Sailing out of San Juan

tammi67

Should I be concerned with an itinerary that sails out of San Juan? I've read some unpleasant reviews of a considerable amount of locals on the ship, being loud and rude (attributable to cultural differences).

Should I be concerned with an itinerary that sails out of San Juan? I've read some unpleasant reviews of a considerable amount of locals on the ship, being loud and rude (attributable to cultural differences).

We did not experience anything like that when we sailed out of San Juan in the summer of 2016.

WOW!!!

Reminds me of the time we sailed out of Bayonne, NJ; there was a group of loudmouth drunks. I guess you need to consider port of embarkation as well as line, ship, cost and itinerary. Can't be too careful these days.

Seriously?:o

We did not experience anything like that when we sailed out of San Juan in the summer of 2016.

Let me add one thing to my original reply. DW and I spent a lot of time at night at the Latin dancing, and the locals were very encouraging and supportive.

Strangely enough (?), on our sailing out of SJ, the only loudness, rudeness, and otherwise unpleasant behavior that we encountered came from cruisers with pronounced American accents. How do you attribute that to "cultural differences"? Hmm?

We've sailed out of San Juan, twice, fairly recently and haven't had any issues. I know that some cruises have the reputation of being "loud and rude", but I've really only heard that about the 3 - 4 night cruises out of FL to the Bahamas & the comparison of those cruises to "spring break" atmosphere. We've only taken 7 day cruises but our FAVORITES are the ones we've sailed out of San Juan. We LOVE the ports, very scenic. It's also a great experience sailing out at night past the forts.

I have never sailed out of San Juan, but have encountered loud and rude people on every cruise. This has been on AMA, Windstar, Paul Gauguin and HAL. Some involving just a couple of people, others larger groups. They usually involve too much drinking or a sense of over entitlement.

• 3 weeks later...
We've sailed out of San Juan, twice, fairly recently and haven't had any issues. I know that some cruises have the reputation of being "loud and rude", but I've really only heard that about the 3 - 4 night cruises out of FL to the Bahamas & the comparison of those cruises to "spring break" atmosphere. We've only taken 7 day cruises but our FAVORITES are the ones we've sailed out of San Juan. We LOVE the ports, very scenic. It's also a great experience sailing out at night past the forts.

I wanted to get back to you about our previous discussions. First learning from you that Shipwreck was closed saved another couple we ate dinner with from a disappointing experience.

Second I told you I'd get back to you about Nevis. We spent an hour after our snorkeling and catamaran trip and an hour was plenty. The beach was Meh. It was called Peonies. There were waves and it pulled, etc and the beach wasn't the really pretty sand nor all that clean. I would never plan a whole beach break there unless there's a Bay with a day pass.

I don't think you should be "concerned," but yes, you may notice some differences leaving from San Juan. There is a good likelihood you'll hear more announcements in both Spanish and English, and if you're a karaoke fan, you may hear some tunes you're not familiar with. A percentage of your fellow cruisers will probably be from Puerto Rico -- no surprise!

We happen to love the itineraries that start in San Juan, our Celebrity Summit cruise this past December being the latest. As others have pointed out, "loud and rude" can happen on a cruise from any departure point.

I wanted to get back to you about our previous discussions. First learning from you that Shipwreck was closed saved another couple we ate dinner with from a disappointing experience.

Second I told you I'd get back to you about Nevis. We spent an hour after our snorkeling and catamaran trip and an hour was plenty. The beach was Meh. It was called Peonies. There were waves and it pulled, etc and the beach wasn't the really pretty sand nor all that clean. I would never plan a whole beach break there unless there's a Bay with a day pass.

Thanks for getting back! Great to hear your thoughts on Nevis. I know Carnival also offers an excursion that is a catamaran/snorkel/beach break combo and the beach break is on Nevis for about an hour. It gets fairly decent ratings, so that's probably what we'd do. The catamaran you were on, was it a large, yellow one (Blue Water Safaris)? Since we like to snorkel, something like that may be our best option. Is that the beach on Nevis that faces St. Kitts? I'd like it more for the views. Do you remember if there were any little shops/shacks near the beach on Nevis that sells small souvenir type stuff like fridge magnets? But yeah, an hour there does sound like enough time. Thanks!

Now that you mentioned the beach at Nevis, it sounds very much like the beaches in St. Kitts. Cockleshell's sand was kind of "meh" too. We've never been to Frigate Bay in St. Kitts, but I've heard the same thing about the beach then. I loved Shipwreck's black sand. So glad you were able to inform the other couple you met at dinner...that would have been disappointing. I know only a fraction of cruise ship passengers get on CC, so I'm sure that a lot of people weren't aware of the South Friar's Bay beach bars (Shipwreck, a couple others) were forced to close.