New Drinks Menu

Riocca

I stand by the statement of 5/24/18.

Bonnie you please clarify which list of cocktails we should expect to be delivered free of charge - the list that was on the website before 27 May or the list that is now in place, There is a fundamental difference that will significantly impact on an upcoming cruise.

Thanks Bonnie. What is being discussed just doesn't make sense. If in fact they were only trying to clean up the included drink menu, to remove drinks that were seldom ordered, they would never take off Martinis or Manhattans. And leaving a Gibson (a Martini with an onion vs a twist or olive) is probably the least ordered in the Martini category. It seems whoever made these changes doesn't understand bar drinks.

I have to say that, even though we'll be Azamara newbies in October, I'm disappointed in how they've handled several things... the included drinks thing being one of them. It seems what was promised at booking is not what we should expect to be delivered.

We've been cruising RCCL for many years as they depart from a port close to our home. The three free drinks for Diamond cruisers on RC, plus the ability to bring our own wine, plus a couple of glasses of pay-for wine at dinner each night (or a wine package) have been more than enough for us.

We are not at all connoisseurs of fine wine or high end cocktails. Being from Texas, we know and like an occasional good margarita, however, we have certainly been known to down some less-than-great ones. So we will make do with what is "included" plus the wine we bring aboard.

That said, I'm feeling more and more like what I thought was going to be a more upscale cruise is going to feel much more like what we're used to on RC... but on a smaller ship, as was mentioned. I guess, as stock holders, we should be glad RC is seeking to increase revenue.... but as a cruiser, I feel a bit disappointed...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bonnie you please clarify which list of cocktails we should expect to be delivered free of charge - the list that was on the website before 27 May or the list that is now in place, There is a fundamental difference that will significantly impact on an upcoming cruise.

Re your earlier comment My experience in the past is that a statement from the blogging officer carried no weight elsewhere in the organisation, sorry to have say that, this is not a reflection on any individual, just a reality check.” the statement I posted on 5/24 came from the head of the Hotel Department, who oversees the Beverage department.

I have no reason to doubt his word. “Any cocktail that can be made with the inclusive spirits is still included.”

This does not bode well for the first night of a holiday. A discussion with the bar staff followed by a visit to reception (or) most people will either upgrade or settle for the stated included cocktails. Well done azamara you have got that right!!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Forums mobile app

Re your earlier comment My experience in the past is that a statement from the blogging officer carried no weight elsewhere in the organisation, sorry to have say that, this is not a reflection on any individual, just a reality check.” the statement I posted on 5/24 came from the head of the Hotel Department, who oversees the Beverage department.

I have no reason to doubt his word. “Any cocktail that can be made with the inclusive spirits is still included.”

Thank you

That confirms to me the reduction in the cocktails list as I suspected

I emailed Richard Twynam to try to get some clarity. He replied, much to my surprise within half an hour. I will not post his email in full as I do not yet have his permission, but will give the gist. Basically he said about 2 white wines 2 red wines and a rose plus a sparkling wine, which we know, basically said social media tends to blow things out of all proportion. He also said they are introducing Newcastle Brown Ale for a short period of time whilst they transition to a new beer offering.

I have emailed him back to ask for clarity, as I don’t think I can order a Cosmopolitan, and said many people enjoy a vodka martini but with no vermouth now listed, that’s not possible. I have also said that if Azamara had handled things correctly we wouldn’t have to rely on social media for our information.

I am more confused than ever, if things are as they were, why has the list on the website changed?

If Bonnie insists that her information is correct, and I have no reason to doubt her, then please just simply revert to the list pre 27th May and put it back on the website!!!

Thank you

That confirms to me the reduction in the cocktails list as I suspected

Exactly, that was my thought when I read Bonnie’s reply.

Banging ones head against a brick wall comes to mind!

Bonnie, I don’t think that being able to have cocktails made with the included spirits is the main issue. What is the issue is that you also said

“The only changes that were made were to the Premium and Ultimate brand list as some brands were added or eliminated based on consumption.

Additionally we made a change to the inclusive beers offered by removing Becks and replacing it with Newcastle on draft”

I and, I think, others took that to mean that there were no changes to the list of included drinks except for Newcastle on draft replacing Becks. Given the website changes, that interpretation seems not to be correct, although its difficult to know how else we could have interpreted it.

In addition, because things like Triple Sec and Vermouth are no longer on the included list, as set out on the website, cocktails like Vodka Martini and Long Island Iced Tea would appear not to be possible as some of their ingredients are no longer included.

It would be helpful if you could clarify whether the new revised included drinks list, as now set out on the website, covers ALL the spirits/cocktail ingredients that are included and therefore whether drinks such as Vodka Martini and Long Island Tea are still possible without paying extra.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

Exactly, that was my thought when I read Bonnie’s reply.

Banging ones head against a brick wall comes to mind!

Bonnie sounds to me like a politician answering a question but evading the real point of the question.

I believe the list of included spirits is now much reduced which presumably results in a reduction of the available cocktails.

The question is therefore where is the complete list of included spirits from which cocktails can now be made to clarify the statement "any cocktail that can be made with inclusive spirits is still included complimentary" If it is the new published reduced list then the statement "the only changes that were made were to the Premium and Ultimate brand list" appears to be contradictory.

I cannot understand why Azamara cannot just publish a correct list as requested by many others.

I emailed Richard Twynam to try to get some clarity. He replied, much to my surprise within half an hour. I will not post his email in full as I do not yet have his permission, but will give the gist. Basically he said about 2 white wines 2 red wines and a rose plus a sparkling wine, which we know, basically said social media tends to blow things out of all proportion. He also said they are introducing Newcastle Brown Ale for a short period of time whilst they transition to a new beer offering.

I have emailed him back to ask for clarity, as I don’t think I can order a Cosmopolitan, and said many people enjoy a vodka martini but with no vermouth now listed, that’s not possible. I have also said that if Azamara had handled things correctly we wouldn’t have to rely on social media for our information.

I am more confused than ever, if things are as they were, why has the list on the website changed?

If Bonnie insists that her information is correct, and I have no reason to doubt her, then please just simply revert to the list pre 27th May and put it back on the website!!!

Thank you for doing this and keeping us updated. How unimpressive of him to blame social media for Azamara’s own failure ... great leaders don’t do that.

I don’t know Bonnie from borscht but it does sound as though she is getting bad info. Still, i don’t think she should stand behind remarks that we all now know contain some false information.

I believe the list of included spirits is now much reduced which presumably results in a reduction of the available cocktails.

The question is therefore where is the complete list of included spirits from which cocktails can now be made to clarify the statement "any cocktail that can be made with inclusive spirits is still included complimentary" If it is the new published reduced list then the statement "the only changes that were made were to the Premium and Ultimate brand list" appears to be contradictory.

I cannot understand why Azamara cannot just publish a correct list as requested by many others.

Amen to that, it’s not rocket science, just tell us if the list on the website now, is the definitive list, or the list pre 27 th May is correct. Just please stop treating us like idiots!

I don't know how a Martini can be made without vermouth....even if you like it very dry.

Seems to me the more popular cocktails like a Long Island Iced Tea and a Vodka Martini are now being used as "revenue enhancers". The less popular cocktails have been left on the now much shorter included menu.

Anyone for a Gimlet or a Zentini? No, I didn't think so!

I feel really sorry for the poor bar staff onboard trying to deal with this.

For heaven's sake Azamara.......if as stated by Bonnie - nothing has changed on the complimentary drink menu, with the exception of the addition of another beer, then why not just go back to the pre-May 27th drink menu both on board all ships and on the website?! That is such an easy fix and would end all of this speculation and frustrating uncertainty.

“Any cocktail that can be made with the inclusive spirits is still included.”

That statement is very clear to me. They have a new list of included spirits in the bars and on the website. If a drink can be made with those listed ingredients you get it for no charge. A vodka martini and many other can’t be made from the included spirits so they are no longer included. Like it or not that seems to be what Azamara is now including.

I realize that the majority of Azamara 'guests' aren't on Cruise Critic, so may not be aware of the drinks menu changes and will have no reason to complain. However, those of us who are here and consider ourselves loyalists feel very unappreciated and deceived. Can the increase this makes to the bean counters' bottom line be worth that? If so, it reflects a brand-wide change that is in utter opposition to the reasons we choose Azamara.

I imagine I can make do with the included drinks, as I won't now upgrade on principle, but if this parsimonious, inconsiderate attitude shows up in other areas, I'll be looking elsewhere and that makes me very sad.

- Melissa

I have reread Richard Twynam’s email and to be fair to him, what he said re social media was ‘As is often the way when things change, various people on social media put an interesting spin on things, allow me to reassure’.

I was trying to paraphrase what he said and hope I didn’t mislead.

I do not think anyone, other than Azamara, is trying to put a spin on things.

I stand by the statement of 5/24/18.

Below are screenshots of the included alcohol before this blew up and from the website today. You’ll see why our worries haven’t been calmed and questions are being asked.

Before:

9957ad1302cdf69c16565aac35bcd684.jpg

7138079bc86aec66ab8561aae3bea60b.jpg

After:

6fb72d75b8646ef778a662880b3750d0.jpg

1cb46f2bba7df6b28ff5b1ad9c4ea04d.jpg

Phil

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The changes in the included drinks will make little difference to us - I like a gin & tonic and my husband drinks whisky(and yes he is happy with Cutty Sark!). However I, like others, am not happy with the way the these changes have been introduced. When you book a holiday, whether a cruise or not, you book knowing what is and is not included in the price you have agreed to pay. If things change you expect to be notified about these changes. Everyone acknowledges that things change over time, but it is only fair to know about changes to a booked holiday when they are applied. At the very least Azamara could have put something on the website in a fairly prominent place, but an email outlining that there were to be changes, with a link to the changed information would have been good practice, I would have thought.

Isn't a vodka martini just vodka and a lemon peel? I can't see how that is not included.

Sabbo, Obviously you don't drink many Vodka Martini's! 😄

Don't give the Azamara bean counters any idea's though....they may take the slices of lemon off the included items as well!