More fake service dog nonsense

Again very easy to get the required documents

To travel with an emotional support animal, passengers must:

• Download and fill out the required Emotional Support or Psychiatric Service Animal PDF. You may submit a copy of vaccination records in lieu of the Veterinary Health Form as long as the vaccination dates and veterinary office information are included.
  • Upload it to My Trips through the Accessibility Service Request Form
  • Keep completed paperwork with you while traveling

Really only the animal health form and the letter from the doctor. While in the United States it maybe is a little harder to get these items I know I could have both done here in the Philippines within a few hours and less than $60.00 total cost.

Because of the way the Federal Law is written the business really cannot ask any questions past is this a service animal & is the animal healthy. Very easy for someone to fake and if the business questions the person and the business is your it is a major costs to the company.

I am deathly afraid of strange dogs since I got bit as a child. If I see a strange dog I get anxious. If someone puts one at my face, I may strike it or throw it overboard in my panic.

I have two comfort dogs at home trained to keep strange dogs away from me.

I can get a letter from my doctor certifying this anxiety.

LOL

The dog owner doesn't care about your issue or to people who are allergic to dogs. I was attacked by a dog when I was young so I don't trust dogs, I am also allergic to them. That however is our problem.

I am sorry but I find this humorous, what happened to the good old days when people who were old and walked slow actually parked in a regular spot and walked the distance into a store? Or someone that is obese actually had to walk a few extra feet? Of course both of those are me judging based on appearance but I am sure that privilege is also abused. Or because you are pregnant you get a special parking space? The U.S. is the most coddled spoiled nation I have ever seen, and I live here but have traveled to many countries around the world so I am basing this on first hand experiences.

As far as the obese people that you mentioned, did you ever think that they got that way because they have a disability where they can't take those few extra feet? There are many who can walk but choose not to but there are others who would love to walk more but are unable. Don't judge by appearance.

I'm sorry to say nothing RCCL can do about this. The federal law in the United States is very clear. The cruise line or business cannot even ask the reason for the animal. It is not just Cruise lines same thing happens on Airplanes. I have a friend here, another American, who loves Standard Poodles, comes from a very wealthy New York Family. No health or mental issues, but plays the system. His dogs travel on the Airplane with him in the cabin.

He purchased a new puppy two years ago, from the top breeder in North America, but had the correct paperwork saying it was a service dog. Which here in the Philippines means go to the doctor pay a office fee and get the letter. With this letter he was able to travel with the dog in the cabin for the flight and no one could question anything.

Actually, this is not correct. The cruise line or business can ask "what task/service is the animal trained to perform", per the language of the ADA. The ADA is also very specific that if the "service" the animal provides is simply by the dog's presence, then it is not a "service animal", and hence not eligible for the protection of the ADA.

As for airlines, they come under a different law, the ACAA, which does allow "emotional support animals" (those whose mere presence helps the person) to fly in the airplane's cabin for free.

Further difference between airlines and cruise lines is the SCOTUS ruling in Spector v. NCL, which affirmed that the ADA did, in part, apply to foreign flag cruise ships. However, the SCOTUS did find that without a change to the act by Congress, that would specifically mention that all aspects of the ADA applied to foreign flag cruise ships, that the cruise lines' "internal policies and procedures" do not fall under the ADA, so while the cruise line could not prohibit a service animal (but they could prohibit an emotional support animal), they could restrict when and where the animal was allowed to go, and to set standards for animal behavior that the ADA does not.

And, whether or not the animal is a true service animal (i.e. provides a task/service for the person), while there are no legal requirements that the animal be trained in obedience or behavior in any way, the ADA is quite clear that if the animal is not under control, or exhibits certain behaviors, the business owner is entitled to ask the owner and animal to leave the premises.

Companies just seem to be unwilling to figure this out.

It’s not worth the effort. Easier to just let a few people bring their pets on board. Despite threads like this one, I imagine RCI gets very few complaints about dogs on board and certainly no appreciable loss of revenue.

How are they letting these dogs on board??

Because they are afraid of getting sued and the bad PR that would follow, even if the animal is a fake.

If he can't be without his "comfort dog" he should take another kind of vacation. This is from someone who has owned large dogs for over 40 yrs and have loved them dearly but they didn't come on cruises with me. Real PTSD dogs with proper certification and vests aren't little dogs carried in someone's arms.

One of the problems is that you can go online and buy certificates and vests with nothing needed other than a credit card that will clear.

on NOS now and an entitled buffoon walking around w his dog under his arm encouraging people to pet the dog. Not even one of those Amazon vests or pretending it’s a service dog. Got in an elevator w us and puts dog in my sons face. No thanks. Not sure who smelt worse the dog or the guy. Stay home w your “pets” not everyone thinks it’s cute. RCI really needs to get a backbone about this

Oh my god, the horror! I will keep you in my thought and prayers.

Oh my god, the horror! I will keep you in my thought and prayers.

It is just another well intentioned program being abused by people who believe they are entitled. You should be concerned and true prayers are always accepted:halo::halo:

I am sorry but I find this humorous, what happened to the good old days when people who were old and walked slow actually parked in a regular spot and walked the distance into a store? Or someone that is obese actually had to walk a few extra feet? Of course both of those are me judging based on appearance but I am sure that privilege is also abused. Or because you are pregnant you get a special parking space? The U.S. is the most coddled spoiled nation I have ever seen, and I live here but have traveled to many countries around the world so I am basing this on first hand experiences.

When I was pregnant (3 times) my obstetrician had me walk a couple of miles a day. Better for baby and better for mom.

I don’t understand where the pregnancy parking places even came from. Who in the world even thought if it.

Those signs should be changed to “Mothers with 2 or more babies and toddlers”!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going to be honest, I intensely dislike dogs and I hate it when people expect me pet them or pay attention to them. My feelings stem from seeing my 5 year old cousin get severely mauled by a neighbor’s dog when I was just a few years older. The dog belonged to a neighbor who had lived next door to my cousins for years. The neighbor was shocked when the dog jumped over the fence and attacked my cousin as we were all playing on a swing set. I have never been comfortable around dogs since.

Dogs of any kind make me very uncomfortable to be around but I will tolerate service dogs. I don’t want to be around someone’s pet.

Sherri:)

Actually, this is not correct. The cruise line or business can ask "what task/service is the animal trained to perform", per the language of the ADA. The ADA is also very specific that if the "service" the animal provides is simply by the dog's presence, then it is not a "service animal", and hence not eligible for the protection of the ADA.

As for airlines, they come under a different law, the ACAA, which does allow "emotional support animals" (those whose mere presence helps the person) to fly in the airplane's cabin for free.

Further difference between airlines and cruise lines is the SCOTUS ruling in Spector v. NCL, which affirmed that the ADA did, in part, apply to foreign flag cruise ships. However, the SCOTUS did find that without a change to the act by Congress, that would specifically mention that all aspects of the ADA applied to foreign flag cruise ships, that the cruise lines' "internal policies and procedures" do not fall under the ADA, so while the cruise line could not prohibit a service animal (but they could prohibit an emotional support animal), they could restrict when and where the animal was allowed to go, and to set standards for animal behavior that the ADA does not.

And, whether or not the animal is a true service animal (i.e. provides a task/service for the person), while there are no legal requirements that the animal be trained in obedience or behavior in any way, the ADA is quite clear that if the animal is not under control, or exhibits certain behaviors, the business owner is entitled to ask the owner and animal to leave the premises.

Nicely presented. As a side note, even the Veterans Admin. does NOT recognize "emotional support animals" as "service animal."

on NOS now and an entitled buffoon walking around w his dog under his arm encouraging people to pet the dog. Not even one of those Amazon vests or pretending it’s a service dog. Got in an elevator w us and puts dog in my sons face. No thanks. Not sure who smelt worse the dog or the guy. Stay home w your “pets” not everyone thinks it’s cute. RCI really needs to get a backbone about this

Did you say anything or question this guy as to why he brought a dog on board?

There was a cat on our TA with Celebrity last November. Confined to the cabin of course, but a cat none the less...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Holy crap. If we got the cabin after these people, my husband would have a miserable cruise. He is VERY allergic to cats. This is insanity.

Did you say anything or question this guy as to why he brought a dog on board?

I would and I have. This is a subject that truly burns me up and I wont hesitate to question those that bring their pets into public places. As I posted in the last dog thread here.

Although Ive yet to witness it on a cruise, I cant stand people that abuse the system in order to get their PET onboard a cruise ship or any public place pets arent welcome for that matter.. Period. That is generally the case in every instance this gets brought up and it makes ALL of us that have legit service dogs look bad :mad:

I have a 7 year old Labrador Retriever fully trained as a service dog. as well as a trained hunting retriever. When I put her vest on, she knows its work time. She can pick up things I drop, pull me in my wheelchair, fetch things like shoes, keys etc and several other tasks that help me tremendously as a paralyzed individual do my activities of daily living. With that said, Im not a blind man that REQUIRES my dog to be around me at all times and honestly, just like having children, I need a break once in a while. Allie does not go on cruises with me because 1. Its too close quartered on cruise ships, too many people and its not fair to her. 2. Because I dont REQUIRE her to be with me at all times, again, I look at it as a vacation. 3. There are all kinds of hoops you have to jump through to take them off the ship and 4. I try to have to respect for my fellow cruise guests that may have a fear or allergies of dogs.

She enjoys a full week at her trainers house running, swimming and playing with 15 other Labs and is always beside herself happy to see me when I get back.

The dog owner doesn't care about your issue or to people who are allergic to dogs. I was attacked by a dog when I was young so I don't trust dogs, I am also allergic to them. That however is our problem.

This was tongue in cheek showing my distain for people who abuse the concept of comfort animal and my defense for my actions if anyone put a service animal in my face

My dogs have vests and ID cards. Does that mean I can take them on a cruise? No, mine are therapy dogs that have been trained and certified so I take them to hospitals, schools and nursing homes. They don't do a job for me so I am not entitled to take them wherever I want. I have nothing to lose by asking people what "service" their animal performs. It usually makes them uncomfortable if it's not a true service animal.