Dress Code for dinner

Kingofcool1947

Why would one choose an ocean liner that you have no interest in meeting their published dress code? Why not choose a line that meets your current interests? Some kind of thrill about bucking the system?

I missed where she said that?

We are not of the "younger generation". We are seniors who live in a very casual city so the idea of no jeans at night in a nice restaurant doesn't fit our normal life style at all! We don't consider jeans to be "not dressing nicely", however when we cruise we do abide by the dress code listed for each ship.

We are cruising on Oceania for the Cuba itinerary. We really had not heard of this line before researching Cuba.

My husband has not worn a jacket and tie since he retired many years ago.

He will wear slacks and a shirt at night but that's about it.

So what’s your bet on how long the current standards will last? Will they be gone in 1-2 years to satisfy the casual group? Do we have maybe 5-7 years left or a dozen (12)?

If I can now book two (2) years out I’d like to know if dress code standards will last at last that long!

Should we expect an announcement, much like they did with O Club amenities, that effective a certain date country club casual no longer exists, or do you see it as a sudden unannounced thing we’re we come aboard and the Maitre de just stops enforcing any dress codes and Currents tells us we may come as we please?

Embarkation and first day on board the Sirena. Cuba bound.

Happy to report this notice was in the embarkation Currents:

98C7382D-9D84-47C7-B50E-80E9A7F1B469_zpsjeubt26j.jpeg

Also the Dress Code policy was repeatedly announced over the stateroom TV throughout the day by the Cruise Director.

So, tonight I enjoyed dinner (8 p.m. seating) at the specialty restaurant Tuscan Grill. Excellent meal and service, BTW.

I noticed only two middle-aged men (with wife’s/gf’s) wearing blue denim jeans and sport type shoes.

The majority of men wearing collared shirts, or golf shirts, no ties, sports type leather shoes, leather loafers, or dress shoes. A few men, including myself, wearing sports costs, open collared shirts, docker type pants, lesther loafers, dress shoes. Did not see any men wearing suits or tuxedos. Women wore dressy tops, skirts, pants, or short dresses, high or short heels. No sandals.

Tomorrow night dining at the GDR. And will see if the Dress Code policy is enforced there.

May the Force of the Clothing Police be with you ! ;)

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I am so glad the younger generation moved on from wearing pajama bottoms out in public & pants with the waist down around their knees

change might be good in some cases but not always

YMMV

I am so glad the younger generation moved on from wearing pajama bottoms out in public & pants with the waist down around their knees

change might be good in some cases but not always

YMMV

Yes, but the trend of all generations of the female persuasion to wear Lululemon/yoga style pants as everyday wear is out of control. I've seen ladies wearing these to dinner on Oceania. Now that's something that shouldn't be happening. I'd rather see overalls I think.

So what’s your bet on how long the current standards will last? Will they be gone in 1-2 years to satisfy the casual group? Do we have maybe 5-7 years left or a dozen (12)?

If I can now book two (2) years out I’d like to know if dress code standards will last at last that long!

Should we expect an announcement, much like they did with O Club amenities, that effective a certain date country club casual no longer exists, or do you see it as a sudden unannounced thing we’re we come aboard and the Maitre de just stops enforcing any dress codes and Currents tells us we may come as we please?

I'm pretty sure the sky is not falling.

As Oceania already has a relaxed dress code I doubt we'll see much change.

Charles;

Do fashions change or merely repeat themselves?

This “new” yoga pants thing is like a horrible flashback of the Spandex 90s nightmares! Nothing like a 250+ pounder showing up for work in spandex and a flimsy tee shirt! Our Group VP banned all spandex from the office after that! It took forever for that fad to die and it appears the yoga pants are their replacements! Yoga pants are like sweat pants, they aren’t dressy anything, just a bad rerun!

Yes, but the trend of all generations of the female persuasion to wear Lululemon/yoga style pants as everyday wear is out of control. I've seen ladies wearing these to dinner on Oceania. Now that's something that shouldn't be happening. I'd rather see overalls I think.

OMG yes :eek:

I would not be seen out of the house in those

Charles;

This “new” yoga pants thing is like a horrible flashback of the Spandex 90s nightmares! Nothing like a 250+ pounder showing up for work in spandex and a flimsy tee shirt! Our Group VP banned all spandex from the office after that! It took forever for that fad to die and it appears the yoga pants are their replacements! Yoga pants are like sweat pants, they aren’t dressy anything, just a bad rerun!

They often repeat but not exactly the same.

The general trend has been more casual dress but it is not a given that trend will continue. It could plateau or even reverse.

Also Tech fabrics will make it possible to make pants as comfortable as yoga pants or pajama pants or stretch pants that are dressy. Of course part of the fashion of wearing pajama or yoga pants, distressed jeans is not to look dressy so I expect that there will always be dress controversies.

Charles;

All I can say is, when one of our dishwashers bends over...If I was a Werewolf, I likely would have killed everyone in the kitchen after being "flashed" with a moon like that!

Jokes aside Is it really TOO hard for pax to simply wear a pair of slacks & collared shirt(with or without sport coat) If I wanted to eat at a flea market I'd go eat at a flea market!

Embarkation and first day on board the Sirena. Cuba bound.

Happy to report this notice was in the embarkation Currents:

98C7382D-9D84-47C7-B50E-80E9A7F1B469_zpsjeubt26j.jpeg

Also the Dress Code policy was repeatedly announced over the stateroom TV throughout the day by the Cruise Director.

So, tonight I enjoyed dinner (8 p.m. seating) at the specialty restaurant Tuscan Grill. Excellent meal and service, BTW.

I noticed only two middle-aged men (with wife’s/gf’s) wearing blue denim jeans and sport type shoes.

The majority of men wearing collared shirts, or golf shirts, no ties, sports type leather shoes, leather loafers, or dress shoes. A few men, including myself, wearing sports costs, open collared shirts, docker type pants, lesther loafers, dress shoes. Did not see any men wearing suits or tuxedos. Women wore dressy tops, skirts, pants, or short dresses, high or short heels. No sandals.

Tomorrow night dining at the GDR. And will see if the Dress Code policy is enforced there.

May the Force of the Clothing Police be with you ! ;)

King

Overall a pretty sensible dress code. On the Riviera, there was a sign outside the door not allowing any jeans in the dining venues at night(exception, Terrace)In the 10 days on that ship, only one "rapper" type kid wore jeans at night.(that I could see)The real odd case, was this guy who wore a hat(different one each day!)into all the venues. He had a full head of hair, so it was definitely different. I'll give him credit that each hat was a damn expensive one. I hope the food has met your expectations thus far & that Cuba will be enjoyable.

Edited by keithm
additions

Day 2 on Sirena.

I had dinner tonight at the Grand Dining Room. 7 p.m. seating.

My table was directly in line at the entrance of the dining seating area, where I could observe the runway walk from the Maitre D’ check-in station to the dining area.

For the Dress Code Police, I’m sad to report, I did notice men wearing jeans, beach type sandals, or running type shoes. I reckon about one dozen men in blue denim jeans seen either going in or leaving the GDR. They were all middle-aged to Grandpa type gents.

I did not notice any women in yoga or spandex pants dining in the GDR. But I did see some women in blue denim jeans, and about two dozen middle-aged to Grandma type women wearing thong style beach type sandals. Some with glitter, some plain, but still sandals.

My dinner was excellent, though service hurried.

My meal isn’t ruined when I see someone wearing jeans, but the fact that baseball caps are allowed in the dining areas...that absolutely appals me.

We regularly go out to dinner with friends, he always wears a hat. I’m always tempted to say “Didn’t your Mom tell you a gentleman doesn’t wear a hat indoors?” I guess that “rule” has gone by too.

My meal isn’t ruined when I see someone wearing jeans, but the fact that baseball caps are allowed in the dining areas...that absolutely appals me.

We regularly go out to dinner with friends, he always wears a hat. I’m always tempted to say “Didn’t your Mom tell you a gentleman doesn’t wear a hat indoors?” I guess that “rule” has gone by too.

I have always assumed that when I saw elderly men wearing baseball caps indoors that they were in the early stages of dementia and didn’t realise what they were doing!

If it is done deliberately, I suppose they are embarrassed about baldness.

Hmmmm.....

I don't know, guys.....

Kingofcool posted a photo the other day. I'm zooming in. I don't know if I am reading this right...

Yup, I am.

Sandals are not permitted. Period.

There are no exceptions for women versus men. Or dressy sandals versus flip flops.

No sandals.

So, wearing any sandals (and a strict read would even rule out a peep-toe) would be a violation of the dress code.

Scold these sandal-wearers, immediately!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hmmmm.....

I don't know, guys.....

Kingofcool posted a photo the other day. I'm zooming in. I don't know if I am reading this right...

Yup, I am.

There are no exceptions for women versus men. Or dressy sandals versus flip flops.

No sandals.

So, wearing any sandals (and a strict read would even rule out a peep-toe) would be a violation of the dress code.

That would be complete nonsense. All ladies wear sandals in the evenings. Standard dress. Not beach type shoes, dressy sandals. All cruise lines say no sandals and all mean no sandals for men. Hotels say the same thing.

I agree 100%.

However, the dress code does not say that. So, it would be an interpretation.

How are some interpretations allowed and others not?

Why are all jeans considered wrong by many on this board? Even when the dress code clearly says that casual jeans are not permitted...

What is clear from reading the many dress code posts on CC is that one can interpret the rules as long as it meets one's personal biases.

It's also clear that there are some cruisers who are rather obsessed with what others are wearing. I would hate to be that kind of person.

MarkieMarkNYC- great screen name. Shouldn't you be from Boston though?

It just blows my mind. I was literally told that I lacked class because I suggested that Oceania might continue to monitor fashion trends and changes with future cruising generations. Lack class. For suggesting that dress codes might adapt in the future.

And then that same group goes on the talk about a '250 pounder' in spandex. Their language, not mine. And I lack class....

The no sandals rule only applies to men not women.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for clarifying. :)

I didn’t notice that in the posted Dress Code Policy no sandals only applied to men and not women. It says “guests,” and not gender specific.

King.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

No sandals.

try this

which sandal would you think is acceptable to wear for dinner in the GDR?

shoe A

qrnpku1475228839129.jpg

Shoe B

imbfwx1524550724512.jpg