe package without alcohol. The cost is prohibitive. I don't drink alcohol, coffee, tea etc but am forced to buy an expensive package that I will not use. I understand some people, in the past have cheated, and that is why they have the policy. But why should I be punished for the behavior of others. They should find another way to enforce their alcohol consumption policy and not force me to spend hundreds of dollars. Note: this was not in place when I booked the cruise.

Not all cruise lines have that requirement, perhaps look around at other options.

Curious when you booked your cruise?

You aren’t being punished, your friend can just pay as they go and drink themselves silly if that’s what they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Best option IMO is not to buy a drinks package. It's just as a easy to pay for drinks individually and you can do the maths to see if that works out cheaper for the group.

I find words like forced, punished etc. that have been used on this thread and on others uncomfortable. Purchase of drinks package is a matter of choice and the deal is that everyone in the same cabin must buy one. I find it difficult to understand why some find that alarming.

One way of looking at it is if you outright refuse to purchase a drinks package - and let me make this clear, there is NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT - but the other really does want one, they should cover the total cost of the package. If they pay for it, there is nothing that says you have to use it.

They'll soon work out it's cheaper to purchase as they go rather than stumping up the costs for two packages.

They are not forcing you. You either chose to buy it or you chose not to. Very simple.

Why is Popcorn interesting ?

Because stubborn people get to arguing on the boards about controversial topics that have already been argued to death by previous warring factions and people talk about settling in with popcorn to enjoy watching the argument unfold.

It's a way of saying your argument is a waste of time but I find it entertaining to laugh at your attempt at making a point and defending it against all challenges.

I thought I'd read from other posts that if you wait until you are onboard, you might be able to purchase the package individually, without everyone in the cabin being required.

Has anyone confirmed this?

I cannot recall anyone reporting this recently.

Don't forget about the possibility of the 10-drink card.:rolleyes: Have the drinker in your room pay as he/she goes for the first couple of days and then purchase the 10-drink card (if it is offered and it usually is I think).;p

Or, as others suggested, see if he/she can buy just one deluxe package after boarding.:*

Oh, and welcome to Cruise Critic!!

Edited by SilkySal
add