Radiance cruise cancelled last minute

A 100 % fare FCC is pretty generous. All the other ships are full so not sure what other alternatives RCI could offer.

For those who are on B2B2B.. cruises, they could offer cash instead of the FCC to offset the cost of finding other accommodations in Sydney.

It is generous, for RCI. But that FCC could be quickly offset by other costs.

They are reimbursing passengers for change fees, but the last minute new cost of an airline ticket could easily double or triple if you are already in Sydney and you have already paid to get there, the money you can't recover.

Not to mention hotel and meal costs could easily be $2,000 to stay in Sydney for a week.

Hopefully, trip interruption insurance can pick up some of those extra costs. Without insurance, this cancellation could cost you big bucks.

I also noticed that one has to book in the same class of service. Let’s say you got a great deal on a business class ticket by booking early. The cost of that ticket is going to be astronomical close in, and some people might opt to fly in coach instead, but RCI won’t pay the change fee for downgrading? Wow.

I hope everyone can find a way to salvage something of their vacation plans. I know how miserable it is...I had a Millennium cruise cancelled for an emergency repair with about three weeks to go. This situation is much, much worse because it’s so close. Many people traveling from North America or Europe are already there or en-route and have to try to come up with a workable “Plan B” while they’re thousands of miles from home.

I hope that between the RCI refund and travel insurance for unrecoverable fees everyone is made whole and has another opportunity for the itinerary!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, we are salvaging much of the trip after all.

Sure would have liked to see New Zealand though. Safe travels.

So glad for you.

Hopefully, you'll still get to see NZ next year :D

Having been on Radiance less than 2 months ago, I can assure you NZ (and Sydney) were well worth the long (and lifetime) trip from Israel.

Safe travels.

I think Royal should offer their Insurance at a reduced cost or cover the cost and waive any pre-existing conditions and allow that extra reimbursement to be applied. It seems like the Cancel For Any Reason would be a good policy to have as this should be covered if the cruiseline cancels the cruise.

This is a reason to have a good Travel Insurance policy.

Well, we are salvaging much of the trip after all. Air 2 Sea really stepped up to the plate and we will make the Explorer TP cruise after all. Instead of the original 5 nights after the Radiance cruise we will fly in 2 weeks later and have 2 1/2 nights instead. No extra air charges.

It's really tough to book international air this close in. We remain on a direct LAX SYD flight in premium economy with decent assigned seats. They really did a nice job with the re-booking after recognizing we were very flexible in our travel dates.

We were lucky, and I know others were not so.

Been following along and am glad to see that you have salvaged some of the trip. You'll get to NZ. You have a refund plus the FCC to start planning for it. If that doesn't work I have a suggestion, we have some friends sailing on the Golden Princess (shh!) from Sydney to Auckland next April and they are giddy about it.

My nightmare story . . . Our wedding was supposed to be on Marco Island over on Florida's west coast. Then Hurricane Charley knocked the power out the day before and we had to scramble to move the entire wedding and all 125 or so guests to Ft. Lauderdale beach. Fortunately one of the hotels had an opening, but instead of a choice between filet mignon or mahi w/mango salsa, everybody had to eat chicken marsala. We are coming up on 14 years and it's still a great story, every time I see a menu w/chicken marsala I think about it and laugh . . .

Sometimes you gotta roll w/the punches. Or the seas . . .

I hope you enjoy both the shortened but still awesome trip and TA and wherever your other travels take you. And IIRC correctly, you mentioned in an earlier post being a former GI. Thanks for your service.

We’re currently on board. Luckily for us, this was the second leg of our b2b unlike many of passengers. Our table mates were scheduled for the next 2 cruises and we’re lucky enough to find a shorter cruise on Explorer, I believe but they still need to find and pay for hotels and schedule transportation until the cruise to Hawaii.

With the exception of a couple of days, cruising for the last 17 days has been very rough; rainy, windy and cold (in NZ). Not sure if that had anything to do with the problem. We appear to be going full speed. There’s no talk of cancelling Newcastle tomorrow.

Well, we are salvaging much of the trip after all. Air 2 Sea really stepped up to the plate and we will make the Explorer TP cruise after all. Instead of the original 5 nights after the Radiance cruise we will fly in 2 weeks later and have 2 1/2 nights instead. No extra air charges.

It's really tough to book international air this close in. We remain on a direct LAX SYD flight in premium economy with decent assigned seats. They really did a nice job with the re-booking after recognizing we were very flexible in our travel dates.

That’s great news! I’m so happy to hear. Have a great time!

Same thing happened on the Millie Australia cruise just under a week of the sailing.

Same compensation. We were lucky and we're able to do the Infinity South America cruise. It wasn't booked solid and many people took this cruise. It is sad that this has happened again. I hope some people can make lemonade out of lemons. As this happened on Friday night cruise critic posted it and that is how we found out.

Good luck everyone Ontario Cruiser

We are flying Jetstar to Christchurch on Saturday for a week.

As it’s school holidays here, accommodation and flights are more expensive.

Australia and New Zealand have only a small selection of cruises to choose from. It’s a growing market.

You often have to book months in advance to be able to cruise.

For those of you looking to do this cruise next cruise season (September to April) start looking now as the ships are filling fast.

Many people booked this cruise as soon as it was released. A couple of years on the planning.

I have done the NZ cruise previously and NZ is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I hope you all can get to do this cruise in the future.

The Captain has his usual Q&A session this afternoon so we may learn a bit more detail then. And even though I was prepared to have the cruise end tomorrow in Newcastle, there has been no talk of that.

While that would be no big issue for Sydney people, many people have flown in from elsewhere and the costs and problems of rearranging those on top of costs for the pax on the cancelled cruise may have made then to decide to continue to Sydney then turnaround and come back to Newcastle on Friday.

But who knows, they could still chuck as all off tomorrow 🤔 so I'm packing today.

My friend was booked for that cruise and had already arrived in Sydney when they received the email. Flying for the US to Sydney is a long costly endeavor. Feel so bad for her and her family.

I currently have friends on the Radiance and it run aground in Airlie Beach. Causing extensive damage to the bottom of the ship and propeller.... not to mention what it would of done to the reef in that channel.

The other thing to note is that the South Pacific islands are still being hit by cyclones with Suva flooded.

Cyclone season is very late this year.

I don't think many people realise our cyclone season is November to April. There have been more cyclones at the end of the season, than the beginning, in recent years.

I feel sorry for those affected by repeat cyclones this year in the South Pacific.

The Captain has his usual Q&A session this afternoon so we may learn a bit more detail then. And even though I was prepared to have the cruise end tomorrow in Newcastle, there has been no talk of that. .

The ship has sped up to 18 knots but I don't see it making Newcastle by 0630 AM tomorrow - still only just off Gold Coast.

Great to hear the air2sea was able to make the changes for you.

I currently have friends on the Radiance and it run aground in Airlie Beach. Causing extensive damage to the bottom of the ship and propeller.... not to mention what it would of done to the reef in that channel.

This seems to be a rumor onboard but what was reported was a Azipod failure. One could be the result of either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Things break and it's not often at a convenient time. Sounds like this happened during a cruise and they are able to complete the cruise. They claim they can use the 11 days to repair it so it may not need to be drydocked. If it does need to be drydocked, I believe Singapore may the closest drydock large enough.