Why has the price of Princess cruises increase at a rate faster than others?

mwlillie

I really enjoyed cruising with Princess. In fact, they would be my first choice. However, considering that I normally pay for a cabin for my parents I try to be frugal.

The last time I cruised Princess, five years ago, the average cost of a balcony cabin for two was about $2K USD. This was comparable to other cruise lines. Now, the average cost for the same cabin (on the same class ship) has risen to $3K. While others are still at about the same price point as five years ago (NCL, RCL, Carnival, etc.).

When I compare factors such as shipboard amenities, itinerary, etc., I find myself not being able to justify the cost difference.

The question I have is there still deals to be made that narrows the above gap (and I do use a very reliable travel agent), or do I consider my cruising days with Princess to be at an end?

I really enjoyed cruising with Princess. In fact, they would be my first choice. However, considering that I normally pay for a cabin for my parents I try to be frugal.

The last time I cruised Princess, five years ago, the average cost of a balcony cabin for two was about $2K USD. This was comparable to other cruise lines. Now, the average cost for the same cabin (on the same class ship) has risen to $3K. While others are still at about the same price point as five years ago (NCL, RCL, Carnival, etc.).

When I compare factors such as shipboard amenities, itinerary, etc., I find myself not being able to justify the cost difference.

The question I have is there still deals to be made that narrows the above gap (and I do use a very reliable travel agent), or do I consider my cruising days with Princess to be at an end?

From what I have seen I do not agree with your conclusion. While one can pick and choose heavily discounted cruises from any line. All of the cruise lines have increase price considerably over the last 5 years. Five years ago the industry was still being impacted by the recession and all of the prices were considerably lower. Other lines have also gone to increasing benefits in their offerings while at the same time increasing prices even more than Princess.

This year I will be cruising on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess and HAL and have done multiple lines in previous years as well. So I have been pricing multiple lines for many years.

Bottom line is over five years you have seen the industry change pricing from recession to a growing economy. No real surprise.

I think it all comes down to supply and demand.

Keith

Totally agree. And simply looking at simple comparisons is very challenging. I doubt it can easily, truly be apple to apple comparisons, as you have to consider not only length and itinerary, but ship size and ports involved. Smaller ships generally cost more than large. New ships cost more than older, typically.

Far too many variables for a very easy analysis. There are so many other issues you have no idea of, like debt to pay off...perhaps Princess has more. Perhaps Princess pays better. There are a gazillion complaints around the boards that NCL nickels and dimes...so maybe they are making more on their nickel and diming.

It all depends on the time of year and itinerary. We got bargains for our current cruise (on the Regal now) and for our last cruise (Royal in mid December). Even with the amount we paid for the upsell to a suite on the Royal, our 10-day cruise was less than the OP's prices.

There are many Princess cruises that start out kinda pricey but go through the price reduction process to reach the bottom line, the go back up. I just rebooked one that had a $1100 drop from the original price, then almost immediately jumped up $500 (still 600 less than originally) so perhaps OP is either looking at an original price that has not been re-priced or its one of those flukes that stay pricey.

Totally agree. And simply looking at simple comparisons is very challenging. I doubt it can easily, truly be apple to apple comparisons, as you have to consider not only length and itinerary, but ship size and ports involved. Smaller ships generally cost more than large. New ships cost more than older, typically.

Far too many variables for a very easy analysis. There are so many other issues you have no idea of, like debt to pay off...perhaps Princess has more. Perhaps Princess pays better. There are a gazillion complaints around the boards that NCL nickels and dimes...so maybe they are making more on their nickel and diming.

There is a lot of information on the HCLH, RCL, and CCL SEC filings. While you cannot tell what is going on inside of each line within the holding it will tell you changes in trends like revenue per passenger, percent on board revenue, capacity levels, debt, etc across the holding company.

The last few quarters, Carnival Corp has reported that sales are above the year ago period and at higher prices. this would be Princess, Carnival, Cunard, Costa, HAL, etc.

So have the others

Just had a look at the last 10Q filing for each and compared most recent quarter with year previous. Rev per passenger day is a good measure when looking for price increases.

HCLH

Rev per passenger Day 2017 325.7 2016 317.6 % change 2.5%

Rev Source Fare 72.7 On Board 27.8

Occupancy Rate 110.5%

RCL

Rev per passenger day 2017 212.07 2016 205.94 % change 3%

Rev Source Fare 73.7% On Board 26.3%

Occupancy 110.6%

CCL

Rev per passenger day 2017 253.82 2016 240.60 % change 5.5%

Rev source Fare 77.2 On Board 22.8%

Occupancy 111.3%

So based upon this CCL has had the highest increase in rev per passenger day over the last year (5.5% to 3% to 2.5%) though not an excessive amount. Cannot tell how the increase is distributed across the owned lines of each company.

Note that CCL has the lowest on board revenue percentage of the 3 companies which would mean that the percentage increase would be felt more in fares than the others (very small but present).

Also note the CCL has the highest occupancy ratio which may indicate more pricing power. Though they are all relatively close in range. All substantially higher than 5 years ago when 105% was more normal.

Bottom line is all three holding companies are showing more pricing power and are using it.

I assume you've never cruised Disney....

Exactly my thought when I read the original post.

And it is virtually impossible to compare "apples to apples" when looking at the various lines, especially when factoring in such perks as complimentary gratuities, specialty dining, etc. I've found the entry level cabins to be similar on the various lines, excluding DCL. And that even after accounting for less "nickel and dime" charges on DCL, they still run 50% or more over the price of similar lines. Celebrity's web site is such a pain that I often just give up on them!

I've also learned to shop the "deals" on cruises as I can be flexible on dates. I choose those where I can get a good price, although sometimes it is better than others.

Princess does seem to be decreasing the value of services and events, perhaps more rapidly than other lines. I'm thinking of things like expiration dates on coffee cards, decline of the Captain's Circle reception, etc. On the other hand, the new bedding is a huge improvement, and one of these days I'll be on a ship with one of the new shows.

Edited by moki'smommy

So much depends on when you are booking because the prices go up and down. In 2016 we did the spring TA on the Regal and paid $1699 pp for a regular balcony (with $600 OBC) We're doing the exact same cruise this year for $1140 pp for a deluxe balcony. When we booked it, the price was $2249 pp (included sip and sail). When the price came down, we gave up the s & s and got $600 OBC. So originally the cruse was more than it was 2 years ago but it ended up much less.

"Why has the price of Princess cruises increase at a rate faster than others?"---Come now, please identify at least some of the "others" you refer to, or if not, do you believe Princess pricing is running well ahead of price lines established today within mainstream portions of the mass market cruise industry?

If unable to do so, give some logic with backup reason for your original post assertion----After having done that please explain what you mean by "increase"-- are you talking over all cruise price(s) or certain elements of a cruise, such as meals, booze charges, entertainment specialty, specialty restaurant charges, shore excursions----you know, the add on charges-- etc?

If your opinion is not all encompassing of total Princess pricing, please identify the "price" escalations of all these that are pertinent to the Princess rates that exceed the "others" you believe is occurring. However, if you are want to identify particular price structure(s) within the cruise industry at large which you might rationalize as average and that Princess exceeds such, please enlighten us as to what segments of the price rate increase you believe Princess has going for them or against them today. Or are you just throwing c--p at the wall hoping something will stick because you have a whatever problem with Princess???

I think it all comes down to supply and demand.

Keith

Yep.....and lots and lots of people retiring, often their first vacation is a cruise......did several cruises last year.....so many new cruisers...especially on a Majestic 21 day.......look at the boards how many new sign -ons and many same old, same old questions and discussions

Also the promos...are having people book early and thus keeping pricing up........I never booked a Mexican Riviera or a Pacific Coastal early...but the last couple of years they are getting me to because of Promos...in fact I booked the Majestic because of a promo..since I have pretty much completed my travel goals, I actually looked around at cruises that would be fun to haev the sip & sail on......so if others are like me.....

So much depends on when you are booking because the prices go up and down. In 2016 we did the spring TA on the Regal and paid $1699 pp for a regular balcony (with $600 OBC) We're doing the exact same cruise this year for $1140 pp for a deluxe balcony. When we booked it, the price was $2249 pp (included sip and sail). When the price came down, we gave up the s & s and got $600 OBC. So originally the cruse was more than it was 2 years ago but it ended up much less.

Many of us did not give up the sip & sale....so Princess made out on DH & I...(figured Sip & Sale resulted in a BOGO or less ultimately on 2 of our cruises) and think of all the other cruisers that booked that promo once and never looked again.....which by the way are the majority of people who cruise.....like everyone in my family...some of us or our TAs want to save money....... others, just do not care....if it involves effort or research on their part.

When I see a drop on a cruise I can call a friend or family remember( I do not have or want control of their booking) and tell them they can save 150. per person, and often they just do not want to take the time...their loss. Just sayin'

Edited by land lover

Thoughts on Princess. Looking at Princess for a European cruise. Have never cruised with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I too am looking to Sail the Med (more specific, Italy) Sailed Princess for first time last July and our cruise was excellent. Princess was wonderful. So we are looking at booking a med cruise; however, we also are looking at comparison pricing with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. We have sailed with the latter two lines in Europe and both were great cruises.

We have sailed MSC, Princess, Disney and NCL in the last year and our Princess cruise was the least expensive of all the cruises. We found an amazing one week sale price for the sailing we wanted and snagged it up quickly. I think that Princess prices fluctuate a lot and you have to kind of watch them and seize the moment quickly when you see a price drop.

I too am looking to Sail the Med (more specific, Italy) Sailed Princess for first time last July and our cruise was excellent. Princess was wonderful. So we are looking at booking a med cruise; however, we also are looking at comparison pricing with Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. We have sailed with the latter two lines in Europe and both were great cruises.

We are pricing Princess and Royal Caribbean too. Our best price that we have found so far is on MSC. We have never sailed on Princes. Interested in thoughts.

These lines are all very different. If your goal is to say that you want a floating hotel to see Italy, any of them will provide that. Even in summer, RCL will have a lot more kids--it is second only to Disney in that regard. It has things like a climbing wall and skating rink that appeal to teens and young adults. Overall, the feel is a lot more "Las Vegas" than other lines.

Princess will have kids during the summer, but it will still have the feel of an adult line. The decor is a lot more sedate; themed mostly in beige and browns (they think it is classy, some of my family finds it boring). There will be a lot of drinking, but not to the point of obnoxious drunk. The entertainment is equally less glitz, more grown up....but only a little.

Never cruised MSC; everything I know is from on line reports so I won't tell tales. Mostly good reviews from adults.

Norwegian seems to be trying to figure out what it wants to be as it grows up. Years ago (MANY), it had the reputation of the classiest, most upscale of the main lines. That's long gone. Now it seems to be positioning itself as a mid to low cost line, trying to do the family bit like Royal Caribbean, bright colors, lots of flash and splash, etc. A couple years ago they were upcharging for EVERYTHING. They had many complaints and rolled back many of those charges. My overall feeling about them is that I'm not a kid any more, If I want to do a family/kid line, I'll pay the money and buy the excellence of Disney (and I have, many times). If I want a lower cost line, Princess suits me nicely. I'd certainly consider MSC for the right price and itinerary, just never have done so.

We are pricing Princess and Royal Caribbean too. Our best price that we have found so far is on MSC. We have never sailed on Princes. Interested in thoughts.

While we have never sailed on MSC I have read a number of comparison reviews. I don't think MSC sounds like a good "fit" for us. I feel lucky that we started with Princess as it seems to work well for our wants/needs.