Dress Code for dinner

Kingofcool1947

Another lesson learned. By default if you book a concierge cabin or higher, you get a complimentary bottle of champagne among other things. However, if you would rather have a bottle of red or white wine instead, all you have to do is ask your room steward. For me since my DW doesn’t drink, I can make a bottle of wine last 2-3 days versus a bottle of champagne where once you pop the cork you’re pretty much committed.

Not true on the effervescence comment. A study done quite a few years ago at UC Davis found that not only would an open bottle of sparkling wine retain its bubbles overnight (mimosa anyone?) and well beyond but, also, that capping it with a champagne stopper was unnecessary (I.e., no benefit for bubbles).

Final note: if you like the bubbles, use cheap stemware.

Another lesson learned. By default if you book a concierge cabin or higher, you get a complimentary bottle of champagne among other things. However, if you would rather have a bottle of red or white wine instead, all you have to do is ask your room steward. For me since my DW doesn’t drink, I can make a bottle of wine last 2-3 days versus a bottle of champagne where once you pop the cork you’re pretty much committed.

Glad to hear they are allowing you to swap it out again

Not true on the effervescence comment. A study done quite a few years ago at UC Davis found that not only would an open bottle of sparkling wine retain its bubbles overnight (mimosa anyone?) and well beyond but, also, that capping it with a champagne stopper was unnecessary (I.e., no benefit for bubbles).

Good to know if you are one of those that like champagne or sparkling wine. I love it when a lesson learned stimulates other lessons learned. :D

Another lesson learned if you like to prebook O excursions like we do before the cruise. As of about 6 weeks ago if you have plenty of non refundable OBC when you board the ship, like we usually do, and would like to “rebook” some of your prepaid YWC excursions with it, you can now do so without any penalty and will not get pushed to the bottom of the list if the excursion is sold out. You also get to keep the 25% YWC discount when making the conversion as long as you maintain the minimum number of excursions required to qualify for the discount.

For us this is a nice clean way to launder the non refundable OBC we receive from various entities into refundable OBC.

I have done private studies in my fridge that support that research.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Regarding various sparkling wines of which champagne is the most famous.

CO2 is a bi product of the fermentation process of converting sugars into alcohol. In still wines, all that CO2 escapes and/or is released during fermentation. Not so with sparkling wine.

The second fermentation of sparkling wines occurs inside the capped bottle of the produce still wine by adding sugars and yeast into the bottle and then capping the bottle. The produced CO2 can’t escape the capped bottle , or only in tiny quantities, but is absorbed into the wine. By keeping the wine cool only a small amount of absorbed CO2 is released during disgorgement (getting rid of the dead yeasts and impurities) and dosage, before final recapping of the wine.

The release rate of the CO2 from the wine is temperature variate. As the wine warms the CO2 is released from the solution. So a couple of points (1) if you keep the wine cold, champagne is best around 45 F, CO2 release is slower than if the bottle is allowed to warm to room temperature where the release is accelerated. (2) The release of the CO2 has nothing to do with the stopper in it. If a bottle is warm, yet stoppered, the CO2 will still evaporate from the liquid, leaving less bubbles, but will be in a gaseous State that will blow off quickly upon removing the stopper. (3) therefore, an uncorked previous opened cold bottle will contain more bubbly than a corked previous open of warm wine. (4) The difference in resulting effervescent between a similar cold corked and uncorked bottle of previously opened sparkling wine will be very slight, only having to do with differing surface pressure. (5) The expense of the glassware has only a tiny bit to do with the release of in CO2 in solution. The shape and the design may however affect the pleasure of watching the effervescent process and can dramatically affect the actual taste of the wine. That is a different story however.

Do you mind if I revert to the original topic of this thread? :)

We were in Polo on Riviera a few nights ago. From my seat I saw virtually no jackets but I didn't have a full view being in the center on a side. I saw perhaps 3-4 men in jackets.

OTOH, when the foursome next to us got up to leave I saw that three of them were wearing old jeans, definitely not designer. Now, they were faded in color but not decorated with holes or anything like that. The two mens' shoes were very well-worn sneakers. So this table was not following what I would think of as "country club casual" ... but if it didn't bother the maitre d' enough to send them back to change, it didn't really bother me.

Most of the diners were dressed casually but very smartly. (I have to admit I was NOT in the "smart" category myself.)

Mura

Just noticed that several men were wearing shorts in the lounge for the show. Apparently not an issue. But seeing knees in the front row was not "country club casual"issue.

This just serves as a reminder that there is no ship wide dress code on Oceania after six. It’s quite common for someone to be dressed in shorts and have dinner in Terrace, then attend the show.

Only restriction is in the minds and opinions of some guests.

Just noticed that several men were wearing shorts in the lounge for the show. Apparently not an issue. But seeing knees in the front row was not "country club casual"issue.

I'm sure that there were, and I am equally sure that they ended the evening shivering.

Those show lounge temperatures are geared toward the twentysomethings in costume hair and makeup who are scampering around the stage. :rolleyes:

Mura’s Post exemplifies an important point(s) that I have often made:

1. The Maitre de decides, in each restaurant on each night, what the permissible wear for that Restaurant is;

2. There is often very little conformity to enforcing standards. One Maitre de may allow all blue jeans to pass by while the next one may be more selective and refuse some.

3. Why Oceania management doesn’t choose to train its staff on permissible wear and then have that staff enforce the codes is baffling to me. Most of the issues arise from inconsistency of enforcement.

We were in Polo on Riviera a few nights ago. From my seat I saw virtually no jackets but I didn't have a full view being in the center on a side. I saw perhaps 3-4 men in jackets.

OTOH, when the foursome next to us got up to leave I saw that three of them were wearing old jeans, definitely not designer. Now, they were faded in color but not decorated with holes or anything like that. The two mens' shoes were very well-worn sneakers. So this table was not following what I would think of as "country club casual" ... but if it didn't bother the maitre d' enough to send them back to change, it didn't really bother me.

Most of the diners were dressed casually but very smartly. (I have to admit I was NOT in the "smart" category myself.)

Mura

The ever changing face of Oceania with the “new blood” that they need so much to keep going.

Both Pinot and Paul are right (IMO). I personally would like somewhat more enforcement of the general rules in the main restaurants but I may well be more lenient than some. I did feel this quartet was dressed less than desirably. I wasn't fancy myself! But my shoes were not worn, nor was my attire.

But as Paul says, to get future cruisers O may well need to be more flexible.

These two B2Bs we're on (May 10-25) have lots of younger passengers due to Go Next groups being on board. There were even a very few very young children, who were absolutely no problem at all as far as I have seen. (I had to observe them to know that they were on board. One is a toddler, a very few others were grammar school age.)

I don't know, might the difference be between sloppy casual and some other kind of casual? My office never had Casual Friday -- the attorneys wore suits, the staff also office attire. But when we came in on the weekend, it was jeans and the like. I don't think I'd have liked Casual Fridays myself, but I'd never have objected to those who do.

Which got us off the track again a bit, I guess.

By the way -- totally off the track! I paid for La Reserve as soon as I could. Then several months ago I got a telephone call from Oceania telling me that the date would have to be changed from Week 1 to Week 2. Fine, I said.

Tonight is the night it was changed to but suddenly they have no record of our reservation and La Reserve is full. I was looking forward to trying a new menu.

OTOH, we've been informed that there is a possibility that they can replace our Bourgeois menu with the Connoisseur at no extra charge. We certainly can't object to that if it happens! The Connoisseur is our favorite menu but if it's too late to get us in, so be it. We're crossing our fingers.

I have to say that we have had several glitches, mostly minor, on this cruise ... something that has never happened before. But I don't consider losing our long-paid for dinner reservation minor! The other glitches were.

Back to the original topic ...

Mura

Both Pinot and Paul are right (IMO). I personally would like somewhat more enforcement of the general rules in the main restaurants

Mura

I would agree with you also

The staff should have a strict policy on dress & what is allowed & not allowed

perhaps photos of proper dress for dinner should be sent out with the Blue Book :halo:

Mura

On our Jan. trip on Riviera thee was a sign outside the GD that specifically said NO jeans allowed at night. With the exception of this "rapper" kid, no one (that I saw) wore jeans any where at night. Obviously I can't count the entire ship load of pax, but with the exception of that one kid, no one else had jeans. It was pretty much nice shirts & slacks. A few wore sport/suit coats in the GD. Surprisingly a lot dressed up more for the specialty rest. most especially Jacques. Probably I'd put it at 50% or higher, but only about 20% had ties to go with the outfits. We found the ship overall way too warm for ties.

I didn't take Paul's comment as implying disapproval of "the new blood" at all. We are older. We don't know if YOU are. But Oceania needs to attract younger passengers than many of us loyalists who have been cruising for a long time.

From everything I read these days, younger people (not just Millenials) are more casual in attire and many other respects.

From where I sit that doesn't imply disapproval, and having met Paul in the flesh on a fairly recent cruise, I don't think he meant to imply that either.

Mura

I am willing to bet that Oceania will continue to relax it's dress code. They need to attract younger and younger folks to keep the business viable. Younger people do typically want less restrictions on dress... especially on vacation.

Just an example...I started working at my company in 2001, right out of college. It's a major US corporation. I used to wear suits and dresses to work every day. Always had to wear stockings with high heels. Super formal business attire - no exceptions. At the same company, 17 years later, I can wear jeans every day. Things are just changing. Oceania will certainly be tracking these trends.

I just turned 40 and have been cruising for some time. I will say that I personally prefer a relaxed dress code. I picked Oceania over more luxury lines (like Cunard) so I don't have to pack clothes that are dressier than I wear to work. That doesn't make me less dignified. It just means that I don't equate a upscale experience with the clothes that I am wearing.

I will also respect the published code. I bring the defined required 'country club casual' attire. I hate it though. I hate packing dresses and pants for a vacation in French Polynesia. My husband was the same way...he is a nurse and wears scrubs to work. We actually had to buy him pants and shoes that he could wear to dinner.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I will also respect the published code. I bring the defined required 'country club casual' attire. I hate it though. I hate packing dresses and pants for a vacation in French Polynesia. My husband was the same way...he is a nurse and wears scrubs to work. We actually had to buy him pants and shoes that he could wear to dinner.

I have not worn a dress in many years some nice silky looking slacks or linen slacks for dinner with a nice top works for me

Your DH could wear his scrubs in the Terrace but surely you would want to try some of the other restaurants ..nice Dockers & collared shirt will work fine

I do not see what the big deal is in putting a little effort in looking nice for dinner

I live in jeans or sweats at home but can manage to look smart on the cruise :rolleyes:

I just do not get it

People spend thousands on an O cruise but cannot spend a $100 or 2 on some clothes

JMO

Friends of ours needed a blazer for her DH for a cruise for dress up night (not Oceania) he went to the thrift store got one for $5 ..it was fine for what they needed

She managed to leave her scrubs at home & took a nice little black dress

Edited by LHT28

I can definitely see your point....I think things are just changing with each new generation. I don't even think about clothes when I go out to eat. It's more about experiences - and that seems to be shifting even more with millennials.

Simple actually. When Oceania goes grunge to casual in the Specialties, I’m gone. I realize times change but I still get to decide how and where I spend my money.

Funny things is our children are late 30s and they enjoy an atmosphere where country club casual is a minimum dress code. They don’t believe that a $200 pair of torn knee blue jeans is classy, only very casual. Perhaps it more of a class issue than a generational issue!

It is a beautiful thing that we are all at a place in life where we have choices. We can each decide to move on to something new if the shifts in brand strategy start to move too far from personal ideas of decorum or class.

I can't speak for your kids. I don't know them. I can speak for myself and my experience. I have spent my career working in Marketing, I can say that brands are changing their direction to focus on millennials. They look at the things very different - with the foundational shift to minimalism. Own less, experience more.

So, maybe 'class' is defined by some as how they dress for dinner, but not everyone.

I am confused by your question.

My original comment was about Oceania's future. There seem to be so many dress code threads that end up like this one. So, just trying to give a different perspective on why Oceania might be looking to the future. They have a customer base now with a dress code that is appropriate for that group. But, as time goes on and Oceania needs to attract the next generation of customers, then they might look to market to them differently.

When the next generation is the new customer base, then the dress code might change. Maybe it won't.