Skipping to Crystal over Food

Why not sail Norwegian and get the specialty dining package? On a ship like Escape, they have a Brazilian Steakhouse AND a regular steakhouse among other offerings. Really solid food.

Is crystal, or any other luxury line, reasonable if traveling with children? I too don’t like food on Royal. Expecting and wanting more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How young? I can say on Oceania I don't think so, but the question should be asked on the Oceania board.... there are many experienced and well traveled "Bob's" on that forum with excellent information to help you.

I'm a bit of a foodie and have been disappointed with the food on my last Royal and NCL cruises. I was looking for an alternative one day and stumbled on a thread someone started in the Celebrity section about jumping from that line to Oceania. Oceania claims to have one of the better culinary programs at sea. After a little homework, I was pretty surprised at how close the all-in number is for an Oceania cruise when compared to the RCI cruise I have booked in January. I'd have to make some sacrifice in cabin (JS vs. Balcony) but might be worth it for some.

There's a poster on the O forum who used to sail on Celebrity exclusively, and his quote is

"It appears, as some have mentioned, that pricesfor standard inside/outside cabins on Oceania are about the same as suites wenormally book on the mainstream lines. For me, all of the qualities thatOceania offers trump a luxury cabin on a mainstream line."

If ones expectations are in-line with what you are paying, and you don't want to pay for anything else other than your cruise fare, RCL is still an excellent cruise vacation. For example, I'm not steering away from RCL at all... couple cruises booked... one in 3 weeks.

We did a Disney Cruise and hated it. Found their food disappointing.

We sailed on our first Disney cruise last November (7 nights aboard the Fantasy). We had a wonderful time, and there are many aspects in which Disney truly excels, but cuisine was definitely not one of them. My overall assessment of Disney after our cruise, is that they are a mainstream cruise line that charges luxury cruise line prices. Glad we sailed on them, but not in a hurry to book our next Disney cruise.

When comparing what is included comparing RCI to the upscale cruise lines, one thing to consider is do you really want those inclusions? Yes, you can add up all the extra things you get on the upscale line, but would you be purchasing those items on RCI? If not, then it's not really a true comparison.

We sailed on our first Disney cruise last November (7 nights aboard the Fantasy). We had a wonderful time, and there are many aspects in which Disney truly excels, but cuisine was definitely not one of them. My overall assessment of Disney after our cruise, is that they are a mainstream cruise line that charges luxury cruise line prices. Glad we sailed on them, but not in a hurry to book our next Disney cruise.

Having been on three Disney cruises I agree. an overpriced mediocre cruise line. If you want a great experience for the entire family better to consider an oasis class Royal ship

I'm just a meat and potatoes guy easy to please,

If you can’t find any food you like, that statement would appear to be not very accurate. I also am a meat and potatoes guy and consider myself easy to please as well and I have no problem with food on Royal. I can always find something not only quite edible but what I consider to be pretty good.

If you can’t find any food you like, that statement would appear to be not very accurate. I also am a meat and potatoes guy and consider myself easy to please as well and I have no problem with food on Royal. I can always find something not only quite edible but what I consider to be pretty good.

It does make you wonder just what these people like, right? I mean, I go to Michelin restaurants, many of the best restaurants in the world. I know good food. And cruise line food is obviously not Michelin, but I've absolutely never had a meal that was so bad that I wouldn't sail that particular line again. It's just so weird the complaints about food. Really, you could put an entree from 5 different cruise lines in front of someone and they would be lucky to guess one correctly, it's all so similar.

I'm just a meat and potatoes guy easy to please, but you want WHAT $$ for Johnny Rockets?

No disrespect, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if you're complaining that $7.95 for someone to eat whatever they want from onion rings to hamburgers is too expensive, I have to assume that you haven't been out to eat on land recently, much less on the ocean. You can't even get out of a McDonald's drive-thru these days for $7.95 a person and feel satiated.

If you were in the MDR, couldn't you have asked for a different plate and told your server that you didn't care for what you received? I feel like a lot of the complaints I read on this board are easily solvable, could have been avoided by different choices, or are flat out unreasonable. I find it hard to believe that on a ship with 21 choices of where to eat that you were disappointed every single time.

How young? I can say on Oceania I don't think so, but the question should be asked on the Oceania board.... there are many experienced and well traveled "Bob's" on that forum with excellent information to help you.

Elementary school aged. Very experienced cruisers (around 15 to 20 cruises each).

No disrespect, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but if you're complaining that $7.95 for someone to eat whatever they want from onion rings to hamburgers is too expensive, I have to assume that you haven't been out to eat on land recently, much less on the ocean. You can't even get out of a McDonald's drive-thru these days for $7.95 a person and feel satiated.

If you were in the MDR, couldn't you have asked for a different plate and told your server that you didn't care for what you received? I feel like a lot of the complaints I read on this board are easily solvable, could have been avoided by different choices, or are flat out unreasonable. I find it hard to believe that on a ship with 21 choices of where to eat that you were disappointed every single time.

JR is no longer $7.95

Having been on three Disney cruises I agree. an overpriced mediocre cruise line. If you want a great experience for the entire family better to consider an oasis class Royal ship

Having been on 7 Disney cruises, I think they are a high-quality as well as high-priced cruise line. However, their Transatlantic and Panama Canal cruises give the best bang for the buck, and those were my last 3 Disney cruises. If money were no object, more of my cruises would be on Disney - and I don't cruise with kids. However, RCI usually wins my vote for good itineraries at great prices, and that's why my next 4 booked cruises are with them.

By the way - I'm not a fussy eater, and have been satisfied with the included meals on RCI, Disney, HAL, Princess, and Celebrity. I don't cruise for the food.

Edited by NancyIL

Well I can say for sure that if I had the money, I would certainly cruise Crystal. But if that kind of money I’d probably have a Lexus over my Toyota Avalon. There is a huge price difference. I’m not sure how you can even compare the two lines

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We haven’t sailed crystal. Yet. We might when we are sailing without kids (almost empty nesters). But we LOVE the entertainment options and multiple music venues on RC. So outside of itineraries we aren’t actively searching out other options

But we are not big foodies. I don’t have to cook and clean? Sounds good.

But I understand if 5 Star food the whole cruise is your priority then maybe RC isn’t your thing.

As several have said, to each his own.

Still a bit confused about the comment of the RC board making fun of Carnival food for years. Maybe a few, but I don’t think it’s systemic.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruising means different things to people. If the op wants better food, I would be curious to know how he likes his upcoming Crystal cruise. We don't cruise for the food and we have always found something that we like to eat on a cruise. If I want high end dining, I can book a restaurant in Chicago. Food is at the bottom of the list when I book a cruise. I look at ports and activities that the ship offers. Good luck to the op. I hope he finds the cruise line that has outstanding food for him.

We have been on 8 cruises on Carnival and 1 on Oasis and are about giving up on both cruise lines. These Carnival ships are falling apart and the food is not as good as it used to be. Oasis? Nice ship but all hat and no cattle in the food department. I'm just a meat and potatoes guy easy to please, but you want WHAT $$ for Johnny Rockets? Celebrity is having issues too according to their forum, and not everyone is thrilled with Oceania even...

That's it, I'm jumping ahead to Crystal Cruise Line. RCCL pax have been making fun of us on the Carnival forum for years, and then you try your product and it has issues of it's own. No more. I want good food on a nice ship without all the mud slinging that goes back and forth between the Carnival and Royal Cheerleaders.

And before you say that I won't like Crystals food, no. They've got all the comfort foods in high end quality: Kosher meats - Reuben sandwiches - Brazilian Grills. We might not like fancy critter dishes like octopus and snails, but we still like good high end grub on a nice ship.

I literally have nothing. You are going to pay 2 to 3 times what you were paying on Carnival for Crystal. OK. I hope to heck the food is better.

Good luck and peace out.:halo::evilsmile::eek:

JC

I believe JR is $13 now, so $30 for 2 with tip.

The thing is, if McDonald's were on a ship, I wouldn't pay $4 for an Egg Mcmuffin. Food is suppose to be included, or discounted compared to land prices. Ask me to buy a $5 Mcmuffin, and I'll buy it in port on principal.

The thing is, if McDonald's were on a ship, I wouldn't pay $4 for an Egg Mcmuffin. Food is suppose to be included, or discounted compared to land prices. Ask me to buy a $5 Mcmuffin, and I'll buy it in port on principal.

This is what I think people constantly forget about in their discussions about "specialty" restaurants. They always compare the cover charge to a land based restaurant, yet they ALWAYS forget that they've already paid for food in their fare.

We've only eaten in one specialty restaurant in all of our cruises and it was the Italian place on NCL. Paid $15pp for it. The meal that we had would have cost about $50 in one of our favorite Italian restaurants at home. The apps and dessert were great, the entrée was so-so. The chicken parm was excellent, but the spaghetti side was atrocious. The noodles reminded me of canned noodles because they were so overcooked and the sauce was reminiscent of tomato soup. Our subsequent cruise was on CCL and we had the same dish served in the MDR and it was better than what we paid for on NCL. We don't put a lot of stock in specialty restaurants.

We jumped ship from RC to Seabourn several years ago.

Long time RC fans we hit Diamond Plus but in the end found that for us the numbers just didn't work relative to what you actually get.

The RC onboard experience is based around the cheapest cabins on each ship. As soon as you start paying a premium for better suites the fare rockets upwards but the experience remains largely similar.

Our first cruise on Seabourn for a standard 300 sq ft cabin was actually cheaper than a slightly smaller junior suite on Oasis but the onboard experience with Seabourn was geared around that fare, not a cheaper inside cabin - they don't have any.

With Seabourn everything is included, drinks, speciality dining, gratuities etc. and the "standard" food outlets are excellent. Then of course you have loads more space and are treated as a human being, not cattle.

The entertainment options on RC are theoretically better providing of course you can actually do them. I still remember the queues for the Flowrider. Once again there is a solution but it involved spending $2-300 on private hire.

I won't knock RC, we've had some great trips but add on prices kept rising, the basic offering kept falling and premium accommodation became ever more expensive to the point where grouped together it was better value to just "do the job properly" and book Seabourn.

As I said initially if you're happy with the cheapest cabin on the ship then your experience is geared perfectly to your fare, the problem is we wanted premium accommodation.

Henry :)

I have been on Crystal once many years ago on the Harmony to Alaska, I had a suite booked on Celebrity when my agent called me about a great deal on Crystal it was I think one day longer we had an outside cabin but no Balcony.

Price was about the same, the difference was night and day all along the line. Like going to a Lexus dealership for service vs a Ford dealership. Crystal had someone meet us at the gate when our plane arrived and took us down to baggage claim to get our luggage picked up and they had porters with carts to take our bags to the bus. Somehow my suitcase did not make the flight from Denver. The Crystal person spoke with the United folks and they had put my bag on the next flight which was about an hour after ours. they stayed with us at baggage claim until my bag arrived then made sure there was a bus to take us to the ship.

Happy hour with appetizers before dinner the waiters knew the food I liked or didn't after the first couple of nights and always brought me more of what I liked or they thought I would like and never even walked by me with bacon wrapped liver!

Drinks order once and the bartender knew your drink the next day.

Now this was a while ago so Crystal may have changed. But just like I will splurge on a rental car now and then I always look for a great deal on Crystal or any of the higher end ships.

I have mostly done Royal cruises and one Celebrity as a mum and head cook and bottle washer I am just pleased that someone else prepares, cooks and clears up I haven't had an issue with any of the food on my trips but if i get something and dont like it i ask for something else . Food isn't really an issue for me i choose by itinerary . Hope you have a great cruise whoever you choose to go with x