Is Celebrity's Food inedible?

In this case, the OP has sailed on Carnival several times and RCCL once. They enjoy eating at a chain hamburger joint and a hot dog "food truck on a ship". They admit that:

So what? I'm on a vacation to enjoy it to it's fullest and I can eat healthy when I get home. If this "food truck on a ship" were inedible then no one on the ship would be eating there also. I've looked into Celebrity and it doesn't look like there's much food we like there except maybe that lawn grill. Some well travel cruisers are saying the same unless you book a suite. Even George C above, it's not just one person.

We ventured out and decided to try RCL this past December. You want inedible food then try Voyager. Ugh. Windjammer was like dorm food and the MDR was very poor by our standards. Yes, Celebrity can mess up occasionally but there food is so much nicer than what we had on Voyager. It has completely put me off trying RCL again.

So what? I'm on a vacation to enjoy it to it's fullest and I can eat healthy when I get home. If this "food truck on a ship" were inedible then no one on the ship would be eating there also. I've looked into Celebrity and it doesn't look like there's much food we like there except maybe that lawn grill. Some well travel cruisers are saying the same unless you book a suite. Even George C above, it's not just one person.

You (conveniently?) left off my next paragraph:

"NOTHING wrong with any of that and normally I would applaud the OP for knowing what they enjoy and finding cruise lines that work for them"

:rolleyes:

There are a comments out there saying that Celebrity's MDR food is turning inedible, and I've heard good and bad from peeps on board Oasis. Is this from cutbacks or are people not liking changes to the menu? We didn't love all the dining on RCCL either which owns Celebrity, but the Windjammer was great and we like having Johnny Rockets and the Dog House onboard for lunch. I hear folks talking up Celebrity like it's hot tickets but there plenty leaving for Viking Ocean and Oceania and Princess for better dining.

After re-reading your header, statement(s) and question and posit I now understand this is a bait and etc...

If you read it here on CC, then no need to ask any questions or make statements, right? Have you not read that many of X's ships sail full, as well?

Have you not read and re-read that there are some 'past' passengers here on CC indicating that they are leaving for other lines and continues to broadcast as such?

Have you yet gone to X's website to verify that we do not have the casual fast food restaurants aboard that you may really, really, really desire "...we like having Johnny Rockets and the Dog House".

I Am just thinking out loud here, what is the reason for the post, if one has read it already and know what they want and know that it is not on X? What is the reason for the chiding for something which is so subjective or has to know that food is very subjective? Post to post just to post?

Just thinking out loud and putting in writing as the OP has... Yet I support the OP's desire to ask before delving into ALL the facts... which makes CC so very interesting.

bon voyage

Sorry I've not read all the replies to the OP's query about Celebrity's food being inedible.

The only reason Celebrity is my cruiseline of choice is because of the inedible food. What a great way to lose the extra pounds I put on when ashore- rather than diet I just take a Celebrity cruise! With nothing to eat for 7 or so days you all can imagine how much better I look upon disembarkation than when I first boarded!

Sorry I've not read all the replies to the OP's query about Celebrity's food being inedible.

The only reason Celebrity is my cruise line of choice is because of the inedible food. What a great way to lose the extra pounds I put on when ashore- rather than diet I just take a Celebrity cruise! With nothing to eat for 7 or so days you all can imagine how much better I look upon disembarkation than when I first boarded!

LOL, back to your fighting welter weight of yore?

Myself, I take off a quick 15 or so before the sailing because I know it will be back with a vengeance! Not to speak of the adult beverages which pack on weight for me, also!

As for me, I look like I did several months before the sailing, so no one knows how much I gained back, except the clerks at the store when I have to return clothes purchased for the sailing an no longer fit! LOL

bon voyage

Food is so subjective....and it varies, sometimes greatly, between cruises on the same cruise line....and between ships. We've had good food on RCL and Celebrity. We've also had the worst hamburgers at sea on RCL and we found that RCL served a variety of desserts, all of which were made in a sheet cake pan and cut into squares...key lime pie, cheesecake, etc were all little squares. OTOH, we have been on Celebrity ships where it seems that thee only seasoning in the kitchen is salt to the point of likely being medically unsafe. Our last celebrity cruise on the infinity two weeks ago had both excellent seasoning (spicy food was spicy, etc) and very good food in the MDR. Having said that, there are some reviews here of the same cruise that said the food was terrible. Everyone, of course, is right because they have different expectations, taste buds, historical perspective...or whatever.

OP: Royal Caribbean Cruises, LTD is the holding company that has, I believe 5 cruise lines under it...including RCL, Celebrity and Azamara (the three that are sold in the US). RCL and Celebrity are sister companies with separate management, both reporting to RCCL.

Dude, seriously if you can't find something to eat you like on any cruise ship you've got some serious dietary issues. Celebrity has one of the best buffets of any line i've sailed. The food in the main dining room is usually very good. There's always NY steak, chicken, and a fish (some sailings mix this up a bit) in addition to the 6 or 7 nighly specials. Then you have 3-5 specialty places plus the mast grill for burgers and dogs. There are about 3000 guests on these cruises and one or 2 bitch about the food and those are the ones you seem to beleive. I guess the other 2998 of us the have no real problems with the food are not to be trusted. It doesn't matter which of these boards you read, there will be people bashing the food, from Carnival to Viking to Oceana.

We were generally pleased with the food on our last Infinity Cruise. There were a couple of things that weren't good, and one night they brought one scallop for the scallop appetizer. Literally a scallop shell with one tiny scallop on it. We had a good laugh at that one. Mostly though we were pleased.

At the buffet some things were good and some I had one bite and was done.

We were generally pleased with the food on our last Infinity Cruise. There were a couple of things that weren't good, and one night they brought one scallop for the scallop appetizer. Literally a scallop shell with one tiny scallop on it. We had a good laugh at that one. Mostly though we were pleased.

What, you got a whole scallop. the last time we ordered a scallop appetizer, one scallop was enough for the entire table. Sliced thin it served about 4. It was quite amusing. Any scallop or Tuna appy I order 2 now. If the shrimp get any smaller I may start ordering 2 of those too.

I’ll not go through the ‘it ain’t inedible’ type discussion because I’ve gone on Celebrity......and I went back after my first cruise, and then went back a few more times......24 times to be exact. So I’ll let that be my input on dining.

The only reason I’m posting on another ‘food post’ that doesn’t appear to have turned ugly is one post that said they went to the buffet and ordered the same entree as what was in the MDR and thought it tasted better. My guess is, the waiter took the order, went down to the MDR kitchen and got the entree and brought it back. Could be wrong, but I don’t think they would start from scratch when the meal is sitting there a few decks below. Buffets usually offer what they have set up in front of you, or ready to cook up quickly, not to reproduce what is in the MDR.

Just a thought.

By the way, I don’t go on cruise so I can ‘dine’ at what are local chain restaurants such as Johnny Rockets or whatever. I cruise to try different experiences, including dining. Realize we can get most the same type entrees and so on the ship serves at some local restaurant, but I’m not that interested in going to a chain onboard......even if it’s a Great One such as Five Guys (Johnny Rocket....ugh!).

Den

I've never had a scallop and curry smells gross, so maybe this food is just too fancy for us. I'm more of a meat and potatoes person with too many years of greasy spoon diners under my belt as a former truck driver. Tell me that there's a Waffle House on board and we'd be talking. I'm sure I wouldn't go hungry like TFLG said, but we're just eyeballing what else is out there. That Nancy gal had a lot to say but most of you don't agree.

I talk to folks on Oasis about Celebrity and Norwegian and might have got some of the recommendations mixed up.

We had the same appetizer on our cruise and we thought it was very tasty.....

one of the things I liked about the dining on celebrity was trying different things

I tried duck terrine, crispy frog leg, seared branzino (fish), almond crusted hake (fish) - all things I've never eaten before

On Eclipse in Feb for 14 days. Found the food very good. well presented, tasty and cooked to order. I. March we sailed on Allure of the Sea. I must say, I was so disappointed. The main meat dishes were never cooked to order, every meat dish was over cooked. Most dishes seemed to be thrown todether. I think that celebrity wins hands down in the food department.

one of the things I liked about the dining on celebrity was trying different things

I tried duck terrine, crispy frog leg, seared branzino (fish), almond crusted hake (fish) - all things I've never eaten before

What restaurant had the branzino? My husband and I used to live in Manhattan and ate it all the time there. We love it, but it's not on restaurant menus where we live now, and when I make seared fish at home, I have to substitute trout. Would love to find it on our cruise. :-)

Branzino was on the MDR menu one night on Eclipse during our 14 night Southern Caribbean cruise in March. We regularly ate lunch in Oceanview Buffet, and all evening meals in the Deck 4 MDR. All meals were excellent, and we felt no need to dine at any of the speciality restaurants that we had enjoyed on previous cruises. We have booked Constellation for April 2019, and we expect the same high quality of food.

What restaurant had the branzino? My husband and I used to live in Manhattan and ate it all the time there. We love it, but it's not on restaurant menus where we live now, and when I make seared fish at home, I have to substitute trout. Would love to find it on our cruise. :-)

It’s been an option on the MDR menu on every one of our cruises - have you sailed X before (thought that’s the reason you may not have seen it)?

it was on the menu in the MDR on our recent cruise on Solstice - and it was delicious!

This must be why nancyshaw liked having special meals made in the buffet. I don't eat frog legs and squid and exotic stuff like this. You folks have convinced me that the MDR on Celebrity is positively inedible IMHO.

This must be why nancyshaw liked having special meals made in the buffet. I don't eat frog legs and squid and exotic stuff like this. You folks have convinced me that the MDR on Celebrity is positively inedible IMHO.

the menu in the MDR is vaired and you can get typical stuff like beef / lamb / chicken / fish... as well as duck, squid, frog legs....etc... there is something for everyone.