What does this mean?

Muffinz

someone has completed a review of the cruise we are doing in March / April and they have posted online all the issues of 'Celebrity Today' and at the bottom on port days it says

"You will be required to provide an original government issued photo ID to local portauthorities when returning to the ship"

I know we need to take our sea pass card with us, but does this mean we also need to take our passports or something with us when we are in port?

I was under the impression we should keep our passports locked in the safe in our stateroom

can someone clarify this for me?

someone has completed a review of the cruise we are doing in March / April and they have posted online all the issues of 'Celebrity Today' and at the bottom on port days it says

"You will be required to provide an original government issued photo ID to local portauthorities when returning to the ship"

I know we need to take our sea pass card with us, but does this mean we also need to take our passports or something with us when we are in port?

I was under the impression we should keep our passports locked in the safe in our stateroom

can someone clarify this for me?

A drivers license is a government issued photo ID. That is the ID I use when returning to the ship. I keep my passport locked in the safe.

Your seapass card will be scanned by security when you leave the ship, and also scanned upon return. At some ports the port authorities will check folks to ensure that they have both a seapass card and some form of government issued ID. You can use your driver's license, but our state (Alaska) also issues an official ID card which has your photo and is the size of a driver's license so we generally just take that ID. And yes, we leave our passports locked in our stateroom safe.

When we did our last NZ/AUS cruise we needed to show our passports in all the NZ ports to get back into the port area to board the ship. They actually looked at them too! So we just took them with us in Australia when we got off. I don't know if a drivers license works but I know a passport does. Very different from the Caribbean and much of the Med. Those ports all you usually need is your ships seapass card.

When we did our last NZ/AUS cruise we needed to show our passports in all the NZ ports to get back into the port area to board the ship. They actually looked at them too! So we just took them with us in Australia when we got off. I don't know if a drivers license works but I know a passport does. Very different from the Caribbean and much of the Med. Those ports all you usually need is your ships seapass card.

When we spent 30+ nights on the Solstice in 2016 we boarded in Honolulu and left the ship in Singapore. We had two NZ ports prior to reaching Sydney, and at neither Auckland nor the Bay of Islands did we need our US passports. The Sydney to Singapore leg was a variation the GBR that we and Muffinz will be doing (the March 30th cruise) with several of the same Australian port calls, and in 2016 we didn't need our passports at those ports either. We never take our passport off the ship unless there is a specific reason.

Personally, I don't enter any foreign country without carrying my passport. After all, that's what they are for. I'm a septuagenarian who has lived overseas and has travelled extensively on business and pleasure, and carrying my passport is second nature. Never lost one yet, but I take common sense precautions. Only when I started reading Cruise Critic did I become aware of this "lock it up in the safe" approach among some cruisers. If something goes wrong while I'm ashore and I miss the ship's departure, I can fly home or to the next port without difficulty. Those with a drivers licence won't be so lucky. I'm not saying that leaving your passport locked up is wrong, just that it isn't my choice.

When we spent 30+ nights on the Solstice in 2016 we boarded in Honolulu and left the ship in Singapore. We had two NZ ports prior to reaching Sydney, and at neither Auckland nor the Bay of Islands did we need our US passports. The Sydney to Singapore leg was a variation the GBR that we and Muffinz will be doing (the March 30th cruise) with several of the same Australian port calls, and in 2016 we didn't need our passports at those ports either. We never take our passport off the ship unless there is a specific reason.

Probably depends on the port. Many of the stops on the NZ portion were in industrial ports, all of those we were required to show passports and seapass cards to enter the port. I don't think we did a the Bay of Isles stop. Regardless the ship will let you know whats needed just read the daily planner.

Personally, I don't enter any foreign country without carrying my passport. After all, that's what they are for. I'm a septuagenarian who has lived overseas and has travelled extensively on business and pleasure, and carrying my passport is second nature. Never lost one yet, but I take common sense precautions. Only when I started reading Cruise Critic did I become aware of this "lock it up in the safe" approach among some cruisers. If something goes wrong while I'm ashore and I miss the ship's departure, I can fly home or to the next port without difficulty. Those with a drivers licence won't be so lucky. I'm not saying that leaving your passport locked up is wrong, just that it isn't my choice.

Exactly what we do too.

On our Eclipse 14 day this past November we were asked for our picture ID in St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Aruba. The other ports never asked. It certainly appears to be a hit or miss thing. We carried our driver's license as well as a photo copy of the picture page of our passport.

Same here for us. We used to just take our drivers licence and a copy of the passport but on a trip to France, our friend end ended up in hospital when we were on a day trip in port and the first thing they asked for was passport. Having to stay overnight and then find your way to the next port would be a challenge without a passport, and that is a challenge I can do without.

Same here for us. We used to just take our drivers licence and a copy of the passport but on a trip to France, our friend end ended up in hospital when we were on a day trip in port and the first thing they asked for was passport. Having to stay overnight and then find your way to the next port would be a challenge without a passport, and that is a challenge I can do without.

We always carry our passports. Our travel experience goes back to the time when hotels in Europe ( France particularly) used to require passports to be shown when checking in. Passports are intended to be identification for travellers. We take precautions to avoid theft, but in our opinion a passport locked in a safe is of no use in an emergency.

For me I weigh the risk of my passport being lost/damaged/stolen vs. the risk of me missing the ship when deciding whether to bring my passport of the ship, or my driver's license (I would never just bring my seapass without a government issues ID - even if one was not required). During three of my recent cruises it was a mute point as the ship held people's passports (at least US citizens) for a good chunk of the cruise - so bringing it into port was not even an option (not sure if an alternative could be arranged if a passenger insisted on keeping their passport).

Same with us and for the same reasons.

I follow the smart advise which is to keep my passport locked up when possible. That is the advice of most travel experts. This is not just advice posted on Cruise Critic. In port It is more likely to be stolen, lost or damaged if I carry it than that I will miss the ship if I am on a cruise. Of course it is a matter of choice. Do whatever makes you most comfortable.

Edited by Charles4515

This. EM