New Drinks Menu

Riocca

I think if I was Azamara I would be confused at the overreaction on this thread, I agree the implementation of the new menu could have been explained better but it’s really not that difficult to understand once you get the hang of it.

Out of interest and because we are cruising with Viking next year I thought I would look at the online information for Viking and Oceania and compare their respective bar menus and beverage packages.

Viking, the information on the website was difficult to find and I could only seem to access it via my booking. Only wine and beer are included as standard so is considerably less than Azamara’s included selection, obviously until we travel with Viking we can’t comment on the comparison of included wines. If I want to purchase a Silver Spirit Package it would cost £15.40pppd and we both would have to purchase it, fortunately for our Oceans booking it was included free of charge, however we have had to pay this for our River cruise. Looking at the sample bar menu drinks prices are similar to Azamara’s and included gratuities as effectively do Azamara’s, however if I go by their sample menu the gins on offer are Gordon’s and Beefeater the same ones Azamara included, I have seen mention of others being available but they aren’t listed. I also noticed that cocktail ingredients such as Vermouth,Blue Curaçao etc. are not listed.

Oceania, information was relatively easy to find but still was a little confusing as to what’s actually included. It looks like for the U.K. at least you could choose a beverage package or $300 OBC but the beverage package would only be wine and beer with meals. That was an offer so presumably could come and go as offers do, however if I wanted to purchase that particular passage it would cost £30.99pppd. There was also a drinks package that seemed similar to Azamara’s Ultimate Package that would cost £45.99pppd!! I could no information on upgrading from the first package if I chose it to be included. The sample bar menu had similar selections to Azamara’s but no prices given, and again spirits and cocktails are listed but not the items that could be considered ingredients.

Trying to take an objective view Azamara’s bar menu is no better or worse than the other two and the items removed from the old list aren’t listed by Viking or Oceania either.

As regards value it depends on the initial cruise cost but we are paying about £25 per day more on Viking that we normally pay for a CC Suite on Azamara, both cabins being approximately the same size. We’ve only ever considered a couple of Oceania cruises but the cost of a comparable cabin has never been less than Azamara. So I think it’s fair to say that Azamara are more inclusive and at approximately £16.50pppd (less any LCV discount) the Ultimate Package is reasonably competitive.

Hopefully this won’t add more pages to the thread but I just wanted to see how it compared with others and have based this comparison on only the information available to me online.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone who has cruises with Oceania almost as many times as Azamara I can say that the included lunch and dinner beverage package (if you choose that) is much superior to Azamara as it includes 12 white, 12 red and a couple of rose wines every day instead of the 2 of each on Azamara. I also think that the Oceania wines are much better than the Azamara wines. You can upgrade to the better drinks package on Oceania for about £19 pppd if you already have the lesser package. The upgraded package gives unlimited drinks at all times and again has a better and more upmarket brands than Azamara.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Forums mobile app

I think if I was Azamara I would be confused at the overreaction on this thread, I agree the implementation of the new menu could have been explained better but it’s really not that difficult to understand once you get the hang of it.

Riocca, I do not think Azamara is confused. You seem to be uncomfortable that you initiated a thread this long, with many people posting their concerns about information you have provided. Do not worry, you are just the messenger. But the amount of posts shows it is important to discuss about it.

Ivi

Riocca, I do not think Azamara is confused. You seem to be uncomfortable that you initiated a thread this long, with many people posting their concerns about information you have provided. Do not worry, you are just the messenger. But the amount of posts shows it is important to discuss about it.

Ivi

I agree. Talk is good. In this situation it is obviously a good medium to discuss it here.

Phil

As someone who has cruises with Oceania almost as many times as Azamara I can say that the included lunch and dinner beverage package (if you choose that) is much superior to Azamara as it includes 12 white, 12 red and a couple of rose wines every day instead of the 2 of each on Azamara. I also think that the Oceania wines are much better than the Azamara wines. You can upgrade to the better drinks package on Oceania for about £19 pppd if you already have the lesser package. The upgraded package gives unlimited drinks at all times and again has a better and more upmarket brands than Azamara.

As I said I was only basing the comparison on the online information and I couldn’t find any of that information online. Part of the point is that cruise lines don’t seem to provide sufficient online information, and often make things too complicated.

We have loved our Viking cruises and find them far more inclusive than our upcoming first Azamara experience. The change in the drink package has affected us because half of only 2 included perks are appearing to be gone for us (still waiting on an official answer on the vodka martini ).

Viking includes wine and beer, found the wine to be good. When we have included their Silver package, it included everything and some rather good wines. Our group of 6 ordered everything you can think of, no problem.

Viking also includes free WiFi , free dining in the specialty restaurants, free use of the entire spa, a free shore excursion in every port, and even better: no aggravation and no bs. Real luxury without nickel and diming. You had a question? They had an answer.

Again, please give an official answer: are vodka martinis and the vermouth necessary to make them included or not?

I agree re Oceania, we always upgrade as we do enjoy a post dinner cognac and we can get XO on Oceania. It’s 3/4 years since we last cruised Azamara, so I cannot comment on their included wines, but we have always been very satisfied on Oceania.

Really looking forward to our Azamara cruise next month especially now the drinks problem has been sorted!

As someone who has cruises with Oceania almost as many times as Azamara I can say that the included lunch and dinner beverage package (if you choose that) is much superior to Azamara as it includes 12 white, 12 red and a couple of rose wines every day instead of the 2 of each on Azamara.

When you tell me that Oceania package is included in the fare I'll agree it's "superior." Six included wines, plus the ability to ask for a wine from an earlier day, in addition to a wide variety of cocktails, is "much superior" to having to buy a package in order to get any wine or alcoholic beverage at all. This board is home to some of the most illogical comparisons and arguments I've ever seen.

So now we have 20+ pages on drinks that turn out to be much ado about nothing. Bonnie told us a week ago that the only change was a different beer, but the conspiracy theorists here just couldn't accept that at face value and continued to make unwarranted accusations and postulate over-the-top sensational conclusions about Azamara's intentions. You all should be embarrassed.

Out of interest and because we are cruising with Viking next year I thought I would look at the online information for Viking and Oceania and compare their respective bar menus and beverage packages.

Viking, the information on the website was difficult to find and I could only seem to access it via my booking. Only wine and beer are included as standard so is considerably less than Azamara’s included selection, obviously until we travel with Viking we can’t comment on the comparison of included wines. If I want to purchase a Silver Spirit Package it would cost £15.40pppd and we both would have to purchase it, fortunately for our Oceans booking it was included free of charge, however we have had to pay this for our River cruise. Looking at the sample bar menu drinks prices are similar to Azamara’s and included gratuities as effectively do Azamara’s, however if I go by their sample menu the gins on offer are Gordon’s and Beefeater the same ones Azamara included, I have seen mention of others being available but they aren’t listed. I also noticed that cocktail ingredients such as Vermouth,Blue Curaçao etc. are not listed.

Oceania, information was relatively easy to find but still was a little confusing as to what’s actually included. It looks like for the U.K. at least you could choose a beverage package or $300 OBC but the beverage package would only be wine and beer with meals. That was an offer so presumably could come and go as offers do, however if I wanted to purchase that particular passage it would cost £30.99pppd. There was also a drinks package that seemed similar to Azamara’s Ultimate Package that would cost £45.99pppd!! I could no information on upgrading from the first package if I chose it to be included. The sample bar menu had similar selections to Azamara’s but no prices given, and again spirits and cocktails are listed but not the items that could be considered ingredients.

Trying to take an objective view Azamara’s bar menu is no better or worse than the other two and the items removed from the old list aren’t listed by Viking or Oceania either.

As regards value it depends on the initial cruise cost but we are paying about £25 per day more on Viking that we normally pay for a CC Suite on Azamara, both cabins being approximately the same size. We’ve only ever considered a couple of Oceania cruises but the cost of a comparable cabin has never been less than Azamara. So I think it’s fair to say that Azamara are more inclusive and at approximately £16.50pppd (less any LCV discount) the Ultimate Package is reasonably competitive.

Hopefully this won’t add more pages to the thread but I just wanted to see how it compared with others and have based this comparison on only the information available to me online.

I am hopeful that Azamara has learnt from this experience. Change is fine but explain it properly and competently. I would guess that newbies will pay for drinks that they could have complimentary. I think the additions to the packages look excellent but I am pleased some of my favourites are still included.

Had no complaints with Vikings Silver Spirits package and loved sailing on a virtually brand new ship. Their crew were fabulous too. Loved Manfredi's but not so keen on the Chefs Table. Just my opinion.

Can't comment on Oceania as I haven't yet sailed with them - they're on the list.

When you tell me that Oceania package is included in the fare I'll agree it's "superior." Six included wines, plus the ability to ask for a wine from an earlier day, in addition to a wide variety of cocktails, is "much superior" to having to buy a package in order to get any wine or alcoholic beverage at all. This board is home to some of the most illogical comparisons and arguments I've ever seen.

So now we have 20+ pages on drinks that turn out to be much ado about nothing. Bonnie told us a week ago that the only change was a different beer, but the conspiracy theorists here just couldn't accept that at face value and continued to make unwarranted accusations and postulate over-the-top sensational conclusions about Azamara's intentions. You all should be embarrassed.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but I don’t feel embarrassed and I’m sure nobody else who’s contributed to this discussion feels embarrassed either. The whole thing was handled badly by Azamara, a fact that they acknowledge with their apology for the confusion!

To be fair Bonnie was saying one thing and then the website said something different!

It could all have been different, if somebody from Azamara had taken ownership and explained exactly what was happening, the fact that different bars were saying different things added to the confusion.

We all just wanted clarity on what we could expect, that is hopefully what we now have!

Absolutely no need for anyone to feel embarrassed, we are the paying passengers after all!

Fell asleep on the pool deck after lunch aided and abetted by the Long Island Iced Tea ( these should carry a health warning) but still managed to have a beer in Playa Mayor this afternoon. Glorious day in Palma.

We love Palma, spend a few days there whenever we can! I think we may need to sample this ‘Long Island Iced Tea’, never had one before but I’m now intrigued. :D

Not in the least bit embarrassed for myself but quite embarrassed for Azamara.

Since you know so much, can you guess which way the vodka martini will go? Yes because nothing changed or no because vermouth is no longer included? It was a 50-50 split live on board the ship yesterday.

I am hopeful that Azamara has learnt from this experience. Change is fine but explain it properly and competently. I would guess that newbies will pay for drinks that they could have complimentary. I think the additions to the packages look excellent but I am pleased some of my favourites are still included.

Had no complaints with Vikings Silver Spirits package and loved sailing on a virtually brand new ship. Their crew were fabulous too. Loved Manfredi's but not so keen on the Chefs Table. Just my opinion.

Can't comment on Oceania as I haven't yet sailed with them - they're on the list.

I agree completely, the changes should have been explained properly, this could all have been avoided.

I can recommend Oceania, we are sailing with them again early September and are looking at Viking for early next year!

They do say variety is the spice of life!

Not embarrassed either. I can say that as someone who has quite a number of Oceania cruises completed I have not had to pay for a drinks package yet.

Edited by Belfastman

No embarrassment for seeking clarity at all, the position was confusing and needed clarification.

Embarrassment though that the honourable member for Halifax has been asleep this afternoon having ordered s LIIT to test the process on my behalf, And to the member can I say you will understand why they are special but I only have one a day

No embarrassment for seeking clarity at all, the position was confusing and needed clarification.

Embarrassment though that the honourable member for Halifax has been asleep this afternoon having ordered s LIIT to test the process on my behalf, And to the member can I say you will understand why they are special but I only have one a day

Ann,

As someone who doesn't sleep that well on cruises, I am beginning to think that the introduction of a LIIT to my repertoire might help.

Think I'll give it a try in a couple of weeks.

Ann,

As someone who doesn't sleep that well on cruises, I am beginning to think that the introduction of a LIIT to my repertoire might help.

Think I'll give it a try in a couple of weeks.

Too much caffeine in the coke to help you sleep...stick to martinis :)

I don't feel at all embarrassed simply grateful to Riocca for bringing the matter up so it could be discussed. However I would be embarrassed if I boarded next month and paid for an upgrade and then discovered we did not need it.

I don't feel embarrassed either. Why should we?

This was a valid discussion entirely brought about by Azamara issuing contradictory information. If they had responded quickly with information like that provided late yesterday then all this confusion could have been prevented.

And I am still not entirely sure whether I can have an included vodka martini made with vermouth! :)

I don't feel embarrassed either. Why should we?

This was a valid discussion entirely brought about by Azamara issuing contradictory information. If they had responded quickly with information like that provided late yesterday then all this confusion could have been prevented.

And I am still not entirely sure whether I can have an included vodka martini made with vermouth! :)

I’ve been trying to find that out for 10 days to no avail. I’m sooooo frustrated, I need a drink!!