Uber/Lyft prices

pooksma

Not trying to sidestep the question, but I believe if you have an Uber / Lyft app you can go on and get a rate directly. To provide a price is also dependent on which level of service you choose - Uber X, Uber XL, Uber Black, etc. Maybe check on-line with their website as well. Just to add, it will likely be the same as or less than a taxi and IMO the preferable choice.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The Uber and Lyft Sites provide a fare estimator.

For basic Uber-X $31.00 to $42.00.

For basic Lyft $35.00

My experience is that the estimators are pretty good.

Keith

Agreed, since the estimator uses Uber's actual fare schedule and mapping, the only reason you would expect the price to be significantly higher is if they entered surge pricing. It's also nice that when you officially request a ride it gives you a locked-in price, as opposed to a cab driver who may "accidentally" miss your turn so you have to go loop around and try again.

Agreed, since the estimator uses Uber's actual fare schedule and mapping, the only reason you would expect the price to be significantly higher is if they entered surge pricing. It's also nice that when you officially request a ride it gives you a locked-in price, as opposed to a cab driver who may "accidentally" miss your turn so you have to go loop around and try again.

So if they hit a traffic jam, the meter doesn't keep running like a taxi?

Not trying to sidestep the question, but I believe if you have an Uber / Lyft app you can go on and get a rate directly. To provide a price is also dependent on which level of service you choose - Uber X, Uber XL, Uber Black, etc. Maybe check on-line with their website as well. Just to add, it will likely be the same as or less than a taxi and IMO the preferable choice.

Cost is also dependent on what day of the week and what time of day is being requested.

Correct, once you enter your pickup and destination you are quoted a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a per minute charge - although it is well under $1/minute.

So, if they run into a typical Florida standstill jam, the meter keeps on like a taxi but just at a lesser rate? So, stuck for 15-30 minutes, could be $15-30 more?

So, if they run into a typical Florida standstill jam, the meter keeps on like a taxi but just at a lesser rate? So, stuck for 15-30 minutes, could be $15-30 more?

The app tries to quote you accurately with traffic on your route taken into consideration. But it is a quote, not a set amount until the ride is completed. It is possible to see an increased fare but it's not likely that it is substantially higher than the quote. I just looked an I have Uber X at $0.20/minute and Lux at $0.40. That's based on Chicago rates but Miami probably isn't much different.

I actually just learned something by reading the fine print. Uber gives you a price up front, and if you don’t hit a standstill that’s the price you’ll pay. For each minute you wait, you’re on the hook for those charges. But as it was mentioned, they’re relatively minor.

I just put in MIA to POM and got the following:

UberPool: $8.53 with a $.20/minute wait charge

UberX: $14.24 with a $.23/minute wait

UberXL: $42.38 with a $.30/minute wait

UberLux: $50.57 with a $.40/minute wait

UberLux SUV: $90.18 with an $.80/minute wait

So if you were in an UberX and sat in 30 minutes of traffic you would pay $21.14

The app tries to quote you accurately with traffic on your route taken into consideration. But it is a quote, not a set amount until the ride is completed. It is possible to see an increased fare but it's not likely that it is substantially higher than the quote. I just looked an I have Uber X at $0.20/minute and Lux at $0.40. That's based on Chicago rates but Miami probably isn't much different.

I actually just learned something by reading the fine print. Uber gives you a price up front, and if you don’t hit a standstill that’s the price you’ll pay. For each minute you wait, you’re on the hook for those charges. But as it was mentioned, they’re relatively minor.

I just put in MIA to POM and got the following:

UberPool: $8.53 with a $.20/minute wait charge

UberX: $14.24 with a $.23/minute wait

UberXL: $42.38 with a $.30/minute wait

UberLux: $50.57 with a $.40/minute wait

UberLux SUV: $90.18 with an $.80/minute wait

So if you were in an UberX and sat in 30 minutes of traffic you would pay $21.14

Thank you.

We hit a bit of a standstill going into downtown Miami and the we did not pay anything additional than what was quoted. We sat there for probably 10-15 minutes getting off the Expressway. This was in December on a Friday night.

We hit a bit of a standstill going into downtown Miami and the we did not pay anything additional than what was quoted. We sat there for probably 10-15 minutes getting off the Expressway. This was in December on a Friday night.

So this had been bugging me ever since I read it yesterday since I take uber at least 1-2x per week and had never thought to look.

The consensus at work was that since Uber has traffic tracking technology they use to route their drivers, they use that and factor traffic that exists when the request is made into the price and only add a waiting fee when you take forever to get out to the car once it arrives, if you make an unplanned stop, or if you hit traffic that has cropped up since you made the request.

Incredibly scientific research on my part, if you ask me. **sits at the aft of the ship, waiting for his Nobel Prize to arrive**

So this had been bugging me ever since I read it yesterday since I take uber at least 1-2x per week and had never thought to look.

The consensus at work was that since Uber has traffic tracking technology they use to route their drivers, they use that and factor traffic that exists when the request is made into the price and only add a waiting fee when you take forever to get out to the car once it arrives, if you make an unplanned stop, or if you hit traffic that has cropped up since you made the request.

Incredibly scientific research on my part, if you ask me. **sits at the aft of the ship, waiting for his Nobel Prize to arrive**

<sends Nobel Prize out for engraving>