New Drinks Menu

Riocca

That’s good to know, I do appreciate that, in this he has to follow the party line, but he replied to my first email within 20 mins. I think Azamara need a few more Richards!

I echo the positive comments about Richard. Have received lots of help and kindnesses from him.

Think he should be promoted and transferred to Miami

We apologize for any confusion that occurred onboard and online regarding our beverage packages and complimentary cocktails. We have not removed any complimentary cocktails and mixed drinks from the bar menu, it has always been a suggested list of cocktails that can be made by our bar staff, and we are always happy to make any cocktail that can be made with the inclusive spirits.

I knew you would get there eventually. We'll be booking our next cruise with you early next week. Thanks for dealing with all the anxiety, from all fronts.

Hi Spursgirl. My credit card will be firmly in my pocket tomorrow. You do know what they say about Yorkshire men don’t you ? In the meantime it’s Ernest on board at the moment. We went to see his show at 8.15 last night but it was cancelled as hardly anyone turned up. Entertainment is not an Azamara strong point.

Please don't wreck my very positive view of you and purchase Mrs HYC a treat tomorrow.

Shame you didn't see Ernest's show. Have heard very good reports of it.

Hope you don't wake up with a hangover tomorrow after all your excellent research.

We apologize for any confusion that occurred onboard and online regarding our beverage packages and complimentary cocktails. We have not removed any complimentary cocktails and mixed drinks from the bar menu, it has always been a suggested list of cocktails that can be made by our bar staff, and we are always happy to make any cocktail that can be made with the inclusive spirits.

The changes we have made were to add new premium brands to our Premium and Ultimate beverage package and provide a draft beer option globally versus only in Europe.

Some of the changes that were made include:

• Adding Newcastle as our complimentary draft beer, which will now be available while traveling to any region of the world. Previously, Beck’s draft beer was only available in Europe due to purchasing restrictions.
  • Adding new and more premium brands such as Tito’s vodka and Plymouth gin to the list of brands offered as part of the Premium and Ultimate Beverage Packages. Attached please find the full updated list for our Premium and Ultimate package drinks.
  • Expanding our cocktail menu to provide guests with more premium options made with fresh ingredients.
  • Designing a new menu that now clearly indicates if an item is included as part of a beverage package.

Additionally, we have never listed non-alcoholic mixers, but please be assured that mixed drinks are still included within our complimentary drinks as long as they are made with the inclusive spirits.

We have recommunicated with our bar staff on both ships regarding these changes. If you have any further questions while onboard please visit Guest Relations.

Thank you very helpful and reassuring.

A tiny suggestion for the menu and for guests who haven't had the benefit of Cruise Critic

Could an asterisk be placed at the heading of Included cocktails on the menu with the footnote "Our bar staff will be happy to make any cocktail that can be made with included spirits"

It will just make it even clearer to everyone.

Please don't wreck my very positive view of you and purchase Mrs HYC a treat tomorrow.

Shame you didn't see Ernest's show. Have heard very good reports of it.

Hope you don't wake up with a hangover tomorrow after all your excellent research.

Just woke up and no hangover but might take it a bit easier today now that we know that AZ have sent instructions to their bar staff. However unless you are a CC member you are not going to know this.

Now all I have to do is avoid the shops in Palma and it will have been a perfect holiday :);)

Thank you Bonnie for your clear and unequivocal post. It’s great to hear that there hasn’t been a change to the included drinks, just a change to the way they are presented in the drinks lists on board and online, and thanks HalifaxYorksCruising for your tireless research on behalf of cruisers everywhere!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just woke up and no hangover but might take it a bit easier today now that we know that AZ have sent instructions to their bar staff. However unless you are a CC member you are not going to know this.

Now all I have to do is avoid the shops in Palma and it will have been a perfect holiday :);)

I fear you are a lost cause. My sympathy to Mrs HYC.

Seriously, hope you enjoy your day in Palma. If you haven't been there Plaza Mayor is a good spot for people watching and a drink

Bonnie, colour me still confused. There certainly have been some removals of cocktails from the list as far as the website is concerned, including for example, but not exclusively Long Island Iced Tea and also from the list of spirits eg Blue Curacao (two big omissions for me personally). So you are saying both of these are still available as included? If they are I don't understand why they have been taken off the list. It just confuses everyone.

Phil

Bonnie, colour me still confused. There certainly have been some removals of cocktails from the list as far as the website is concerned, including for example, but not exclusively Long Island Iced Tea and also from the list of spirits eg Blue Curacao (two big omissions for me personally). So you are saying both of these are still available as included? If they are I don't understand why they have been taken off the list. It just confuses everyone.

Phil

Phil, I’m glad I’m not the only one who is still confused.

I still think Azamara Newbies, who don’t use Cruise Critic will miss out.

I think uktog’s suggestion would be a help.

Phil

Phil

I think that the intention was not to duplicate cocktails on the list or waste space listing things that would only normally be used as ingredients. So from the where drinks listed on the “paid” list can be made from spirits on the complimentary list they can be. Blue Curaçao was very much still available and used in a special champagne cocktail for the Grand Prix, unfortunately it was very drinkable [emoji39].

If you understand the reasoning the list is much easier to read than previously, like all new ideas it will take getting used to. Ann’s suggestion of adding a short explanation would have saved a lot of grief and 40+ pages on CC.

Personally we are very much liking the improvement to the Ultimate Package making it a good purchase for us.

Why do Azamara keep shooting themselves in the foot. So everything is the same as it was, which is fantastic news. So what was the plan in printing something different ? On our upcoming cruise everything will be wonderful. However I wonder if the presence on board of the Excited One, Lottie etc, will ensure that for our group we get the drinks we are used to but maybe not for the first timer who doesnt use Cruise Critic. Since the cruises have been heavily discounted recently in the UK there will certainly be a large contingent who have no idea about these shenanigans.

In the end just a Vodka and Tonic will do (who said that - dont mention the tonic)

Looking forward to a splendid two weeks. Actually I cant wait to try a Caribbean - (nobody knows that that is but I hope it is a Lemon Drop Martini in disguise) Plus of course a Zentini or two.

Personally we are very much liking the improvement to the Ultimate Package making it a good purchase for us.

Ok, I certainly don't want to come across as a moaner, but I'm still amazed that my very favourite vodka, Stoli Elit is still not on the Ultimate Package. It's freely available on Celebrity's Premium Package. That is one that really should be on the Ultimate Package and maybe Ultimat too! You pay extra for both of those regardless I think.

Phil

Why do Azamara keep shooting themselves in the foot. So everything is the same as it was, which is fantastic news. So what was the plan in printing something different ? On our upcoming cruise everything will be wonderful. However I wonder if the presence on board of the Excited One, Lottie etc, will ensure that for our group we get the drinks we are used to but maybe not for the first timer who doesnt use Cruise Critic. Since the cruises have been heavily discounted recently in the UK there will certainly be a large contingent who have no idea about these shenanigans.

In the end just a Vodka and Tonic will do (who said that - dont mention the tonic)

Looking forward to a splendid two weeks. Actually I cant wait to try a Caribbean - (nobody knows that that is but I hope it is a Lemon Drop Martini in disguise) Plus of course a Zentini or two.

Hi Pam,

If everything is as it was we can have as many Lemon Drop Martinis as we like with included ingredients😄😄😄 So glad Captain Jose will be driving not us

I’ve never paid this much money to be so aggravated. Is a vodka martini included or not? Yes, if you go with the part of the official statement that states that no drinks were removed from the last list. No, if you go with the part of the official statement that states the bartender can make any drink from the included spirits because vermouth is no longer included.

Can I please get an official answer to this question: is a vodka martini still an included cocktail?

I’ve never paid this much money to be so aggravated. Is a vodka martini included or not? Yes, if you go with the part of the official statement that states that no drinks were removed from the last list. No, if you go with the part of the official statement that states the bartender can make any drink from the included spirits because vermouth is no longer included.

Can I please get an official answer to this question: is a vodka martini still an included cocktail?

I had no problem with getting a Vodka martini in the Living Room but the pool bar waiter said it was not included on our first day but suspect he was not particularly well trained. Blue Curaçao is also included as I had a blue wave cocktail at lunch yesterday. Creme de Menthe also included as I had a grasshopper last night. Anyway back to sunbathing by the pool as it’s a lovely day in Palma although I am contemplating what my first drink 🍸 of the day might be.

Azamara are really tied in with Heineken.

Heineken own Newcastle Brown, they also produce the dreaded and disgusting Royal Club Tonic, maybe this is a trade off, discontinue Royal Club bring on Newcastle Brown.

It's great to see a dark beer being made available, it's just not one I like.

The tonic water on board this cruise is Schweppes

I had no problem with getting a Vodka martini in the Living Room but the pool bar waiter said it was not included on our first day but suspect he was not particularly well trained. Blue Curaçao is also included as I had a blue wave cocktail at lunch yesterday. Creme de Menthe also included as I had a grasshopper last night. Anyway back to sunbathing by the pool as it’s a lovely day in Palma although I am contemplating what my first drink 🍸 of the day might be.

I vote Long Island Iced Tea - you may not be awake later on though if you consume but its worth it - just a warning, it doest taste alcoholic.....

Great you can get all those drinks and thanks for letting us know. But how am I supposed to order if I do not have a clue about the names of drinks and what is included?

Ivi

Thank you for your help and also thank you for being willing to order and drink all of these cocktails!! You are our champion!

This does sum it up though ... yes, you can get a vodka martini in one bar and no, you can’t get a vodka martini in another bar.

Again, may we please have an official answer: is a vodka martini included or not?

Great you can get all those drinks and thanks for letting us know. But how am I supposed to order if I do not have a clue about the names of drinks and what is included?

Ivi

To be fair I did look up on google before we left home what ingredients were in the cocktails as I had no idea what some of them were.

I vote Long Island Iced Tea - you may not be awake later on though if you consume but its worth it - just a warning, it doest taste alcoholic.....

Just ordered my first cocktail of the day from the Pool bar - Long Island Iced Tea- I had to google the ingredients- no problem in ordering as a complimentary - drink just arrived - oh my god !!! cheers everyone .

Just ordered my first cocktail of the day from the Pool bar - Long Island Iced Tea- I had to google the ingredients- no problem in ordering as a complimentary - drink just arrived - oh my god !!! cheers everyone .

Oh dear.....another one bites the dust :)

Delighted to get a first hand report of successful ordering, thank you

I think if I was Azamara I would be confused at the overreaction on this thread, I agree the implementation of the new menu could have been explained better but it’s really not that difficult to understand once you get the hang of it.

Out of interest and because we are cruising with Viking next year I thought I would look at the online information for Viking and Oceania and compare their respective bar menus and beverage packages.

Viking, the information on the website was difficult to find and I could only seem to access it via my booking. Only wine and beer are included as standard so is considerably less than Azamara’s included selection, obviously until we travel with Viking we can’t comment on the comparison of included wines. If I want to purchase a Silver Spirit Package it would cost £15.40pppd and we both would have to purchase it, fortunately for our Oceans booking it was included free of charge, however we have had to pay this for our River cruise. Looking at the sample bar menu drinks prices are similar to Azamara’s and included gratuities as effectively do Azamara’s, however if I go by their sample menu the gins on offer are Gordon’s and Beefeater the same ones Azamara included, I have seen mention of others being available but they aren’t listed. I also noticed that cocktail ingredients such as Vermouth,Blue Curaçao etc. are not listed.

Oceania, information was relatively easy to find but still was a little confusing as to what’s actually included. It looks like for the U.K. at least you could choose a beverage package or $300 OBC but the beverage package would only be wine and beer with meals. That was an offer so presumably could come and go as offers do, however if I wanted to purchase that particular passage it would cost £30.99pppd. There was also a drinks package that seemed similar to Azamara’s Ultimate Package that would cost £45.99pppd!! I could no information on upgrading from the first package if I chose it to be included. The sample bar menu had similar selections to Azamara’s but no prices given, and again spirits and cocktails are listed but not the items that could be considered ingredients.

Trying to take an objective view Azamara’s bar menu is no better or worse than the other two and the items removed from the old list aren’t listed by Viking or Oceania either.

As regards value it depends on the initial cruise cost but we are paying about £25 per day more on Viking that we normally pay for a CC Suite on Azamara, both cabins being approximately the same size. We’ve only ever considered a couple of Oceania cruises but the cost of a comparable cabin has never been less than Azamara. So I think it’s fair to say that Azamara are more inclusive and at approximately £16.50pppd (less any LCV discount) the Ultimate Package is reasonably competitive.

Hopefully this won’t add more pages to the thread but I just wanted to see how it compared with others and have based this comparison on only the information available to me online.