Radiance cruise cancelled last minute

I agree. I don't understand why they changed their mind and went in. Most of the tours were cancelled or changed and I doubt anyone really enjoyed the torrential rain. Our tour was changed so.much we received a 50% rrfund. Perhap the issue would mot have happened if we had staywd away

Perhaps it would have happened today, tomorrow, who knows. Reaching

3 days notice for this is ridiculous - surely they would have known about this earlier?

OP I hope you find another option.

From what I've read, there was a malfunction during the current cruise. You can't plan breakdowns. They are able to complete the current cruise.

Welcome to CC.

The ship could make it to Hawaii on a single pod, but like now, it would be limited to about 15 knots - kinda like a two engine jet plane can fly just fine on a single engine, though you wouldn't want to take off with just one.

I don't know about the 15 knots. One issue would be constantly have to adjust for thrust that is on one side of the ship and not centered along the centerline of the ship. The ship would keep trying the turn so the remaining azipod would have to be turned at an angle to keep the ship going straight. You would loss maybe one third of the efficiency of the engine to offset the off center thrust..

I don't know about the 15 knots. One issue would be constantly have to adjust for thrust that is on one side of the ship and not centered along the centerline of the ship. The ship would keep trying the turn so the remaining azipod would have to be turned at an angle to keep the ship going straight. You would loss maybe one third of the efficiency of the engine to offset the off center thrust..

They are Azipods.... capable of rotating 360 degrees. Yes, an offset Azipod will need to be adjusted but they do that all the time for winds and current. Newer ships have 3, one on the center line.

Welcome to CC.

The ship could make it to Hawaii on a single pod, but like now, it would be limited to about 15 knots - kinda like a two engine jet plane can fly just fine on a single engine, though you wouldn't want to take off with just one.

I wouldn’t have a warm, fuzzy feeling leaving port to head across the Pacific on one Azipod — especially not at the end of the South Pacific cyclone season.[emoji15]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are Azipods.... capable of rotating 360 degrees. Yes, an offset Azipod will need to be adjusted but they do that all the time for winds and current. Newer ships have 3, one on the center line.

Yes but instead of the one azipod pointing straight back for propulsion, it would have to be offset to correct for drift due to the offset of the azipod. Not the most efficient means of propulsion. Like slewing a 2 engine airplane with one engine down.

Now I wonder if I should buy insurance for my trip.....

Yes but instead of the one azipod pointing straight back for propulsion, it would have to be offset to correct for drift due to the offset of the azipod. Not the most efficient means of propulsion. Like slewing a 2 engine airplane with one engine down.

Now I wonder if I should buy insurance for my trip.....

I think we said the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Milwaukee - were/are you on either the cancelled Radiance cruise or the follow up Explorer cruise? Inquiring minds want to know if you have a vested interest or just trolling?

Got my answer. PWWNE ( Post whore with no equity).

Instead of Royal just throwing some $$ at you, it would be nice if they could get creative and come up with some kind of plan.

Did you miss this??? A COMPLETE REFUND and A FREE CRUISE...

Compensation details:

We will be providing you with a full refund of your cruise as well as a 100% Future Cruise Credit.

Your refund will be automatically processed to the form of payment used to pay for your booking. You should see these refunds post to your account in the next 5-10 business days.

In the hope that you will come sail with us again soon, you will also receive a 100% Future Cruise Credit. This credit will be based on the cruise fare portion paid, non-inclusive of taxes and fees. This certificate is valid for one year and will be sent to the email on file in the next week.

For guests that are flying in:

For our Air2Sea guests or guests that purchased air directly with Royal Caribbean, we will be providing you with a full refund of your airfare. Additionally, we will reach out to you or your travel partner to work through new travel arrangements.

If you purchased air on your own, we will be reimbursing change fees of up to $200 per person for domestic flights and up to $300 per person for international flights (change in airline reservations must be like-for-like cabin class and a faxed/email copy of air fees assessed must be provided for reimbursement). Please submit your receipts within the next 30 days to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com.

Pre-purchased items:

Any pre-purchased items, like beverage packages, internet, or shore excursions, will be automatically refunded to the form of payment utilized.

Did you miss this??? A COMPLETE REFUND and A FREE CRUISE...

As someone impacted by this cancellation, I would just like to add my 2 cents and hope you appreciate our situation.

We were on the March 29, April 6 and April 17th Radiance cruises. I am from Florida. Had this cancellation been a Caribbean cruise out of one of the Florida ports I might agree with your assessment of the compensation, but I spent more than 2 years planning this trip , pre and post hotels , excursions and experiences. The logistics, flights and hotel research and options took hours to coordinate .

Then 1/2 way through the first leg, we are notified the next sailing is cancelled. We are on the other side of the world headed to a town that has a very expensive hotel accommodations rate and no plan for what to do.

Is the refund enough? I don't know yet. I spent one entire day of the cruise trying to find hotels, or air and touring options to New Zealand or a train tour to Perth or something besides staying in Sydney for 11 nights waiting for the next sailing instead of being able to relax and enjoy that day of the cruise. It may have helped tremendously if RCCL had provided a list of hotels with negotiated price breaks, or contacts of local travel agencies that had open availability of tours to choose from.

Did I figure something out? Yes. Is it what we wanted or expected to experience? No. Am I making the best of the situation ? I am trying to.

As someone impacted by this cancellation, I would just like to add my 2 cents and hope you appreciate our situation.

We were on the March 29, April 6 and April 17th Radiance cruises. I am from Florida. Had this cancellation been a Caribbean cruise out of one of the Florida ports I might agree with your assessment of the compensation, but I spent more than 2 years planning this trip , pre and post hotels , excursions and experiences. The logistics, flights and hotel research and options took hours to coordinate .

Then 1/2 way through the first leg, we are notified the next sailing is cancelled. We are on the other side of the world headed to a town that has a very expensive hotel accommodations rate and no plan for what to do.

Is the refund enough? I don't know yet. I spent one entire day of the cruise trying to find hotels, or air and touring options to New Zealand or a train tour to Perth or something besides staying in Sydney for 11 nights waiting for the next sailing instead of being able to relax and enjoy that day of the cruise. It may have helped tremendously if RCCL had provided a list of hotels with negotiated price breaks, or contacts of local travel agencies that had open availability of tours to choose from. And provided their contact info.

Did I figure something out? Yes. Is it what we wanted or expected to experience? No. Am I making the best of the situation ? I am trying to.

Bravo.

As someone who did this cruise last year and would have been devastated to be affected, I applaud you.

I'd love to hear what you end up doing, and how it turns out.

Is the refund enough? I don't know yet. I spent one entire day of the cruise trying to find hotels, or air and touring options to New Zealand or a train tour to Perth or something besides staying in Sydney for 11 nights waiting for the next sailing instead of being able to relax and enjoy that day of the cruise. It may have helped tremendously if RCCL had provided a list of hotels with negotiated price breaks, or contacts of local travel agencies that had open availability of tours to choose from.

I think you are handling it well and I hope that you really end up enjoying your unexpected plans after all.

I certainly understand being upset and frustrated with the situation.

I happen to also think it sounds like RCI is handling it well and doing what they can. A list of discounted hotels would have been wonderful---but given the extremely short time frame to work in and the need for RCI to notify cruisers, change airfares, line up repairs, etc I am not sure it is feasible for them to have managed this for guests.

DH and I were talking about the situation last night and about what we would do if we were involved, to salvage the trip and not break the bank. Out of curiosity I checked my favourite vacation home rental sight. There were at least a dozen nicer looking one bedroom or studios rentals still available for the length of the middle cruise for under 1000 Australian dollars for the length of stay , with good reviews, self catering (so we would not HAVE to eat out every meal), mostly a bit out of the city but near gorgeous beaches and close to direct buslines into the city. I think we would have spent about an hour online choosing one of those and figuring out how to get from the port to there (rental car? bus? taxi?) and lining that up and then gone on enjoying the day.

We are lucky that we travel enough that I know where to look to quickly find replacement accommodations if needed. Not everyone has that so readily available.

Kudos to you for your attitude! I think people who are at home wishing they were in your shoes just to get the FCC need to stop and think of what is entailed logistically AND emotionally. Even though the compensation is generous, I think the only way anyone will be completely made whole is if they have good (independent) insurance. The other aspect I see is there isn’t any monetary compensation for a cancelled/dramatically altered trip like this. How can they reimburse for the hours of planning and preparation? For a US citizen, it’s not an easy trip to plan or redo!

I’m so glad you were able to come up with an alternate plan, and I hope you end up having a fantastic time! I think your suggestions of things RCI could have done to help are reasonable, and worth forwarding to corporate even if nothing ever comes of them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So where is the discount and what does it costitute of?

Maybe they should get Pesos or Thai Baht so they get a 3000% discount?:o:rolleyes:

This is soooo stupid! :rolleyes::eek:

Why would it be stupid? Did you actually read the conversation? Someone getting a refund in US dollars and having to pay for a hotel in Australian dollars is benefiting from a strong US dollar with a 30% advantage in the currency. Got it?

Why would it be stupid? Did you actually read the conversation? Someone getting a refund in US dollars and having to pay for a hotel in Australian dollars is benefiting from a strong US dollar with a 30% advantage in the currency. Got it?

Not really. Exchange rate isn’t the issue, buying power is. You only benefit from the $1.30 exchange if the item that cost $1 in the US costs less than $1.30 in Australia. For most things it will actually cost more here

Not really. Exchange rate isn’t the issue, buying power is. You only benefit from the $1.30 exchange if the item that cost $1 in the US costs less than $1.30 in Australia. For most things it will actually cost more here

Depends what you’re comparing it to. NY City? San Francisco, probably not so much. The comment was made about how much they’d be out of pocket. I don’t think they need to be. I’d definitely prefer to be an American in AU than an Aussie in NY. Australians aren't adding tips to every drink, nor is a daily service charge being added to your hotel bill

Edited by Cruise Junky

We saved quite a bit on the food while in Sydney for the 9 days between cruises by staying in Apartments and buying our groceries for the 9 days and eating in the apartment.It was still expensive those 9 days but this was mostly the cost of the apartment. There were 4 of us so we split the cost of a 2 bedroom. Murphy and others trying being able to salvage some of your trip, may it be a wonderful one.

Depends what you’re comparing it to. NY City? San Francisco, probably not so much. The comment was made about how much they’d be out of pocket. I don’t think they need to be. I’d definitely prefer to be an American in AU than an Aussie in NY. Australians aren't adding tips to every drink, nor is a daily service charge being added to your hotel bill

Agreed. Prices for hotels alone are much higher in equivalent US cities, when converted. Convenience food may be a couple of dollars cheaper in those US cities (though not top restaurants) but that's not going to make up for the extra cost you're paying for accommodation.

Then you've got 20% tips and extra taxes for all and sundry, so not seeing how it's cheaper there.