So what am I wearing to the mdr?

We are jumping ship from super casual ncl to rccl. I'm reading that there are 2 formal and 2 semi formal nights correct?

We are not gowns and tuxes types but would the silky black slacks and simple sequined top work for me on these nights?

Dark slacks white shirt and jacket for dh?

What about no jacket and dark shirt and tie instead?

DDs would wear short simple cocktail dresses

Dare I ask.....would we be denied access to the mdr if we just wore regular nice clothes like capris and tops?

We wear nice capris and tops or sun dresses each night on ncl

Dh wears khakis and polo or long sleeve cotton shirts with no tie.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

for formal night you are fine with what you plan. your spouse doesn't even need a jacket( or a tie).. just a collared shirt

sundresses are fine any time. the most recent cruise I took the only item not allowed in the MDR at dinner was flip flops.

Sounds perfect. There will always be people more dressed up as well as those who look like they just finished plowing the north forty but what you propose sounds great. Have a wonderful cruise.

Any of these will be absolutely fine.

There really is no such thing as semi formal anymore. It is really casual.

Some ships have been enforcing long pants for men at dinner, others have not

What you have described sounds perfect.:) Most nights I wear capris or a sundress, my husband wears jeans or khakis with a polo type shirt.

We rarely do the formal thing anymore. I will wear a cocktail dress and my husband will do a tie & jacket, sometimes no tie.

Supposedly, shorts are prohibited at dinner but you will see people in shorts.:')

Sherri:)

So if all he wears are slacks and a collared shirt he would be fine for "formal" night then?

If he was to wear jeans and a tee shirt, he would be allowed in the dining room on formal night. Sad, but true.

Here in Florida lots of people wear shorts to dinner at a sea side resort and/or restaurant

<waves from Palm Beach County>

Yes they do. Still fine on a cruise ship. For formal night throw a pair of slacks at it, still fine.

for formal night you are fine with what you plan. your spouse doesn't even need a jacket( or a tie).. just a collared shirt

sundresses are fine any time. the most recent cruise I took the only item not allowed in the MDR at dinner was flip flops.

I wear dressy flips flops on cruises all the time and never have any issues! I wear a sundress and then wear higher healed flip flops with decorative straps and never have any problems getting into the MDR or anywhere else.

RCI really isn't any more "formal" than NCL or Carnival. There are only 2 "formal" nights on a weeklong cruise..no "semi-formal" at all. It's merely a suggestion....not a law!

Good to know this. On ncl they call it "dress up or not" night

I was looking at the big cruise TA website I usually book thru and they still have the standard "formal" and "semi-formal" night listed. Most likely just a standard RCCL description they haven't updated.

Once we officially decide it's time to book I'll read more of the details on rccl website

My big hesitation right now is the non refundable deposit thing

I think I'll book on the phone with a human from rccl when the time comes

Sounds perfect. There will always be people more dressed up as well as those who look like they just finished plowing the north forty but what you propose sounds great. Have a wonderful cruise.

Now that's funny!!!! :D

We were on the Freedom this month and were at breakfast in the MDR waiting to be seated. There was a man in front of us with a sleeveless shirt on--it wasn't even a tank top and he was turned away from breakfast and was told "we have a dress code here". After we were seated, I noticed women with bathing suits on with no cover-up eating breakfast there. At dinner in the MDR, I saw the worst bunch of dressers I have ever seen on a cruise ship. Not only were they wearing shorts, but it looked as if they had slept in them. This was widespread. I really don't care what people wear, but it is difficult to know what to wear when the rules are so different depending on who seats you in the dining room.

Good to know this. On ncl they call it "dress up or not" night

I was looking at the big cruise TA website I usually book thru and they still have the standard "formal" and "semi-formal" night listed. Most likely just a standard RCCL description they haven't updated.

It's pretty much "dress up--or not!" on Royal Caribbean and Carnival, as well. While there are still people who enjoy dressing up and wear formal wear to formal night, there are others who will show up on formal night in....less than formal attire. :D Your proposed attire sounds perfect!

My daughter and I typically wear dresses (or I wear dressy pants and a sequined/glittery top) and my husband and son wear dress pants, dress shirts and ties. We don't bring suit coats anymore.

Well as other posters have said you don't have to dress up, I have seen people in the sort of clothes I would wear to do the gardening in!

However wouldn't you like to dress up its such fun? The first cruise we went on my then teenage DD's saw DH in his dinner jacket for the first time and said 'Wow dad you look like James Bond' As you can imagine he's been keen to wear it every cruise since then.

It is nice to see everyone in their glamorous gowns so why not give it a go?

Well as other posters have said you don't have to dress up, I have seen people in the sort of clothes I would wear to do the gardening in!

However wouldn't you like to dress up its such fun? The first cruise we went on my then teenage DD's saw DH in his dinner jacket for the first time and said 'Wow dad you look like James Bond' As you can imagine he's been keen to wear it every cruise since then.

lol I'm not packing gowns nor is dh bringing a tux or suit for that matter. We don't check luggage we just roll up great stuff to wear in our 21 inch roll ons

We cruise to relax and snorkel and swim

We dress up for land based formal functions

Oh and we don't salivate for the lobster on a cruise either as we live on Cape Cod.

One Word: Airlines!! and Baggage Fees....Sorry that's Three Words!:D

Mike

We are jumping ship from super casual ncl to rccl. I'm reading that there are 2 formal and 2 semi formal nights correct?

We are not gowns and tuxes types but would the silky black slacks and simple sequined top work for me on these nights?

Dark slacks white shirt and jacket for dh?

What about no jacket and dark shirt and tie instead?

DDs would wear short simple cocktail dresses

Dare I ask.....would we be denied access to the mdr if we just wore regular nice clothes like capris and tops?

We wear nice capris and tops or sun dresses each night on ncl

Dh wears khakis and polo or long sleeve cotton shirts with no tie.

Thanks

No longer mandatory dress wear . I wear khakis and polo shirts or button down shirts.I do not take jackets,slacks or ties.