New Drinks Menu

Riocca

I don’t think it’s that vermouth has been removed. The list is now just spirits - doesn’t mean you can’t have vermouth, but it’s not a spirit, so not on the new list. You can have a Gibson, which includes vermouth, so a vodka martini should be no problem. Sounds like the refusal was by a new member of crew.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which I can see it will make ordering a drink an ordeal rather than a pleasure. You will at best have to ask for your drink but specify it's with the included spirits and even then hope it's not going to be refused. Most customers will not ask or will assume they have to upgrade to get the drink they want. Exactly what Azamara intended, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Forums mobile app

As I said I was only basing the comparison on the online information and I couldn’t find any of that information online. Part of the point is that cruise lines don’t seem to provide sufficient online information, and often make things too complicated.

John

We have just returned from a Viking river cruise on the Yangtze and did a Viking Ocean last November. I am sure you will enjoy Viking. Azamara was always our line of choice and do have one booked for later in the year but now that their prices have substantially increased we have found Viking, Seabourn and Regent to be excellent alternatives.

Regards to you and Carol, Gill.

John

We have just returned from a Viking river cruise on the Yangtze and did a Viking Ocean last November. I am sure you will enjoy Viking. Azamara was always our line of choice and do have one booked for later in the year but now that their prices have substantially increased we have found Viking, Seabourn and Regent to be excellent alternatives.

Regards to you and Carol, Gill.

Hi Gill, looking forward to Viking as we’ve heard good things, still enjoying Azamara with 4 booked at the moment. Tried Crystal in January not for us I’m afraid we’re not party animals but it was far too quiet.

Just at Barcelona airport awaiting flight. Will post a cruise review with photos when back home. Had two Cosmos in the Living Room last night. The first one was ordered without a query. Different waiter for the second - he asked for my sea pass card and so had to explain that I just wanted the Cosmo with included spirits.

Vermouth is technically a fortified wine so who the heck knows.

Just to confirm, I spoke to Richard Twynam, MD Azamara UK this morning and vermouth is still on the included list so we can have our vodka martinis the proper way no issue. He confirmed that there has been no change in drinks that are available, just a change in the way they are set out on the menu, but per this thread and if I'm not asked I will make sure I use the words "from the included" or some such. Like the LIITs for example.

Cheers!

Phil

Just to confirm, I spoke to Richard Twynam, MD Azamara UK this morning and vermouth is still on the included list so we can have our vodka martinis the proper way no issue. He confirmed that there has been no change in drinks that are available, just a change in the way they are set out on the menu, but per this thread and if I'm not asked I will make sure I use the words "from the included" or some such. Like the LIITs for example.

Cheers!

Phil

I just don't get why, then, they removed so many drinks from the menu if they are included. Unless, of course, it's simply designed as a money-maker so that uninformed cruisers think the only way to get a LIIT, whiskey sour or martini is to pay for it. And I still wonder why my husband was told two of his drinks of choice were no longer included. Azamara really needs to clarify the policy with staff AND guests.

I think you are on target that it’s a money maker and I’d guess that they did plan to drop those drinks .... then all heck broke loose. There was no logic to any of their explanations. You don’t tidy up a bar menu by dropping whisky sour and keeping Zentini!! Can you imagine the sales from passengers who wanted one of those drinks like a martini? I would not be surprised if they will only honor the few in question (whisky sour, martini) for an interim period until this thing settles down.

Cheers!

Phil

Phil, I will "buy" you a LIIT on Quest in 2 weeks ....from the included list of course! 😀

Seriously though, I'm very glad Richard Twynam has now confirmed no changes in the drinks that are available onboard and all will be as usual in 2 weeks time. Looking forward to a wonderful two cruises.

Cheers!

Phil

I honestly don't understand the confusion over a Vodka Martini, nor why so accepting of Mr Twynam's reassurance "there has been no change in drinks that are available" but not my repeated reassurance?

To clarify:

a) Vermouth is an ingredient, not considered a spirit. Ingredients are no longer included on the list.

b) a Vodka Martini was not listed on the previous cocktail list, as shown by the screenshots, and yet everyone got one FOC as requested. This has not changed.

c) I have said repeatedly on this thread there are no changes to the inclusive cocktails available onboard our ships.

d) in my post #269 I apologized to whomever did not receive a Vodka Martini, and that I'd pass the message to the onboard staff that more training was in order to insure no one was ever martini-less again. That has happened.

e) specifically to 'kjbacon'...yes, a vodka martini is FOC when using the included vodka.

f) I do not expect the cocktail list will be changed back to the previous list. But it is reasonable to ask for footnote along the lines of uktog's suggestion, or I might suggest it say "Suggested Cocktails" so that it does not feel definitive.

g) and I know it's ill-advised for me to ever share personal feelings on CC since this is such a tough crowd, but after serving this community for >4 years by getting answers, official statements, and/or directing guests to the appropriate department(s) my feelings are hurt by those who chose not to believe me, and by the unkind comments. I am given free reign on which posts I respond to and how I respond, so if y'all don't mind, I think I'll take the weekend off from this thread. See you on Monday.

We have also just returned this evening from Quest

No issue with liit but less luck with a mojito! Stuck to my guns and eventually got it

What was noticeable was the non CC guests paying for drinks that they could have asked to be made from the complimentary menu because they didn't know they could.

Certainly didn't go short and had the usual fabulous time.

We have also just returned this evening from Quest

No issue with liit but less luck with a mojito! Stuck to my guns and eventually got it

What was noticeable was the non CC guests paying for drinks that they could have asked to be made from the complimentary menu because they didn't know they could.

Certainly didn't go short and had the usual fabulous time.

and this post explains exactly why there has been a certain degree on cynicism on this thread. I have suspected from the first page that the new menus would confuse and mislead the regular passenger who isn't on cruise critic and isn't aware of this current conversation

If I was a new cruiser on Azamara, my first reaction on looking at the redesigned menus would be to make a not unreasonable assumption that everything not priced was included, everything priced would come at an extra cost. I challenge anyone to refer back to that opening page and not come to that same basic conclusion!!

It's slightly Kafkaesque for Azamara to respond with "but you can always ask for drinks to be made from the included spirits" if you don't know that included spirits can be used for drinks not on the complimentary menu.

Edited by ikelmay

Bonnie..... don't take it personally. I don't think one person here was attacking you personally, although I'm sure you may feel that way because you care about Azamara and its guests. Prior to making my first Azamara booking, following a few Celebrity, and other line cruises, I read many, many, many Azamara CC pages and your name came up over and over by everyone as a go-between person they rely on, respect and like a lot.

Even though the thread is 474 posts long, if you think about it - if all those who posted were sitting around together in a room orally stating their posts instead of putting it here - what's posted would amount to about a ten minute conversation - here it's dragged out over several days so seems to go on and on and on......

In my case, I've booked a solo balcony cabin on a fall two-week itinerary - and because a solo rate is higher for me on Azamara than I usually pay, I've scaled my usual annual two-vacation/cruise down to one this year (but a two week cruise) just to try out Azamara. So of course, I want to make sure I'm going to get on board what I think I've purchased and more importantly to me - what I've budgeted for.

While I was concerned near the beginning of this thread, I had resigned myself to stop worrying about this topic up to final payment date of my cruise to see what those on board report here for the next few weeks to decide if I want to cancel or not.

My main concern is that I, like you, need some peace, quiet and rest on my vacation. The thought of having to worry about what I should order for my drink of choice is something I don't want to have to worry about.

I work in an area of the law where I also have to deal with the public so I know how stressful it can be to try and appease people....especially if it's something they can't understand. At least I don't have to do it on a public forum, thank goodness! I do still think Azamara could have alleviated some of this by just leaving the included drink list as it was - nobody was complaining then were they? But as they say.....hindsight is 20/20!

Have a great weekend and don't think about this issue - - until Monday that is!