Oceania dress code

islandwoman

I know that Oceania recommends (or requires?) "Country Club Casual". My question is, does that apply only to the dining rooms in the evening, or does it mean all over the ship 24/7? In other words, can I wear a T-shirt or turtleneck, shorts, and sandals or flip-flops around the ship? Where do Island shirts fit into the dress code?

I would like to say the whole ship but it is probably not

Most people will be dressed for dinner in the recommend dress code

during the day shorts T's & flip flops are fine

I know that Oceania recommends (or requires?) "Country Club Casual". My question is, does that apply only to the dining rooms in the evening, or does it mean all over the ship 24/7? In other words, can I wear a T-shirt or turtleneck, shorts, and sandals or flip-flops around the ship? Where do Island shirts fit into the dress code?

If, by "Island" shirts, you mean Aloha or Bula shirts, of course something like a vintage Reyn Spooner would be perfect for dinner. Even contemporary tommy Bahama shirts work. Around the ship otherwise, weather appropriate "beach" wear works for daytime activities.

. Around the ship otherwise, weather appropriate "beach" wear works for daytime activities.

This could be a bit misleading.

I consider bathing suits “beach” appropriate wear (for both men and women) but it is only suitable for the swimming pool and not for all daytime activities.

This could be a bit misleading.

I consider bathing suits “beach” appropriate wear (for both men and women) but it is only suitable for the swimming pool and not for all daytime activities.

Well, bathing suits are often in the Waves grill area and, of course, at the Waves Bar since they are both adjacent to the pool and sun deck and folks go back and forth. I also often see women in the Terrace Grill in bathing suits with a cover up of some sort. Doesn't seem to bother anyone (except maybe the self appointed clothing police ;))

What you propose is perfectly acceptable/common/normal all over the ship in the daytime and is permitted in the Terrace in the evening. Standards do seem to vary with the area of the cruise. Much more casual in the tropics and a bit more "restrained" in Northern Europe. But overall, expect to see many people dressed like you and some perhaps a bit more formal.

same as on any destination

Long pants & collared shirt for men for dinner dress slacks or skirt with nice top or dress for women

No flip flops, shorts, bathing suits in the dining venues for dinner except the TERRACE you can wear shorts for dinner there

No swimwear in the GDR or Terrace for lunch or afternoon tea

it is just common sense

Edited by LHT28

In answer to your original question, I don't believe there is a requirement shipwide in the evening for what you wear. In warm temps it's quite common to see people in Martinis or in the Terrace or Horizons, or out on the pool deck in less than evening wear.

Many ships do have a restriction on this. Oceania doesn't. Some people think there is a certain decorum to be observed.

The rules are printed on the web site. If you do break the rules, you shouldn't but you should have a little class and respect for others cruising with you. One of the reason I enjoy "O" and Regent is the dress is relaxed but most people do it right and look nice at night.

The rules are printed on the web site. If you do break the rules, you shouldn't but you should have a little class and respect for others cruising with you. One of the reason I enjoy "O" and Regent is the dress is relaxed but most people do it right and look nice at night.

So true. Common sense and a "floater" of decorum keeps thing just the way we like it.

I'm wondering about the dress standards on a Caribbean cruise, specifically from Miami to Cuba.

On my first O cruise, to Cuba, passengers in the GDR and specialty restaurants were dressed up more than "country club casual." Not formal, but what you'd wear to a nice restaurant. I didn't pack anything but country club casual so mostly ate dinner in the buffet. Now I know better for the next cruise.

Hmm? In our city what folks wear to nice restaurants is probably less than country club casual! IF you are allowed to wear that at night why bring more formal clothes just because others have done so?

Are you saying that most men wore jackets at night or just dress shirts and slacks instead of golf shirts??

DH hasn't worn anything more formal than a guyabera and slacks since he retired. I would hope that he would be able to be comfy during our Cuba cruise in that sort of clothing.

I just read on another thread that men cannot wear jeans at night to dinner.

Is that a rule or just something that the dress code "police" have decided???

Hmm? In our city what folks wear to nice restaurants is probably less than country club casual! IF you are allowed to wear that at night why bring more formal clothes just because others have done so?

Are you saying that most men wore jackets at night or just dress shirts and slacks instead of golf shirts??

DH hasn't worn anything more formal than a guyabera and slacks since he retired. I would hope that he would be able to be comfy during our Cuba cruise in that sort of clothing.

he will be fine

Most men wear a collared shirt with nice slacks like Dockers some will wear Jackets you will even see suits with & without ties, Tommy Bahama type shirts on Carribean cruises

a collared shirt like a polo or dress shirts will be fine

he will be fine

Most men wear a collared shirt with nice slacks like Dockers some will wear Jackets you will even see suits with & without ties, Tommy Bahama type shirts on Carribean cruises

a collared shirt like a polo or dress shirts will be fine

Did not see Dockers and polo shirts in GDR or specialties....suits (some without jackets) with or without ties for men. Women in nice dresses or pants/blouses, many with nice jewelry. This is fine (I'm used to this on Princess and Celebrity)....it was just a surprise since this style of dress didn't match my definition of "country club casual."

Funny , but for me "nice jewelry" goes with every outfit even shorts!!

NO one here would ever wear a suit and tie to a nice restaurant except maybe if it was for a wedding.

I will warn DH that he may be the only one not wearing a jacket but as long as they let him into the dining room or the other restaurants we'll be OK>

Did not see Dockers and polo shirts in GDR or specialties....suits (some without jackets) with or without ties for men. Women in nice dresses or pants/blouses, many with nice jewelry. This is fine (I'm used to this on Princess and Celebrity)....it was just a surprise since this style of dress didn't match my definition of "country club casual."

I don’t usually respond to the hundred or so dress code threads, but I just had to respond....I have seen you repeat the stmt of country club casual a couple of times, but in the Oceania FAQ’s for evening, and appropriate dress, it states:

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM.

Googling elegant casual resort wear, gives quite a few examples, of pant suits, fancy sundress, slacks, etc for women, and lists men’s also.

So I am unsure where the country club casual comes in for evening?

Funny , but for me "nice jewelry" goes with every outfit even shorts!!

NO one here would ever wear a suit and tie to a nice restaurant except maybe if it was for a wedding.

I will warn DH that he may be the only one not wearing a jacket but as long as they let him into the dining room or the other restaurants we'll be OK>

there will be many without jackets ..he will not be alone

DH has some nice navy Dockers that he wears they look like a nice dress pant

Thanks for all the information.

When people start putting together words like "elegant" and "casual" that do not belong together(and are kind of opposites) it is no wonder that there is confusion??

Suits, jackets and ties certainly could be elegant but in no dictionary would you see them under "casual".

New terms like "casual elegant" make absolutely no sense!

We will manage to put together some outfits that won't make people gawk.

It should be an interesting experience!

I wonder if we'll have some "stupidly/intelligent"conversations about it(LOL)

New terms like "casual elegant" make absolutely no sense!

I don’t necessarily agree with this statement.

Just an example, a nice Tommy Bahamas shirt can be both casual and elegant at the same time (as well as cost a pretty penny :D).

there will be many without jackets ..he will not be alone

To confirm what you said, I've never worn a jacket on "O" or any other cruise line with a similar dress code. In fact I will no longer sail on a cruise line that requires men to wear a jacket, even if it's for only one or two nights of the cruise.

My daily dress at dinner in the dining room or a specialty is khakis with a polo shirt or sport shirt and many men I see are wearing the same.

I could care less about what the fashion police think or whether 99.9% of the other men are wearing jackets (which of course isn't true). I'm following the dress code and I'm perfectly comfortable with my choice.

O's dress code is simple and straightforward. It's as easy to follow as any I've seen. Why people create false nuances and interpretations is beyond me.

Edited by njhorseman

To confirm what you said, I've never worn a jacket on "O" or any other cruise line with a similar dress code. In fact I will no longer sail on a cruise line that requires men to wear a jacket, even if it's for only one or two nights of the cruise.

My daily dress at dinner in the dining room or a specialty is khakis with a polo shirt or sport shirt and many men I see are wearing the same.

I could care less about what the fashion police think or whether 99.9% of the other men are wearing jackets (which of course isn't true). I'm following the dress code and I'm perfectly comfortable with my choice.

O's dress code is simple and straightforward. It's as easy to follow as any I've seen. Why people create false nuances and interpretations is beyond me.

We just returned from a longer Oceania cruise and I saw jeans in the MDR at dinner a few times. It startled me as I was assuming they were firm about that rule. I guess not.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Forums mobile app

Dooleygeo we saw the same thing on the Barcelona to Barcelona trip that ended 4/21. We also saw some of the worst dress men in the GDR that we have ever seen( this was our 5th cruise). Men had on nice jackets with boat shoes or dockers that looked as though they were ages old. At first we were giving people the benefit of the doubt and maybe they had lost luggage but we saw people dressed really bad. I could go on and on about the dress code but it wouldn't make any difference.

Edited by Zandarr
left out a word

This is "much ado about nothing". I have learned that what other people do and wear on vacation is their business, I am there to enjoy myself, not concern myself with this superficial craziness. If they violate the hotel or cruise policy, it is up to them to do something about it, not mine. I wish people would move on from this topic.