New Drinks Menu

Riocca

Please inform us when you return. I hope you don't have any issues. I have a two-week scheduled in the fall that I haven't made final payment on yet. I'm going for some stress-free, quiet, relaxation after a troublesome past year and I certainly don't want to spend two weeks trying to find out what I can order that's included, or having to tell a bartender "well, that's what Bonnie said back in May."

My thoughts exactly, we have had a very stressful last 3 years and are badly in need of some rest and relaxation. I don’t think we have the strength to get into a debate about what is included or not! We board in 3 weeks and have earmarked 2 more cruises we are interested in. I think we will make a decision once we see how all this pans out.

Indeed Lindy and I don’t want to watch others paying for drinks they could have versions made for free. And I like to think the crew are thinking about me (misguided I know at times!). As I said before I’ve already had some try and pull a fast one over Cosmopolitans. Ok it gets corrected, sometimes they try it again next night and I start to get really not good feelings.

Like you we like several future offerings but there are quite a few things currently stopping us booking so we will be looking carefully at policies and other things, bar service has been added to that list. Like others if there’s no change, why new menus that imply less included drinks? Must get more anti cynic pills quickly!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The official line is that there is only one beer change on the new list. We know, however, that there are over 20 changes to the new list of included drinks.

We are told to negotiate with the bar staff about how to make our drinks so that we get what we were promised when they took our money (and still are being promised on the website). And for martini drinkers like us, that has less chance of working than other drinks because vermouth has been removed from the list. It’s one of the actual 20+ changes and not the claimed one beer change.

We also know, based on previous posts on this thread by actual people experiencing this new list real time, that the list is viewed on board as “definitive” and drinks from the website list have been denied.

We are sailing in 3 weeks and instead of talking fun stuff on these boards like in the weeks before, it’s all been about this convoluted mess as they transition to a new policy. For us caught in the in between phase, it comes across as bait and switch.

Like Lindy, I have no intention of spending my vacation begging and bartering, showing them their own website list, telling them what Bonnie said, or asking to see the Beverage Manager every time my husband or I want a drink. Odds are the bar staff doesn’t know Bonnie anymore than Bonnie knew about the new drink policy before she read it on here.

We also have (had) our next Azamara cruise picked out for later in the year so what to do?

We have decided to get the drink package. After already spending a small fortune for a suite on this cruise, we will spend a few hundred more so that we are able to have the care free and effortless vacation that we were promised (and arguably still are being promised).

We will never so much as consider Azamara again for our 2 cruises per year. They may be “getting” us this time for a few more hundred dollars but in the end, they will be losing thousands and thousands as we return to a true quality product like Viking or try other luxury cruises as itineraries lead.

Others have said that the drinks menus set out on on the little tables on the pool-deck are still there, and presumably show the full list as on the website.

I will be interested in seeing what Phil (excitedofharpenden) finds when he gets onboard in a couple of weeks.

I am wary of Viking as the included drinks are only wine and beer, and I do like a gin & tonic.

I will also be on Journey soon so we can see how it plays out there but I suspect many others will have news before then

Edited by uktog

Others have said that the drinks menus set out on on the little tables on the pool-deck are still there, and presumably show the full list as on the website.

I will be interested in seeing what Phil (excitedofharpenden) finds when he gets onboard in a couple of weeks.

I am wary of Viking as the included drinks are only wine and beer, and I do like a gin & tonic.

The Silver Drinks Package on Viking is very reasonable and includes most drinks. Certainly you will get a much better G&T than you will on Azamara. We had our drinks packages included by our TA last year and found them really good. Far more top shelf varieties than Azamara has.

Viking is a lovely cruise experience and I'm beginning to think Viking is now comparable to the wonderful Azamara experiences of my fond memory.

I'm on Quest in just under three weeks too....same cruise as Phil. There are a group of our friends onboard and we will probably work our way through most of the drinks menu so I will be able to report back!

Like others, I find the new alterations confusing to say the least. When ordering a drink I don't want to have to negotiate whether my drink is included or not. Hopefully the wonderful bar tender Mariano is onboard and he will be pouring my "free" Lemon Drop Martini as he claps eyes on me! 😄🍸

For anyone cruising soon — if you can confirm what wines by the glass are currently included in the Ultimate package onboard that would be much appreciated. The list recently posted and the one on the website is different...and both seem like a very limited selection for an Ultimate package (and they could have included a Port for 21.95 pp per day!). Viking’s Silver Spirit package seemed to be more extensive. Lottie A—we were on Viking over the holidays and found it to be a very worthy competitor to AZ.

All this makes me even more pleased that we chose Silversea rather than Azamara for our Japan cruise next April; much better value from Silversea and no hassle over drinks or the need to add to Azamara's already higher price with a drinks passage. Such a shame that the corporate bean counters are ruining what was a very good product.

On another note, whilst it is good to see a new beer added, Newcastle Brown is a very poor choice - another very bland beer.

Wow, 11 pages of posts about drinks. The blame for this long thread goes to Azamara. When you use words like 'included' and 'complimentary' you're asking for trouble. With the exception of a few super premium spirits or ultra wines (which would make up a pretty small list), drinks, if complimentary/included, should be complimentary - period.

I certainly don't book cruises to drink to oblivion or pay extra to fly in the front of the plane because the food is better up front than the bag of peanuts handed out to those in the seats behind me - but when I'm told that drinks are "complimentary" I feel abused when a cruise line uses its own definition of "complimentary" as an incentive to book with them. When you pony up the money to travel on one of the more premium lines you don't like to be told that your definition of included is quite a bit different than the enticing rhetoric used in the brochures.

I think we all understand that every drink package offered needs a few restrictions - even the pricey ones. But I also don't think that the passengers on Azamara, Seaborne, Cunard, Crystal or any other of the premium cruise lines are the kind of guests that would be aboard a 4 day booze cruise to the Caribbean on a ship with over 20 bars full of passengers abusing a $500.00 beverage plan.

No one has mentioned that there is likely a decent number of travelers paying for our "complimentary" drinks - that don't drink alcohol at all (a hardy tip of the hat to those guests).

Cruise lines pay attention - it's either complimentary or it isn't. Sooner or later the 'sell up' is going to cost you repeat passengers and not because they can't afford the line but because they don't like being nickel and dimed at this price point. The night before I disembark I don't want a dictionary thick ream of 'oh, by the way' charges pushed under my cabin door. Surprise!

Wow, 11 pages of posts about drinks. The blame for this long thread goes to Azamara....

Cruise lines pay attention - it's either complimentary or it isn't. Sooner or later the 'sell up' is going to cost you repeat passengers and not because they can't afford the line but because they don't like being nickel and dimed at this price point. The night before I disembark I don't want a dictionary thick ream of 'oh, by the way' charges pushed under my cabin door. Surprise!

The drinks offered by Azamara were never complementary. We paid for them in the final cruise price. Nobody has given us drinks for free (the same applies for other cruise lines which include drinks as part of their fares).

Now the whole discussion here is about Azamara reducing the options originally offered as part of the included drinks.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

I will take photos of all bar menus when I board Quest in Nice tomorrow and upload as soon as possible.

Thanks! That would be great and we’ll all be anxious to see . Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Julie

Thanks! That would be great and we’ll all be anxious to see . Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Julie

Thanks Julie. This will be our 1st AZ cruise as we mainly cruise on RC, Celebrity and P&O. Just fancied a more intimate ship but having said that have booked Symphony for August.

Mark

Thanks Julie. This will be our 1st AZ cruise as we mainly cruise on RC, Celebrity and P&O. Just fancied a more intimate ship but having said that have booked Symphony for August.

Mark

Mark: October will be our first Azamara cruise as well. We’ve been sailing with Celebrity since 1997 and wanted to try something a little smaller and a notch up in good, service, ports etc... I bet the Symphony will be realllllyyyy nice!

I am still looking forward to my August cruise, but Seaboune looks very good for future

I think you will love your August cruise. The onboard experience is still wonderful, as are the officers and crew. They are simply the best and will make your cruise a great experience.

It's a real shame that the pre cruise issues, ridiculous pricing, Miami bean counter cuts etc are spoiling that anticipation but as I and many other loyal Azamara cruisers know, once you are onboard ....all those bad feelings just melt away and "the real Azamara" takes over and all is well.

My! We did start something here but rest assured that onboard any cocktail that can be made with the included alcohol is available. As we are on the Ultimate Package it’s difficult to test but we’ve seen no evidence of hard up selling only the usual table in Mosaics for the first two days offering packages.

More good news two Ports have been added to the Ultimate Package can’t remember which ones I think was Sandemans. Royal Club is no more replaced by Schweppes [emoji16]

By the way the ship are very aware of this thread and it’s been followed with interest.

The Silver Drinks Package on Viking is very reasonable and includes most drinks. Certainly you will get a much better G&T than you will on Azamara. We had our drinks packages included by our TA last year and found them really good. Far more top shelf varieties than Azamara has.

Viking is a lovely cruise experience and I'm beginning to think Viking is now comparable to the wonderful Azamara experiences of my fond memory.

I'm on Quest in just under three weeks too....same cruise as Phil. There are a group of our friends onboard and we will probably work our way through most of the drinks menu so I will be able to report back!

Like others, I find the new alterations confusing to say the least. When ordering a drink I don't want to have to negotiate whether my drink is included or not. Hopefully the wonderful bar tender Mariano is onboard and he will be pouring my "free" Lemon Drop Martini as he claps eyes on me! [emoji1][emoji483]

Lottie I’m a bit confused we’re not trying Viking until next year but looking at the sample bar menu on their website the gins on offer are no better than Azamara’s included. Certainly Azamara’s Ultimate Package has a good selection and at $21.95pppd less our LCV discount, on price compares favourably with Vikings $20pppd. I also noticed that Viking require both passengers in a cabin to purchase a package whilst Azamara don’t.

I also looked at the price we are paying next year for our Viking and Azamara cruises. Even allowing for the purchase of an Ultimate Package on Azamara we are paying less per day for a CC suite than we are for a Penthouse Veranda with free Silver Spirit Package and gratuities. If we had to pay for these the difference in Azamara’s favour would have been substantial.

One last thing, and those knocking Azamara before they’ve tried it might like to take note. Yesterday in Monaco in what could only be described as very challenging tendering conditions someone went from Journey to Quest to collect a bottle of Kraken rum & Plymouth gin because we were disappointed that their stock had failed to arrive in Civitavechia. By comparison on Crystal in January a waiter refused to walk 100ft to another bar to get a bottle of Hendricks gin. Yes sometimes communication goes awry but they also go more than the extra mile to make sure things get put right, so we thank the member of staff concerned, who I know will read this, for braving 5 tender journeys so I could enjoy a Dark & Stormy.

I am glad you are now able to enjoy your Dark and Stormy. What you describe is a demonstration of the excellent customer service Azamara provide on board and I don't think any regulars would ever criticise the friendliness and competence of the wonderful crew and stripes.

This unfortunate episode could be put to bed by a further reprint of the bar menu incorporating the excellent additions to the Ultimate Package and listing the full list of the complimentary cocktails if they remain the same as you report.

In this way newbies and those guests who are not CC members will not pay for drinks unnecessarily.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise and once again thanks for updating us.

Like others, I find the new alterations confusing to say the least. When ordering a drink I don't want to have to negotiate whether my drink is included or not. Hopefully the wonderful bar tender Mariano is onboard and he will be pouring my "free" Lemon Drop Martini as he claps eyes on me! [emoji1][emoji483]

We are happy Viking cruisers doing Azamara because they had an intriguing itinerary that suited our needs for a spot we wanted to fill.

I have to admit that Azamara is making my head spin. Maybe it’s just me but it just seems that everything is so much more complicated. We have already decided to get the Ultimate drinks package because it seems less complicated than dealing with the “included” drinks- which kind of seemed like an odd assortment.

We got the Silver Spirits package on Viking and it worked out well. The Azamara package is only a little more and will get us our gin of choice for G&Ts and an occasional martini. My husband will get his evening cognac and be a happy camper.

Now all I have to do is wrap my head around the dining packages and the mind-boggling internet prices, and we’re good to go

I’m quite sure we will enjoy our Azamara cruise, but I’m also sure we will be back to Viking for the future.

Well John, isn't that the Azamara difference? You just wouldn't get that on other cruise lines. It's what I mean by the stellar Azamara service onboard. If only it could be duplicated by shoreside management!

As to Viking Silver Spirits package I think it is excellent value to buy but ours was included in our booking anyway, as were the gratuitaries. I will never be in a cabin with anyone who doesn't drink alcohol....LOL....so the purchasing for both people doesn't bother me, but I appreciate it will be a problem if your partner is a non drinker. I know it won't be a problem for you either though! 😄

When I referred to the better G&T's on Viking in my previous post it wasn't so much the gins but the tonic that went with them. Gins were Tanqueray, Hendricks, Beefeater, Bombay Sapphire and Gordon's from memory but the tonic was Schweppes and another one that I can't remember the name of but was perfectly fine by me. So much better than the abysmal Royal tonic on Azamara....but let's not go into the tonic debate again! I had to ask for the Hendricks but it was available.

What I found a big difference in was the quality and selection of the included wines at lunch and dinner and the better wines available on the Silver Spirits Package. We did a Chef's Table with paired wines and it was very noticeable there.

That weather in Monaco for the Grand Prix yesterday looked a bit iffy....I'm sure your tender boat ride was interesting to say the least! 😱

Hope you and Carol continue to have a great cruise. Have a Dark and Stormy for me!