Is Celebrity's Food inedible?

Asking again that we close this topic now as it has run it's course over two long threads? If a poster is convinced that food is inedible based upon another's perspective alone, and has not even tried the food, you won't convince them otherwise. This is just baiting everybody to respond.

This must be why nancyshaw liked having special meals made in the buffet. I don't eat frog legs and squid and exotic stuff like this. You folks have convinced me that the MDR on Celebrity is positively inedible IMHO.

There's nothing wrong with that - and all of us should stop trying to convince Nancy, Cindy and others that they 'should' enjoy Celebrity! In Cindy's case, I think it's obvious that she would dislike the food, the atmosphere, the entertainment, the amenities, etc.

And do any of us who DO enjoy those things really want to share a MDR table with somebody who is unhappy? Or listen to them bitch all day at poolside? No thanks. Which is EXACTLY what I might do if I were on a ship that offered dining venues of a hot dog 'food truck' and Johnny Rocket's.

Food is a huge topic of discussion with any cruise. People have different tastes and expectations. Food on Celebrity is good. MDR menus haven't changed in years. Many are worn and have stains. I have cruised many times and have tried many items. The only dish that I really disliked and sent back was the turkey parmesan. Pasta dishes are not your best choice. There are a good assortment of menu items. You should be able to find something to eat. My favorites include the onion soup, fresh salads, most chicken dishes, beef wellington, and the duck. Fish is good. Ask when they take on fresh fish. Buffet has many choices. I like breakfast in the MDR. Cookies and cakes at Al Bacio are devine. The Aqua spa was the only really bad place to eat. The specialty restaurants are more upscale. Enjoyed the lunch at Qsine and Tuscan. You will not starve. Some of the portions have shrunk. Want more? Just ask and it will come to you.

This must be why nancyshaw liked having special meals made in the buffet. I don't eat frog legs and squid and exotic stuff like this. You folks have convinced me that the MDR on Celebrity is positively inedible IMHO.

There are plenty of non exotic dishes available in the MDR. However many people like to try new things on a cruise that they wouldn't order in a land based restaurant since they know that if they don't care for the dish they can order something else. The MDR experience on X gives both the adventurous and the "meat and potatoes" types choices that will satisfy. When I go to even a 5 ☆ land based restaurant not everything appeals to me on a given evening. That's why options are offered. Choices are you friends.

There's nothing wrong with that - and all of us should stop trying to convince Nancy, Cindy and others that they 'should' enjoy Celebrity! In Cindy's case, I think it's obvious that she would dislike the food, the atmosphere, the entertainment, the amenities, etc.

And do any of us who DO enjoy those things really want to share a MDR table with somebody who is unhappy? Or listen to them bitch all day at poolside? No thanks. Which is EXACTLY what I might do if I were on a ship that offered dining venues of a hot dog 'food truck' and Johnny Rocket's.

Since my name was mentioned....

I had expressed disappointment with Celeb on several fronts, the main one being the food in the MDR as we had experienced on three consecutive cruises. On the first two, we persevered, had wonderful waiters whose feelings were important to us.

On the Eclipse the waitress was rude, attitudinal etc.

Leaving food on the plate after a few tastings, made that "inedible " for us. There were many reasons for this, incredibly salty, processed turkey, over cooked, off taste..etc....

We made the decision to eat in the OVC where we were very happy with the choices.

Others did that as well. In fact there was a group up there that traveled with their travel agent, she scheduled a meeting with the maitre d and had their meals freshly made in the MDR.

But who wants to go to those lengths.

So for those and other issues, we decided to try something else for the next few years. We have loved Celebrity for many years and perhaps after not sailing with them, we will miss it and return.

There are those who viciously attacked me for my experience and opinions. Some went on a rampage of accusing me of all sort of things. All false , all malicious. They went to the extent of reading all my posts since the beginning of time, to look for ways to malign and attack me.

So just a word of caution, there is an element on these boards that refuses to allow others to state their opinions , if they should differ from theirs.

There are a comments out there saying that Celebrity's MDR food is turning inedible, and I've heard good and bad from peeps on board Oasis. Is this from cutbacks or are people not liking changes to the menu? We didn't love all the dining on RCCL either which owns Celebrity, but the Windjammer was great and we like having Johnny Rockets and the Dog House onboard for lunch. I hear folks talking up Celebrity like it's hot tickets but there plenty leaving for Viking Ocean and Oceania and Princess for better dining.

Cruised on Equinox at New Years. Ate in the main dining room for every dinner. Food was very good. The buffet was very good at breakfast and lunch. Ate at Sushi on 5 one day at lunch - was good but no better than our local sushi place and expensive.

We've booked the Summit to Bermuda in May, so obviously, we didn't think the food was inedible.

With 25 years cruising experience with RCI and 2 years with Celebrity, IMO Celebrity's overall food quality is better than RCI. And Celebrity's buffet is by far much better.

I agree with you. We decided to give RCI a try since we get reciprocal benefits to Crown and Anchor but after 4 cruises, Explorer, Liberty and twice on Anthem I have to say the food on Celebrity is overall much better. That is comparing MDR to MDR and buffet to buffet.

I had expressed disappointment with Celeb on several fronts, the main one being the food in the MDR as we had experienced on three consecutive cruises. On the first two, we persevered, had wonderful waiters whose feelings were important to us.

Leaving food on the plate after a few tastings, made that "inedible " for us. There were many reasons for this, incredibly salty, processed turkey, over cooked, off taste..etc....

We made the decision to eat in the OVC where we were very happy with the choices.

Others did that as well. In fact there was a group up there that traveled with their travel agent, she scheduled a meeting with the maitre d and had their meals freshly made in the MDR.

So for those and other issues, we decided to try something else for the next few years. We have loved Celebrity for many years and perhaps after not sailing with them, we will miss it and return.

There are those who viciously attacked me for my experience and opinions. Some went on a rampage of accusing me of all sort of things. All false , all malicious. They went to the extent of reading all my posts since the beginning of time, to look for ways to malign and attack me.

So just a word of caution, there is an element on these boards that refuses to allow others to state their opinions , if they should differ from theirs.

TBH, I’d much rather read a post that states what was good and bad than those that don’t agree so just want threads closed. It’s far more entertaining to read other’s perspectives and why they feel that it’s time to branch out and look at alternatives at this precise time in their cruising life, than seeing the same old ‘what’s included in the C or P beverage package’ post (which I still think should be a sticky) or the port question threads (that used to be moved to the appropriate board - unsure what’s happened there :confused:?).

I can also understand those that post that have only been on one cruise and think everything is absolutely wonderful - they have nothing to compare it to. Even if some pax have taken it to the extreme in their replies, and there have certainly been a few :rolleyes:, it’s refreshing to have read at least some different views about likes and dislikes on the X food scene. Sharing one scallop between 4 comes to mind :D.

This is what happened to us on the Summit 2 years ago. A couple Carnival loyalists complained to us daily, which came across more as emoting than saying anything tangible. They thought the ship was boring, they missed Guy's Burgers, passengers were snobs for dressing up for dinner... Typically they were far less specific, such as: "these people!", or "This is better?" We were Carnival customers at that time, so they viewed us as an ally. It was funny at first and I don't mind opposing opinions, but after 8 days of mostly baseless bitching, it got a bit old.

To the Nancy's and Cindy's out there, if you are happy with the burger joints and special orders from buffets, Celebrity might not be the best fit. We'll take one for the team and eat all the "inedible" food for you. ;)

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I agree with you. We decided to give RCI a try since we get reciprocal benefits to Crown and Anchor but after 4 cruises, Explorer, Liberty and twice on Anthem I have to say the food on Celebrity is overall much better. That is comparing MDR to MDR and buffet to buffet.

We have sailed numerous times with RCI. Some of the food on some of the ships has been excellent while some has been mediocre. Have only sailed once with Celebrity but my experience was such that I didn't enjoy the OVC at lunch every day and the MDR was just average on most nights and fair to good on others. Nothing really stood out apart from Qsine which was fabulous.

I think the thing that drives me nuts more the the odd poor meal is the menu descriptions of the items. It's seems to me they have a contest on who can write the most colorful description that has the least to do with what is being served.

The one I recall was Ahi Tuna Nicoise. So I am expecting Ahi Tuna with a few leaves of greens as a garnish. What I got was a plate of lettuce with a few slivers of Ahi Tuna on top.

Why can't they just say something like Salad with Ahi Tuna if that's what it is.

First world problems.......;)

I've been following this thread and really haven't seen any vicous attacks. What I have seen is a discussion. Some opinions agreed and some disagreed and most wished you well (myself included) on your future sailings, wherever you chose to make them. Just because someone may have pointed out a trend to your posts doesn't make them malicious. It also does not necessarily accurately depict your posts, but rather that person's interpretation of them. Different strokes for different folks. I will once again wish you well and hope that your future cruising experiences, regardless of what cruise line you choose, provide you with a vacation that satisfies you and provides happy memories. Just please remember, not everyone will agree about your opinions, everyone has their own tastes and desires.

I think the thing that drives me nuts more the the odd poor meal is the menu descriptions of the items. It's seems to me they have a contest on who can write the most colorful description that has the least to do with what is being served.

The one I recall was Ahi Tuna Nicoise. So I am expecting Ahi Tuna with a few leaves of greens as a garnish. What I got was a plate of lettuce with a few slivers of Ahi Tuna on top.

Why can't they just say something like Salad with Ahi Tuna if that's what it is.

First world problems.......;)

Agree, with some selections description and presentation are not the same. In a few cases we've looked at what was delivered and said, is that what I ordered. Doesn't look like what I read. :D:confused:

We have sailed numerous times with RCI. Some of the food on some of the ships has been excellent while some has been mediocre. Have only sailed once with Celebrity but my experience was such that I didn't enjoy the OVC at lunch every day and the MDR was just average on most nights and fair to good on others. Nothing really stood out apart from Qsine which was fabulous.

The only thing excellent I've ever had on any RCI cruise is the Kummelwick Sandwich in Cafe Two70 on Anthem. That and free drinks from 5 - 8:30 are still not enough to override the disappointing food elsewhere on the ship. We did not even have a good meal in Chops. Our Celebrity MDR dinners were better than the one we had there.

I can only think of couple of menu items that were not up to par in the MDR. But it could have been my taste. Last Dec on the Silho that happened. Did not rant and rave and bash X on CC boards. No but in 26 days leaving on the Equinox along with others we met on previous cruises. (To bad Ann Marie and Frank can't join us) The ship is sold out I think that tells one something.

I can only think of couple of menu items that were not up to par in the MDR. But it could have been my taste. Last Dec on the Silho that happened. Did not rant and rave and bash X on CC boards. No but in 26 days leaving on the Equinox along with others we met on previous cruises. (To bad Ann Marie and Frank can't join us) The ship is sold out I think that tells one something.

We did a B2B cruise on the Equinox 24 March and 31 March 2018 and in our opinions all the food selections we choose in the MDR were very good and the portions ample. Also the burgers and dogs at the Mast Grill were very good. We didn't eat in the OVC.

Knowing that Scallops Rockefeller were on the menu and they only served one we ordered three up front. If one wanted a dozen they would have supplied a dozen

A dozen scallop shells? No thanks. We had no idea they were running out of scallops until the shell arrived with the one tiny scallop on it. It wasn't even one full bite of food. Like I said, we laughed about it, it was quite funny.

I have seen other people's photos of this appetizer and there were three or four scallops on the shell. On our cruise they just ran out of them and didn't want to remove them from the menu. Honestly I don't know our waiter actuslly served them with a straight face. LOL.

One day Larry. As soon as I retire (or maybe sooner). Say hi to Captain Kate for me!!

Didn't you ask for special meals prepared and served each night in the OVC? You know they probably came from the MDR kitchen, where individual meals can more easily be prepared. I don't believe others joined you doing this unless you were really promoting a boycott and a special pampered alternative.

You're a trooper. It doesn't appear that anyone is stopping you or the OP from stating your opinions.

In the OVC no meals were brought to us from MDR.

We would chose fish, chicken breast or steak and they would be grilled to order right there. It was delicious. . We certainly ate very well. Lunches were amazing as well. I have no issues with any of the food in the OVC on the Eclipse. Cant imagine it can be any better anywhere else.

In the OVC no meals were brought to us from MDR.

We would chose fish, chicken breast or steak and they would be grilled to order right there. It was delicious. . We certainly ate very well. Lunches were amazing as well. I have no issues with any of the food in the OVC on the Eclipse. Cant imagine it can be any better anywhere else.

Then I stand corrected. If this is a normal feature offered, that's amazing. We're not much for buffets, but the OVC is way above average. We loved the Indian options, and fresh Mongolian Wok. We'll keep this in mind for freshly cooked. ;)

Then I stand corrected. If this is a normal feature offered, that's amazing. We're not much for buffets, but the OVC is way above average. We loved the Indian options, and fresh Mongolian Wok. We'll keep this in mind for freshly cooked. ;)

It trully was amazing We would go around 7. Our dinner time in the MDR was 6:15. Which was ok.

It would not be crowded, but you would have to make your order and go about the rest of the buffet gathering whatever you wanted, or go back and sit at your table. Depending on how you liked it done. I love well done so it would take a bit longer. You could ask for more or less spices on it, garlic or not, etc. There were several nights when the maitre D had to ask for staff to be sent up to the OVC because it was crowded.

Having said all that, on the Infinity the grill did not compare to the Eclipse. Often things were pre made and have sat for a while. It really was not very good. I suppose I could have asked for something to be freshly made. I just didnt get the feeling that they knew what they were doing.

Even on the Eclipse, I had to ask that the utensil used for the raw chicken not be used to put my steak on the plate. No problem.

Give it a try and let us know.

There are a comments out there saying that Celebrity's MDR food is turning inedible, and I've heard good and bad from peeps on board Oasis. Is this from cutbacks or are people not liking changes to the menu? We didn't love all the dining on RCCL either which owns Celebrity, but the Windjammer was great and we like having Johnny Rockets and the Dog House onboard for lunch. I hear folks talking up Celebrity like it's hot tickets but there plenty leaving for Viking Ocean and Oceania and Princess for better dining.

We did three 14 day trips on the Eclipse over the last few years. Each year it declined slightly..Except in 2017. The food was so bad the Maître D made the chef come out & apologize for the quality. It wasn't "inedible", but certainly not what I expect from a "premium" brand such as Celebrity. There are those who "always" say food is "subjective". That's a load of crap!. We're in the food industry & own a large food service business. If you're strict "meat & potatoes" Applebee's will be fine. If, however, you're more adventuresome (or a foodie like us)there is far better food to be had. Overall the specialty rest. are still excellent on Celebrity, but the MDR food has been declining quite rapidly. Some of this is declining food budgets(you get what you pay for as they say). For us, we cancelled our 14 day trip this past Jan. & went on the Oceania Riviera. After that trip, we cancelled our 14 day trip for Jan. 2019 on the Reflection & booked a 14 day trip next Jan. on the Riviera. I'm sorry but we do go where the food is good & it's just not nearly as good on Celebrity anymore. The ships are fine, the itinerary is fine, the food not so much.