Cutbacks and nickel and diming

geckoaz Thank you for your review, we been cruising RC newer larger ships the past two and half years and going back and fourth in our minds should we go on the Breeze?

How was the food in the lunch buffet? Did you find there were plenty of choices, is there still a daily meat carving and was the food good?

Have you tried the late night pizza, our past experiences with Carnival pizza is standing on long lines waiting for them to make the pizza and nothing else to eat past 10:30pm, I gather this remains the same? (we don't sit in our room to wait for room service)

geckoaz Thank you for your review, we been cruising RC newer larger ships the past two and half years and going back and fourth in our minds should we go on the Breeze?

How was the food in the lunch buffet? Did you find there were plenty of choices, is there still a daily meat carving and was the food good?

Have you tried the late night pizza, our past experiences with Carnival pizza is standing on long lines waiting for them to make the pizza and nothing else to eat past 10:30pm, I gather this remains the same? (we don't sit in our room to wait for room service)

Lido lunch food was good. There was a carving station. We ate lots of guys burgers (you can ask for veggie burger) and tacos. We only ate in lido for dinner once. There was ham and flat iron steaks. Late night pizza was never too long. Only a few folks the last time. Some nights the deli is open untill 11 pm good sandwiches and hot dogs. Breeze is our favorite ship. First time i cruised out of galveston. But did not see nickle dime.

Since you brought up "cutbacks", here's something I've thought about. I know I'm not in the minority when I say that the Playlist Productions are basically crap. Obviously, Carnival is doing what they can (whether we like it or not) to keep cruise fares affordable for the average family. However, I would not be too upset if Carnival raised their prices a few dollars per person in order to afford a live band and some better entertainment in the theater. I don't care about not having chocolates on my pillow. They weren't that good any way. I don't care one way or the other about having or not having tablecloths in the MDR. But I do miss having a live band and good entertainment in the theater.

totally agree.

Since you brought up "cutbacks", here's something I've thought about. I know I'm not in the minority when I say that the Playlist Productions are basically crap. Obviously, Carnival is doing what they can (whether we like it or not) to keep cruise fares affordable for the average family. However, I would not be too upset if Carnival raised their prices a few dollars per person in order to afford a live band and some better entertainment in the theater. I don't care about not having chocolates on my pillow. They weren't that good any way. I don't care one way or the other about having or not having tablecloths in the MDR. But I do miss having a live band and good entertainment in the theater.

Have you seen the shows on the Vista or Horizon?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am on Carnival Horizon transatlantic and there is a small late night buffet at 11:30-1AM Some salads, sandwiches, hot dogs, cookies, a few other things I can't remember. Only went once so far. Only been on 5 nights so far. The pizza is delicious. 4 or 5 choices of pizza.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

I am on Carnival Horizon transatlantic

Are you participating in the Cheers program? If so, are they including the new homemade lemonade from the smokehouse BBQ that is 5.95? They recently excluded the fresh squeezed OJ from the Havana Bar, so I was curious about this new item. Thanks.

I dont mind the nickle and dime. Always been fine with the way NCL does it. Plenty of 'for fee' things that we dont use anyway, so you have to figure it facilitates the overall per head price to remain similar is it was 10-20 years ago.

Also, with NCL for example, their unlimited drinks deal actually LOWERS our overall cost. So the nickle and dime is not always a negative. Cutbacks, yes, but again a good portion of those effected us very little. Everyone is going to be different as to what they consider 'important'.

A cutback that saves the company more money than the end of free room service and pillow mints is mostly invisible to passengers.

That is the Vista class ships. As they come online, Horizon just launched and Panorama scheduled for the next calendar year are paired with the disposition of two smaller ships each. Passenger count is rising by about 3% per ship added, but a lot less people are needed to run one Vista v. the sum of the smaller vessels being removed from the fleet. To Carnivals credit, they are not laying off anyone, just allowing normal attrition to adjust staffing needs.

I agree but you ought to have heard all the bitching and moaning here when they removed those chocolates.

Long ago, when they had the midnight buffets on every cruise, it was the same story. Lots of people would come, take lots of pics and eat very little. Huge waste of food and IMO, that is one of the primary reasons for finally getting rid of them (I'm surprised to hear they still have them on the Journey cruises but I haven't taken one......as of yet).

The midnight buffet is definitely worth the visit, especially if it's towards the end of your journey cruise, when everyone is coughing and sneezing on each other, and shoulder to shoulder like sardines. You might not take any of the food, but you won't get back to your cabin empty handed... :eek:

We actually saw a woman sneeze into your hands, and then grab jello without using the tongs. The crew member at that station just looked at us and laughed.

A cutback that saves the company more money than the end of free room service and pillow mints is mostly invisible to passengers.

That is the Vista class ships. As they come online, Horizon just launched and Panorama scheduled for the next calendar year are paired with the disposition of two smaller ships each. Passenger count is rising by about 3% per ship added, but a lot less people are needed to run one Vista v. the sum of the smaller vessels being removed from the fleet. To Carnivals credit, they are not laying off anyone, just allowing normal attrition to adjust staffing needs.

A move from smaller to larger ships is certainly not invisible to passengers. I agree there is economy of scale with the larger ships but there is a downside as well. Larger ships have limitations where they can go, and just like visiting a larger city vs. a smaller one, it just feels different.

A move from smaller to larger ships is certainly not invisible to passengers. I agree there is economy of scale with the larger ships but there is a downside as well. Larger ships have limitations where they can go, and just like visiting a larger city vs. a smaller one, it just feels different.
The downside that you mention is for those cruisers that prefer the smaller ships, which you obviously do from your signature as well as previous posts on different threads about your preference. Larger ships can be and are the destination for many cruisers. If the cruise to nowhere was still allowed and a cruise line sailed their newest state of the art ship in the ocean for a week to ten days and never visited a single port, I would be on it as well as many other cruisers who consider the ship as the destination. The only alternative I have at this point is to sail on the newest ships available, and that is why my next 4 are on the Horizon twice, the Bliss and the Edge.

If the cruise to nowhere was still allowed and a cruise line sailed their newest state of the art ship in the ocean for a week to ten days and never visited a single port, I would be on it as well as many other cruisers who consider the ship as the destination.

You would like RCCL or an AI land resort.

The ship, for me, is not a destination. It is a floating hotel that moves to the destinations. Also, the sea itself is a destination, but not the ship. It's just a hotel.

The trend seems to be to transform the hotel to be like the Contemporary Resort at Disney World... connected by monorail to all the activities and restaurants, etc. I realize the trend would not be happening if a lot of people did not want it. I just hope there are enough folks like me left who want a more basic cruise experience.

Regarding cruise to nowhere, if you are going on cruise #30 and have already explored every Caribbean port there is to explore, maybe staying on the ship would be fine. However, there are still lots of other ports around the world to explore on a cruise. More expensive to get to, for sure, but worth a look, unless the objective is to cruise from Florida where it does not require a plane ticket and is cheapest.

I just can't see myself not choosing a cruise based on the ports, or enjoying a cruise to nowhere nearly as much as a cruise to somewhere.

I am on Carnival Horizon transatlantic and there is a small late night buffet at 11:30-1AM Some salads, sandwiches, hot dogs, cookies, a few other things I can't remember. Only went once so far. Only been on 5 nights so far. The pizza is delicious. 4 or 5 choices of pizza.

Technically, from what I've heard, your pizza choices are up to you. Even if it is not listed, they will make it for you, so long as they have the toppings. So you can mix and match toppings from the menu options.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

You would like RCCL or an AI land resort.

The ship, for me, is not a destination. It is a floating hotel that moves to the destinations. Also, the sea itself is a destination, but not the ship. It's just a hotel.

The trend seems to be to transform the hotel to be like the Contemporary Resort at Disney World... connected by monorail to all the activities and restaurants, etc. I realize the trend would not be happening if a lot of people did not want it. I just hope there are enough folks like me left who want a more basic cruise experience.

Regarding cruise to nowhere, if you are going on cruise #30 and have already explored every Caribbean port there is to explore, maybe staying on the ship would be fine. However, there are still lots of other ports around the world to explore on a cruise. More expensive to get to, for sure, but worth a look, unless the objective is to cruise from Florida where it does not require a plane ticket and is cheapest.

I just can't see myself not choosing a cruise based on the ports, or enjoying a cruise to nowhere nearly as much as a cruise to somewhere.

For me, being on vacation is a destination! Lol

Put me on a cruise to nowhere, set me up at a hotel, take me to Mexico, just let me spend several days not worrying about anything but having a good time and relaxing and I will be happy ... So long as it is warm [emoji12][emoji4]

We still exclusively sail out of Galveston (live in the Houston area). The only Caribbean cruise we haven't been on is Bahamas. I don't see us cruising the Mediterranean or anywhere else really until my kids are grown and gone (the youngest in about 13 years and 3 months). So until then, we will happily visit the same ports on repeat. There is always something new to see and experience. (That said, my mil is planning to take us on an Alaskan cruise next summer, which I am very much looking forward to).

Sent from my LG-H872 using Forums mobile app

The ship is in the destination port(s) for less time than it's not. I'd say that cruising isn't for you. You'd be better off flying to your destination than endure the "at sea days" locked in the "floating hotel." If you've been to a destination before, there's less of a desire to revisit it again unless there are things you really like to do over and over. Some of the best times on a cruise is to stay on the ship while the majority of passengers get off. That is, if you like cruise ships.

The ship is in the destination port(s) for less time than it's not. I'd say that cruising isn't for you. You'd be better off flying to your destination than endure the "at sea days" locked in the "floating hotel."

LOL, I would not want to spend the entire vacation in one place! Plus, our upcoming cruise is 7 ports in 7 days. Zero sea days.

I do tolerate the sea days because most itineraries will have some. I just try to minimize them, and use them to just relax. I am not going to be spending my time on a flow rider or climbing wall. I'll be asleep in a lounger.

We had a live band on the Pride most evenings in RFP, Atrium had a live string trio, there was an acoustic guitarist with a singer somewhere else on the ship, and a live piano player at the piano bar. I don't think they had a live band on lido deck, but I don't spend much time there for entertainment. Did your ship not have any live entertainment, or just not in the venue you wanted?

Carnival Cruise Lines fills a need for the price-conscious consumer. The family who only has $X to spend and wants to have a fun vacation.

Carnival Corporation has brands for less price-conscious consumers. Most of their other brands still offer tablecloths every night, an enforced elegant night dress code, chocolates on the pillow, Broadway-caliber shows, etc.

CCL is the brand for folks who would otherwise drive to Myrtle Beach or whatever for the week.

At least, that's how I see things.

We have also sailed Royal, NCL, and Princess. None of these had what I would call enforced elegant night dress code (NCL doesn't even have elegant night). There might have been chocolates on Princess, but they definitely don't make or break a cruise for me.

CCL fills a need for us as a relaxing fun vacation sailing from a port we can easily drive to with an itinerary that fits our interests and schedule. Not everyone who cruises Carnival does so for the price, but the lower fare prices are nice too.

The only alternative I have at this point is to sail on the newest ships available, and that is why my next 4 are on the Horizon twice, the Bliss and the Edge.

I totally agree! We will only sail the big ships now. We've been on the Vista and Breakaway, and will be on the Horizon in three weeks. We also want to book the Escape and Bliss in the future. We would love a cruise to nowhere, unfortunately, they don't offer those. The ports really don't do anything for us.

Two thing that I don’t like. Specialty Restaurants. What ever is on Specialty Resrauranr is not served in MDR. You would not pay for something you would get for free. BUT like NCL there MDR has nothing on there menu, chicken breast five different ways. CCL isn’t that bad because have less Specialty Restaurants.

People like Play list Players productions ??? It’s the only show on the ship, it’s either go to it. or do nothing type of thing

I understand things cost more, fuel, food, employees ect. But it’s not like they are charging 2000 prices it 1990 prices today. And making it up with cutback and up changing.. prices to cruise are up with the new ships prices are up 50% to 100% over 2000. Cruising is still a good deal. Paid one price and ita all inclusive, Room,Food, Entertainment, and you get to see some ports

Depends on what you are talking about: cruise fare only, or the whole vacation. I think the cruise fares are less expensive after inflation, but the whole vacation cost is probably outpacing inflation for many people. Cruise lines keep dreaming up new ways to separate you from your money without it costing them very much to do so. The FTTF is a prime example. At least we are still free to ignore that.

I don't see FTTF as a nickel and dime situation. I see it as giving someone who has not cruised much the ability to purchase VIP status. FTTF is a choice. A bad choice in my opinion.

Yes, and the market will (I predict) reward the cruise lines who get more right about what the market wants.

The market is many people with many interests. Some have kids, some like to eat gourmet food, some like to get hammered, some like to hook up, some like to explore new ports, etc. One ship can never be all things to all people, so they try to hit the sweet spot where they are more of the things that more of the people want, while trying to annoy the fewest people in the process.

I don't care if there is a Chef's table... great for those who want it but it's not for me. On NCL, it's great that there is an entire section of the ship with access given only to the select few who book the most expensive cabins. Some people drive, some fly commercial, and some hire private jets. It makes no difference to me what someone else spends their money on as long as it does not affect me (e.g. all those people driving and all those private jets don't delay my commercial flight.)

There are a few areas where the cruise lines intentionally make life a bit less pleasant for their guests in order to extract more money:

• FTTF - in order for some to pay extra to get onboard, others have to get on later. So now we have the "assigned check in time" ... this is just fallout from the new money grab.
  • Ice - simple thing you take for granted at home, and is self service on ever floor of a hotel. On a cruise, it's difficult to get ice. You have to special request it from the steward during the rare time he is available, or schlep it from the lido. Not convenient. Why??? so people will just go to a bar instead of having a drink in the cabin.
  • Alcohol - biggest money pit ever. NCL is going to eat Carnival's lunch with this one. Of course, not everyone is a big drinker ... the Red Frog self pour kiosks are a step in the right direction, but why is there not a "Beer-only package?" I guarantee you is is not because of "the market"... market would love it but Carnival would rather sell you liquor at $60 a day than beer for less. Why? Because they can make more money... and if people willingly buy the only package, why would they offer a less expensive one? Solution - don't buy the package.
  • Advertisements - they are all over the Fun Times, all over the PA during the day. Most folks can tune it out but it is always there... "hey! here's a great thing to do... it only costs $$$. Try it!"
  • I could go on and on but am tired of typing...

The Chefs Table is amazing. I have done it three times and it is awesome. Great thing is they hardly have to advertise for it because it fills up so fast and no one is going to force you to do it.

I get on five minutes after FTTF without paying a dime. Just make sure you get the earliest check in time. Takes a little work, but saves you the money for FTTF.

I ask the steward to put ice in our cabin when we meet them the first day and I always have ice.

You can pay as you go on alcohol or get the Cheers package. Simple enough. If NCL is a better value for you maybe that is the best cruise line for you.

Ignore the advertisements and just do the things that you and your family want to do.

While not a cutback, the biggest travesty being foisted on cruisers is the auto tips. Back in the days of the envelopes, you tipped the usual service staff that you directly interacted with during the cruise. With the advent of the auto tips they keep adding more and more of the staff into the tip pool while tips keep inching up every year, shifting the burden of payroll onto the passenger and away from the cruiseline.

The worst thing is the fact that they allow people to remove tips. The cruise workers work there butts off and for some reason Carnival allows cheap people to remove the barely over ten dollars a day to be waited on hand an foot. I wish they would just call it a service charge and not allow it to be removed. Would cut down on the line at guest services of people removing tips. I once had a lady by the slide see that I had 3 kids and tried to convince me to go remove my tips for my kids. If anything I should have been adding more because of my kids.