What broadway play?

George C

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Shake Shack away from the original location is very hit or miss on service and quality.  After issues at 3 locations in 3 states I only go to the Madison Square Park location now.

And speaking of Dirty Water Dogs, when my sister-in-law got married at City Hall in NYC a few years ago, the post-wedding meal was dogs and knishes from the closest cart.  Then a ride on the subway in wedding dress.  THAT'S a NYC wedding.

My best friend who died from Covid last year waited till age 66 to get married.His wedding was at City Hall in Manhattan.Although their post wedding meal was in a restaurant his bride also rode in her wedding dress on the subway.

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My best friend who died from Covid last year waited till age 66 to get married.His wedding was at City Hall in Manhattan.Although their post wedding meal was in a restaurant his bride also rode in her wedding dress on the subway.

A woman marrying a 66 year old man might not be wearing the classic, long, white, flouncy bridal gown which might come to mind.  She is more likely to be wearing an attractive simple  dress — which is the kind of thing tens of thousands of New York women wear in the subway every day.

If she lived in Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx - she chose the logical way to get to City Hall in Manhattan.   Perhaps if she lived in Soho, Chinatown or Greenwich Village she might reasonably have sprung for a taxi - given the occasion.  I suppose, given the age of the groom, that it was unlikely that her father would have been present to “give her away” - but if he had, he might have arranged more glamorous transportation.

12 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

A woman marrying a 66 year old man might not be wearing the classic, long, white, flouncy bridal gown which might come to mind.  She is more likely to be wearing an attractive simple  dress — which is the kind of thing tens of thousands of New York women wear in the subway every day.

If she lived in Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx - she chose the logical way to get to City Hall in Manhattan.   Perhaps if she lived in Soho, Chinatown or Greenwich Village she might reasonably have sprung for a taxi - given the occasion.  I suppose, given the age of the groom, that it was unlikely that her father would have been present to “give her away” - but if he had, he might have arranged more glamorous transportation.

She was 16 years younger than him.They lived on the upper east side of Manhattan.They were subway riders always.

4 hours ago, George C said:

I see tkts live is showing a few plays I would love to see , wonder how full the theaters are that are still open. Obviously you cannot count on seeing the show you want . Really hope to visit in 2022 .

They showed the line at the tkts booth  yesterday...cannot believe all the people. Right now there are 10-12 shut down until after Christmas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mrs f. said:

They showed the line at the tkts booth  yesterday...cannot believe all the people. Right now there are 10-12 shut down until after Christmas. 

Was it a Times Square location, they always have a huge line , Lincoln center location about a mile away rarely has a huge line and you can buy tickets for more than current show . 

11 hours ago, George C said:

Was it a Times Square location, they always have a huge line , Lincoln center location about a mile away rarely has a huge line and you can buy tickets for more than current show . 

Yes it was the Times Square  site but definitely looked longer than we have ever seen it.  We have used the Lincoln Center site.  Luckily I can get a bunch of shows through TDF (theater  development  fund)which we belong to.  Btw...2 more shows closed last night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George C said:

Merry Christmas y’all 

Got a Nice Christmas Present.

Going to see Phantom again with current cast. Haven't seen it for ????? Decades the first time.

Hoping the Health Emergency will allow us to see it safely in February or when ever it may be rescheduled if necessary. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Got a Nice Christmas Present.

Going to see Phantom again with current cast. Haven't seen it for ????? Decades the first time.

Hoping the Health Emergency will allow us to see it safely in February or when ever it may be rescheduled if necessary. 

Nice gift!   

When you see Phantom again after not seeing it in a while, it really reminds you what an enjoyable show it is, with such great music.

We were fortunate to see Phantom (for the first time) with the original Broadway cast, at the very beginning of the run.  One of those unforgettable theatre evenings.

I hope you do get to see it in February!

Seeing a number of shows have closed over the last few days, at least influenced by COVID. I'd had a little interest in seeing "Jagged Little Pill", but it's closed. Waitress has closed. And looks like a few others. I tend to assume this gets pretty complicated. If the show wasn't expected to make up its losses once it reopens, it's probably best not to incur the costs of reopening. And I wonder if their contracts include "force majeure" clauses that make it easier to break contracts now than later. It's still sad, though!

Still planning to be in Manhattan next month, but we'll probably have to work harder for things to do!

• Like 1

Broadway is figuring out how to live with COVID. Part of it is having an understudy go on. Unless it’s a “big star” being replaced i.e. Hugh Jackman, you will still have the full Broadway experience. 

Also don’t underestimate an experience at the Metropolitan Opera. There is a teleprompter at each seat, so dont worry if you don’t understand the language. The scenery and costumes and extravagant staging makes it worth while. For the Met everyone needs to have full vaccination status including a booster. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

Also don’t underestimate an experience at the Metropolitan Opera. There is a teleprompter at each seat, so dont worry if you don’t understand the language. The scenery and costumes and extravagant staging makes it worth while. For the Met everyone needs to have full vaccination status including a booster. 

We enjoy the Met and the experience. The seat translator  is a wonderful invention all use. Also in several languages you can select. Will be experiencing it on Wednesday.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

There is a teleprompter at each seat, so dont worry if you don’t understand the language.

4 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We enjoy the Met and the experience. The seat translator  is a wonderful invention all use. Also in several languages you can select.

I hadn't heard of this before, and just looked it up given your mentions.  It seems like fabulous technology.  From the images I saw, it looks like you only see a few lines of text at a time; I wonder if folks find themselves looking down at the seat back in front too much though.   Would love to hear personal experiences, it certainly sounds great.

On 12/23/2021 at 12:06 PM, George C said:

I see tkts live is showing a few plays I would love to see , wonder how full the theaters are that are still open. Obviously you cannot count on seeing the show you want . Really hope to visit in 2022 .

Just spent the holiday weekend in NYC.  We had a voucher that we turned into tix for Caroline or Change before we went down, then went to TKTS right after it opened on Thursday and got:

5PM American Utopia (8th row)

7PM To Kill A Mockingbird (15th row)

2PM Friday Company (7th row)

All Center orchestra or on the side aisle.  There was zero line at TKTS

Caroline was at 2PM Thursday, we had 35 minutes to get from there (54th street) to Utopia on 44th, we got there to find it had been canceled, so we had dinner and saw TKAM at 7PM (we would have had 20 minutes between Utopia and TKAM had it played, but they were 1 block apart).  Company on Friday went off as planned.

All 3 shows were excellent.  Caroline wasn't very full, the others were fuller but not capacity.  Thrilled to get such good seats for 1/2 price, but sad that they were available and no demand at the booths.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

On the news it said,, Beginning  January 17th,  the Metropolitan  Opera will require booster shots....think they mean people coming in.

We Got The News For This Coming Opera and Tosca coming up

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I hadn't heard of this before, and just looked it up given your mentions.  It seems like fabulous technology.  From the images I saw, it looks like you only see a few lines of text at a time; I wonder if folks find themselves looking down at the seat back in front too much though.   Would love to hear personal experiences, it certainly sounds great.

It was invented by a 12 year old.

We use it along with many others around us and you learn to adapt to it. It is close to the ledge of the seat so you can look up and still see the stage. The lettering is just right to glance at it.

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Just spent the holiday weekend in NYC.  We had a voucher that we turned into tix for Caroline or Change before we went down, then went to TKTS right after it opened on Thursday and got:

5PM American Utopia (8th row)

7PM To Kill A Mockingbird (15th row)

2PM Friday Company (7th row)

All Center orchestra or on the side aisle.  There was zero line at TKTS

Caroline was at 2PM Thursday, we had 35 minutes to get from there (54th street) to Utopia on 44th, we got there to find it had been canceled, so we had dinner and saw TKAM at 7PM (we would have had 20 minutes between Utopia and TKAM had it played, but they were 1 block apart).  Company on Friday went off as planned.

All 3 shows were excellent.  Caroline wasn't very full, the others were fuller but not capacity.  Thrilled to get such good seats for 1/2 price, but sad that they were available and no demand at the booths.

Would love to see “to kill a mockingbird “ we have had good luck with tkts, we have a tkts gift card. Any interesting restaurants? Did they sell drinks at the theaters. Thanks for info.

21 hours ago, George C said:

Would love to see “to kill a mockingbird “ we have had good luck with tkts, we have a tkts gift card. Any interesting restaurants? Did they sell drinks at the theaters. Thanks for info.

No drinks or food at any of the theaters and ushers going down the aisles every 7-10 minutes to check on masks.  Didn't see a single person warned as there was no need.

Most area restaurants were open.  "Interesting" is different for everyone.  We didn't have much time so we picked an old favorite for dinner between shows, 5 Napkin Burger, which isn't far from the theaters

• Like 1