RCI Pizza

I just looked it up...its Franks Pizza at 424 Ave P.(different Frank's Pizza than the one on Flatbush Ave I posted about above). I've never been to that Frank's Pizza but now I might have to try it.

Best Manhattan pizza :John's in the West Village

• 4 weeks later...

The pizza on Freedom was much better than on Adventure two years ago. We were told by our Head Waiter (he works in Sorentos during the day) that it was changed two weeks ago. Still not a good as Carnival's in my opinion, but much much better than my last cruise.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Forums mobile app

I lived in Crown Heights and Canarsie before moving to LI.There was another good pizza place on Ave. P and E. 2 St.

Born in 1946 (when there were no houses below E 87th street and Ave. L.) and lived in Canarsie till 71. Before any of the "pizzerias" in Canarsie that sold pizza by the slice the only place to get a pizza, aside from the square pies at the Italian bakery by the train station was Tat and Judy's restaurant on E 92 and Conklin Ave,

The taste of those pizzas still lingers in my memory, maybe because it was the first we ever had.

Times change but to this day it is rare to find any pizza as good as back in Brooklyn or NYC.

Hard the imagine that on a modern cruise ship that can produce such an enormous variety of foods, a simple product like a PIZZA is almost impossible to produce???????

I can make any style pizza as good as any pizzeria but would never even attempt producing a croissant, which most cruise lines can turn out by the thousands..(except NCL-ugh).

bosco

I agree with Davebhoy. But I eat it and have consumed more than one slice. BUT and this is a big butt I cannot deny;p..you can go up to the pizza counter and order up one special, it's always better right out of the oven. We had them make us a chicken, onion and pepper pizza on Mariner once that was pretty darn good.

Having said that, there are frozen pizzas and then there are frozen pizzas...if you haven't tried DeJorno's Pizzeria type frozen pizza, then you are in for a treat. That pizza is the only frozen pizza I will eat. The crust is very good, don't care for their other varieties. It comes in cheese, pepperoni and Supreme. But it must say Pizzaria on the front. I'd say a fresh RCCL pizza is just about even with that. Of course my favorite restaurant pizza is Pizza Hut Pan or my own homemade on the wood fired pellet grill artisan pizza which is fantastic IMHO!;p

Born in 1946 (when there were no houses below E 87th street and Ave. L.) and lived in Canarsie till 71. Before any of the "pizzerias" in Canarsie that sold pizza by the slice the only place to get a pizza, aside from the square pies at the Italian bakery by the train station was Tat and Judy's restaurant on E 92 and Conklin Ave,

The taste of those pizzas still lingers in my memory, maybe because it was the first we ever had.

Times change but to this day it is rare to find any pizza as good as back in Brooklyn or NYC.

Hard the imagine that on a modern cruise ship that can produce such an enormous variety of foods, a simple product like a PIZZA is almost impossible to produce???????

I can make any style pizza as good as any pizzeria but would never even attempt producing a croissant, which most cruise lines can turn out by the thousands..(except NCL-ugh).

bosco

Hey Bosco, please don't take this as an insult, I loved NYC, but back in the 1970's I hunted all over around the 40's and 50's (streets) for pizza, sidewalk pizza and pizzarias. They were good, but not exactly what I was expecting. I admit I was a little disappointed...I had built them up as mana from heaven. But I am a Texican and probably comparing them to Pizza Hut. I still have yet to treat myself to a real Italian pizza as we have never cruised the Med...but someday.

And I agree, I can produce a quality pizza at home easily....it's all about the crust for me.

And BTW, I never cared for Carnival's pizza either. I certainly didn't consider it better than RCCL, just about the same...meh.

I can remember growing up in NJ and having my parents take us to a pizza restaurant where they had the thin crust sausage pizza. The entire pizza was covered with sausage and it looked like ground up sausage and liberally loaded onto the shell and sauce.

These days sausage pizza is a few dinky slices on the whole pie. I long for the old days, but I know things change.

Last cruise on Allure which was in January, the pizza was far better than it was last year. Last year I felt it was fake cheese and little sauce and just awful. The make your own wasn't any better. In January it appeared to be real cheese and was so much better.

I also liked the salad served there and the paninis looked good, although I didn't try any.

• 2 weeks later...

And I agree, I can produce a quality pizza at home easily....it's all about the crust for me.

And BTW, I never cared for Carnival's pizza either. I certainly didn't consider it better than RCCL, just about the same...meh.

No insult taken. There are lousy Pizza places just as there are great Pizza places all over NY and especially Brooklyn ( 87th Street ). I mentioned is in BROOKLYN- not NY City)

Where I now live (150 miles North of Brooklyn) there are only one or two places that I would consider ordering a Pizza from, and this area has dozens of places in close proximity.

It is hard to understand why a 16 year old kid in a local joint on a city street can make a fantastic Pizza when Cordon Bleu trained "chefs" are only able to turn out what at best would be considered barely passable.

I do feel however that if really good Pizzas were served the ships couldn't handle the demand.

If several hundred Pizza lovers in any city neighborhood were to line up for even just two slices at even one of the biggest Pizza places in NYC they would be standing in line till they died of hunger. LOL . Picture this situation on a ship at lunch when Pizza would make the perfect afternoon meal. and the Pizza venue had a captive audience of 3 or 4 thousand passengers.

My brother in-law (Helotes, Texas) loves Pizza from the better places here and laughs when he sees places in NY selling "real" Tex-Mex..

Good sailing to you and yours.

bosco

While I did not read the entire thread, one major point I think we all forget. That is how they cook the pizza.

Most pizzaria's use a pizza oven, a unique device that heats up to well over 500 deg and cooks the dough and toppings in 8 min or so. Such ovens generate lots of heat which has to be exhausted close to the oven. They also consume a significant amount of energy, typically gas. Ain't no gas on a Cruise Ship. No way to exhaust that kind of heat out of Sorrento's.

So all cruise lines are limited in how they can cook the pizza, mostly in lower temperature ovens or a convection style device. They are always going to be below par compared to your land based pizza pie -- always.

While I did not read the entire thread, one major point I think we all forget. That is how they cook the pizza.

Most pizzaria's use a pizza oven, a unique device that heats up to well over 500 deg and cooks the dough and toppings in 8 min or so. Such ovens generate lots of heat which has to be exhausted close to the oven. They also consume a significant amount of energy, typically gas. Ain't no gas on a Cruise Ship. No way to exhaust that kind of heat out of Sorrento's.

So all cruise lines are limited in how they can cook the pizza, mostly in lower temperature ovens or a convection style device. They are always going to be below par compared to your land based pizza pie -- always.

For ships at or near to a Billion dollars $7,000 a piece for a few real up to 800 degree Baker's Pride Commercial Pizza ovens is a drop in the ocean. These are made with excellent insulation to keep the heat in and DO NOT turn the oven into a pot belly stove, cooler in fact than gas because exhaust venting isn't need..

. Typical Pizza oven in my two places ran at about 700 or a little above.

bosco

It is hard to understand why a 16 year old kid in a local joint on a city street can make a fantastic Pizza when Cordon Bleu trained "chefs" are only able to turn out what at best would be considered barely passable.

bosco

Because that 16YO kid did not decide which oven to use, what ingredients made up the sauce and dough, which cheese to buy etc..

He’s simply a worker that’s been trained how to assemble the ingredients to produce a quality product. The owner is the one that gets the credit.

Because that 16YO kid did not decide which oven to use, what ingredients made up the sauce and dough, which cheese to buy etc..

He’s simply a worker that’s been trained how to assemble the ingredients to produce a quality product. The owner is the one that gets the credit.

Of course that's true and so is the sad fact that NOT one of the supposed world renowned pastry chefs in the RCCL line can work up a simple dough recipe (pizza dough is one of the most basic doughs to make) and supply that kid with a good OO pizza flour, some really good tomatoes for sauce, some good olive oil and a decent quality Mozzarella??

In 1957 my mother had a full sized gas pizza oven and 25 pound commercial mixer on our back porch and supplied the first pizza sold in Ebbet.'s field to a Brooklyn pizza knowledgeable audience...:)

bosco

I love White Castle.

Crystal just doesn't cut it.

This may not be true anymore, but Louisville, KT was the only city with both Crystal and White Castle. :cool::cool:

White Castle has a seasoning that doesn’t make my palate happy.

Krystal, on the other hand, is perfect!

We love their corn pups, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where I now live (150 miles North of Brooklyn) there are only one or two places that I would consider ordering a Pizza from, and this area has dozens of places in close proximity.

I have family members who recently moved to a town 158 miles north of Brooklyn . I expect to be going to visit later this month and asked how close they are to a pizza parlor .They said they think 45 minutes away.

I need to have a pizza parlor that is at most 5 minutes from my house.

Lenny

White Castle has a seasoning that doesn’t make my palate happy.

Krystal, on the other hand, is perfect!

We love their corn pups, too.

Crystal patty doesn't have holes, correct?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Of course that's true and so is the sad fact that NOT one of the supposed world renowned pastry chefs in the RCCL line can work up a simple dough recipe (pizza dough is one of the most basic doughs to make) and supply that kid with a good OO pizza flour, some really good tomatoes for sauce, some good olive oil and a decent quality Mozzarella??

In 1957 my mother had a full sized gas pizza oven and 25 pound commercial mixer on our back porch and supplied the first pizza sold in Ebbet.'s field to a Brooklyn pizza knowledgeable audience...:)

bosco

Not going to happen when making mass produced Pizza's for a ship that carry's up to 9000 passengers and crew. They no longer cook for just 500 passengers like they did 30 yrs ago, that's when they food quality started to change... I actual don't mind flavor of Royal's crust, when real hungry, just end up throwing away anything besides the outer 3inchs of each piece

Not going to happen when making mass produced Pizza's for a ship that carry's up to 9000 passengers and crew. They no longer cook for just 500 passengers like they did 30 yrs ago, that's when they food quality started to change... I actual don't mind flavor of Royal's crust, when real hungry, just end up throwing away anything besides the outer 3inchs of each piece

It's all up to the line and chef. Princess cruises have managed to do good pizzas for similar number of passengers to RCL. That's because they want to though.

Drunk it's the best pizza in the world, sober I wouldn't touch it. It's a cross between a frozen pizza and Domino's on a good day. People coming from NY,NJ & PA mostly hate it because of the abundance of great pizza available at home.

Drunk it's the best pizza in the world, sober I wouldn't touch it. It's a cross between a frozen pizza and Domino's on a good day. People coming from NY,NJ & PA mostly hate it because of the abundance of great pizza available at home.

I could be on life support that pizza would never be the best pizza I have had.

I love RCI pizza ,the more for me

It's fine pizza, I'm guessing pizza is a passion for some and I get that this wouldn't be at the top of any list. It's free, it's hot and generally cheesy so its pizza

It's fine pizza, I'm guessing pizza is a passion for some and I get that this wouldn't be at the top of any list. It's free, it's hot and generally cheesy so its pizza

cheese is fine, rarely has enough sauce and often undercooked. have them run it through again in most cases.

Make friends with the pizza guy and they will custom make you one when they see you in line.