Is Celebrity's Food inedible?

Since my name was mentioned....

I had expressed disappointment with Celeb on several fronts, the main one being the food in the MDR as we had experienced on three consecutive cruises. On the first two, we persevered, had wonderful waiters whose feelings were important to us.

On the Eclipse the waitress was rude, attitudinal etc.

Leaving food on the plate after a few tastings, made that "inedible " for us. There were many reasons for this, incredibly salty, processed turkey, over cooked, off taste..etc....

We made the decision to eat in the OVC where we were very happy with the choices.

Others did that as well. In fact there was a group up there that traveled with their travel agent, she scheduled a meeting with the maitre d and had their meals freshly made in the MDR.

But who wants to go to those lengths.

So for those and other issues, we decided to try something else for the next few years. We have loved Celebrity for many years and perhaps after not sailing with them, we will miss it and return.

There are those who viciously attacked me for my experience and opinions. Some went on a rampage of accusing me of all sort of things. All false , all malicious. They went to the extent of reading all my posts since the beginning of time, to look for ways to malign and attack me.

So just a word of caution, there is an element on these boards that refuses to allow others to state their opinions , if they should differ from theirs.

Nancy..there's a little flag on each post(upper right hand corner)If someone is nasty, just click on it & report it to the "mods" They will remove it quick. I know it amounts to censorship, but oh well. I've had some of my posts removed by pax & I've removed others that insulted me as well. All's fair in love & war as they say.

If you're strict "meat & potatoes" Applebee's will be fine. If, however, you're more adventuresome (or a foodie like us)there is far better food to be had.

We like Applebees, I won't lie. We've been eating healthier at home with beans soups and salads, and lots of PB&J sandwiches with honey. We just like tasty food when we go out and enjoy ourselves to the fullest. I'm not against trying some new dishes as long as it's not weird, but we like our comfort food options too.

Not everyone was happy with the food on Oasis and we got recommended Celebrity and Norwegian. I got the freestyle recommendation mixed up it looks like, because it looks like Norwegian has both junk food and finer dining.

I have not read all 100+ comments but just wanted to add that we were recently on Celebrity Infinity and found the MDR food to be pretty good and the service to be very nice. Certainly no complaints were warranted. I hope the OP has just had some unlucky draws.

There are a comments out there saying that Celebrity's MDR food is turning inedible, and I've heard good and bad from peeps on board Oasis. Is this from cutbacks or are people not liking changes to the menu? We didn't love all the dining on RCCL either which owns Celebrity, but the Windjammer was great and we like having Johnny Rockets and the Dog House onboard for lunch. I hear folks talking up Celebrity like it's hot tickets but there plenty leaving for Viking Ocean and Oceania and Princess for better dining.

Where did you get that bull?????????????

Unedible- I very much dout it- it may be not longer what it used to be- that i witnessed myself- but enedible- no- you wont get any food poisoning - if thats what the OP fears. I would compare it to medium cored restaurant- maybe a bit less- but still nicly presented- if the understaffed dinning room waiters have the time..!

There are those who "always" say food is "subjective". That's a load of crap!.

Well said. While taste is subjective, food is objective (ingredient quality, execution and to a large extent creativity). Celebrity IMHO does a decent job considering the constraints (limited budget, lack of local and seasonal ingredients, corporate menu, limited opportunities to take on fresh supplies, number of mouths to feed, etc.). Living in Chicago I eat FAR better at home. I typically frequent 6-8 restaurants a week, all good quality (haven’t had fast food or even a chain restaurant - unless you count Per Se/French Laundry as a chain - in years). Even the speciality venues and Luminae don’t compare to how I normally eat - but I still enjoy most of my meals on board (I keep my expectations realistic) and am generally impressed with what Celebrity does under the circumstances. I definitely don’t cruise for the food; I do a few land trips each year to hit top tier restaurants and when I take a cruise it is to enjoy other facets of such vacationing (including sometimes enjoying phenomenal meals at ports, such as recently at Borago in Santiago, Chile).

This doesn't look half bad actually. At least for lunch. :hearteyes:

a649d99e84560d0d2680565dd07bdcba.jpg

That looks like the buffet station they set up for the teens. We wanted a simple meal one night so headed to the buffet. We had hamburgers and salad. For lunch hamburgers, hotdogs and fries are available at the Mast Grill.

I liked the Ice Skating show on RCCL the entertainment was better than Carnival. :cool:

The only thing missing from that lunch buffet are chicken tenders with Ranch or Gravy.

From what you have said in this thread, you're not going to be happy on a Celebrity cruise. It would be a shame to spend thousands of dollars on a vacation and not enjoy it. If you liked the food on Carnival and RCCL, you should probably stick with them.

Nancy..there's a little flag on each post(upper right hand corner)If someone is nasty, just click on it & report it to the "mods" They will remove it quick. I know it amounts to censorship, but oh well. I've had some of my posts removed by pax & I've removed others that insulted me as well. All's fair in love & war as they say.

Yes and I have used it often. Its a shame that we have to. The hosts really do a very good job of trying to keep it civil.

I have even been encouraged to change user names from time to time as there are people who are stalkers and worse.

Yes and I have used it often. Its a shame that we have to. The hosts really do a very good job of trying to keep it civil.

I have even been encouraged to change user names from time to time as there are people who are stalkers and worse.

Don't be intimidated by the know it alls who can't accept the fact that people have different opinions than theirs. If you like something say it but if you don't, say it too. Just because it didn't happen to them, or they have lower expectations doesn't mean it didn't happen. As long as you are the one paying for the experience you are the judge to determine if it met your expectations, not theirs.

Don't be intimidated by the know it alls who can't accept the fact that people have different opinions than theirs. If you like something say it but if you don't, say it too. Just because it didn't happen to them, or they have lower expectations doesn't mean it didn't happen. As long as you are the one paying for the experience you are the judge to determine if it met your expectations, not theirs.

Words to live by.

Don't feel bad. I got flamed for asking a question on the Azamara board last year. I've just decided to ignore those kind of people. This is a good forum for finding out information before you go on a cruise - compared to other sites anyway.

BTW I agree with a lot of what you said. We have been cruising on Celebrity since the Horizon and Zenith were still quite new and today there is no comparison with the food from back in the day.

This doesn't look half bad actually. At least for lunch. :hearteyes:

:cool:

The only thing missing from that lunch buffet are chicken tenders with Ranch or Gravy.

Seriously, and without malice, if these are the types of foods that you prefer to eat, then Celebrity would be a huge waste if money for you. You are much more likely to find the foods you want on Carnival or RCCL. And if you need the gimmicks of fast food chains on board a ship, then those lines are the ones you should stick to.

Nancy, you can also put posters on your 'ignore list'. Then, you won't ever see anything from them, on the forum (well, unless another poster does a direct 'quote' from them). If you're finding someone to be particularly annoying, you can always just 'ignore' them. :cool:

I would hate to go on a cruise and find a generic Fast Food restaurant / coffee shop chain on the ship.... that's probably what makes Celebrity different from other cruise companies

That's what I felt yesterday, but this is just getting ridiculous. Not you but Celebrity.

I bet everyone here has snuck and had a burger at least once per cruise. Am I right? That picture above tells me we're not alone. So if this is suppose to an upscale cruise line then they should have upscale burgers. I've been in plenty of steak houses and never had this problem. The burgers are always gourmet style.

If you folks are going to pay all this extra money and don't want Fast Food options, I get it. But can they at least throw you a bone with something like a Fuddruckers? They got elk and bison for some of you more exotic folks. Celebrity needs to step up to the plate here!

Edited by Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter

All this over criticizing the food? Some of these folks need to get off their high horse and realize that not everything is perfect. You're probably more of a foodie than I am, but if we don't tow the line then they want you off the forum. "Nothing to see here, move along." :confused:

People most of you are being helpful on this thread and I appreciate that, but I've had to flag a couple comments myself. Nancyshaw doesn't deserve harassment just for trying a new cruise line out. :rolleyes:

Just to add, the pool grill has great hamburgers and great french fries. But with the buffet being so good on the Eclipse, you have to have two lunches. Yes I always gain weight but never diet on a cruise. As soon as I get home, the weight will come off and I can be ready to go on a cruise again.

Yes guess I am a foodie. The cakes in El Bacio, to die for. A whole other topic.

That's what I felt yesterday, but this is just getting ridiculous. Not you but Celebrity.

I bet everyone here has snuck and had a burger at least once per cruise. Am I right? That picture above tells me we're not alone. So if this is suppose to an upscale cruise line then they should have upscale burgers. I've been in plenty of steak houses and never had this problem. The burgers are always gourmet style.

Nope, wrong. I’m a vegetarian, and I’m part of an ever expanding group. I’ve never had a “burger” on ship, unless it was vegetarian. They used to be pretty good, now only fair. However, Celebrity has other offerings I quite enjoy and they are always happy to accommodate my dietary needs.

I don’t frequent fast foods outlets on land or sea, and thus do not miss them. But that’s me; you do you!

It does seem that Celebrity is not the line for you.

Nope, wrong. I’m a vegetarian, and I’m part of an ever expanding group. I’ve never had a “burger” on ship, unless it was vegetarian. They used to be pretty good, now only fair. However, Celebrity has other offerings I quite enjoy and they are always happy to accommodate my dietary needs.

I don’t frequent fast foods outlets on land or sea, and thus do not miss them. But that’s me; you do you!

Celebrity will have to make some big changes before I consider booking a cruise. Lots of folks here proud of their diets of snails and curry frog legs. I bet they don't even like that stuff but it makes them smug over us common folks. I'm at least being open and honest and couldn't care less what anyone thinks.

Rather than judging me you could be on my side. A high end outlet would offer vegetarian burgers too. I actually eat black bean burgers once in awhile if I'm feeling bloated, so why isn't this an option? :confused:

The Constellation after it came out of dry dock last year changed the free burgers on the pool deck to pay as go Gourmet burgers with the old style free burgers available in the Buffet. The plan was a complete flop and within a couple of months free burgers were back on the pool deck.

There is a large variety of different foods available both free and chargeable. Some passengers will only go where there is a charge whilst others only go where its free. There are also many different varieties of food on offer with most nights especially in the buffet have themed dinners whilst the standard fare is always available.

What does impress me is that the cruise line seems to cater very well for those with some form of eating disorder, Gluten , free, Lactose intolerant Coelic disease to name a few. Whilst some effort must be nade to ensure that these needs are catered for reports are that once resolved a great cruise food wise is had by those involved. Cruise ships and Celebrity is no exception cater for the very rich to those who have saved for years for their one off experience and all those in between. All in my opinion are well catered for just as are those in the MDR who are happy on a table of eight to those wanting a table for two. IN nearly all cases an individual's wants and needs are met on most occasions. Sometimes the greater majority just has to prevail or those who have paid more get the icing first.

The Constellation after it came out of dry dock last year changed the free burgers on the pool deck to pay as go Gourmet burgers with the old style free burgers available in the Buffet. The plan was a complete flop and within a couple of months free burgers were back on the pool deck.

There is a large variety of different foods available both free and chargeable. Some passengers will only go where there is a charge whilst others only go where its free. There are also many different varieties of food on offer with most nights especially in the buffet have themed dinners whilst the standard fare is always available.

What does impress me is that the cruise line seems to cater very well for those with some form of eating disorder, Gluten , free, Lactose intolerant Coelic disease to name a few. Whilst some effort must be nade to ensure that these needs are catered for reports are that once resolved a great cruise food wise is had by those involved. Cruise ships and Celebrity is no exception cater for the very rich to those who have saved for years for their one off experience and all those in between. All in my opinion are well catered for just as are those in the MDR who are happy on a table of eight to those wanting a table for two. IN nearly all cases an individual's wants and needs are met on most occasions. Sometimes the greater majority just has to prevail or those who have paid more get the icing first.

Wow. I had vowed not to post her anymore because I thought all had been said over and over on the subject, but then you come on board and hit a Homerrun!

I’d save this post and just add it to any of the forthcoming food threads, and all that needed to be said is here....but of course because the supposed subject of a thread really isn’t the point in some cases, so it goes on and on.....and on.

But well thought out and well said. Thank you.

Den