New Drinks Menu

Riocca

Bonnie, so you think vermouth is still an included alcohol? It's not on the included list, but if it is there and whilst it's only one item this would explain the confusion and may well extend to other things. Whatever, you have to admit that it is very, very muddled in the information it now gives on the website. I guess a "the policy has definitely not changed and it is what it has always been" is what many of us are looking to hear.

Phil

It is starting to look like things have changed and like many other recent changes not for the better.

Looking forward to you and other regulars reporting from your cruises next month.

Ann,

We are obviously both possessed of the suspicious gene!

Unusually, we have very generous obc on this cruise so if my favourite drinks are no longer complimentary I will purchase the Ultimate Package this time.

However it will impact my future bookings. Was planning to book something while on board. Now seriously prevaricating.

I know we are sailing at the same time, though sadly on different ships. I did wonder if Journey and Quest are adopting the same policy whatever that policy is. Guess we will both know in a couple of weeks.

Ann,

We are obviously both possessed of the suspicious gene!

Unusually, we have very generous obc on this cruise so if my favourite drinks are no longer complimentary I will purchase the Ultimate Package this time.

However it will impact my future bookings. Was planning to book something while on board. Now seriously prevaricating.

I know we are sailing at the same time, though sadly on different ships. I did wonder if Journey and Quest are adopting the same policy whatever that policy is. Guess we will both know in a couple of weeks.

I never used to have that gene where Azamara was concerned but events aroused something dormant I guess.

Bottom line we need an official statement that will be recognised on board as well, from a named source that has the relevant authority to confirm the exact position. Then, ok we might not like the position and will deal with that as we chose in the future but we will know exactly where we stand

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I note that there is a tequila sunrise on the chargable list of cocktails. As tequila, albeit a cheaper brand is available on the complimentary list, can I still enjoy a tequila sunrise without charge (assuming that orange juice is still free at the bar) or do I have to bring my own grenadine ?

I currently have 2 cruises booked with Azamara, but as I mentioned on another thread there is no way I am booking as far ahead as 2020. The Azamara I came to know and love may no longer be the same Azamara in two years time. It is certainly looking that way.

Given that Bonnie said you can have a cocktail using the included spirits, that should not be a problem I would hope!

My experience in the past is that a statement from the blogging officer carried no weight elsewhere in the organisation, sorry to have say that, this is not a reflection on any individual, just a reality check. Therefore given the level of confusion, I trust Azamara can agree a communication that is shared ship wide and on social media that can address this issue. Its obvious on Quest yesterday that statement did not hold sway and its now pointless basing anything on a previous list given that the website has been changed.

Tequila is on the current list and I guess orange juice is still included, so the only issue for a Tequila Sunrise would be whether grenadine would be allowed.

I totally agree that a statement from Azamara that is very clear on what is and what isn’t included (particularly in relation to whether you can ask for a cocktail to be made with included drinks) would be helpful.

Reading and re-reading what has been written here to me as a simple chap it's just a complete Horlicks, but I don't think that is on the included list either;)

Phil

Hmmm I think my DH was an Ovaltinie - remember that song

Hi jelayne,

I’m sorry you’re first impression is a bad one. :o

Hopefully we will be able to reverse this soon!

As for being misinformed, I won’t say definitively not, but I’ll be surprised if so since the statement I shared came from our Hotel Management which sets the policy.

I’m not sure why someone was turned down for a vodka martini. Either the guest requested a premium vodka, or the policy hasn’t been clarified well enough onboard, or a bit more one to one training is in order.

I won’t speculate on what went wrong but I promise to share the comments here with those in the know so that no one else is left martini-less.

And again, I’m sorry for your nervousness.

Hi Bonnie,

I appreciate your effort and concern but this ongoing confusion or misinformation is as bad as the bait and switch I feel from when I booked my suite less than 3 months ago.

I found it frustrating when your earlier post insisted that nothing had changed but for the addition of one beer when, in fact, the list contains over 20 changes. The website has now been changed to reflect the changed menu of complimentary drinks.

I now find it frustrating that you are saying that you don’t know why someone has been denied a vodka martini. It’s obvious. The removal of a vodka martini is one of the 20+ changes on the list. The removal of vermouth is another one of the 20+ changes on the list. It seems the policy has been clarified most everywhere but here.

Even if I was willing to negotiate, beg, borrow, and steal (which I am not) with your bar staff whenever I wanted my vodka martini, there’s not one logical remark I could make to suggest to a bartender that a vodka martini is still included.

With respect, to suggest to me that I should say to a member of the bar staff that an Azamara rep that posts on Cruise Critic says that another member of the Azamara staff told her that the changed list hasn’t really changed so you can make me a vodka martini even though that drink is no longer on your list nor are all of the ingredients for that drink still on your list is taking my bad first impression and turning it into a lasting bad impression.

On checking the website the first thing I noticed was the disclaimer on the included list *All selections, prices and availability are subject to change without notice.

Azamara certainly seem to be living up to that statement at least.

On looking at the included cocktail list, nothing really makes any sense at all, in terms of what is included and what has been deleted. Went through the list of ingredients online and as others have said, triple sec, blue curaçao, creme de cacao, apple schnapps, vermouth are all constituent parts of those listed as included. Couldnt find out what was in a "Caribbean". Any ideas ?

I will not buy a premium package on principle on my cruise in two weeks. I would like to think that I will get at least an approximation of what I thought was included.

Where is the Azamara official statement or does the Disclaimer override information ?

On checking the website the first thing I noticed was the disclaimer on the included list *All selections, prices and availability are subject to change without notice.

Azamara certainly seem to be living up to that statement at least.

On looking at the included cocktail list, nothing really makes any sense at all, in terms of what is included and what has been deleted. Went through the list of ingredients online and as others have said, triple sec, blue curaçao, creme de cacao, apple schnapps, vermouth are all constituent parts of those listed as included. Couldnt find out what was in a "Caribbean". Any ideas ?

I will not buy a premium package on principle on my cruise in two weeks. I would like to think that I will get at least an approximation of what I thought was included.

Where is the Azamara official statement or does the Disclaimer override information ?

Totally agree, we too will not buy a premium package on principle and we would really like to know before our cruise in just over 2 weeks what we can expect.

This has not been handled well, it’s a shambles! If the bean counters think they’ll be getting any more of our beans to count, they can think again! That they haven’t had the decency to inform people already booked of the changes, is appalling. It makes you wonder what they will do next!

Totally agree, we too will not buy a premium package on principle and we would really like to know before our cruise in just over 2 weeks what we can expect.

This has not been handled well, it’s a shambles! If the bean counters think they’ll be getting any more of our beans to count, they can think again! That they haven’t had the decency to inform people already booked of the changes, is appalling. It makes you wonder what they will do next!

Lindy, I've seen it already I'm afraid. I travel in a cabin on my own. Azamara proudly advertised on their website for some time that on some sailings (a list was given), the solo supplement was 125%. In fact when I checked it the solo supplement was 150% on all of the listed sailings. The advertised percentage was only changed to 150% on the website when I pointed it out here. If you booked onboard you were given certificates for two friends/family to use to book the same cruise when you got home and have the same benefits. This was quietly dumped by Azamara as a benefit in 2016 apparently. There has been others. It's done by stealth and I really hate that. Please don't treat your loyal guests as fools coz we notice! You do indeed wonder what is next.

Phil

We haven't sailed on NCL, but are considering a cruise with them thanks to their "Free at Sea" program--we would choose the unlimited beverage package and the specialty dining. That makes NCL look a lot more attractive!

NCL charges an 18% service charge on both the UBP and the specialty dining, so the free perks can add as much as another $300+ to your booking.

Indeed. I saw this legal cya on day one of this fiasco. Technically, this covers them legally but it certainly doesn’t make what they are doing fair, decent, ethical, moral, or reputable.

I cannot believe that their rep is still on here claiming that what is clearly printed in black and white, now updated on their website, and actually being implemented on the ships, isn’t the case at all. Talk about adding insult to injury!

I totally understand those who will not upgrade to the beverage package. We have decided to upgrade because we mostly drink vodka martinis. We don’t drink cocktails unless we are on vacation so for us, this is a real treat that we aren’t willing to give up. At this point, we are in for over $1,000.00 per day and neither one of us are going to treat our vacation like a garage sale, hustling the bar staff and trying to prove something that is devoid of reason or logic.

We have sailed with probably a half dozen or more different cruise lines and never seen anything like this. Viking is our favorite and for good reason.

We like the itinerary we have booked. But we have a lot of time before final payment, so we can, and we will, look around. This isn't "just" an issue about drinks. The alterations are symbolic of broader changes in attitude.

Welcome to Royal Caribbean but with smaller boats.

We have decided to upgrade because we mostly drink vodka martinis.

I would suggest you not do so in advance. If you're doing so simply to make sure a basic vodka martini is covered, you should wait until you're onboard and try to order one. No difference in price whether you buy the package now or once the bartender says she'll have to charge you for the martini.

Bonnie, thanks for your effort on this subject. It looks like your source of information was also misinformed. After the changes on the web pages, it is not possible to believe that the included drinks remain. I understand that it is not your fault if you were given a wrong information to share with us.

Ivi

Bonnie, thanks for your effort on this subject. It looks like your source of information was also misinformed. After the changes on the web pages, it is not possible to believe that the included drinks remain. I understand that it is not your fault if you were given a wrong information to share with us.

Ivi

I echo this, however why have a Blogging Officer if you can’t even give her the correct information. If I was Bonnie I would not be best pleased!

Well indeed Azamara has officially made the changes to the included drink menu on their website - as several of you have pointed out. Of course Azamara's plan is that with half of the complimentary drinks being slashed from the list, more people will upgrade their beverage package. If I decide not to cancel my two-week November cruise prior to the July final payment deadline, I will NOT even consider doing so, and I was thinking about doing that until this occurred. I will just have find a drink or two of the included drinks that I like and satisfy me, and stick with them.

However, I will think long and hard about booking another Azamara while on board if I'm not happy with the complimentary drinks.

However, I will think long and hard about booking another Azamara while on board if I'm not happy with the complimentary drinks.

We returned to Azamara earlier this year, and were happy with our cruise - we have found a wonderful itinerary on the Journey for later in 2018 that really suits us and we'll enjoy ourselves despite a string of ongoing changes to entertainment, layout and now available included drinks.

The concern for Azamara is that despite being previously loyal fans, they aren't going to be our default 'go-to' upmarket cruise line that they once were. Looking at the overall pattern of changes, it seems cutbacks and revenue enhancement seems to be the order of the day.

I understand the logic behind this, but I find the approach by the company to be deceptive at best. Don't introduce cutbacks by stealth, just announce a revamping of available benefits and tell us to upgrade if need be - much better than the smoke and mirrors that we are seeing.

I echo this, however why have a Blogging Officer if you can’t even give her the correct information. If I was Bonnie I would not be best pleased!

If this turns out to be incorrect information then I’d respectfully suggest Bonnie needs to review her sources for it. This might mean taking it further up the line.

Phil