New Drinks Menu

Riocca

Very disappointing. Martinis are one of our drinks of choice and really don’t want to have to upgrade for the price of a splash of vermouth!

Exactly the same for me. I can probably get away with it because I like it really dry. The vermouth is usually in and out with a twist. It does make a difference to the taste though. I’ve never paid for Moscow Mules either, but it seems ginger beer isn’t an included soda. I’m just going to see how it get on when I’m on Quest. I know the drill and if I run into issues with my pretty simple choices I’ll be clear on what they are up to.

Phil

Exactly the same for me. I can probably get away with it because I like it really dry. The vermouth is usually in and out with a twist. It does make a difference to the taste though. I’ve never paid for Moscow Mules either, but it seems ginger beer isn’t an included soda. I’m just going to see how it get on when I’m on Quest. I know the drill and if I run into issues with my pretty simple choices I’ll be clear on what they are up to.

Phil

I think the included sodas list is not all the sodas - it doesn’t include tonic and I can’t see that not being included, so ginger beer may also be included, but just missed off the list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ll look forward to your posts, Phil, and hope you have a great cruise. The included soda list IS puzzling, as only lists Coke and Sprite. Hoping that doesn’t mean tonic isn’t included.

What makes me nervous is that there is an American Mule listed in the paid for cocktails, but it seems to be made with an enhanced vodka. To be honest a Finlandia and ginger beer with a squeeze of lime does it for me. If ginger beer is included as a soda why don’t they flippin' list it? It sure would make our lives and those of the bar staff a lot easier. I’m just uneasy. I think they are up to something, regardless of Bonnie's reassurances here and it’s about revenue enhancement.

Phil

Reading the list,it looks like machine sodas only,i like vodka and bitter lemon,also what about the cabin sodas are they going to be chargeable,list has been really scaled down is it a ruse to get people to upgrade,i wont go into our experience on RCI with drinks packages

I am one week away from final payment. I am in the UK and if I had not already paid so much as a deposit for my first Azamara Cruise I would be walking away. In my opinion I am not getting what I booked, I will contact my credit card company to see if I would be entitled to a refund of the deposit.

Just had a lovely meal in the MDR. The Complimentary Californian Pinot Noir was more than acceptable and the 5 oz Filet Mignion medium rare was excellent. Service was very good. I had a Vodka Stinger up in the Living Room which is good if you have forgotten your mouth wash :)

Is that the included mouth wash? Lol. Keep enjoying your cruise.

Phil

What a debacle. Didn't I read somewhere recently while lurking on the board, that AZ had appointed a new Marketing company? They should be 100% involved, take lead, and guide the top brass particularly on anything like like before it gets into the public domain. Really disappointed (again) with the comms. To repeat my original post, I feel like I've been shortchanged. This isn't about free alcohol. Its about caring for and about your paying clientele and honouring what you've committed to. I'm hoping that there is some real clarity on this in the coming days, and will make my mind up where I spend my hard earned £ depending on the response.

What a debacle. Didn't I read somewhere recently while lurking on the board, that AZ had appointed a new Marketing company? They should be 100% involved, take lead, and guide the top brass particularly on anything like like before it gets into the public domain. Really disappointed (again) with the comms. To repeat my original post, I feel like I've been shortchanged. This isn't about free alcohol. Its about caring for and about your paying clientele and honouring what you've committed to. I'm hoping that there is some real clarity on this in the coming days, and will make my mind up where I spend my hard earned £ depending on the response.

Yes, everything is clear as mud. Looking at the new package cocktail lists, it looks like you can get a martini with the Premium package, but must buy an Ultimate for a Manhattan. Could this possibly be right?

I am one week away from final payment. I am in the UK and if I had not already paid so much as a deposit for my first Azamara Cruise I would be walking away. In my opinion I am not getting what I booked, I will contact my credit card company to see if I would be entitled to a refund of the deposit.

Despite being as disappointed as everyone else with this, I would still urge you to go ahead with your cruise and give a Azamara a try. It’s impossible to fully describe the Azamara difference that you feel one you are onboard. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

Am I correct in thinking that a Kamikazi is still on the available cocktail list?

If so, Triple Sec can be used for that, so why not the other drinks that people have mentioned. Was it Long Island Iced Tea?

I think the ship staff are listening to what customers want and working very hard to convince Miami what should be happening.

The earphones to running a successful cruise line are the ships staff - top to bottom. Where or whom they report to is proportionate to who's listening. When management forgets to listen to or doesn't pay attention to what their first line of communication reports back to the 'mother ship' (cruise ship headquarters) success of the line's image tends to tank pretty quickly.

We've all read some of the overly negative posts (the one I'm quoting certainly isn't one of them) that are part of most forums but the majority of posts I've read within Cruise Critic are from people that are not demanding but at the same time want to see evolutional change that will make a cruise more rewarding and certainly less confused when booking. A proper description of an 'Inclusive' beverage offering needs to be reviewed by people that enjoy a cocktail or two at their local pub - not by bean counters that chew on pencils. Obviously you can't stock everything but I'd bet there's space on a ship for the most asked for beverages that can be ordered at quality establishment frequented at home. If pounding your cruise card to enjoy $100.00 dollar shots of Tequila (at no extra charge - of course) brings you pleasure rent a mega yacht or sign for it - but don't make the rest of the guests subsidize something you've probably never tried before because it wasn't 'included in a package'.

How about a cruise industry survey, "What do you enjoy and normally drink at home'?

We choose Azamara because of the service and atmosphere we haven't found elsewhere. Available "complimentary/included " spirits do not ultimately define which line we cruise with,I don't even drink, but the inclusiveness of Azamara ( drinks, gratuities etc) was very attractive. We have 4 cruises in the books with Azamara so this change is disappointing but as others have said I don't it matters much to head office...... And can someone tell me, why you would remove vermouth, which is cheap, cheap cheap from a list?

Wouldn't the easiest way to determine this be for someone on-board (Riocca?) to go to the nearest bar and ask for a Manhattan, Martini, Log Island Iced Tea, and a Whiskey Sour? And see what happens?

I think that happened, when someone asked for a martini and was told it wasn’t included.

Despite being as disappointed as everyone else with this, I would still urge you to go ahead with your cruise and give a Azamara a try. It’s impossible to fully describe the Azamara difference that you feel one you are onboard. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

My mother used to tell me “ You don’t get a 2nd chance to make a good first impression.”

Since we booked the itinerary has changed, I haven’t been able to access my reservation despite calling and being told for 2 months that it should be fixed “by the end of the week” and the included drinks aren’t all included anymore.

Airfare is purchased & I cant find a similar itinerary that will work timing wise. When Bonnie posted and said there wasn’t a change to the included drinks I thought ok itineraries change, so I can’t access my reservation I’ll show up without doing check- in and enjoy a Martini when we set sail. Looks like Bonnie was misinformed and the “first impression “ is bad one.

My mother used to tell me “ You don’t get a 2nd chance to make a good first impression.”

Since we booked the itinerary has changed, I haven’t been able to access my reservation despite calling and being told for 2 months that it should be fixed “by the end of the week” and the included drinks aren’t all included anymore.

Airfare is purchased & I cant find a similar itinerary that will work timing wise. When Bonnie posted and said there wasn’t a change to the included drinks I thought ok itineraries change, so I can’t access my reservation I’ll show up without doing check- in and enjoy a Martini when we set sail. Looks like Bonnie was misinformed and the “first impression “ is bad one.

Hi jelayne,

I’m sorry you’re first impression is a bad one. :o

Hopefully we will be able to reverse this soon!

As for being misinformed, I won’t say definitively not, but I’ll be surprised if so since the statement I shared came from our Hotel Management which sets the policy.

I’m not sure why someone was turned down for a vodka martini. Either the guest requested a premium vodka, or the policy hasn’t been clarified well enough onboard, or a bit more one to one training is in order.

I won’t speculate on what went wrong but I promise to share the comments here with those in the know so that no one else is left martini-less.

And again, I’m sorry for your nervousness.

We are considering an Azamara cruise and the drinks package is important. By looking at the site we would buy the Ultimate package which I add in to the cost of the cruise for comparison with other lines (Seabourn etc). I would however get cranky if I bought a cruise/package and then because of a change by the cruise company I now had to pay extra for it I would be cranky.

Trying something new is also part of the experience so the choices of wine and premium spirits is important to me. I like my margaritas with Cointreau and Patron, Old Fashioneds with Makers Mark, Woodfords or a good Scotch, Martinis/Cosmos or Vodka Lime and Soda with Grey Goose or Belvedere. I also am open to trying them with something different on the list but not with Smirnoff, Jim Beam etc. Same goes for wines, life is too short to drink bad wine. Change the Tattinger for Bollinger as the by the glass bubbles you would have four new passengers for life. ;)

Hi jelayne,

As for being misinformed, I won’t say definitively not, but I’ll be surprised if so since the statement I shared came from our Hotel Management which sets the policy.

I’m not sure why someone was turned down for a vodka martini. Either the guest requested a premium vodka, or the policy hasn’t been clarified well enough onboard, or a bit more one to one training is in order.

I won’t speculate on what went wrong but I promise to share the comments here with those in the know so that no one else is left martini-less.

Bonnie, there is no vodka martini on the new revised list of included drinks on the website. (There is a Gibson which is a gin-based martini). As vermouth is no longer on the included list, then it would seem to me that it is not a ‘cocktail that can be made with included drinks’ - or am I misinterpreting the situation?

Hi jelayne,

I am very grateful that you are attempting to clarify the situation again. Fortunately I will be on board in a little over two weeks so will be able to see for myself what is going on.

However, would you agree that it is puzzling to us that if the only change to the complimentary list is the addition of a beer, why would the included cocktail list delete 12 previously included drinks?

And if nothing has changed there should be no confusion for the bar staff at all

I am very grateful that you are attempting to clarify the situation again. Fortunately I will be on board in a little over two weeks so will be able to see for myself what is going on.

However, would you agree that it is puzzling to us that if the only change to the complimentary list is the addition of a beer, why would the included cocktail list delete 12 previously included drinks?

And if nothing has changed there should be no confusion for the bar staff at all

And why the expense of printing new reformatted menus and change the website just to change one beer?

There’s definitely something going on, my day time drinks of choice are Long Island iced tea or Mai Tai. I’ve many Azamara cruises under my belt and I’ve NEVER been told when ordering there was a charge. Nor have I had to prompt a barman when ordering to make it with the included drinks. I have from time to time also ordered a vodka martini.

Based on the evidence on the menus where these drinks now appear with a charge against them, they do not appear on the included list and we are hearing onboard reports about charging I cannot believe the previous status quo exists.

I might have thought it did during last week, but not now.

Hazel we can do simultaneous testing between in two ships and compare notes!

Hi jelayne,

Bonnie, so you think vermouth is still an included alcohol? It's not on the included list, but if it is there and whilst it's only one item this would explain the confusion and may well extend to other things. Whatever, you have to admit that it is very, very muddled in the information it now gives on the website. I guess a "the policy has definitely not changed and it is what it has always been" is what many of us are looking to hear.

Phil

This is all very confusing.

The complimentary spirits list does not include creme de menthe nor white creme de cacao but both are used in the complimentary cocktails.

Both a kamikaze and a margarita would need triple sec and are complimentary but a long island iced tea which could be made with the included spirits (plus triple sec) isn't.