Would you travel on a cruise ship that didn't serve alcohol?

ilikeanswers

I am not sure what sort of other money making activities they could employ, if they removed alcohol. It has such a huge social aspect as well.

I was just reminded by a friend who was saying in the eighties and ninties she used to cruise small ships she described as floating hostels. It was no frills travel, a bed, meals and sometimes a land tour. No activities, theatres, shops, pool and no bar:eek:. But you could BYO alcohol and sometimes the crew had a stash they shared with passengers:D. Though I guess the fact they disappeared in the late ninties probably proves they couldn't compete with the big cruise lines, so maybe they did need more money making activities:p.

Is this a religion based question?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Nope just curiosity;)

No! We would NOT cruise on a ship that did not serve alcohol! :wine-glass: :tropical-drink:

That upper case "NOT" appears to indicate adamant refusal.

Would this adamant refusal apply even if you were offered superior accommodations, on your favorite ship which had (as a result of management's decision to experiment and not because of any teetotalers or religious fanatics) decided to sail dry on your ideal itinerary, for a very low fare?

In short, is alcohol ESSENTIAL to your being happy aboard a ship?

Would this adamant refusal apply even if you were offered superior accommodations, on your favorite ship which had (as a result of management's decision to experiment and not because of any teetotalers or religious fanatics) decided to sail dry on your ideal itinerary, for a very low fare?

I know that you didn't asked me but for me the answer is defenitely yes, alcohol is essentials if I shall be happy on a ship.

I can't think that it should feel okay to eat the restaurant dinners without wine. I always drink beer or wine at restaurants on store, if I'm not driving, and I want that on a ship too.

A hot day on vacation without cold beer, NO!

I don't care if other people drink but I should not go on a cruise without alcohol.

Interesting number of alcohol-dependents for whom that one absolute essential seems to trump all else: itinerary, accommodations, cost.

Kind of sad.

Oh just stop with the judgement. People like different things on a vacation. I'm an advanced wine student and absolutely love trying different wines from around the world while travelling. Celebrity, tons of fun at the martini bar. Wouldn't want to spend my time watching them make milk shakes. Get over yourself, live and let live. We're not alcohol dependent just because we enjoy a drink.

Interesting number of alcohol-dependents for whom that one absolute essential seems to trump all else: itinerary, accommodations, cost.

Kind of sad.

What is kind of sad is that you are making the argument that the question posed was what is "that one absolute essential (alcohol, itinerary, accommodations or cost)" when that was not the question at all. To repeat the OP's initial posting, his/her question was "Would you travel on a cruise ship that didn't serve alcohol?" I wouldn't cruise on a ship with a lousy itinerary or one where I couldn't get the cabin class I desired or one that was outside my budget either.

Attempting to smear (or maybe just troll) other posters by calling them 'alcohol dependents' is insulting and applying an awfully broad brush to anyone who drinks at all. Do you really think that everyone who didn't agree with you fits the description outlined in red?

The American Psychiatric Association (AMA) uses slightly different terminology and definitions for disorders related to alcohol. The fourth edition of the AMA’s
(DSM-IV) distinguishes between two types of alcohol-related issues: alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence. It describes a person struggling with alcohol abuse as displaying the following characteristics:

• Consuming alcohol in dangerous situations

• Continued consumption of alcohol that results in difficulty or inability to successfully engage in responsibilities at school, work or home

• Development of difficulties with family members and friends as a result of the alcohol consumption

The DSM-IV also defines a person with alcohol dependence as exhibiting several specific symptoms, including:

• Being unable to control the amount of alcohol that is consumed and the length of time that drinking occurs

• Experiencing withdrawal symptoms whenever alcohol consumption ends

• Extreme changes in daily habits because of the effects of drinking

• Failing at attempts to control drinking

• Needing to consume increasingly larger amounts of alcohol in order to become intoxicated

As the explains, the latest edition of the AMA’s manual, the DSM-5, has combined the two definitions into one, now called “alcohol use disorders.”

Kind of sad.

If the question had been “Would you travel on a ship without decent beds, decent food, or interesting itineraries, as long as they serve booze?”, I think the answer would also have been No for most. I don’t think that anyone has said that alcohol is the ONLY essential for a good cruise.

Kind of sad.

Sorry, but your post and the judgemental attitude behind it is what is sad. Your previous post listed a circumstance that is so unlikely as to be laughable. Any poster would be forgiven for not rising to the bait.

Kind of sad.

Yes, I go to alcoholics anonymous each week but just can't break the habit. I guess you busted me and my needs. Going on a cruise is just a ruse to get unlimited booze!

Itinerary? What's that?

Accomodation? Only need a bed for when the room is spinning.

Thanks for making me see things so much clearer.

Alcohol dependant! Gotta laugh!

Heaven help anyone asking for food.... I guess they'll be obese and sad!

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Kind of sad.

If I shall pay lots of money for a cruise they better serve alcohol.

If you mean that the cost should be extremely low, maybe $100 for a week in the Haven or the Yacht Club, I might take it for a great itinerary if NCL or MSC also paid for my airline tickets.

Alcohol is important for the things I enjoy with cruising. Good meals and watching people from a bar are the best things with cruising, I think. I'm not very interested in just laying in the sun but with some cold beers it's nice to do.

... Sailing with ... or aspiring members of the Taliban doesn't hold much appeal.

It is unfortunate that you have chosen to make a xenophobic comment to the conversation.

No.:D

Kind of sad.

Exactly the kind of judgmental and sanctimonious opinion one might expect from Prohibitionists and why a dry cruise would be unappealing. There is no itinerary or accommodation that would justify cruising with the prigs.

LOL How's that 12 step working for you? Rough day? Is your sponsor not available?

FYI - my wife and I enjoy wine with dinner every evening - and our sailaway tradition always involves some special drink. When flying trans-Atlantic, my go-to method is two Drambuies with water on the side - sure helps sleep the night away.

It is unfortunate that so many attention-deficit posters ignored the essence of my post : that it IS sad if liquor is an absolute essential - so important that it trumps EVERY OTHER consideration. Sure, I doubt I ever will sail without a drink --- but to see available alcohol as a sine qua non for any activity is sad.

Rough day? Your remedial reading teacher on vacation?

Kind of sad.

Care to point out all of those posts that claim their one essential over all other things is alcohol?

FYI - my wife and I enjoy wine with dinner every evening - and our sailaway tradition always involves some special drink. When flying trans-Atlantic, my go-to method is two Drambuies with water on the side - sure helps sleep the night away.

It is unfortunate that so many attention-deficit posters ignored the essence of my post : that it IS sad if liquor is an absolute essential - so important that it trumps EVERY OTHER consideration. Sure, I doubt I ever will sail without a drink --- but to see available alcohol as a sine qua non for any activity is sad.

Rough day? Your remedial reading teacher on vacation?

Hmmm, does your sponsor know you drink wine every evening? Is that allowed?:confused:

I've never had a need for remedial anything, however you should look into it, especially to come up with your inferences based on a question that took NONE of your listed considerations into account. Then again I guess your own conclusions could also apply to those who need a 'method' to fall asleep on transatlantic flights. Oh well, each to his own. Night, night now. Cheers!

Kind of sad.

Sometimes what you write sounds one way in your head but other people read it differently:o. Perhaps rather than everyone lashing out at comments one could try by asking a poster to further expand on their comment and to explain what it is they are trying to communicate:D. You can still inform the poster how the comment reads to you (after all if there is a miscommunication the poster should be aware they are giving the wrong impression;)) but there is no need for anyone to get aggressive over badly worded comments. Call me an idealist but I would prefer if nobody smeared anybody regardless of drinking preference:halo:.

What is kind of sad is that you are making the argument that the question posed was what is "that one absolute essential (alcohol, itinerary, accommodations or cost)" when that was not the question at all. To repeat the OP's initial posting, his/her question was "Would you travel on a cruise ship that didn't serve alcohol?"

To be fair while the first sentance is "Would you travel on a cruise ship that didn't serve alcohol?" in the details box I did further ask if alcohol is an integeral part of the cruising experience. Though looking back I probably should have written if alcohol is an integeral part of your cruising experience:confused:.

Edited by ilikeanswers

This is the post which so many seemed to think indicated that I was opposed to drink.

A reasonable level of reading comprehension might have led people to think that I just might have been asking if alcohol was so essential that it's absence would outweigh sailing "on your favorite ship", on an "ideal itinerary", "for a very low fare".

Sad, indeed.

This is the post which so many seemed to think indicated that I was opposed to drink.

A reasonable level of reading comprehension might have led people to think that I just might have been asking if alcohol was so essential that it's absence would outweigh sailing "on your favorite ship", on an "ideal itinerary", "for a very low fare".

Sad, indeed.

I may also depend of why a ship is "your favorite ship". If the reasons are that they have the best bars maybe a alcoholfree cruise isn't interesting even on someones favorite ship.

I loved the Topsail lounge on MSC Meraviglia but should I sit there night after night without a drink? No.

The Haven lounge on Norwegian Epic is also a great place to have a drink but without a drink? No reason for me to sit there.

I also love when ships have a nice pub but if they didn't served beer? No thanks for me.

(I know that there are drinks without alcohol but that doesn't interest me.)