why no water on NCL beverage package?

travelingla

Could someone stop the turntable? I think we have a broken record.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No that is not going to happen until the flogged dead horse well you get the idea.

Nobody stops the music here at CC.

I was left in tatters hanging from a yard arm while my ship sailed on when I last tried it !

On another note - NCL considers this as "Water over the Dam" - I am not saying what

dam or if it is damn if you do and damn if you don't - but dam it get over it ! Oops did I just say that ?

NCL continues to weather the storm here on charging for bottled Water !

well I guess you don't plan on sailing NCL anytime soon. Call it what you want, I have cruised all lines and have been cruising for over 30 years, each line has its own way of profiting. The water thing regardless of the reason is one of the silliest gripes I have ever seen. All one has to do is buy one bottle or bring an empty bottle on and refill it. If anyone really thinks bottled water is any different from standard tap water they are probably being fooled.

Actually I have 2 bookings this year with NCL. my biggest thing is that they keep the increasing the percentage for gratuities. Now currently at 20% still affordable but until when? whats next 30%?

Next year I was planning on booking at back to back to back on NCL Epic but after seeing how those service charges add an additional almost $1,300 to our booking for just service charges, I'm shopping around... I have options and thats definitely what im considering. Well see.

How much was the Quench package? NCL's 12-pack of 1 liter Aquafina water is $27.95 plus 20% gratuity or $33.54

That's the more reasonable price they lowered the packages to; we see the same bottles for $1.99 per bottle in our markets here and $7 to $12 in hotels.

wished they still let us bring our own water.

1 liter = 2 pints

so 12 1liter = 24 pints

24 pack (pint) water = $3 at walmart

Yes, this is disappointing to us. We did just book a NCL cruise to try it out, but we are so used to Celebrity , which includes bottled water and specialty coffees, etc. that I'm a bit afraid I'll be disappointed. While some may prefer Tap water, I do not. I do not drink it at home, so why should I on vacation? Just a preference. I do see that NCL offers some sort of bottled water package so will check into that and maybe use our on board credit......I do think that NCL is just a money grab on this issue, but that's me.

I agree. I have sailed NCL but know that they only serve Pepsi products and their specialty coffee isn’t in any beverage package. I did drink the tap water (brought flavoring), didn’t drink Pepsi and only had one coffee a day. I do love the refreshment/replenish beverage packages on Celebrity and Royal.

I will sail NCL again, but I know what I need to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On other lines we've had the beverage package and it included bottled water and sparkling water. I am curious what the thinking MIGHT be as to why water is not included on the NCL beverage package? :o

With apologies to Willie Sutton... so that they can charge people money for it?

Yes, this is disappointing to us. We did just book a NCL cruise to try it out, but we are so used to Celebrity , which includes bottled water and specialty coffees, etc. that I'm a bit afraid I'll be disappointed. While some may prefer Tap water, I do not. I do not drink it at home, so why should I on vacation? Just a preference. I do see that NCL offers some sort of bottled water package so will check into that and maybe use our on board credit......I do think that NCL is just a money grab on this issue, but that's me.

I agree with you 100%...I will miss my water!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem is define some, if they allowed a 6 pack people would complain they want to bring a case. Plus why should NCL bear the cost of disposing of plastic bottles that they didn't bring on board.

You could easily limit it to a 6 pack at each stop.

Plus why should NCL bear the cost of disposing of plastic bottles that they didn't bring on board.

This is a ridiculous statement. When people go away to a hotel, many people bring their own drinks. Then the hotel disposes of the empty bottles. Pretty simple concept.

...All one has to do is buy one bottle or bring an empty bottle on and refill it. If anyone really thinks bottled water is any different from standard tap water they are probably being fooled...

Always with the comment that what someone else likes doesn't matter.

I guarantee you that if I gave you a glass of my tap water and one from Poland Spring you would taste a difference

Bring your own bottle and bottle the tap water like Niagara does.

They only charge 20% if you CHOOSE TO BUY the package. It is optional. If you do not like the price do not buy it. VERY simple concept.

The bottled water package that NCL offers also charges a 20% gratuity, why? no one is making any drinks so why is there gratuity being charged on a water bottle, something that is clearly not made by a server! Thats Nickel and Dime. RIDICULOUS

Edited by Georgie562

This is a ridiculous statement. When people go away to a hotel, many people bring their own drinks. Then the hotel disposes of the empty bottles. Pretty simple concept.

While I don’t know the details of what all happens behind the scenes onboard - I think it’s a fair statement to say that waste disposal on a ship that is a self contained unit for days at a time is a bit more complicated than waste disposal in a hotel that has a huge dumpster behind it with regular scheduled pick ups.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you do not the price someone is selling something for simply do not buy that item! Your argument is akin to a child 'threatening' to hold his breath until he gets his way.

BTW the SERVER does not make your drink. He merely SERVES it to you. Drink tap water, problem solved! :rolleyes:

Bartender, Server whatever call it what you want. It' is STILL NICKEL and DIME. Again no need to charge gratuities on a bottled water package when there is no bartender /server involved. NCL keeps the $$$ on that...NICKEL AND DIME

Heck Im surprised they haven't started charging 20% for the vending machine products onboard the Arcade.

Boy you NCL cheerleaders are worse than the Carnival ones. And stop telling me " If you don't like, don't buy" :):D

Edited by Georgie562

Bartender, Server whatever call it what you want. It' is STILL NICKEL and DIME. Again no need to charge gratuities on a bottled water package when there is no bartender /server involved. NCL keeps the $$$ on that...NICKEL AND DIME

Heck Im surprised they haven't started charging 20% for the vending machine products onboard the Arcade.

Boy you NCL cheerleaders are worse than the Carnival ones. And stop telling me " If you don't like, don't buy" :):D

I don’t agree with mandatory tipping but somebody is serving you the water.

Either someone is lugging a case of water to your room or the server is going somewhere to grab you a single bottle of water. Not much different than serving a bottle of beer.

I drink Iced tea and water. When I am home I only drink bottle water but I drink it at room temp. I also don't drink alcohol or soda..That being said, The water they serve in the restaurants is fine. I order the bottle water package to keep in the room(my family goes through a ton of water) and when we are out around the ship I get water from the bar.. Also, the water bottles in the package are the bigger bottles. Where I live they are more than $1.99 a bottle.. Here, the smaller 16oz bottles are about $1.99

Who needs water when you have the UBP. Only use it for shower, washing your teeth and hands. Being forced to drink beer, wine and cocktails for a week is tough, but I will manage somehow.

There is filtered water available at every bar and the buffet at all times, bring a bottle and fill it up, it takes less time than complaining about it.

Yes it would be nice and convenient to have bottled water in your cabin but tap water is just as good.

Now why the Lavaza coffee Is not available in the UBP I can never figure out. Simple way around it , I always order an Irish coffee and tell them to use Baileys instead of whiskey, all of a sudden the better coffee is now covered by the UBP and it tastes even better with a bit of Baileys in it.

You do realize that a VAST majority of bottled water is merely bottled tap water right? EVIAN = NAIVE...

Does Evian get their water from tap? Cuz I like their water. Fiji just tastes like tap to me so not "worth" the premium.

Aquafina is tap. They don't really hide that fact. And I can't stand the tap they get it from apparently, because Aquafina tastes awful to me. Worse than any tap water I've ever tried other than a couple of sketchy restaurants. A lot of NorCal tap water tastes better than SoCal tap water due to where the water is sourced from.

I don't drink tap at home. Have filtered water. I buy bottle water not for the taste, but for the convenience of cold water out wherever I am without having to carry around a reusable bottle.

The bottled water package that NCL offers also charges a 20% gratuity, why? no one is making any drinks so why is there gratuity being charged on a water bottle, something that is clearly not made by a server! Thats Nickel and Dime. RIDICULOUS

You are being served by bar staff. You have to tip that waiter or bartender selling you the bottle. And/or delivering it to your stateroom.

Aquafina is tap. They don't really hide that fact. And I can't stand the tap they get it from apparently, because Aquafina tastes awful to me. Worse than any tap water I've ever tried other than a couple of sketchy restaurants. A lot of NorCal tap water tastes better than SoCal tap water due to where the water is sourced from.

I don't drink tap at home. Have filtered water. I buy bottle water not for the taste, but for the convenience of cold water out wherever I am without having to carry around a reusable bottle.

The bottled waters that are from municipal supplies like Aquafina use several different supplies, regionally, to cut down on shipping costs. The reason they will taste the same across the country is that they are filtered through a multi-step process then, for some, minerals are added back in at a precise amount. The filtering removes all of the chlorine, sodium and other mineral content. In the case of Aquafina they test the water several times a day in each bottling plant. Those of us who prefer bottled water usually like the taste of it; I prefer having water that isn't chlorinated or that has chloramines in it. The water out of the sink on NCL smells heavily chlorinated to me, but it is actually tested at less chlorine than most municipal water supplies. I don't wish to drink it. The water in restaurants and bars on NCL is carbon filtered, and that usually removes all the chlorine so I will drink that. We buy the 12 pack of water for the cabin during the week.

The environmental impact of all the beer bottles, including the weight and recycling issues (since glass isn't a valued recycling material) far exceeds the water bottles. People have an emotional reaction with environmental issues instead of looking at it in a dispassionate, logical way, and emotionally think all plastic is bad. It isn't. The recycle rate of plastic bottles in California, where I live, is just slightly less than aluminum, with 80+% recycled. 100% of the plastic bottles on an NCL ship will get recycled, while the glass will go to a recycler and, most of the time, be ground up and put in the landfill (at least here in California, where I have seen the recycle rates).

Who needs water when you have the UBP. Only use it for shower, washing your teeth and hands. Being forced to drink beer, wine and cocktails for a week is tough, but I will manage somehow.

There is filtered water available at every bar and the buffet at all times, bring a bottle and fill it up, it takes less time than complaining about it.

Yes it would be nice and convenient to have bottled water in your cabin but tap water is just as good.

Now why the Lavaza coffee Is not available in the UBP I can never figure out. Simple way around it , I always order an Irish coffee and tell them to use Baileys instead of whiskey, all of a sudden the better coffee is now covered by the UBP and it tastes even better with a bit of Baileys in it.

Winning...I do the same, who drinks coffee without Bailey’s on vacation?

I use a Brita water bottle with a built-in filter & I find that the Brita-filtered water tastes much the same as bottled water.

The water on board isn't too bad to begin with, though. When we go to Disney World, the tap water there is so terrible that not even my Brita can make it drinkable. It's full of sulfur & therefore - quite literally - stinks.

NCL free at sea for 2 for a week costs about $250 for the service charge. Cheers on Carnival costs about $800 for 2 for a week, similar to Royal. Big enough price difference and money saved to buy bottled water on NCL with the package. You don't see Royal and Carnival giving free drink packages for 2 for $250 or so.

It's priced into the fare.

By Nickel and Dime you mean pay for what you want to use instead of other people subsidizing your cruise by paying a higher cruise fare? No one is forcing you to by the extras. If it is not worth the selling price simply do not buy it. I guess it is nickel and dime to charge more for the Haven than for an inside cabin right? :rolleyes:

great post: I hadn't thought of putting into those words, but I agree. give me a price I can live with and let me decide what I want to do with the rest of what is in my budget.