Not good first impressions

niklah

OK, so I’m not new to cruises. I’ve done Carnival, Norwegian & Holland America ( in that order) for a total of 7 cruises. I hope to take at least a cruise a year, if not more. My last 2 cruises were disappointing on HAL. Just not enough activities. I’m 60+ but not dead. I’ve been looking forward to my 1st Celebrity cruise for 14 days in the southern Caribbean. So far, I’m a bit put off & surprised at some of the differences I see, before I even board. For example: on HAL you can Board with as much soda & water you can carry, in initial boarding & ports. You can order a bottle of alcohol for use in your stateroom for $50 up, depending on brand, etc. I realize there are differences between lines, ships, etc., but I’m hoping there will be more positives than I’m seeing so far. Feeling like this is going to be a nickel dime experience...

If you check Gifts on Board https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-gifts/items-results?category=SPIRIT&collection=LIQUORPKG it shows a list of Alcohol you can pre-order for your cabin. I'm not sure if this is a full list but you can call and check.

As far as water we've never been stopped from bringing any from on shore but have never tried to bring a case on at any port. We have however brought two large bottles of Evian. Once they took a look to make sure it was water and not something else.

If you pay the dollars up front then it won’t be a nickel dime experience.

Apparently you got a good rate that made you want to book the cruise. Now you can spend the dollars saved how you wish.

The cruise lines offer lower rates at the end to fill up the cabins knowing that once on board they can nickel and dime you. I have seen the so called last minute rates and then the offer to “upgrade” to include some perks. When added all together the cost ended up being more that what I paid months before final payment was due.

Personally we have survived drinking the ship’s water and complimentary beverages on many different cruise lines. We also didn’t spend much on drinks because there were always drink specials, tastings, or a ship’s welcome party of some kind and many times had enough to drink on tours or in port.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We’ve never felt nickel and dimed on Celebrity in the least. If you want to spend a bunch of cash, sure, you can do it. You can take your drinks onboard and preorder liquor to your cabin if you want to. Do you have a drink package? Not sure what your other concerns are but I would give it a chance first. You may enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can also bring on two bottles of wine for consumption in your cabin, but If you take these to the dining room you will be charged a corkage fee. We have never had any trouble taking water or soda on board.

OK, so I’m not new to cruises. I’ve done Carnival, Norwegian & Holland America ( in that order) for a total of 7 cruises. I hope to take at least a cruise a year, if not more. My last 2 cruises were disappointing on HAL. Just not enough activities. I’m 60+ but not dead. I’ve been looking forward to my 1st Celebrity cruise for 14 days in the southern Caribbean. So far, I’m a bit put off & surprised at some of the differences I see, before I even board. For example: on HAL you can Board with as much soda & water you can carry, in initial boarding & ports. You can order a bottle of alcohol for use in your stateroom for $50 up, depending on brand, etc. I realize there are differences between lines, ships, etc., but I’m hoping there will be more positives than I’m seeing so far. Feeling like this is going to be a nickel dime experience...

Call who ever you booked your cruise with and check to see if any comp upgrades/perks are available for you.

it will only be that type of experience if you allow them to do it to you. I agree that you should let your TA know and make plans to do what you need to do onboard in order to have a great cruise. After all, it is what you make of it and your mind set! Just because it is on this board, does not necessarily make it true. Lots of people really enjoy Celebrity, so breathe...

Niklah,

If I understand what you are saying, you may have received some incorrect information concerning a Celebrity cruise. I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised.

You said you were put off and surprised about the difference in policy concerning water and soda. You can bring as much water and soda on board at initial boarding and each port on Celebrity. (Perhaps you misunderstood?)

You can order bottles of liquor to enjoy in your cabin on Celebrity as well.

What other negatives are bothering you?

I suspect you will find more activities on Celebrity than Holland American, but less when compared to Cardinal and NCL. That does not mean that there will not be non stop activities on Celebrity, just not as much variety IMO.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have a friend who has only sailed on HAL until now and is about to sail on the Reflection. He was shocked at how much more it cost to order a bottle of scotch to his room. On HAL it was about 50% less and I think X now puts a delivery charge on top of the cost of the bottle when it is delivered to your room. I think the X bottle of scotch came to $100 +15 delivery. That really is quite unreasonable.

For example: on HAL you can Board with as much soda & water you can carry, in initial boarding & ports. You can order a bottle of alcohol for use in your stateroom for $50 up, depending on brand, etc. I realize there are differences between lines, ships, etc., but I’m hoping there will be more positives than I’m seeing so far. Feeling like this is going to be a nickel dime experience...

I agree with respect to the alcohol for use in the stateroom. There is quite a discrepancy between HAL and Celebrity. While we were able to order a bottle of Canadian rye whiskey on Hal for about $50 last year, the option was not even available on the Celebrity website, and other types of alcohol were over $100. An email inquiry about that particular beverage was returned a few days later with an apology, no information about availability, and a promise to follow-up that never materialized.

This did not really affect our enjoyment of the cruise, but did temper our opinion of Celebrity and its customer service...

We didn't have any problem bringing water on board X last year (September). You may be thinking of NCL that confiscates or forces you to discard any beverage being brought on board (even from port stops; that half empty open bottle of drinking water must be emptied before boarding).

Each line has their own idiosyncrasies. I believe you can bring 2 bottles of wine on board and pay a corkage fee only if you consume it in a public venue, so you can enjoy your own wine without a corkage fee in the cabin. On NCL, you pay $15 corkage for every bottle, no matter where consumed, but you can bring as much as you like. If a certain wine is a must have, and you want more than two bottles, you can do that on NCL by paying the fee (Princess has a similar plan, with the first bottle exempt from the corkage). So you have to pick the line that appeals to you the most, for your reasons.

I think most of the posters here booking balconies are booking Aqua or Concierge Class cabins with "perks" like the drink plan. We booked like you did, a regular balcony cabin with only our travel agent OBC as a perk. Compared to other lines we have sailed X really puts the squeeze on you the first day or so to buy the drink plan. I wouldn't exactly call it high pressure, but you might have to get very firm with your "NO!" to get the charge slip to sign the first couple of days. The dining experience in the Main Dining Room, if you choose anytime dining, is not as nice as on NCL or Princess. We always waited at least 15 - 20 minutes to be seated. It is chaotic, with tables crowded together and waiters swinging trays of food over your heads to serve people at the next table. The food is on a par with NCL for dinner (we will eat at the buffet or skip the meal altogether for breakfast next time on X; they have no idea what they are doing here).

Only the buffet is open for lunch on embarkation day to non-Concierge class balconies, and we really missed being able to sit in an organized, spacious MDR for lunch the first day. And there was no sail away party on our cruise.

Still, X is in our list of lines we will be happy to sail with the right price and itinerary. Most of what we experienced were minor irritations and certainly nothing to spoil our mood. I think you will enjoy the cruise since you have been on three lines already; you just have to keep the right attitude about it.

I guess I’ve never understood complaints based on not being able to bring your own water and soda on to a cruise ship. If you can afford a cruise on HAL or Celebrity is water and soda on the ship really that much of a financial burden?

Do people complain about not being able to bring their own beverages to restaurants?

I do understand the complaints of overpriced bottles of alcohol for stateroom delivery but not the water n soda thing.

Agree! The bring-your-own water/soda brigade probably doesn't tip either.

I guess I’ve never understood complaints based on not being able to bring your own water and soda on to a cruise ship. If you can afford a cruise on HAL or Celebrity is water and soda on the ship really that much of a financial burden?

Do people complain about not being able to bring their own beverages to restaurants?

I do understand the complaints of overpriced bottles of alcohol for stateroom delivery but not the water n soda thing.

Agree! The bring-your-own water/soda brigade probably doesn't tip either.

Service charges and gratuities are often considered “nickles and dimes” by such people and as such likely withhold them “ to give to those who actually serve them”.

It’s mind-boggling but true.

We find drink prices tend to be lower on Hal but ncl and X frequently add drinks packages as perks so tends to be comparable. If you are a big Hal fan you might find X more commercial, we like both but find X cruises tend to be a bit more fun while Hal is a quieter experience

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are very expensive.

What I don’t understand is ... why two bottles of wine is allowed per state room, but not hard liquor. We for example do not drink wines at all. :(

It’s not only on Celebrity, but on all lines.

They are very expensive.

What I don’t understand is ... why two bottles of wine is allowed per state room, but not hard liquor. We for example do not drink wines at all. :(

It’s not only on Celebrity, but on all lines.

You can take as much wine and spirits (and presumably water!) as you wish on-board Cunard for private consumption in your cabin. Did it last month: two bottles of whisky and eight bottles of wine for a 14 day cruise. Had to buy more :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

You can take as much wine and spirits (and presumably water!) as you wish on-board Cunard for private consumption in your cabin. Did it last month: two bottles of whisky and eight bottles of wine for a 14 day cruise. Had to buy more :loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Hmmm... I don’t think so. We sailed on Cunard past summer and while we could take unlimited wine, I don’t think we could hard liquor.

From their site

Can I bring alcohol on board?
You may bring wine or champagne on board to celebrate special occasions. However if it is consumed in any of the dining rooms, alternative restaurants or bars then each bottle will be subject to  a corkage fee.    

Besides Cunard has very limited itineraries from North America to make it a regular line.