River Cruise Lines That Require You to Book Directly With Them?

Roz

I seem to recall some posts that indicated there are some river cruise lines that require you to book directly with them. In other words, they don't work with travel agents.

Assuming I'm not imagining this, would someone please post which lines require direct booking? Thank you in advance.

Roz

Thanks for the responses.

Never heard of Jerry Van Dyke (except for Dick's brother ;p )

I believe Grand Circle and Vantage are the ones I'm thinking of. I noticed in Vantage's brochures they never say contact us or your travel professional. That may be why.

Roz

I seem to recall some posts that indicated there are some river cruise lines that require you to book directly with them. In other words, they don't work with travel agents.

Assuming I'm not imagining this, would someone please post which lines require direct booking? Thank you in advance.

Roz

Vantage does not work with travel agents. You deal direct with their customer service staff.

Cole

Cole,

I've been eyeing two Croatian cruises on Vantage's La Perla, a 26-passenger yacht. No one else appears to do anything similar. They're not river cruises because you're sailing up the Dalmatian coast, but definitely small ship cruising. There's also an optional add on to Slovenia. Maybe I'll get to see the First Lady's birthplace. ;)

Roz

Cole,

I've been eyeing two Croatian cruises on Vantage's La Perla, a 26-passenger yacht. No one else appears to do anything similar. They're not river cruises because you're sailing up the Dalmatian coast, but definitely small ship cruising. There's also an optional add on to Slovenia. Maybe I'll get to see the First Lady's birthplace. ;)

Roz

We did this cruise and it was wonderful, one of the best trips we have ever taken. We also did Lake Bled prectrip and it was worth it, too.

I've been eyeing two Croatian cruises on Vantage's La Perla, a 26-passenger yacht. No one else appears to do anything similar...
GCT has at least 3 different cruises that do the Croatian coast. I have done 2 of these plus another on a sister 50 passenger boat. I found the GCT boats to be quite nice with very nice bathrooms for a small vessel; I have read mixed reviews of accommodations on Perla. Although I have done a number of Vantage trips I have not been on the Perla, so I cannot make a personal comparison. Thom

I did a land trip with island stay in Croatia. It was lovely, I do recommend the coast and Adriatic Sea. Would like to explore the area more.

CroisiEurope, by the way, has an itinerary along the coast, if you would like to compare, here it is: http://www.croisieurope.co.uk/cruises/coastal-cruises

notamermaid

We loved the Croatian coast (we did Pacific Princess Black Sea - Athens to Venice) and have thought about going back and doing a sailing trip - I have a friend who did that for his honeymoon. Sounds like this is a great option on a small ship!!

I have ported in 5 (Croatia, Italy, Bosnia and Herzegovina [i hadn’t even been aware that they had a coastline - they have a few kilometers of coast at Neum which splits Croatia into two parts], Montenegro and Albania) of the 6 countries on the Adriatic (haven’t ported in Slovenia). Lots of interesting and pretty ports; IMO the sail through the bays into Kotor Montenegro should not be missed; it is the prettiest I have seen (and I have sailed into Rio, San Francisco, Hong Kong, etc, etc).

Thanks for all the suggestions and first hand experiences. Lots of things for me to research further. I wouldn't be doing this until 2020, which sounds like it's far away but isn't. :eek:

Roz

Thanks for all the suggestions and first hand experiences. Lots of things for me to research further. I wouldn't be doing this until 2020, which sounds like it's far away but isn't. :eek:

Roz

Hi Roz,:) I am trying to research what to do for next year:eek:. I know how quickly River Cruises can book up and there are so many enticing itineraries. I just can't decide what to do.

The Grand Circle small ships for the Med cruises are great.

Just an FYI, not cruise related, Grand Circle's sister company Overseas Adventure Travel, does fabulous land trips and often without a single supplement. Yes, they don't pay commissions to travel agents.

I have ported in 5 (Croatia, Italy, Bosnia and Herzegovina [i hadn’t even been aware that they had a coastline - they have a few kilometers of coast at Neum which splits Croatia into two parts], Montenegro and Albania) of the 6 countries on the Adriatic (haven’t ported in Slovenia). Lots of interesting and pretty ports; IMO the sail through the bays into Kotor Montenegro should not be missed; it is the prettiest I have seen (and I have sailed into Rio, San Francisco, Hong Kong, etc, etc).

The approach through the bays to Kotor is spectacular. Our Captain, on the Artemis, invited all 40 something pax up to the bridge for the approach. He and the pilot conducted a very interesting commentary along the way.

Hi Roz,:) I am trying to research what to do for next year:eek:. I know how quickly River Cruises can book up and there are so many enticing itineraries. I just can't decide what to do.

Lois,

I'm having the same First World Problem. :D I'm looking at river cruises and other small ship cruises such as Croatian cruises we've been discussing. At the same time I'm considering a South American cruise from Santiago, Chile to Buenos Aires or the reverse.

I already have back-to-back cruises booked for Spring of 2019, so I'm looking ahead for 2020. I'll have 20 yrs. in the state pension fund by then, so if I retire, I can be more flexible with scheduling, and doing pre- or post-cruise add-ons becomes easier.

These are nice problems to have. Other people don't have that luxury. :(

Roz

Heartily agree with Thom, cruising the Adriatic with GCT was wonderful. Ship was full-48 pax. Split into 2 groups. Super guides--Petra and Alan. In fact next year we are sailing Malta-Venice with them. Pat

I did that cruise too, with Alan! It was great. My Venice to Malta cruise with GCT this summer will be my third on their small ships.

Heartily agree with Thom, cruising the Adriatic with GCT was wonderful. Ship was full-48 pax. Split into 2 groups. Super guides--Petra and Alan. In fact next year we are sailing Malta-Venice with them. Pat

Roz: I already have a Nile cruise booked for 2020!

Lois,

I'm having the same First World Problem. :D I'm looking at river cruises and other small ship cruises such as Croatian cruises we've been discussing. At the same time I'm considering a South American cruise from Santiago, Chile to Buenos Aires or the reverse.

I already have back-to-back cruises booked for Spring of 2019, so I'm looking ahead for 2020. I'll have 20 yrs. in the state pension fund by then, so if I retire, I can be more flexible with scheduling, and doing pre- or post-cruise add-ons becomes easier.

These are nice problems to have. Other people don't have that luxury. :(

Roz

I know, we should all have such problems LOL........so what are you doing in the spring?

Roz: I already have a Nile cruise booked for 2020!

My best friend and her husband did a Nile cruise last year and are still raving about it. They did an add on to Petra, Jordan.

Roz